Operation Victory Tournament - *Cancelled*

EricMusco

Well, there's no reason to believe there won't be more in the future. It doesn't exactly hurt BW to partner with ESL. But either way, my point remains. Regardless of whether we'll have more tournaments in the future, this one is still their first attempt, there haven't been any in the past, so again it's understandable that they don't handle it perfectly.

Uh no it's not. "Perfect" is an exaggeration, but if there are things that most people realized instantly upon hearing of this tournament as common sense, you're damn right we can expect the organizers to have though of it already.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh no it's not. "Perfect" is an exaggeration, but if there are things that most people realized instantly upon hearing of this tournament as common sense, you're damn right we can expect the organizers to have though of it already.

My point is, everyone involved in making this tournament happen is human, and humans make mistakes, a lot. You'd be surprised how different the game looks from the Developer end. I'm sure many of the Developers play the game on a regular basis, but I'm sure others don't. You see things a lot differently on the Developer end and unless you're actively playing the game, you'll miss things which players find obvious.

Again, I'm not saying they didn't make a mistake, I just think you should cut them some slack, seeing as this is their first attempt.

Edited by idnewton

awesome thing! I think it's great that you are doing something like this. im curious to see where it goes...

side note; Ignore the idiots that only want to look for the negatives in this as opposed to looking at the positive of an event like this and what it could mean for future events.

I really hope this turns out to be a fun event!

I know many of you will be showcasing your practice, and real runs, on Twitch. I will make a separate thread closer to contest where you can post your twitch channels along with dates/times!

Any update on this? We've already had our practice run today, so we won't be able to showcase it in a separate thread. :(

Edited by Jerba

Like someone mentioned it earlier, some guilds/players are invited into closed PTS, how is that fair to the rest of the players? these players are fully geared almost in first week of release new stuff. They know tactics before is on Dulfy, bugs ect. how can you compare any other guild run to these? pointless to even try

some guilds/players are invited into closed PTS, how is that fair to the rest of the players? these players are fully geared almost in first week of release new stuff.

There are other guilds wich weren't on the pts and are nearly full 198

They know tactics before is on Dulfy, bugs ect. how can you compare any other guild run to these? pointless to even try

They know the tactics bc. they made them by own. Dulfy just put the tactics into his guide wich they used for their kills.

Is there an update on the rules anywhere that I've missed, I only see two BW posts in this thread? We want to practice but it's hard to put our group together when we don't know the rules such as only taking one healer, tank in DPS gear, full stealthers etc.

Like someone mentioned it earlier, some guilds/players are invited into closed PTS, how is that fair to the rest of the players? these players are fully geared almost in first week of release new stuff. They know tactics before is on Dulfy, bugs ect. how can you compare any other guild run to these? pointless to even try

Closed PTS doesn't have the final boss layouts, since they are changed a lot more frequently than on live. So a lot of tactics that may have worked on PTS do not work on live. In that case you even have a disadvantage, because you already got used to something "wrong" that you need to abandon before developing new tactics. Closed PTS is not the practicing ground for progression guilds like the open PTS for Dread OPs NiM was, though that's what a lot of people on the forum claim - mostly those who weren't there. Closed PTS is actually for working on the content/making the content work and assisting Devs doing that.

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I will cut right to the chase, we are cancelling our ESL Operation Victory competition. Our reason revolves around the Coratanni encounter. I know many of you raised concerns about the issues related to the encounter, and we agree.

We spent a lot of time this week testing bug fixes to see how viable the fixed version would be in a speed running environment. We have applied improvements to the Coratanni encounter as of tomorrow’s patch but there are still situations that could impact players focused on a timed run.

We thank you for your feedback around the contest and should we decide to do something like this in the future, we will let you know. Also, let us know your feedback on the concept of doing a speedrun contest. As we explore options like this in the future it would be great to know your thoughts.

-eric

Hey folks,

I will cut right to the chase, we are cancelling our ESL Operation Victory competition. Our reason revolves around the Coratanni encounter. I know many of you raised concerns about the issues related to the encounter, and we agree.

We spent a lot of time this week testing bug fixes to see how viable the fixed version would be in a speed running environment. We have applied improvements to the Coratanni encounter as of tomorrow’s patch but there are still situations that could impact players focused on a timed run.

We thank you for your feedback around the contest and should we decide to do something like this in the future, we will let you know. Also, let us know your feedback on the concept of doing a speedrun contest. As we explore options like this in the future it would be great to know your thoughts.

