Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

They haven't decided on anything yet. They have stated that mergers will not happen until they can figure out how to transfer guilds intact with all their stuff (strongholds,etc) and personal assets as well and naming has been mentioned as well.

I think mergers will still be the last resort even if they resolve the guild transfers etc since one of the questions Keith mentioned in one of his posts here was "we need to understand why players don't want to move" since they have also stated in the past their preference for none forced merges I think they will try and resolve it and let the community sort themselves out first.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.. so with this server merge my JC will be doomed, is like I'll be FORCED to delete character. Why?

- JC is useless in PvP

- Megaserver means stealth-ed players ninja looting ALL heroics, so i'll be unable to complete any heroic unless I'll be on at odd hours at night . Why are some classes pushed down the drain? NO NO AND NO TO SERVER MERGE !!!

Edited by notanjelika

Yeah.. so with this server merge my JC will be doomed, is like I'll be FORCED to delete character. Why?

- JC is useless in PvP

- Megaserver means stealth-ed players ninja looting ALL heroics, so i'll be unable to complete any heroic unless I'll be on at odd hours at night . Why are some classes pushed down the drain? NO NO AND NO TO SERVER MERGE !!!

I don't even know where to begin with this but I'll give it a shot...

a) Your class has nothing to do with server merges. It's not like Consulars will go to one server and Knights to another and b) Heroics are instanced. No one can stealth into an instance and c) even if they could the rewards are for quest completion and can not be ninja looted.

You might want to rethink that signature.

Edited by kodrac

a) Your class has nothing to do with server merges. It's not like Consulars will go to one server and Knights to another and b) Heroics are instanced. No one can stealth into an instance and c) even if they could the rewards are for quest completion and can not be ninja looted.

Not all heroics are instanced. There are quite a few that are open world, or that have an open world portion.

You are correct that the rewards cannot be "ninja'd", but the objectives and mobs can be "ninja'd" and are more often than not on some servers, it seems.

I think the confusion was the use of JC here in the forums. Not everyone knows that means Jedi Covenant the server not Jedi Consular the class. The concern about ninjas is legitimate even if its not heroics they disrupt. Many heroics are not instanced so it can affect some (though those are more affected by the number of players running them simultaneously and the normally poor re-spawn rates that are there to prevent mob farming).

Not all heroics are instanced. There are quite a few that are open world, or that have an open world portion.

You are correct that the rewards cannot be "ninja'd", but the objectives and mobs can be "ninja'd" and are more often than not on some servers, it seems.

Regardless, mob density is hardly a sticking point for server mergers. That's just hysterics.

Regardless, mob density is hardly a sticking point for server mergers. That's just hysterics.

Not necessarily a sticking point but definitely a concern. Any server merge should take that into consideration. Reducing the instance populations of the open world areas would significantly reduce the "hysteria" as you call it. Some people get "hysterical" if it takes more than 5 minutes for a group content pop.

I think the confusion was the use of JC here in the forums. Not everyone knows that means Jedi Covenant the server not Jedi Consular the class. The concern about ninjas is legitimate even if its not heroics they disrupt. Many heroics are not instanced so it can affect some (though those are more affected by the number of players running them simultaneously and the normally poor re-spawn rates that are there to prevent mob farming).

Re-read the post. He said my JC is doomed, I'll have to delete character, JC is useless in PvP... Clearly not talking about a server.

Not necessarily a sticking point but definitely a concern. Any server merge should take that into consideration. Reducing the instance populations of the open world areas would significantly reduce the "hysteria" as you call it. Some people get "hysterical" if it takes more than 5 minutes for a group content pop.

Waiting for spawns... actually I'm not sure know what to say... If that's a concern then, I hate to be "that guy", but it's an online game. MMO = multiplayer online. It's a given. To expect otherwise is irrational. And to use it as an excuse against mergers is even more irrational.

Edited by kodrac

Waiting for spawns... actually I'm not sure know what to say... If that's a concern then, I hate to be "that guy", but it's an online game. MMO = multiplayer online. It's a given. To expect otherwise is irrational. And to use it as an excuse against mergers is even more irrational.

Yeah, but some people feel like they're special and shouldn't have to wait for anything...what do you say to them huh? ;)

Re-read the post. He said my JC is doomed, I'll have to delete character, JC is useless in PvP... Clearly not talking about a server.

I didn't say it was an excuse against mergers. You need to work on your reading comprehension. Where I come from "not necessarily a sticking point" does not equal "shouldn't merge servers because". Keith said in his podcast he wanted to understand why people don't want to move to more populated servers. As insignificant as you may think it is, it is one of the reasons. I think it is insignificant to have to wait 5 minutes for group content to pop. That does not mean it is not a legitimate concern. That is the problem with the server merge crowd. They believe only their concerns are warranted and everyone else's are insignificant.

