why is the deserter lockout still present in regs?

abhaxus

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in VIC. We have no kind of connection to our home. I'm tethering my phone at the moment. All the houses around us have NBN but due to screw-ups in the rollout they skipped us. We contacted NBN and long story short we're probably going to have to go to the TC Ombudsman.

Thanks for your advice, I'll give superloop a call and see what they say. I've never ever had ping less than 240 but I've always used Telstra, iinet, Optus or TPG. WTFast seems to help stop the random DCs but it hasn't improved my ping much.

It would be good if there was some way the devs could tell when someone has left a match early due to internet issues. Maybe they're worries people will abuse it? For example pulling the internet cable out of their PC to pretend they dc'ed so they can just log back in and re-queue.

Man that sucks. No wonder you think Aussie network is bad.

We also got missed too when they rolled out our area (lucky we still had ADSL while they fixed it). The fibre went right past our home but they didn’t put a pit in anywhere near our place. So NBN had to send out their third level install team to dig up the side walk just for our place.

But because we went through a good ISP, they did all the leg work for us to make NBN do the right thing. The first ISP wanted to charge us $5000, the second one (I think it was AussieBB) charged us $0. Its definitely worth finding the right ISP that have an Australian call Centre / support and not an overseas call centre.

We only moved to superloop because AussieBB switched their international peering arrangements to Telstra when they sold out to a bigger company. Then our international connection went to crap. Superloop has been a god send. Sure they occasionally have an issue, but you can call them up or contact via chat and tell them the provisioning isn’t keeping up with the guys streaming in the area and they boost it straight away and any lag disappears (They have it more automated now too, so it often does it automatically).

WTFast doesn’t really improve my ping either. But it does smooth out the spikes and pack loss. Also if there are connection issues, and the ping does increase dramatically, I can use different hops to steer around many problems and get the ping back to normal.

The game can already tell if you DC. If you are in a group with someone and they DC, their portrait grays out and it has a red broken lightning bolt through it.

All Bioware need to do is code the lock out system to recognise the difference from a DC or leaving the match. And sure, some randoms probably would pull out the cable. But that would require them to restart the game each time and login again. The majority of DC’s would be legitimate players.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Man that sucks. No wonder you think Aussie network is bad.

We also got missed too when they rolled out our area (lucky we still had ADSL while they fixed it). The fibre went right past our home but they didn’t put a pit in anywhere near our place. So NBN had to send out their third level install team to dig up the side walk just for our place.

But because we went through a good ISP, they did all the leg work for us to make NBN do the right thing. The first ISP wanted to charge us $5000, the second one (I think it was AussieBB) charged us $0. Its definitely worth finding the right ISP that have an Australian call Centre / support and not an overseas call centre.

We only moved to superloop because AussieBB switched their international peering arrangements to Telstra when they sold out to a bigger company. Then our international connection went to crap. Superloop has been a god send. Sure they occasionally have an issue, but you can call them up or contact via chat and tell them the provisioning isn’t keeping up with the guys streaming in the area and they boost it straight away and any lag disappears (They have it more automated now too, so it often does it automatically).

WTFast doesn’t really improve my ping either. But it does smooth out the spikes and pack loss. Also if there are connection issues, and the ping does increase dramatically, I can use different hops to steer around many problems and get the ping back to normal.

The game can already tell if you DC. If you are in a group with someone and they DC, their portrait grays out and it has a red broken lightning bolt through it.

All Bioware need to do is code the lock out system to recognise the difference from a DC or leaving the match. And sure, some randoms probably would pull out the cable. But that would require them to restart the game each time and login again. The majority of DC’s would be legitimate players.

It's a shame all your internet tips aren't more visible to Aussie SWTOR players. Or maybe they are somewhere else? I'm in the SWTOR Players Club group on FB and there are definitely other Aussie SWTOR players with ping/internet issues that could benefit from this information.

Cheers! :)

And sure, some randoms probably would pull out the cable. But that would require them to restart the game each time and login again. The majority of DC’s would be legitimate players.

You can write a pretty simple script for essentially a lag switch. Worst that happens is they get booted to the server select screen.

