5.10.3 update laggy?

He just said they would have to "restart the servers" in a couple hours --->http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9734505#edit9734505

PTS has a fraction of players as the LIVE servers do, so bugs like the one today are rarely ever to be discovered unless/until that code goes 'Live' (when the servers are bombarded with 1000's of players at once, resulting in the 'game' having to process 1000's upon 1000's of bits of data that never would've gotten processed so drastically on Test Server)

When I was in IT several years ago, creating web based reporting software, we had tools that could simulate thousands of logins at once. This was a small to medium sized property management company. You're telling me BioWare has no access to anything similar?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in IT several years ago, creating web based reporting software, we had tools that could simulate thousands of logins at once. This was a small to medium sized property management company. You're telling me BioWare has no access to anything similar?

I'm quite certain that they do .. IMO ... there's another issue at large. Not just shear numbers.

(just my $.02 worth for today)

Edited by OlBuzzard

Why were the servers ever live at all when it was virtually impossible to use them for any form of live game play?

All that does is annoy people.

It wasn't *all* the servers. The Leviathan (EU/FR) was just a little laggy, and crowded as (...) on Dantooine. But my guildless commando(1) was able to do the follow-up to JUS, then all the dailies and the H2 (man, that was ... fun) and made her personal conquest goal on the bonus Conquest points.

(1) The notorious Kylath (Worm Food) of the Argentis Legacy, of whom you are probably all very tired of hearing.

You definitely can't take up woodworking or fishing when you've been cut to ribbons by a plastic surgeon 5 days ago, but telling people to "go outside" sure does make self righteous people feel better.

Self-righteous? Try helpful, mate.

Stuck in bed? Plenty of interesting things on Wookieepedia to go through. Brush up on Mandalorian. Find some good Star Wars e-books on Amazon. Maybe even give the new Star Wars Battlefront 2 a go on the Origin store. I picked it up for $5 a couple weeks ago, not sure if it's still that price, but definitely worth a fiver for the single player story alone even if you're not into the (honestly fun) PvP stuff - and I'm not, normally.

But as for someone who's dealt with being bedridden myself occasionally thanks to several run-ins with angry individuals in faraway lands, I know that enforced convalescence can suck. And I imagine that wanting to do something and not being able to makes it suck all the more. But there's plenty of other things to tickle your pickle with.

Possibly not, or at least not tools that are capable of simulating the loads imposed on release night by thousands of players all slaughtering Nova Blades on Dantooine.

I do have one question, though. Where are the giant insects we were promised? Those folks on Asylum were very clear: Dantooine has farms and giant insects. Where are they?

The mail and priority transport (ie. emergency fleet pass, stronghold travel, and quick travel) are all experiencing lag on Satele Shan as well. Numerous players are bringing it up in chat, and I noticed a huge lag with fleet travel.

I even logged out of the game after getting fed up waiting for emergency fleet transport to activate. When I logged back in, I didn't even get to select one of my 12(?) characters. I was automatically taken to the one that had been in the middle of fleet transport, and that character was on fleet (whether that's good or not I can't say).

dunno about the critters Steve...

At least they've id'd the problem and are working on it. It's kinda bedtime in the EU anyways... so hopefully it'll be resolved soon. It did seem to get better one you were in the game... there were 9 or 10 instances on Dantooine on DM - so it looks like it was filling up as expected.....

It was possible to do some live game play if you got past the loading screens. I did a space mission and a story mission right in the middle of the mess. :p

Of course it was possible I mean I got a full 258 gear set from mails when it wasn't letting you take items without an error. A bit of perseverance and you could maybe get in a run or two.

To be more specific, SWTOR knew there was an issue within quarter of an hour of the servers being back online. I know, because I was trying to log in to the forums.

You would figure instead of making people queue to get in, and sort of "spreading the experience" of this failure by leaving everything online. they might have just accepted that the game was unavailable and closed it so no one else walked into the mess. Experiencing the issue is the infuriating part.

just wanted to point out a fun fact.

bioware claimed that the new servers were "MegaServers" in theory capable of massive population loads. they used this excuse to explain the removal of west coast servers. and yet. 2019, overcrowded servers.

this post right here basically describes the "Entitled Millennial attitude" in one paragraph...

Overreact much?!?

You have no idea if that person is a millennial or not - anything to make a dig at millennials right? Get off your high horse.

Edited by cwallan

You have no idea if that person is a millennial or not - anything to make a dig at millennials right? Get off your high horse.

Not to mention even the youngest millenials are pushing 30 at this point.

I will just play tommorow then. I managed to log in for 4 minutes, didn't get to see anything unfortunately. Ah well, a bit annoying but no man overboard. It was to be expected.

I really like the game and I wish all the people working on it good luck! Hopefully not too much overtime needed for you.

Servers are back up with the Conquest changes reverted. This should address the queue and lag issues we have been seeing today but we will keep an eye on it.

Thanks all.

-eric

Any ETA on potentially getting those conquest changes back again?

Servers are back up with the Conquest changes reverted. This should address the queue and lag issues we have been seeing today but we will keep an eye on it.

Thanks all.

-eric

Thanks! Things are working normally on Star Forge again.

Edited by AidenRhen

• Dev Post
Any ETA on potentially getting those conquest changes back again?

Not yet, but the team is already working on it. It will be a couple of weeks at minimum though. Once I know more I will pass it on!

-eric

Thank you very much for the update.

Sadly, this erodes a bit more of my confidence in the game.

The last year's upgrades have been buggier than in previous years.

Bugs are introduced much faster than they are fixed.

At some point, when does new buggy content do more harm than good?

Edited by Xina_LA

Man, all the pi$$ and vinegar coming from you people is hilarious.

They tried to get a change in early for us to enjoy because so many people (myself included) have been driving the BMW (Bi***, Moan, Whine) machine since 5.8 about Conquest. They drop something that is actually pretty amazing for those of us that have been disgruntled about the conquest changes, and they didn't anticipate the performance issues caused by the additional calculations.

For all of you out there that are full on developers, or IT professionals, step forward and make something better. If you can't, or won't, then keep quiet.

I know there are some IT people out there, we have had discussions before about integration testing, rollback prep, regression testing, proper UAT, and promotion to production.

You pay to play a game, I get it. Your boss pays you to do work. When you are perfect at your job come back and then complain. If not, again, keep quiet.

They can't help it, their dopamine levels are flooding their brains from the over saturation of MMO gaming and the thought of not getting pixels is causing true withdrawal symptoms.

Basically their brains are gonna explode unless they can get a pixel, ANY pixel small or large!

(The pixels are talking, not the player you know and love!)