HORRIBLE AA implamentation.

GuillimanT

I dont really care Ill just turn it back on in ccc and it works nicely. Just reinforcing the fact that it doesnt work on some configs.
And that is the real unfortunate issue at the heart of everything. When people have the same rigs, almost identical and getting completely different results then there are other issues going on. Trying to narrow them down though is difficult especially if no one is actually reporting them to customer service but instead just posting here. Everyone who posted information on their CPU here and have issues, this thread can't really help them with beyond basics.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you telling me you don't know how to use your system. Thanks for the info. :)

AA takes up framerates. Try turning off a bunch of crap running in the background on your machine and call me in the morning.

I have nothing running in the background, I have my laptop to one side for out of game things.

I have performance issues, too.

Maybe next time, don't make presumptions to defend your pwecious widdle Bioware.

Here, took some screenshots with AA set OFF, LOW and HIGH. Between off and low, absolutely NO difference but high you can see the difference. This means that it is implemented but maybe not the best. Overall though, set to high I haven't had any performance hit but of course your results may vary based upon a variety of factors like but limited to hardware, drivers, background software and unknown software/hardware bugs.

Comparative GIF

Had to use an alternative since Imgur is blacked out due to sopa/pipa protest.

There is an ever so slight difference between off and low. You can tell it by the head. There are more pixels that make up the curve of the head when compared to off and low. From a glance though you wouldn't notice it. So when running around and such it's almost pointless.

People do realize that AA unless on supersampling settings are not really that noticeable. it is not like turning on and off bloom here, AA smooths out the edges a bit, and provides some basic definition to edging, that I do notice with it turned on. Stairs now look like... well stairs.

Have to strongly disagree with you there. Makes a massive difference when it actually works.

2 x AA Forced http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/screenshot2012011822035.jpg/

4 x AA Forced http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/screenshot2012011822043.jpg/

Admittedly it gets a bit harder to discern at 8x AA especially with compressed imageshack links. But its pretty clear on those shots.

BTW: Thats multisampling.

Edited by jadel

I put up a quick webpage showing the differences between in-game no AA, in-game High AA, and forced AA through the CCC.

http://aylan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/swtor/swtoraa.html

Unfortunately, the only way I can get this game to run without juddering while running or constantly flickering black is to set everything to application-controlled and turn AA off. God, it looks horrible... but at least I can play. Before the patch I had in-game AA set to off, forced AA to 8x in CCC, and everything was gravy :(

Edited by Xerihae

And that is the real unfortunate issue at the heart of everything. When people have the same rigs, almost identical and getting completely different results then there are other issues going on. Trying to narrow them down though is difficult especially if no one is actually reporting them to customer service but instead just posting here. Everyone who posted information on their CPU here and have issues, this thread can't really help them with beyond basics.

Actually, there is one critical piece of info that people usually leave out: what resolution they are running.

A high end system may still struggle running at 2560x1600. The same system running at 1920x1200 may absolutely fly though.

Here, took some screenshots with AA set OFF, LOW and HIGH. Between off and low, absolutely NO difference but high you can see the difference. This means that it is implemented but maybe not the best. Overall though, set to high I haven't had any performance hit but of course your results may vary based upon a variety of factors like but limited to hardware, drivers, background software and unknown software/hardware bugs.

Comparative GIF

Had to use an alternative since Imgur is blacked out due to sopa/pipa protest.

*Edit

Characters look about the same, but edges on floor change.

Off

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4641/screenshot2012011813183.jpg

High

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7223/screenshot2012011813172.jpg

Edited by Kourage

Yea maybe not working. Looks same to me. Actually lost fps turning it off.

Off

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4641/screenshot2012011813183.jpg

High

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7223/screenshot2012011813172.jpg

Those look the same to you?

They are definitely different, look at the metal floor edge just below the jawas health bar along to the right. Quite noticeable.

Those look the same to you?