You can write a pretty simple script for essentially a lag switch. Worst that happens is they get booted to the server select screen.

And realistically, how many people know how to do this or would bother to do it. We are talking a small percentage of players at best, usually undesirables that are likely to use speed hacks or other methods to cheat in the game.

Maybe Bioware could do something about those players with permanent bans instead of penalising players who’ve done nothing wrong.

And realistically, how many people know how to do this or would bother to do it. We are talking a small percentage of players at best, usually undesirables that are likely to use speed hacks or other methods to cheat in the game.

Maybe Bioware could do something about those players with permanent bans instead of penalising players who’ve done nothing wrong.

Its easier than you think, and I'd bet more people would abuse it than you think they would, especially given how frequent leavers were before the lockout was added.

Its easier than you think, and I'd bet more people would abuse it than you think they would, especially given how frequent leavers were before the lockout was added.

I know it’s not overly difficult, but neither are a lot of things in this game. You give to much credit thinking players in this game would know how or could be bothered. Half don’t even know how to gear up or use DCDs.

I’m sure you’d get ranked players who’d use it in ranked if it stopped them losing ELO or they were wintrading. But I doubt you’d have causal pvpers doing it in regs.

The easy solution is removing the lock out for regs or at least modifying it in ways I’ve previously suggested. The lockout hasn’t really stopped people rage quitting regs as far as I can see. Every match still has people leave or back fill. All it’s really doing (in its current form) is stopping people from wanting to pvp.

People weren't staying in matches to get their faces stepped on, how do we keep them in matches to get their faces stepped on and how do we keep them from going afk in a corner?

You don't.

You don't ask this question unless you acknowledge that you want people to stay and get their faces stepped on so you can...?

In a vacuum, if they don't want to play with you, they won't. If Bioware is using psychologically manipulative tactics (FOMO in seasons) to try to make them play with you, which Bioware is, they'll find ways to deal with the situation that you won't approve of.

The easy solution is removing the lock out for regs or at least modifying it in ways I’ve previously suggested. The lockout hasn’t really stopped people rage quitting regs as far as I can see. Every match still has people leave or back fill. All it’s really doing (in its current form) is stopping people from wanting to pvp.

^ This I agree with. The lockout is more of an obstacle imo. There are different instances and I really don't want to go through each of them because I feel like we have all been through most of them but removing the lock out, I feel like would be step 1. Next step would potentially give us a PvP group finder (cross fingers). By then, you pick what you want and then if you somehow have a. a ****** team or b. against a premade..just a couple examples, you can't really backout of that because you chose that and then incur the lockout penalty of x mins sounds fair to me.

Absolutely stupid mechanics in REGS. Games most of the times are one sided and staying in one that auto loss is stupid and not fair. Today is bonus warzone and if there is a tank on your team you are winning if there is not you waiting for other team to win so STUPID bioware...

Absolutely stupid mechanics in REGS. Games most of the times are one sided and staying in one that auto loss is stupid and not fair. Today is bonus warzone and if there is a tank on your team you are winning if there is not you waiting for other team to win so STUPID bioware...

PvP isn't supposed to be fair. You're fighting people not NPC's.

It should absolutely be fair with respect to class, tank/healer, and premade distribution.

And it already does that. The system tries to ensure both sides have a healer or tank and prioritizes premades vs premades.

And it already does that. The system tries to ensure both sides have a healer or tank and prioritizes premades vs premades.

I am pretty much at the point with bioware as I am with politicians. How do you know a politician is lying? The politician is speaking.

Sometimes what you believe bears out. Sometimes not. It feels like all too often it does not. Whatever system is in place is not good enough. As we have commented earlier, fewer, higher quality games are preferable to most than faster, lower quality beat-downs. I don't mind losing too much. I DO mind premades that spawn camp and number farm. It is obnoxious.

Edited by Sappharan

I am pretty much at the point with bioware as I am with politicians. How do you know a politician is lying? The politician is speaking.

Sometimes what you believe bears out. Sometimes not. It feels like all too often it does not. Whatever system is in place is not good enough. As we have commented earlier, fewer, higher quality games are preferable to most than faster, lower quality beat-downs. I don't mind losing too much. I DO mind premades that spawn camp and number farm. It is obnoxious.

