Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

I doubt that. I have around 25 characters spread over 2 servers, but on this forum I read that there are players with 40-50 characters or more. Doesn't that show that the replayability of the SWTOR stories is pretty good?

For you, sure.

I have 11 alts and I'm struggling to get through 4 characters storylines.

That's more of a gameplay thing than a story thing though.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Every one My Name Is Warchild From Harbinger server Guild Master Of Republic / Empire Expendables. I do not know if my opinion will bring light or not but I hope they will come up with a better Idea then making the server into one big one I personally think that is a terrible idea and this is the reason why.

Every one wants to be able to go some where that every one else share's a same gaming back ground

PvP players i think would have little say in this area because you can PvP on any server.

Now the gamer's that cant speak English - German - french and do not forget about the full blown nerds that role play, If you merge all that into one big server its going to be nothing but trouble. there will be racial attacks and regular gamer's will be telling the role players to shut up because they sit on fleet for hours typing in the /e Message. I swear to you this is pointing to a bad idea. Now this is my opinion what should happen and every one will be happy.

Keep Harbinger and Eban Hawk as the two top English servers this gives regular gamer's a home for harbinger and role players a home for Eban Hawk. Now do the same with the German and French pick out there two top servers and make one role play / PvP and the other regular PvE / PvP servers so in total there would be 6 servers one RP & PvP and the other Regular gamer's & PvP. this will give every one there warm little place to go. About Caracter's on other servers with same names would be a new focus. If they already have one on Harbinger Server then i think it should be put on Hawk unless its already there then i think they should get a free rename only usable for one or the other with the same name. I hope every one here has not waist there time trying to reach out to you. Every one is saying the same thing in every post they do not want one big server and have to deal with all the things i pointed out. Me my self I think you guys really screwed this game up enough as it is and allow way to much bull crap to go on with these Gold spammer's and a gamer that been going on Harbinger and typing in caps and bash every one with foul comments and he does not get kicked out or the account deleted. You really need some one with the power that can sit and monitor the game for these guys and can put a freeze on there account till the game master can look at say what should be done this also will apply with the sex talk there are children that play this game. Well that's a whole diff. reactor drink but I hope my Idea about the servers will bring a idea. It would be terrible to lose our server name its kinda like a trade mark :D

Edited by WARCHILDvolk

Random comments:

Never entirely understood why they had all the servers in the first place. My guess, high demand. Now with lower demand and aging content Bioware should cut subscription cost along with this merger. Money motivates buying decisions. Make it about the price of a Netflix subscription.

Just wondering, I play most aspects of the game, each is fun in a different way, I don't see why RP'ers (the thing I do not do) can't just agree to congregate on the west coast server or any place that players are not seeking active grouping.

Pet peeve. Why do I always get potted plants (decorations) for conquest rewards? Really? I have a stronghold so I like decorations, but how about giving me some rockin' fun personnel so I can make a place with life and not a retirement community.

Random comments:

Never entirely understood why they had all the servers in the first place. My guess, high demand. Now with lower demand and aging content Bioware should cut subscription cost along with this merger. Money motivates buying decisions. Make it about the price of a Netflix subscription.

Just wondering, I play most aspects of the game, each is fun in a different way, I don't see why RP'ers (the thing I do not do) can't just agree to congregate on the west coast server or any place that players are not seeking active grouping.

Pet peeve. Why do I always get potted plants (decorations) for conquest rewards? Really? I have a stronghold so I like decorations, but how about giving me some rockin' fun personnel so I can make a place with life and not a retirement community.

Hardware was not as robust at launch, either. TIny servers = many servers. Now we're getting Big Boy servers woohoo! They can run the game AND run the weekly payroll. Twofer!

Random comments:

First, why should RP'ers have to "go play in the corner" and "find a place that players are not seeking active grouping"? Why can't those seeking groups "go find a place without RP'ers and play in that corner"?

Neither group should have to "play in the corner". The problem is that RP'ers are generally more respectful of those with different play styles than those with different play styles are of RP'ers.

Second, at this time, the "go to" RP server is Ebon Hawk, an east coast server. Why should they have to move to the west coast server?

If anyone who will be placed on Satele Shan wishes to move to an east coast server, they are free to do so, but they should be doing so with the knowledge that The Starforge will have a large RP community.

First, why should RP'ers have to "go play in the corner" and "find a place that players are not seeking active grouping"? Why can't those seeking groups "go find a place without RP'ers and play in that corner"?

Neither group should have to "play in the corner". The problem is that RP'ers are generally more respectful of those with different play styles than those with different play styles are of RP'ers.

Second, at this time, the "go to" RP server is Ebon Hawk, an east coast server. Why should they have to move to the west coast server?