They are definitely different, look at the metal floor edge just below the jawas health bar along to the right. Quite noticeable.

oh yea, now i see it. The other guy was focused on the character and that's what I was comparing. BH Trainer NPC.

Could we just simply admit that BioWare messed up again so AA setting works for some people, not for the others?

On my 6950 this new AA setting does not work at all. Got screenshots to compare the pixels and no difference unless using CCC to force it. Deleted the whole settings folder, nothing changed. Just another bug for BioWare to fix.

There is an ever so slight difference between off and low. You can tell it by the head. There are more pixels that make up the curve of the head when compared to off and low. From a glance though you wouldn't notice it. So when running around and such it's almost pointless.

If you stare at anything long enough you start to hallucinate.

What is going on: they are adding AA. Computers are complicated, especially since the millions of people playing this game all have different hardware and software. They're working on it, they patched in an option that works for many of us. Some of you have bugs, that is unfortunate but however the expected norm in software development. MMOs have the best support, and we'll likely get another patch soon fixing several of your issues. It does, however, take some time to do. Sorry if this caused you an inconvenience. For now, force it outside of the game, and I'm sure they're working on resolving it. :)

Please forgive my ignorance, but who here has / is

- running a PCIe of even AGP graphic card that isn't PCIe / AGP compatible?

- utilizing RAM that isn't designed according to JEDEC specifications?

- using a version of the game that is incompatible with DirectX?

- mainboard that isn't fully compatible to the CPU being used, or vice versa?

- a system that doesn't have Windows XP, Vista or 7 on it?

I'm asking this / these question(s) in all seriousness because I cannot see how every component inside a computer having to abide by non competing standards can be the cause for all this incompatibility mess games seemingly are plagued with these days.

Having said that, the game's AA setting doesn't work for me, either. Forcing AA via the control center or a 3rd party tool however works flawlessly.

The high version of AA seems about as amazing as x2 forced through my graphics card. No idea what the low setting is since not only did not see a noticeable difference like high(and doing x2 in CCC) and I thought x2 was the lowest setting. Could be also I turned on adaptive multi-sampling through CCC as well though. Edited by Kabloosh

after patch 1.1 the textures are lowress, and the overall graphix are unclear and difuse, i have reset the settings to max/high and my computer runs it smoth, but its damn ugly. i7 950, 6gb ram and radeon 6870 1gb ram. fix the graphix pls, and while you are on fixing things bring out a cross server lfg tool.

ATI 5850, here, @1680x1050.

In-game AA works for me, and the performance is better than forcing it in the drivers. I still use adaptive + edge detect, though.

HIGH = 2x

That's all I need on my 22" lcd.

Edit: Yeah, low doesn't seem to do anything noticeable.

Edited by Daemonjax

Hi folks,

Just in case you missed it, we added the following to the Known Issues thread earlier today:

• Anti-aliasing is currently disabled for ATI 6900 series graphics cards.

• Holograms will disappear during conversations if players modify their preferences to turn off bloom while anti-aliasing is on.

To give you all some more insight, the ATI issue is due to a severe graphical glitch and we are in discussions with ATI to resolve this. Thank you for your patience.

Hi folks,

Just in case you missed it, we added the following to the Known Issues thread earlier today:

• Anti-aliasing is currently disabled for ATI 6900 series graphics cards.

• Holograms will disappear during conversations if players modify their preferences to turn off bloom while anti-aliasing is on.

To give you all some more insight, the ATI issue is due to a severe graphical glitch and we are in discussions with ATI to resolve this. Thank you for your patience.

So is AA in the game because I am using a 5770hd and it's doing nothing, still says it's not implemented...

Actually, there is one critical piece of info that people usually leave out: what resolution they are running.

A high end system may still struggle running at 2560x1600. The same system running at 1920x1200 may absolutely fly though.

Agree. The absence of screen resolutions when people discuss their issues muddies the discussion a lot.

Same with monitor screen size. If you are playing on a 30 inch monitor, then pixel effects like AA are much more noticeable then if you are running the same resolution on a 15 inch display.