Edited by DWho

I didn't say it was an excuse against mergers. You need to work on your reading comprehension.

I stopped reading right there. Maybe you didn't, but the post I quoted did. You know, the post you failed to read correctly. When you failed at reading the post I quoted I didn't toss any insulting little gems back to you. Reading through this thread it's clear you like to argue for argument's sake regardless of content or correctness. Or better yet, for self gratification. There's no point in engaging someone like you any further. Every teeny tiny minuscule thing is a point of contention for you. You can gratify yourself to your heart's content but not with me unless you have something to actually discuss.

Edited by kodrac

I think it is insignificant to have to wait 5 minutes for group content to pop. That does not mean it is not a legitimate concern. That is the problem with the server merge crowd. They believe only their concerns are warranted and everyone else's are insignificant.
Or having to wait 30 minutes, or 60 minutes, or even longer. Having to wait for group content to pop is obviously no argument for a server merge. It just is not a legitimate concern. That's almost like saying that no longer having RP servers is a legitimate concern. ;) Edited by Tisaren

Or having to wait 30 minutes, or 60 minutes, or even longer. Having to wait for group content to pop is obviously no argument for a server merge. It just is not a legitimate concern. That's almost like saying that no longer having RP servers is a legitimate concern. ;)

Once again, I did not say that. The quote was "I think it is insignificant to have to wait 5 minutes for group content to pop. That does not mean it is not a legitimate concern". Geez, you have to actually change what is said to try and make a point.

Edited by DWho

I stopped reading right there. Maybe you didn't, but the post I quoted did. You know, the post you failed to read correctly. When you failed at reading the post I quoted I didn't toss any insulting little gems back to you. Reading through this thread it's clear you like to argue for argument's sake regardless of content or correctness. Or better yet, for self gratification. There's no point in engaging someone like you any further. Every teeny tiny minuscule thing is a point of contention for you. You can gratify yourself to your heart's content but not with me unless you have something to actually discuss.

Very well lets discuss concerns about server mergers then

Pro:

1) better pop times for random group content

2) a more "busy" feel to the game

3) better GTN prices.

Con

1) losing Guild assets, having to disband guilds, losing strongholds purchased with credits, having to take everything out of legacy storage so as not to lose it, etc. (I counted these all as one since Bioware has said they are at least working on the Guild portion and the others can be handled using the same code more or less - these are by far the biggest issues with mergers)

2) chat toxicity/trolling - both through chat and actions/emotes - this is a problem with higher population servers

3) Server instability - can be fiixed but currently the "newer" servers are having issues

4) loss of names - not necessarily a big one but a concern expressed by both sides.

5) ninjas. People who run only end game content don't have to worry about these but people trying to level do and that is most of the people playing the game.

Fix the Cons and server mergers are not a problem. Going ahead without fixing them is. The issue is that that is going to take some time and there are already people calling for mergers before these are fixed.

But I am saying that.

I guess I would disagree with you then. Having to wait 30 minutes for a PVP warzone would be to long. For an Operation, not so much. FPs and Uprisings fall in between I guess. If they are not popping at all, maybe there is a reason for it other than population. Someone in another thread said all that was popping for FPs was Hammer Station. If you uncheck Hammer Station and everyone else wants to run it, I guess you won't get any FP pops. Not really a population issue.

Edited by DWho

Fix the Cons and server mergers are not a problem. Going ahead without fixing them is. The issue is that that is going to take some time and there are already people calling for mergers before these are fixed.

We're on page 240 of this thread. Con #5 wasn't even on the list until page 239 because it suited your needs. It's beyond obvious at this point that the cons list will just continue to grow because, as I've noted earlier, every little thing is a point of contention. There really is no need to continue the circle jerk.

We're on page 240 of this thread. Con #5 wasn't even on the list until page 239 because it suited your needs. It's beyond obvious at this point that the cons list will just continue to grow because, as I've noted earlier, every little thing is a point of contention. There really is no need to continue the circle jerk.

You know what, I'm tired of this too. I think I'll go and farm credits and mats on empty servers and AFK PVP on Harbinger. After all, according to the server merge people, that is the only reason to be on a low pop server and all casual PVPers go AFK in warzones. Enjoy the continuation of this pointless discussion.

With a server merge comes other inherent problems.

For instance, there are no guarantees of increased pops for any group activities. 30 minute or more queues may still continue.

And what about the quality of the players migrating over? You could very well be teamed up with more "bads" or AFKers. It's in the realm of possibility.

Will those people in the pro merge crowd be back on these forums screaming about how bad those "refugees" are?

Food for thought

Another thing I have thought of in regards to U.S. servers. If west coast servers merge, PVE and PVP where does the lonely little RP server BC go?

Same for the east coast. I ask Bioware if they do this make each play style have their own server. 1 PVE 1 PVP 1 RP

done n dunn

Edited by Sephiryth