If anyone who will be placed on Satele Shan wishes to move to an east coast server, they are free to do so, but they should be doing so with the knowledge that The Starforge will have a large RP community.

Pretty sure you were just the victim of long line trolling and you took the bait, hook, line and sinker 😉

Edited by Totemdancer

Pretty sure you were just the victim of long line trolling and you took the bait, hook, line and sinker 😉

That may very well be possible.

Unfortunately,though, even if that particular poster was trolling, that attitude has been too prevalent on the forums since the server merge announcement.

I notice there is a wide divergence in terms of the knowledge of "servers" in gaming and their history. When MMO's (and those close to the genre) arose there were technical limitations in the client/server model. Logical servers and physical servers were more or less the same thing and you were limited in how many players could be on a single server. There was not a choice about whether to have one large server or many smaller ones. In short, we were forced into it, no one really chose the multiple-server model. There were actually many positives around this model as servers could develop unique cultures and players often had an element of shared identity in terms of which server they belonged to. You also had many negatives around imbalance: dead servers, bad economies, etc. You also sometimes had a too many rats in a cage phenomenon express itself: "Welcome to Blackrock, now get out"!

Today there are different technical limitations but essentially it's now possible to have one logical server with the load spread across many physical servers. This solves a host of problems. Gone are problems of imbalance; servers are alive with players and there is a robust economy. Generally speaking there will be more diversity of items on the GTN and prices will assume an appropriate market-based level. (Cf. the Anarchy blaster pistol at 100m on an low pop server and 45m on a high pop server.)

Technically it's much easier to manage a single virtual server in terms of load balancing, scaling, software updates, etc. It's easier for games for the same reason that it's easier for businesses to use single logical servers. This is the way amazon web services works or any cloud-based platform.

It's really a no-brainer. All games are moving in this direction. Here, we will have several servers remaining; they are not adopting a full on mega server implementation but it's a step-wise refinement in that direction. I see it as not only a positive move for SWTOR, but an inevitable one.

That may very well be possible.

Unfortunately,though, even if that particular poster was trolling, that attitude has been too prevalent on the forums since the server merge announcement.

Does it ever get old?

Edited by kodrac

Not trying to move the RP'ers away to "play in the corner" (something I never stated, so this is not quoting me, so that quote was only implied by you) ...

Rather, a lot of discussion focused on how RP'ers are the subject of a lot of 'bad attitude" comments and how they might benefit from retaining a server separate from those needing a large community. Bioware will not help this effort but I don't see why the RP'ers are not more empowered to set up shop and consolidate wherever they want and merely gave West Coast as an example. Only 2 servers, there are no corners anymore, that is the problem, it appears.

I notice there is a wide divergence in terms of the knowledge of "servers" in gaming and their history. When MMO's (and those close to the genre) arose there were technical limitations in the client/server model. Logical servers and physical servers were more or less the same thing and you were limited in how many players could be on a single server. There was not a choice about whether to have one large server or many smaller ones. In short, we were forced into it, no one really chose the multiple-server model.

This is a helpful post. Thanks.

So how many of the " I'm going to cancel my sub " crowd actually did if they got merged off the lonely server ? 0.1%

Probably the same number as those who logged onto a dead server, then logged off and never returned. Or perhaps the number of people who returned to the game to a dead server and left again. Or any other number of reasons people "rage quit". The truth is there is no way to know since the merger is still about 2 weeks away. Most people who leave the game don't cancel their subs but rather let them expire since there are no refunds for "unused time". It gives them time to complain on the forums until their sub lapses.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm so happy that servers are finally being merged. Finally the pro-merge crowd was listened to. In fact this was actually around 3 years TOO LATE. There is NO excuse whatsoever for multiple dead servers to remain. If you don't like high populated servers then you're playing the wrong game. It was careless of the devs to let dead servers remain 3 years later. This is an MMO and I'm glad Keith is making more progress to make sure it plays like one. Sorry MMO snowflakes! Edited by Talon_strikes

I'm not super opposed to a server merge, as there are Flashpoints that I've never been able to launch or try and this will help, but I would like to have some sort of designated RP hub on one of the servers. A previous poster suggested a one month transfer (one way) to ensure commitment, and I'd go for that.

I guess the more vocal RPers (from Ebon Hawk in my case) will end up somewhere as they do, just wish there were a separate RP server.

Hey, call me stupid, but I dont understand when exactly merge happend? Is it 8th or 28th?

See http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20171002-0

November 8, 2017 – United Forces Update is rolled out and everyone moves to five new servers with new names as follows: Two servers in North America and three servers in Europe – one each of English, French, and German. You can expect extended downtime as we make the final improvements to the Server environments. Check the blog and FAQs to discover our new Server names.

