Petition: Server Transfers

UlaVii

But is Bioware okay with having a quiet little community? Does running a server with a small population give them an advantage financially?

What business is that of yours? You're not their chief financial officer nor their tax accountant. Worry about enjoying your sub and let them worry about managing their financial affairs. Obviously if they aren't here complaining about server pop with the rest, they must have things well in hand.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What business is that of yours? You're not their chief financial officer nor their tax accountant. Worry about enjoying your sub and let them worry about managing their financial affairs. Obviously if they aren't here complaining about server pop with the rest, they must have things well in hand.

That's a pretty aggressive stance you have there. I'm not saying I'm their chief financial officer or their tax accountant, which is why I'm asking if they'd gain from it financially. Otherwise, I wouldn't be asking, because I'd already know... Also, I'd prefer it if you didn't tell me what I can/can't worry about. Thanks.

And your thinking is "if they aren't here complaining, then it must be fine?". Goodness me. :)

Edited by DarthWoad

That's a pretty aggressive line of unrelated questioning you have there. I'm not saying I'm their chief financial officer or their tax accountant, which is why I'm asking if they'd gain from it financially. Otherwise, I wouldn't be asking, because I'd already know... And it's kinda my business as a customer to know how well the game is doing financially.

And your thinking is "if they aren't here complaining, then it must be fine?". Goodness me. :)

Your business as a consumer is to make the most of your purchase, not try to balance the company account books. They have people they pay for that and it ain't you or me. Knowing their personal financial status won't help or hinder you in any way, thus it's none of your business. But then again, you don't really care about their finances anyway. You were simply attempting to probe their financial status as ammunition for your server merge agenda.

Your business as a consumer is to make the most of your purchase, not try to balance the company account books. They have people they pay for that and it ain't you or me. Knowing their personal financial status won't help or hinder you in any way, thus it's none of your business. But then again, you don't really care about their finances anyway. You were simply attempting to probe their financial status as ammunition for your server merge agenda.

You're making up ridiculous assumptions now. My business as a customer is to make the most of my subscription, and to also have some knowledge on how the game is doing financially, which in fact, does help/hinder people (maybe not you) in deciding whether to make a purchase. I can ask as many questions as I'd like about the company.

I never asked how much money they get. I simply asked "would Bioware benefit from this financially". It doesn't go into specifics. I don't need to be an accountant to ask those sorts of questions. If Bioware see no financial gain from keeping a dead server, then they might shut it down and merge those accounts onto other servers. Which begs the question, is there any point in paying for transfers or just waiting for a server merge to save money?

Edited by DarthWoad

actually knowing if a company is in good or bad shape with their product can have an effect whether or not you continue to sink money funding it. I know I don't want to buy a product that may be discontinued in near future before i invest time and money into it.

You're making up ridiculous assumptions now. My business as a customer is to make the most of my subscription, and to also have some knowledge on how the game is doing financially, which in fact, does help/hinder people (maybe not you) in deciding whether to make a purchase. I can ask as many questions as I'd like about the company.

Disregarding the facts you asked if server mergers over server transfers was a opportune financial gamble, not how the game was doing over all. EA has public ledgers detailing that and if they were shutting down, they'd stop taking money and give months notice ahead of time-- How often do you make a purchase and ask the store directly how well they expect to do through the fiscal year?

I never asked how much money they get. I simply asked "would Bioware benefit from this financially". It doesn't go into specifics. I don't need to be an accountant to ask those sorts of questions. If Bioware see no financial gain from keeping a dead server, then they might shut it down and merge those accounts onto other servers. Which begs the question, is there any point in paying for transfers or just waiting for a server merge to save money?

But then again, you don't really care about their finances anyway. You were simply attempting to probe their financial status as ammunition for your server merge agenda.

^ Like I said.

Edited by Aeristash

actually knowing if a company is in good or bad shape with their product can have an effect whether or not you continue to sink money funding it. I know I don't want to buy a product that may be discontinued in near future before i invest time and money into it.

When mmos are about to go out of business, like the recent scarlet blade and moonlight, they give plenty of advance warning and stop accepting purchases. These things are usually decided at the beginning of a new quarter.

• Dev Post
To be honest, I haven't read all 34 pages of this thread, but if we reduced transfer prices for a week, would that allow you all enough time to organize your guilds to transfer to the place that makes the most sense for your guild?

To be honest, I haven't read all 34 pages of this thread, but if we reduced transfer prices for a week, would that allow you all enough time to organize your guilds to transfer to the place that makes the most sense for your guild?

Thank you for responding and I (my opinion) I would hope that would go over well with most of the people. You to me are at least trying to help.

Edit: I would also suggest sending a email to people so they can't come back (one would hope) to say they didn't know.

Edited by casirabit

Not sure why you have this reaction to questions that the OP obviously did not expect BW to answer. Some players would love to play on a server with just their hand picked friends. But that obviously isn't realistic. I don't think it's at all a problem to question how small of a server population is acceptable to BW.

Not to mention BW/EA's financial affairs directly impact my enjoyment of my subscription. If they don't have the finances to continue creating new content, I will enjoy the game less.

If you change your settings, you can get a lot more posts per page - it's only showing 9 pages for me ;)

I'm really starting to like this guy posting here all the time. Whether it's helpful like this or totally irrelevant duck stuff, it's just nice to see.

