So, Crew skills are essentially useless now

WanderSturm

Came back after a long hiatus. First thought was working on upgrading the gear on my characters. When I play MMOs, I have several alts, and they all take up at least one each of the crafting specialties, so I have everything covered. I use these to keep all my characters as up to date as possible on gear. When I left, I was able to craft Mods, Enhancements, Armoring and other incidentals ( i.e. hilts, barrels...) for ANY of my characters. Now I can only build them specifically for the character that has the crew skill, meaning that crew skills are class and specialty specific for ONLY the character you are running at the time. You can't build for the other classes and specialties, unless they use similar stats.

OR AM I MISSING something that doesn't attempt to force me into spending ungodly amounts on the Marketplace.

Sounds like you've been away for quite a bit. Class specific stats were removed in 4.0. In fact, by now, they've been gone for longer than they have existed. That Superior Versatile Armoring 80 with Mastery is useful for all classes.

The problem isn't that crafted mods are useless or class specific (in fact, even crafted armorings are useful now that the set bonus is on the armor shell) the issue is that the same stuff also drops from any content eventually, and once a player has one char at 306, they can share that gear with alts and are done grinding item rating. So after a tedious process of reverse engineering RNG there is a very limited market for that 306 mod you finally learned to craft.

Even for personal use and lower item ratings you're likely to get better gear from loot drops quicker than you can farm the flashpoint mats to craft your own mods.

That said, as a returning crafter, if you can craft old armors, especially from reverse engineering old PVP gear back in the day, you might quite literally have the license to print money. Uniforms, trenchcoats, republic superhero masks, a lot of old gear is no longer available, (or only as cartel market items).

Edited by Mubrak

When I left, I was able to craft Mods, Enhancements, Armoring and other incidentals ( i.e. hilts, barrels...) for ANY of my characters. Now I can only build them specifically for the character that has the crew skill, meaning that crew skills are class and specialty specific for ONLY the character you are running at the time. You can't build for the other classes and specialties, unless they use similar stats.

OR AM I MISSING something that doesn't attempt to force me into spending ungodly amounts on the Marketplace.

I haven't seen you reply to the thread to acknowledge you found what everyone was talking about. You can absolutely still make item modifications for all your alts. You can build for the other classes because aim, cunning, willpower, strength all got converted to Mastery for 3.0. High endurance, low mastery Resistive armorings (for any tank of any advanced class) are made by Armormechs, and Versatile armorings (high mastery, low endurance, for dps and heals) are made by Synthweavers. Mods are made by Cybertechs. Enhancements used to be Artifcers but are now Cybertech instead. I believe those changes were made in 4.0, maybe earlier, but if you have all the crafting classes then you should still be ok. Barrels of course get crafted by Armstechs and hilts and color crystals by Artificers, just as they always were.

Augments now depend on the level as well as the type. Newer versions of Absorb and Alacrity are made by Armormechs. Versatile, Accuracy, and Shield are made by Armstechs. Critical are made by Synthweavers. The old looted, low-level schematics will be in an archive category in your crew skill schematic window, and you can still make them, but from 4.0 onward I believe you learned them from the trainers, with only a few (now obsolete) exceptions.

The pieces you make should all be tradeable/sellable, assuming they are not bugged in some way. They should say "Bind on Legacy on Equip" for the newest ones (requiring level 71+) and "Bind on Equip" for the lower level ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Came back after a long hiatus. First thought was working on upgrading the gear on my characters. When I play MMOs, I have several alts, and they all take up at least one each of the crafting specialties, so I have everything covered. I use these to keep all my characters as up to date as possible on gear. When I left, I was able to craft Mods, Enhancements, Armoring and other incidentals ( i.e. hilts, barrels...) for ANY of my characters. Now I can only build them specifically for the character that has the crew skill, meaning that crew skills are class and specialty specific for ONLY the character you are running at the time. You can't build for the other classes and specialties, unless they use similar stats.

You are correct, crafting for your alt characters is almost impossible now.

Bit of advice, do not rely on crafting for anything.

Edited by Nickodemous

You are correct, crafting for your alt characters is almost impossible now.

Bit of advice, do not rely on crafting for anything.

I mean, saying it’s tedious and time/money/resource intensive, and not financially worth the effort, is not the same thing as saying it’s impossible. I’m on the record as saying 6.0 crafting is an atrocity but that’s in reference to the crafting of 270+ gear, not grinding gear. It’s hardly “almost impossible.” More importantly, making item modifications for your alts while you level is not cost-prohibitive, though green mods being available for credits certainly makes crafting for alts unnecessary.

I think that’s the real problem with crafting in 6.0. I love the ease with which one can grind from 270 to 306 but I still have to acknowledge it’s made the crafting unnecessary. But then the Devs add insult to injury and make it so resource intensive and have such a low RE chance, that’s just plain cruel.

crafting has always been useless and just a cost, if you used it foolishly, with how the gearing system has worked in the last few patches the ability to gear through crafting, has been removed, although you can still take a shortcut through having a friend craft you 306 to skip some of the gear grind

the issue with crafting currently is mainly the competition, there is more people at maxlevel, the amount of items that can be crafted with bigger margins are fewer and its far easier to boost companions to 50

• 4 weeks later...
I'm glad I found this thread soon enough. I'm also a returning player after maybe 7-8 years, and wasted quite a bit of time in the last two weeks leveling up all crew skills only to hit a wall at endgame gear. I could rant about it, but it's so disappointing it's really not worth it. Well, I can at least make some pretty colors.

The thing about crafting is that at this point, it’s mainly done to make credits. You can craft the occasion cool-looking piece of armor for Outfit Designer, but it’s mostly there for credit farming. However, that requires knowing which skills to use, what to craft, and how not to spend more credits than you make. And it’s more of a supplementary thing to just playing the GTN for Cartel Market items.