-eric

Next time you announce something like this please use common sense and think things through first before getting our hopes up. Releasing the rules would also be helpful.

Hey folks,

-eric

Why wouldn't you do a ToS run instead? Why would you choose the instance that has more bugs? Why would you wait until today to give this update?

Are you aware that this is just another instance of you (Bioware) not following through?

Bioware has amazing ideas and concepts, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I hope you guys iron out the kinks, because this was a great idea for the casual raiding community. Again, I APPRECIATE you guys choosing to not go ahead with a tournament that would revolve around a fight that can be broken in the final encounter, but you have been aware of said encounter for literally months at this point, ToS is in a far more polished state- Bioware should have chosen ToS.

Edited by justinplainview

Seriously? This is even more unbelievable than cancelling the cantina tour due to bad weather. Seriously, I've been doing Coratanni SM every week and never once seen that bug, so just because some casuals are complaining, you cancel the tournament?

Also, now that the PTS is up, we have an infinite number of runs, so even if you get a bug, you can just redo the run with the same characters.

Anyway, I was looking forward very much to this, but looks like Bioware rather cancels events than admitting what went wrong. :mad:

Next time you announce something like this please use common sense and think things through first before getting our hopes up. Releasing the rules would also be helpful.

So much this. My group has cancelled HM progression, rebuilt our raid group for an optimized setup and were looking forward to the tournament even though we didn't even know the rules and if we were eligible for them. This is very depressing. Don't announce something if you can't follow it through.

Edited by Jerba

This is comical, release an Ops clearly bugged when 3.0 hit, have an exploit associated with it, be inconsistent with the penalties and bans associated with who exploited, claim the ops is now fixed (or better), release a tournament around BW's innovative set of operations only to cancel it cause a 3 month+ old Ops still can't be fixed by the glorious and brilliant develops of BW.

Truly comical.

Wish this stuff was announced in game through the mails. Barely anyone knew about this and there has been little chatter in game. So cancelling this won't have much of an impact. I fear it won't come around for a long time. Hopefully this is just a setback and next month they'll reintroduce it and make more of a grandiose announcement of it in game as well. These forums are used by few people and the subreddit as well. In game announcements is the way to go!

Also, let us know your feedback on the concept of doing a speedrun contest.

Alright, less QQ, more feedback.

IMO, the current raids are not suitable for a speedrun because in the end, we already know who will win, the progression guilds who have the most gear. No matter what strategy you plan, in the end it will come down to how much DPS you have, and if your group has no 198 mainhands, you don't even need to bother to try.

Also, I don't think you were aware what it meant to run such an competition. For example, if you require everyone to send in video proof, this means you will have to watch a 30 minute video of every team that entered. And you can't just put it on a second monitor, you need to watch it from beginning to end to ensure that they did not cut the video but that it shows a full run without any wipes that were cut from the video. That alone will take a whole week out of a Community Team's work schedule.

If you want to do a tournament, it should be PvP related, though I suppose this will take a lot more time to setup and rework the queue so you can decide who plays against who.

Speedrun-wise, I think the most interesting would be soloing old level 50/55 flashpoints, because those are not just a DPS check but more of a check of how much trash you can skip. That will resemble more of a speedrun format.

But even then, SWTOR is just the wrong game for eSports. I know you want to promote the game, but there are much better ROI options than an eSports tournament IMO.

Edited by Jerba

Hey folks,

I will cut right to the chase, we are cancelling our ESL Operation Victory competition. it would be great to know your thoughts.

-eric

My thoughts are you should postpone the event rather than cancel it. You can't figure out how to make a boss fight reliably bug free so you're cancelling the event rather than trying to figure out how to fix it? o.O

I should add that I did not plan on participating and that I've done the Coratanni encounter 6x now and have yet to see this bug.

You are a joke. Seriously. I didn't even care about this tournament since I barely do PvE. But even I knew how bugged this raid is. You're showing time and again that you aren't even playing your own game. Edited by DynamiCtagez

Let's do a pvp tourny next so bolster can get a review/update too. :rak_07:

brilliant!

'Lets pick something we know is bugged. Then do our Trademarked Bioware carrot and stick approach, then cancel it at the last minute due to said bugs. At least then, it will look like we are actually doing something'.

Worst Community team in MMO gaming HISTORY

Edited by GrimRita