I played most of yesterday solo an didn't come across any noticeable premades. The minute I formed a group I ran into a premade every match and we were only a group of 3 people. This has been my experience every time I run a group. See for yourself sometime if you don't believe me.

Despite what you want to believe, the system does prioritize group vs group before putting group vs soio.

I played most of yesterday solo an didn't come across any noticeable premades. The minute I formed a group I ran into a premade every match and we were only a group of 3 people. This has been my experience every time I run a group. See for yourself sometime if you don't believe me.

Despite what you want to believe, the system does prioritize group vs group before putting group vs soio.

The biggest issue with premade’s is when there are an uneven number of them in the queue and population is low at that time. Then you can see a premade vs full pug every match.

This has become even worse in the new lowbie bracket since they merged them. Bioware’s reasoning was to put more people together, but that’s not what’s happening, less people are actually playing lowbies than before (at the times I play).

The other night I played for 4 hours across multiple Alts and there was only one premade in the queue for that 4 hours and they were all above lvl 70. Have you ever tried to play arena against a premade vs pug and expected to carry the team because your the only other good player in the queue? So you get matched against the premade everytime? Then Amplify that when your whole team is sub lvl 40 and the other team is all above lvl 70.

It’s exhausting and draining on your mental abilities to not snap at your own team. But it’s not their fault because it’s lowbies and they are learning. It’s also not ranked, so expectations are low to start with. And the premade is still there farming these people. It’s sad and trollish behaviour when it gets to that lvl,

The few 8 vs 8 matches I got were against this premade too. Every single one. What’s sad is these guys were good and were obviously ranked ability players trolling. It’s these sorts of premades that give every premades a bad name. It’s also this sort of system that allows premades vs pugs that creates toxicity and rage in matches,

I saw so much toxicity towards the premade team that I started to defend their right to premade, but I also privately pointed out to them that lowbies isn’t the place for players like them to be premading and trolling new players. They didn’t seem to care and called me bad. At which point I logged off for the night (as Im sure many others did too).

Premades can have a place, but they can also ruin the majority of peoples fun in the queue if there aren’t other premades for them to play.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The biggest issue with premade’s is when there are an uneven number of them in the queue and population is low at that time. Then you can see a premade vs full pug every match.

This has become even worse in the new lowbie bracket since they merged them. Bioware’s reasoning was to put more people together, but that’s not what’s happening, less people are actually playing lowbies than before (at the times I play).

The other night I played for 4 hours across multiple Alts and there was only one premade in the queue for that 4 hours and they were all above lvl 70. Have you ever tried to play arena against a premade vs pug and expected to carry the team because your the only other good player in the queue? So you get matched against the premade everytime? Then Amplify that when your whole team is sub lvl 40 and the other team is all above lvl 70.

It’s exhausting and draining on your mental abilities to not snap at your own team. But it’s not their fault because it’s lowbies and they are learning. It’s also not ranked, so expectations are low to start with. And the premade is still there farming these people. It’s sad and trollish behaviour when it gets to that lvl,

The few 8 vs 8 matches I got were against this premade too. Every single one. What’s sad is these guys were good and were obviously ranked ability players trolling. It’s these sorts of premades that give every premades a bad name. It’s also this sort of system that allows premades vs pugs that creates toxicity and rage in matches,

I saw so much toxicity towards the premade team that I started to defend their right to premade, but I also privately pointed out to them that lowbies isn’t the place for players like them to be premading and trolling new players. They didn’t seem to care and called me bad. At which point I logged off for the night (as Im sure many others did too).

Premades can have a place, but they can also ruin the majority of peoples fun in the queue if there aren’t other premades for them to play.

They don't have the right to premade, though. This may in fact break ToS:

Interfere with or disrupt another player's use of an EA Service. This includes disrupting the normal flow of game play, chat or dialogue within an EA Service by, for example, using vulgar or harassing language, being abusive, excessive shouting (all caps), spamming, flooding or hitting the return key repeatedly.

If they can't run groups in lowbies without thoroughly ruining the experience for everyone else, they need to not run groups in lowbies at all. If they continue to make the game a worse place just for the sake of knowing they ruined someone's day, well... that's why there's the banhammer.

