Dath malgus (server) is dying AGAIN

HiveOracle

I feel for everyone on that server. I have guilds/characters on every server, but my primary is Star Forge, but when any server goes down, it's beyond irritating, so I feel for you on that. Hopefully BW will get their crap together and do what's necessary to get the servers up and running on a more stable footing.

Until that time, if anyone wants a home in a casual guild imp or pub side, do a /who on anyone in There Is Only Peace or Empire's Destiny on Star Forge.

We'll keep the light on for ya.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

The team is looking into what happened. From what we can see on our side most players were able to log back in almost immediately and the servers are back to normal. If you are still having issues logging in, wait 5 minutes, completely close the game client, and try again.

Let me know if it is persisting beyond that.

Thanks all.

-eric

My sheer guess is right now that the servers simply overheat too much ?

Global warming in server rooms has become a huge concern over the last few decades with melting network cables and rising data levels. Soon they will have to move them to much higher racks as the lower ones become flooded with too much data, ;)

I hear Ireland’s autumn winter temp is pretty cold out side. Maybe move the servers into the fresh air :p

Seriously though. Servers are in environmentally controlled rooms with special aircon to keep them well below max operating temps. If it was a server overheating problem, it would affect all the EU servers at the same time and not just one at a time.

Best guess is they have some faulty equipment in the data centre and they haven’t been able to 100% isolate it because it’s causing a cascade affect across a few systems.

It could even be a faulty internet connection into the data Centre. EA/Bioware use multiple ISPs (backhaul) connections into the data centres, at least they do in the US. If only some people are affected and not others, that would be a clear indicator of this.

Or it could be the fail over to another ISP when one has a problem, and the fail over sn’t working properly for any number of reasons,

The point is, there are an arms length of reasons this could be happening and it may not be the actual server itself, but it could be the server. Only Bioware can tell (maybe, lol, it seems their IT contractors can’t get ontop of what’s happening).

Global warming in server rooms has become a huge concern over the last few decades with melting network cables and rising data levels. Soon they will have to move them to much higher racks as the lower ones become flooded with too much data, ;)

I hear Ireland’s autumn winter temp is pretty cold out side. Maybe move the servers into the fresh air :p

Seriously though. Servers are in environmentally controlled rooms with special aircon to keep them well below max operating temps. If it was a server overheating problem, it would affect all the EU servers at the same time and not just one at a time.

Best guess is they have some faulty equipment in the data centre and they haven’t been able to 100% isolate it because it’s causing a cascade affect across a few systems.

It could even be a faulty internet connection into the data Centre. EA/Bioware use multiple ISPs (backhaul) connections into the data centres, at least they do in the US. If only some people are affected and not others, that would be a clear indicator of this.

Or it could be the fail over to another ISP when one has a problem, and the fail over sn’t working properly for any number of reasons,

The point is, there are an arms length of reasons this could be happening and it may not be the actual server itself, but it could be the server. Only Bioware can tell (maybe, lol, it seems their IT contractors can’t get ontop of what’s happening).

I agree Trixxie with your generalization of how a server room is provisioned, and I'd add it usually comes with a drop-floor to snake cables through and a server room is usually the most well-climate-conditioned space in any modern office building.

But this is Bioware, so the SWTOR servers might very well be standing next to the soda vending machine in the break room on the same outlet.

Post fotos of the server room, Eric!

Edited by xordevoreaux