Torn between 3 DPS classes..

MaGicBush

I am wanting to roll an alt, leveled a OP up to 28 as a medic and it has become kind of slow at this point to level and hitting 3 buttons over and over in a group has become boring to me. I also tried the Sniper and made it to level 22 or so, but the survivability was horrid on my Sniper when someone closed the gap. So I figured it was time for a alt, this time around I want to go with a DPS class. I cannot decide between a assassin, Jugg, or a Marauder.

The jugg and marauder seem the same almost, except one can tank. The assassin I already had leveled up to 11(was my first toon during pre-launch, but my guild needed a healer then they all left the game for odd reasons and now I am alone and pretty slow at leveling lol). At end game and leading up to endgame I will want to PvP a lot as that's my cup of tea. Assassin seemed fun, though I also didn't like the hybrid melee/ranged style it had of course as I said that was only 11 so maybe it goes more melee later on?

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on classes with good burst damage and some survivability perhaps. AoE I don't care much about, as I tend to like just beating down one target at a time.

Edited by MaGicBush

You kinda ruled out all the dps classes.

Bounty hunter would be good but they do a lot of aoe and their single target fights are kust the same three button situation you said has you bored.

Melee dps has some drawbacks. A lot of bosses do knockback followed by snare which sucks a lot more for melee than ranged.

I tank as a jugg and i like to see melee dps in the group. There are a lot of opportunities for offtanking adds and assassin/maurader/ powertech dps do this really well. They can lock down a group of normal strength mobs without dieing and thats one less thing i have to worry about as a tank.

I hate to tell you what is more fun than the next. If you ever think you may want to heal that would leave BH or Sorc. I wouldn't look for which one dominates now because that's always likely to change.

My suggestion is play the one that feels most at home. Consider when dual spec is available what other role it fills.

I leveled a Sniper (Engineer spec) to 50, and it was a lot of fun, but if PvP is your goal then I would have to recommend another class. I rolled an Assassin, and so far am loving it. Though I'm going the tanking route, I find myself yearning to give the dps trees a shot just because it seems like so much fun. Even the tanking style of the Assassin is very offensive, so it might be something you can get into. It's also fantastic in PvP, since you can dish out damage, guard your teammates, and easily run the ball with a 20-second cool-down sprint that breaks movement-impairing effects. You can also guard cannons exceptionally easily while stealthed. Just hang out guarding a partner and you'll rack up the guard and defend medals, while also providing a fantastic service to your team. It's also one of the more complicated classes to play, so you shouldn't find yourself pressing the same 3 buttons over and over. I highly recommend getting one up to around 30 or so to see if it's for you, because I really think you'll get into it. Regardless of the choice you make, you'll need to get that class up to around 20-25 before you can really make a good decision. It's around those levels that the class will really start to take shape. For instance, the Assassin really isn't that great until you hit 20. Hope that helps. Edited by Karaokelove

Melee dps is currently a lot harder than ranged with no real benefit.

Of the three you suggested, I'd say go Assassin. They're fun, they get all kinds of force powers (like push and lightning), you can STEALTH which can be very useful for solo pve and you can do damage or tank. Easiest to play of the 3, and most fun of the 3. Can still do plenty of damage, and is arguably one of the better tanks.

Juggernaut would be next, has some solo pve issues but nothing too bad. Can do dps fine or can tank, although jugg is the hardest / worst tank right now. Gets force push and heavy armor and can do some fun things in pvp.

Marauder is simply the most complicated class to play. You'll have over 30 keybinds if you want to be competative in pvp. In group pve marauder isn't too hard, but solo pve and pvp are very, very hard. Its a pretty fun class if you take the time to learn it, but there's no payoff for all that trouble. It can be hard to level and you can ONLY dps, no tank or heals, and yet you're about as good at dps as everybody else. (except ranged who are better)

Do whatever you like, do what seems fun. But thats my 2 cents, having played Marauder all the way and having played Juggernaut and Assassin to 20.

Edited by miliways

Thanks for the replies, I started up on my Assassin again and it seems like a good option.. very nice break from the op, already managed to get from 11 to 14 lol. Did a PvP as well and had a lot more fun than I did on my OP. Edited by MaGicBush