I personally think it's good that they're teaching the lowbies what PvP is all about and where it always goes, but I guess I'm just jaded and cynical.

If they can't run groups in lowbies without thoroughly ruining the experience for everyone else, they need to not run groups in lowbies at all. If they continue to make the game a worse place just for the sake of knowing they ruined someone's day, well... that's why there's the banhammer.

I personally think it's good that they're teaching the lowbies what PvP is all about and where it always goes, but I guess I'm just jaded and cynical.

That is the biggest stretch of nonsense I've ever seen lol.

Winning in a warzone should be an automatic ban, on the off chance that someone was offended, or had a bad day because they weren't confirmed as the savior of the galaxy for the 47th time.

With more population playing regs (due "brilliant" idea and invasion of GC players) the pops are healthy and fast. When i say healthy is just a way of saying, they are quite terrible, because most players don't actually want to be there.

Anyway. Considering also that, and what it has been written here: we need the lockout on regs to exist no more. Keep it for ranked if you must, makes sense only there. Or put a window time before match starts to let you leave, at least (tho, that doesn't help at all people with disconnects issues).

Please remove it.

There has never been something that so consistently is hated by your community. This needs to be removed immediately. I am not sure why you think it is a good idea to punish players because of your own design choices and bugs.

bioware claims it is to create a less toxic environment. the real reason is they ask number farming ******* what they should do to fix regs and the only suggestion they gave was the leave timer, because people leaving ruins their number farm. it was also an easy change to make it look like they are doing something to address the situation in regs without actually addressing any of the real issues contributing to the problem.

the real issue stems from how imbalanced teams are 95% of the time and from the devs being so bad at their jobs that people don't care about trying to win the match. instead they try to pad the scoreboard as much as possible in an attempt to impress themselves.

(tho, that doesn't help at all people with disconnects issues).

Please remove it.

If you're having disconnect issues then you should fix that first. You're ruining the game for the other people on your team. The lockout isn't going anywhere, and rightfully so.

bioware claims it is to create a less toxic environment. the real reason is they ask number farming ******* what they should do to fix regs and the only suggestion they gave was the leave timer, because people leaving ruins their number farm. it was also an easy change to make it look like they are doing something to address the situation in regs without actually addressing any of the real issues contributing to the problem.

the real issue stems from how imbalanced teams are 95% of the time and from the devs being so bad at their jobs that people don't care about trying to win the match. instead they try to pad the scoreboard as much as possible in an attempt to impress themselves.

So how often do you break 1mil damage? Do you ever do more than 2k dps? Have you ever considered that the problem is not matchmaking, but you? Every day I play and I get teams full of people that keyboard turn, don't use keybinds, don't read the tooltips on their abilities and never use their DCD's and end a full game with 100k damage and I still manage to win more than lose while solo queueing.

Maybe instead of asking them to remove the lockout so you can jump ship at the first sign of a team not carrying you, you should try instead to get better at the game.

Oh geez, how I didnt think of that? lol

If you must know, I don't have disconnect issues, maybe sometimes, like most of people. But my friends can have a disconnect problem too and that makes it a group problem. You know, friends? ;) Multiplayer game? :p

Also, if you even play pvp you know there are bug inside the warzones that can force you to get out of it.

The disconnect is not the main problem of the lockout, just one. These points have been mentioned everywhere.

"Is regs". If someone has a disconnect problem and leaves a match is not the end of the world for an ops group formed by 8 players. This is an opinion from a player who likes regs , plays a lot of regs, and plays to win. So , yea. Remove the lockout in regs, keep it for ranked.

Edited by _Miriya_

Maybe instead of asking them to remove the lockout so you can jump ship at the first sign of a team not carrying you, you should try instead to get better at the game.

Actually if we have those kind of players in our team, I want them out of it soon as possible. But they don't leave. They stay AFK, because brilliant Lockout.

Actually if we have those kind of players in our team, I want them out of it soon as possible. But they don't leave. They stay AFK, because brilliant Lockout.

What good does afking do when you need a win to complete the daily and weekly? The lockout and the daily changes is one of the better things they have done for pvp.