[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup

:eek: This wasn't in your parse i presume?

I found out due to CC fraud my sub lapsed just long enough for me to not get the Z0-0M comp :( So I can only personally test with Z3N. Ive got a friend leveling up zoom though so well get some numbers once she's 50. When I noticed that extra AOE heal I almost died. It's about 25k per target..

I made a few adjustments to my recommendations for all roles and did a little cleanup.

In 5.x accuracy for non-force/tech attacks was changed, so ranged companions miss less and melee companions miss more. This seems to make dual pistol users even for DPS with dual saber users.

I still don't understand why melee 1 handed users (Yunn) are so much lower dps than ranged blaster riffle users (Lt. Pierce), they should be even now, so it's just some strange hard coded damage difference.

Edited by KevMeup

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for this thread - after returning from a lengthy absence I [wrongly] assumed that since gear didn't matter** anymore and all companions could play all roles, that all companions were virtually equivalent at all roles - or very close. I never would have give it another thought had I not stumbled on this thread.

**I also found out that gear does matter a little bit - in that if the companions do not have a weapon equipped, they don't do any real damage.

I'm curious, did you test Shae Viszla in dps-stance? I've done some heroics with dps/dps combo and her aerial annihilation (the DFA-like aoe skill) seems to be very hard hitting. Maybe it comes with the cost of weaker basic attacks? But for heroics with lots of mob-groups she seems stronger than for example Master Ranos.

-snip-

Thanks, glad to help. It's amazing how many people just use Lana and assume she's even. Most all of them heal well and can get you through most content, but it's nice having a bonus, especially if you're soloing or duo-ing group content.

I'm curious, did you test Shae Viszla in dps-stance? I've done some heroics with dps/dps combo and her aerial annihilation (the DFA-like aoe skill) seems to be very hard hitting. Maybe it comes with the cost of weaker basic attacks? But for heroics with lots of mob-groups she seems stronger than for example Master Ranos.

Well I'll be damned... She is above normal for her weapon type. Thanks for letting me know. This is the parse I have at level 1, I'll post again when I get her to 50.

1.5mil parse:

C2-N2 Droid Level 1 (single pistol user) 3260

Shae Shae Vizla Level 1 (single pistol user) 4160

AOE:

Supressive fire: 2925/ 4750 crit x 2 hits

Aerial Annihilation: 4630/ 7630 crit x 6 hits!

The tool tip is messed up, it says 1.5 second channel, but the data mining reveals it's a 3 second channel.

https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/nco/shae-vizla

• 1 month later...

Talking about fair and balanced... I was going through the numbers and couldn't help but thinking it might as well be posted in bug section as well...

I am not sure if I am more baffled with Shae Vizla numbers or the injustice that was done to Treek and HK-51 - once beloved and revered, now a total scrap (HK losing its one-hit-kill ability and Treek failing miserably at healing), especially when taken in consideration what one has to go through to obtain an HK unit.

Anyhow, I was wondering - what are the numbers that other companions are pulling and that haven't been mentioned?

More specifically Arcann, Khem Val, HK-55, Darth Marr, Lana Beniko, Empress Acina, Senya Tirall...to name the few...

I am aware it's not really simple to get them all to level 50 to make all the tests, but I am sure it would be interesting to see, and who knows, some may even pleasantly surprise us.

Edited by orujd

• 4 weeks later...
-snip-

Yeah, it's pretty sad whats happened to HK and Treek :(

I added a few more dps I had:

Leval 50, Gault, 5043 gault (Ranged, Sniper Riffle)

Leval 50, Lana, 4650 (1 saber, melee)

Leval 50, Theron Shan, 5180 (Ranged, 2 Pistols)

Leval 50, Vette, 5100 (Ranged, 2 Pistols)

• 2 weeks later...
I made a few adjustments to my recommendations for all roles and did a little cleanup.

In 5.x accuracy for non-force/tech attacks was changed, so ranged companions miss less and melee companions miss more. This seems to make dual pistol users even for DPS with dual saber users.

I still don't understand why melee 1 handed users (Yunn) are so much lower dps than ranged blaster riffle users (Lt. Pierce), they should be even now, so it's just some strange hard coded damage difference.

Well Yuun was bugged back in 2.x era so I assume since launch where some of the abilities were boosted by Willpower instead of Aim. I am guessing the ability is still boosted by willpower but since i can put willpower gear on the companion to test can't say for certain. I vaguely recall several other companions had similar issues, perhaps some other old timers can help remember which ones they were and we can figure out if they are under performing now.

I believe parsec tracked companions. Google found this https://parsec.codeplex.com/

enjoy

-jams

• 3 weeks later...
Well Yuun was bugged back in 2.x era so I assume since launch where some of the abilities were boosted by Willpower instead of Aim. I am guessing the ability is still boosted by willpower but since i can put willpower gear on the companion to test can't say for certain. I vaguely recall several other companions had similar issues, perhaps some other old timers can help remember which ones they were and we can figure out if they are under performing now.

I believe parsec tracked companions. Google found this https://parsec.codeplex.com/

enjoy

-jams

Companions no longer gain stats from gear. Also Willpower, Aim, etc have all been replaced with Mastery.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how blizz does? I leveled him to 50 for a few reasons. #1 I love Jawa's. #2 He has a large influence gain from almost every type of gift so it was super easy to level.

He put a link to the parse app he uses under the Parse section. Let us know what you find. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

OP, you've done an awesome job.

I wonder what the variance is for these DPS parses. I ran four 1M dmg parses on the fleet operations dummy with a level 50 Kira (alll datacrons, buffs, but no other effects or gear) and got the following:

Parse 1: 5030 dps

Parse 2: 5301 dps

Parse 3: 4942 dps

Parse 4: 4973 dps

For reference, my level 1 2V-R8 parsed at 3409 dps the one time I ran him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"If you are in fights that don't have a very high healing requirement, I'd recommend using any of the high DPS companions above (with 1 weapons, not Shae Vizla) and disabling their Channeled heal."

When you say "with 1 weapons, not Shae Vizla" do you mean one of the melee companions?

Out of curiosity, why not Shae?

Thanks.

"If you are in fights that don't have a very high healing requirement, I'd recommend using any of the high DPS companions above (with 1 weapons, not Shae Vizla) and disabling their Channeled heal."

When you say "with 1 weapons, not Shae Vizla" do you mean one of the melee companions?

Thanks.

I think perhaps there was a typo. KevMeUp's results speak to the following:

Shae Viszla seems to have exceptional dps due to an extra aoe "death from above"-like channeled attack.

After her, by ranking, are the dual wielders (ranged or melee.)

Highest HPS appears to be Z0-OM, due to an aoe Kolto-cloud like ability. Followed by the dual-wielders.

If you are soloing content, and you need a healing companion, but need to do some dps with that comp as well, then a great option is to use a dual wielder (either ranged or melee) and click off the channeled heal, so that more of their "rotation" is freed up for damage.

There may be certain encounters that you might prefer a melee over a ranged comp ... I'm thinking the Round 6 Eternal Championship fight with Breaktown Brawler and the kintans.

I personally have not found Shae to be a better healer than Z0-OM or the dual-wielders. Maybe KevMeUp has tested? Either way, if you are on a healer character, you can use either Shae, dual wielders, or Lokin in tank spec.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

This was a typo, as I meant 2 weapons (blasters or sabers). Shae only gains additional DPS from using her death from above, which is not available in heal stance.