Another week is a nice start, but have you all taken a look at the number of active players on some of the servers now that the transfer prices have increased? I can't imagine anyone at BW would realistically recommend someone coming to SWTOR today should roll a character on Prophecy of the Five or Bastion. Perhaps the experience of the players on the servers isn't accurately reflecting the numbers you all see?

If you reduced them back to 90CC's for a week, (when I saw the price of 1500 NA to EU, my heart sank). I'd move almost all my American toons to my UK server and delete some of each.

I've been selling stuff on Harby and Bastion in the hope that since NA to EU went live, I'd be able to move the characters for the 90cc's like before. Getting my bags pack and ready if you will.:)

Not sure why you have this reaction to questions that the OP obviously did not expect BW to answer. Some players would love to play on a server with just their hand picked friends. But that obviously isn't realistic. I don't think it's at all a problem to question how small of a server population is acceptable to BW.

Not to mention BW/EA's financial affairs directly impact my enjoyment of my subscription. If they don't have the finances to continue creating new content, I will enjoy the game less.

Op? What are you talking about? That was a reply to wode. And anyways, if bioware doesn't think a server is worth keeping, they set up transfers and announce the server closure as they have with the dozens of other servers over the years. To this day none know how small is too small or if servers are even judged by such a metric. Why? It's irrelevant to anyone not on the boardroom side of things.

Thankfully I moved mine before you increased the prices, but would you consider refunding for players who payed 1000 CC for each transfer if you reduce the price? I know a few who payed that.

A wild Ben appears.. again!! :eek::p

I'd say one week is rather fair and a considerate offer from BW to the players. You may wanna consider two weeks due to casual/weekend players and large guilds who have a lot of banking stuff to move over and members to inform.

I don't suppose there's much you can say about whether you guys are looking into ways to guild & guild ship transfer rather than just character transfer? Or even Legacy transfers?

Even though I'm extremely opposed to mergers and have been speaking out against another slash in transfer price (as some have said - what about those that already paid the 1k?), I just gotta say that I do appreciate you taking note, posting in the thread, and asking for player input : )

I'm really starting to like this guy posting here all the time. Whether it's helpful like this or totally irrelevant duck stuff, it's just nice to see.

I agree. Just the fact that someone is making an effort to get involved speaks volumes. For too long I have felt like it is the community vs the Devs.

Thank you for caring and making an effort Mr Ben Irving.

"Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership." -Colin Powell

A wild Ben appears.. again!! :eek::p

I'd say one week is rather fair and a considerate offer from BW to the players. You may wanna consider two weeks due to casual/weekend players and large guilds who have a lot of banking stuff to move over and members to inform.

I don't suppose there's much you can say about whether you guys are looking into ways to guild & guild ship transfer rather than just character transfer? Or even Legacy transfers?

Rather than two weeks of transfers, why not a month's notice before starting a one-week sale? More time to organise, hopefully more than enough for slackers to get it together : p

Rather than two weeks of transfers, why not a month's notice before starting a one-week sale? More time to organise, hopefully more than enough for slackers to get it together : p

Or that. I'm not personally affected, I'm happy where I am but I've seen it argued a lot that one week wasn't enough time for both a heads up & action so maybe two is. Just a suggestion since he asked. :p

Give a several week warning that its coming up, dont say "Oh by the way, in two days we will be reducing transfers for a week".

As seen by multiple posts here a lot of people didnt even know it was happening due to RL things.

Make sure to put it on the launcher, Twitter/Facebook, and send it out as a mail with a title specifying reduced transfers that people will notice. That way it will cut down on the "But I didnt know!!!!" Complaints when its over. If someone didnt read their mail or the launcher in that time, well, that will be their fault, no one elses.

Another week is a nice start, but have you all taken a look at the number of active players on some of the servers now that the transfer prices have increased? I can't imagine anyone at BW would realistically recommend someone coming to SWTOR today should roll a character on Prophecy of the Five or Bastion. Perhaps the experience of the players on the servers isn't accurately reflecting the numbers you all see?

Because I don't want to merge into a larger server. I prefer my quiet little community.

Some people do. Those, like the aforementioned, like small communities. Not everyone wants to be in the midst of a parade of other players all the time. As long as you can transfer to a server with your desired populace, what does it matter how the other servers are being enjoyed? I think it's great that some servers have big and small populations. It's something for everyone.

Give a several week warning that its coming up, dont say "Oh by the way, in two days we will be reducing transfers for a week".

As seen by multiple posts here a lot of people didnt even know it was happening due to RL things.

Make sure to put it on the launcher, Twitter/Facebook, and send it out as a mail with a title specifying reduced transfers that people will notice. That way it will cut down on the "But I didnt know!!!!" Complaints when its over. If someone didnt read their mail or the launcher in that time, well, that will be their fault, no one elses.

I agree with this but I am also betting someone will say I didn't know.

I agree with this but I am also betting someone will say I didn't know.

True, but if they send out mails, put it on social media, and the launcher, they can say they let everyone know by all means readily available.

People going into turtle/hermit mode only have themselves to blame, you can browse the web to check in on things on your phone while sitting on the toilet after all..

If they were too busy playing angry birds or watching Prón whilst sitting on the throne, thats their fault :p