Some of us don't want servers merged but the rest of you will never understand that. Just because you want to cue faster for things. Instead of merging servers why not have cross over for group finder instead. I picked my server for a reason if I wanted a high pop server I would of picked one. I shouldn't be forced to play on a high pop server.

There are many reason I don't want my server merged it's fine the way it is.

and I totally agree. Do not punish players for the games inability to foresee things or the inability to manage multiple servers..I don't want a merge and having just come back to the game, I may not stay because of it. I work nights and can very seldom do all these group things and I hate PvP. (the reason I'm here and not playing WOW)... There already are too many racist, terrible people in game on the server I am on..I don't like seeing women belittled and the N word used so constantly without a way to report the people.. Merging the servers down to a few certainly tells me a lot about the number of people still playing the game.. (Yes I have the Founder title) I am currently trying to determine the best server to play on because of the issue with people, forcing me to play with an abundance of terrible people just turns me off.

I'm so happy that servers are finally being merged. Finally the pro-merge crowd was listened to. In fact this was actually around 3 years TOO LATE. There is NO excuse whatsoever for multiple dead servers to remain. If you don't like high populated servers then you're playing the wrong game. It was careless of the devs to let dead servers remain 3 years later. This is an MMO and I'm glad Keith is making more progress to make sure it plays like one. Sorry MMO snowflakes!

Let me tell you what, as a founder there was plenty of activity on all the servers at the beginning. I spent a lot of time and effort on mine, now I'm being forced to merge because the game can't keep people ? I like low pop servers, not as many terrible people playing and I love the game, but I work nights and weekends and can never seem to find a guild that is available to do things at 8 am east coast time on a Tuesday. There wouldn't be multiple dead servers if the game wasn't dying. Merging the servers isn't going to change the way most of us play is it ? Why didn't YOU move to a more populated server ? I was here at the beginning and because of this merge I will likely be moving to another game..Trust me there are other games without this merging server issues that I play and not near as many ***wipes. You want to PvP ? Where are the PvP servers ? You want to PvP, get on a WOW PvP server. Group content ? Can't find any decent groups..I got kicked out of a guild the other day because my name had poke in it. Nothing offenseive, but the guild master was too ignorant to understand what the name poke-ahauntis meant. Personally I think there should be servers for all the kids under 40 and a server for the rest of us adults, even if it means a low pop server for me, although my entire guild I'm in now are all over 40 years old and actually have real lives, but it doesn't matter, if this merge doesn't fit right with us, we are all going to go back to our other game(s)..Like I said before, multiple dead servers are not a good sign.

Maybe you are playing the wrong game??? This is an MMO after all. :confused:

{Yeah, I keep forgetting we're not allowed to play the game the way we want. That's why I love MMO's, they're always so niche, and streamlined to prevent you from doing anything aside from PvP and Raids.}

Let me tell you what, as a founder there was plenty of activity on all the servers at the beginning. I spent a lot of time and effort on mine, now I'm being forced to merge because the game can't keep people ? I like low pop servers, not as many terrible people playing and I love the game, but I work nights and weekends and can never seem to find a guild that is available to do things at 8 am east coast time on a Tuesday. There wouldn't be multiple dead servers if the game wasn't dying. Merging the servers isn't going to change the way most of us play is it ? Why didn't YOU move to a more populated server ? I was here at the beginning and because of this merge I will likely be moving to another game..Trust me there are other games without this merging server issues that I play and not near as many ***wipes. You want to PvP ? Where are the PvP servers ? You want to PvP, get on a WOW PvP server. Group content ? Can't find any decent groups..I got kicked out of a guild the other day because my name had poke in it. Nothing offenseive, but the guild master was too ignorant to understand what the name poke-ahauntis meant. Personally I think there should be servers for all the kids under 40 and a server for the rest of us adults, even if it means a low pop server for me, although my entire guild I'm in now are all over 40 years old and actually have real lives, but it doesn't matter, if this merge doesn't fit right with us, we are all going to go back to our other game(s)..Like I said before, multiple dead servers are not a good sign.

Yeah, like the man said, you're probably playing the wrong game and the wrong genre.

{Yeah, I keep forgetting we're not allowed to play the game the way we want. That's why I love MMO's, they're always so niche, and streamlined to prevent you from doing anything aside from PvP and Raids.}

Actually, MMO's offer the most variable gaming experience of any genre.

I havent done pvp in years (in any game) and i've only raided once in SWTOR back in 2014 and didnt like it so i never raided again. I play the game the way i want to, why cant you?