New playable species 2021?

YVictorII

Well I'd say Kel Dor would probably be next since I remember a poll for playable species had Cathar, Togruta and Nautolans respectively in first, second and third place. And Kel Dor was 4th, but Kel Dor does not meet one of the criteria which is as Charles Boyd puts it "kissable lips" so that's out the window. Does anyone know who was in 5th place? Said pool was sadly before my time.

I expect there may be a few studios out there willing to try a better SW MMO. It certainly puts pressure on EA if they want to keep the money flowing in from SWTOR.

I wouldn't, the gold rush for MMOs is over with. While the genre itself is not dead, as some would claim, its certainly not the most popular. We're very unlikely to ever get another MMORPG replacement for SWTOR, most likely we'd get a looter shooter game.

Not that difficult to do one would asume, and yet...

There are not many studios in general who are giving a real mmorpg a try these days.

And we can see what happens at Amazon, when you got an almost unlimited amount of money behind you, but no one who got any experience in making an mmorpg.

The same what happened with this game basically.

The best you can expect is a good start (if you release the game finished, not like they did with SWTOR).

But when you don't got a concept for the future after release you lose your players and your game either dies or becomes a vessel for your cash shop (what happened to SWTOR).

Sad thing is even the ressurection/remake of Star Wars Galaxies wouldn't work, because Sony is now Daybreak Game Company and thats a turd as worse as EAoware and Zenimax together.

Long story short:

I would love to see a new SW mmo, but who should make it?

Best thing we can hope for is the Ubisoft SW game thats in the making i am afraid.

MMOs are huge commitments to resources. While its definitely possible someone would take the license and try to make a new Star Wars MMO with the gold rush over with I don't think we're likely to get one anytime soon.

Wow! I love sparking debates in MMOs. Shows just how committed the community is to the specific game. Yes, there are many different problems with some of the current species that we already have. I would love to see them fixed, and better sliders added but it won't exclude the need that many feel for new playable species. Most of the popular ones are already humanoid, which would not require many changes.

Voss

And no lore is not against it. There are already many off world Voss. Handlfull in Smuggler story line, supposedly hundreds tof them in Jedi Consular story line.. One in Knights of the Fallen Empire and everything that follows.

Voss

And no lore is not against it. There are already many off world Voss. Handlfull in Smuggler story line, supposedly hundreds tof them in Jedi Consular story line.. One in Knights of the Fallen Empire and everything that follows.

A bare handful showing up off planet hardly makes them lore compatible

And character models are incompatible, which makes them a hard nope.

We've been over this ad nauseum in the forums. It won't happen. Ever

I have just played Rishi for the 1st time and loved the Rishii... I know how unlikely it is but I would love a Rishii

If it weren't for them having beaks instead of lips I could see it happening. Sadly I don't think those beaks would have a good time in romance cutscenes which makes it highly unlikely the developers would implement it. There is also the matter of the feathers in the body... they would probably not mesh well with current armor models.

Edited by FlameYOL

If it weren't for them having beaks instead of lips I could see it happening. Sadly I don't think those beaks would have a good time in romance cutscenes which makes it highly unlikely the developers would implement it. There is also the matter of the feathers in the body... they would probably not mesh well with current armor models.

And the digitigrade legs (where the "knee" bends backwards because it's really an ankle) are another point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
They did such a bad job with Nautolan, I'm afraid of what they would do with any other species I like that isn't just a human re-color.

/thread

Many of the suggestions here could easily be done with the existing species. I have a sith smuggler that i've configured to look like a Zeltron. Mirialans could easily be turned into Falleen. Echani are just humans with white hair, eyes and very pale skin.

Someone suggested Iktotchi, which would be cool but would suffer from the same clipping problems as Togruta and Nautolans.

Rather, I would like them to redo the character creation system and add more options, more sliders. Remove cyborg as a race and give any species the option to add cyborg parts. Combine the two Zabraks. Allow Trooper Tattoos to be used on any species for that class, same with Sith tattoos for Sith Warriors, slave tattoos for all Sith Inquisitors, and Bounty Hunter tattoos for all bounty hunters. Am I missing any?

Edited by Ardrossan

One poster brought up Jawas and Treek type and noted that their armor isn't shown. Although not shown, Treek used to come with her unique armor (which I still have in some of my older character vaults), it can only be worn by other companions and it shows as invisible (in other words, if you put the chest piece on another companion, it shows them as if they are wearing only their underwear).

Although I find it highly amusing that a set of pants that fit Skadge also fits Mako. She should be swimming in it. :-)

Part of reason I think they won't do a "Yoda" species is that , aside from the size, in the lore they seem to be invariably linked to the Light Side. (yes, I'm aware that Yoda was "tempted" in clone wars - but he overcame it. And grogu did some questionable actions in the Mandalorian, but he was a child - a youngling - and did not have a developed sense of "good and evil" yet.

Another poster brought up Vulcans and Romulans. I think that while lore-wise, it "could" work, but legally, they'd get sued by Trek/ Paramount, etc. It is odd that the only cross species is humanity. No other races show up in both franchises. (Although you could possibly make a cyborg character similar in appearance to 7 of 9, a Borg.)

(It would be an option I think to put pointed ears on characters. I think they could get away with that because Vulcans aren't the only hominoids in fantasy with pointed ears. There are elves too. And as long as they don't Call them elves or vulcans, they could get away with it without lawsuits from Trek or LOTR.

Another poster brought up Vulcans and Romulans. I think that while lore-wise, it "could" work, but legally, they'd get sued by Trek/ Paramount, etc. It is odd that the only cross species is humanity. No other races show up in both franchises. (Although you could possibly make a cyborg character similar in appearance to 7 of 9, a Borg.)

(It would be an option I think to put pointed ears on characters. I think they could get away with that because Vulcans aren't the only hominoids in fantasy with pointed ears. There are elves too. And as long as they don't Call them elves or vulcans, they could get away with it without lawsuits from Trek or LOTR.

lmao

What is the rate of new species addition? The Nautolans were added 2 years ago... when were the Togruta added?

SWTOR released in December 2011, the Cathar were added as a playable species in Update 2.1 (May 2013), the Togruta were added in Update 3.3 (July 2015) and then the Nautolan were added in Update 6.0 (October 2019).

Both Cathar and Togruta were added in roughly 2 year intervals but then we had a 4 year wait to get the Nautolan added. We probably will get more playable species as the years roll past, but as to just when or how long we have to wait, I think that's anyone's guess!

• 5 months later...