You can flush Crew Skills in WC now, they just dont required.... Modules? Drops from flashpoints. Armor? Only as outfit. Weapon? Well only weapon is normal... for now. SWTOR became too much casual.

Hah, i so miss classic SWTOR, with its: advensed class at lvl 10, with perks sheet, with unic crew members(with their unic crew bonuses), without that damned light/dark switcher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That said, as a returning crafter, if you can craft old armors, especially from reverse engineering old PVP gear back in the day, you might quite literally have the license to print money. Uniforms, trenchcoats, republic superhero masks, a lot of old gear is no longer available, (or only as cartel market items).

I'm a returning player too and I'd appreciate more information about this. Is it possible to reverse engineer old pvp gear? If so, is it a 100% chance to learn the schematic or I can lose the item?

I'm a returning player too and I'd appreciate more information about this. Is it possible to reverse engineer old pvp gear? If so, is it a 100% chance to learn the schematic or I can lose the item?

nope, u cant. if you read his post its only if you already have old retired schematics

Edited by RikuvonDrake

Yes, of course you can RE (er, no, you can deconstruct) old PvP gear, but you get only materials because to get schematics from REing gear, you have to have made it yourself on the character that REs it.

• 4 months later...

Returning player here myself.. I took a hiatus right after Iokath because I hated that planet. Started missing the game and wanted to catch up with the story and some of my companions.

As someone who mainly plays pretty casual or running flashpoints here and there, I spent a lot of time crafting and geared my characters. With a lot of time and effort I was able to gear them with mostly purple gear but none of it was nowhere near equivalent to Ops or Pvp gear. It was nice gear for for the casual player who dedicated a lot of time to get it.

Now I enter 7.0..............what the heck happened? The crafting is a total disaster. Green items requiring isotopes? RE over and over to get higher and higher level mods? Blues need 20 of them? No crafting past 700? Extended gathering and crafting times for crew skills? Not to mention you need every crew member leveled to 50 to be optimal. So many archive pieces of gear missing and this atrocious blue armors. bleh.......Everything is blue and just looks downright cheap.

What is sad is with the incredible inflation on the gtn this system only adds to it more. Lack of mats to craft means any of these items are unobtainable for people that don't have millions or billions to spend on one mod. So crafters are pretty much Sol, Can't make money if you don't have resources to craft them which is what the blasted crew skill gathering was for.

I'm kinda stuck between a rock and hard spot. I was gone during this tech fragment implementation and only had about twenty isotopes when I logged on. Can't craft a darn thing for my newly lvl 75 character. I don't know what bioware was thinking when they did this. Did someone buy the company, because it sure feels like it. I am sure they lost a lot of players over this mess.

Why oh why do developers insist on fixing things that are not broken. Just give us content. Don't implement a rework of eveything and pass it off as content. Hope they have a complete overhaul of this crafting because it is not working.

Edited by Darthmoriquendi

• 1 month later...

Interesting... I just returned from a 7 year break and my main whom I am really only playing right now is Bioanalysis. BUT I do have a Synth and Armortech that (at the time were max level in crafting) should know various schematics. Guess I should check that out if they are actually worth credits. Are there any specific sets that sell especially well? I mainly PvP'd back in the day so I suspect I have a lot of the empire armor schematics for PvP.

Interesting... I just returned from a 7 year break and my main whom I am really only playing right now is Bioanalysis. BUT I do have a Synth and Armortech that (at the time were max level in crafting) should know various schematics. Guess I should check that out if they are actually worth credits. Are there any specific sets that sell especially well? I mainly PvP'd back in the day so I suspect I have a lot of the empire armor schematics for PvP.

Look in their "ARCHIVE" section for the old pre-4.0 schematics that they might have learned. It's hard to say what sells well without looking at the GTN on the server where you play. (And you should do that yourself, no way we can do it any better than you...)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, Darthmoriquendi said:

Returning player here myself.. I took a hiatus right after Iokath because I hated that planet. Started missing the game and wanted to catch up with the story and some of my companions.

As someone who mainly plays pretty casual or running flashpoints here and there, I spent a lot of time crafting and geared my characters. With a lot of time and effort I was able to gear them with mostly purple gear but none of it was nowhere near equivalent to Ops or Pvp gear. It was nice gear for for the casual player who dedicated a lot of time to get it.

Now I enter 7.0..............what the heck happened? The crafting is a total disaster. Green items requiring isotopes? RE over and over to get higher and higher level mods? Blues need 20 of them? No crafting past 700? Extended gathering and crafting times for crew skills? Not to mention you need every crew member leveled to 50 to be optimal. So many archive pieces of gear missing and this atrocious blue armors. bleh.......Everything is blue and just looks downright cheap.

What is sad is with the incredible inflation on the gtn this system only adds to it more. Lack of mats to craft means any of these items are unobtainable for people that don't have millions or billions to spend on one mod. So crafters are pretty much Sol, Can't make money if you don't have resources to craft them which is what the blasted crew skill gathering was for.

I'm kinda stuck between a rock and hard spot. I was gone during this tech fragment implementation and only had about twenty isotopes when I logged on. Can't craft a darn thing for my newly lvl 75 character. I don't know what bioware was thinking when they did this. Did someone buy the company, because it sure feels like it. I am sure they lost a lot of players over this mess.

Why oh why do developers insist on fixing things that are not broken. Just give us content. Don't implement a rework of eveything and pass it off as content. Hope they have a complete overhaul of this crafting because it is not working.

Disney acquired LucasFilm Ltd. in 2012, and its all been pretty much downhill from there. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...