[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup

I have been waiting for an update for this thread, so this is great. Thanks.

I have been parsing DPS comps and I am getting the same numbers (Note: my presense is just above 1000 as well). Those melee DPS guys are doing very nice numbers (Akaavi, Torian@ 1700) and holding threat well enough for the most part. I also found that Treek in tank gear does slightly less dps (600-650) than our regular tank comps (700-750), but her threat seems higher than other tanks. I am surprised to see in your post that Treek not doing so well with healing. So perhaps the only advantage for her now is her smart attacks (i.e. avoiding cc'd opponents)?

On a different note, I have been using Risha for my companion for Yavin slice farming so that she can crit on slicing, but it is not easy to quantify that actually helps or not.

Anyway, thanks for the update and looking forward to new comp info.

I have been waiting for an update for this thread, so this is great. Thanks.

I have been parsing DPS comps and I am getting the same numbers (Note: my presense is just above 1000 as well). Those melee DPS guys are doing very nice numbers (Akaavi, Torian@ 1700) and holding threat well enough for the most part. I also found that Treek in tank gear does slightly less dps (600-650) than our regular tank comps (700-750), but her threat seems higher than other tanks. I am surprised to see in your post that Treek not doing so well with healing. So perhaps the only advantage for her now is her smart attacks (i.e. avoiding cc'd opponents)?

On a different note, I have been using Risha for my companion for Yavin slice farming so that she can crit on slicing, but it is not easy to quantify that actually helps or not.

Anyway, thanks for the update and looking forward to new comp info.

As a tank, many of Treek's attacks are both AOE and high threat, so it's possible that threat would be high and dps lower than a normal tank. Unless you wanted to carefully micromanage tank skills on a normal companion (mostly the AOE taunt), I suspect that treek would make a better tank for most people.

I was really set back to see treek's healing numbers come out lower. She offsets it with a bit more damage and some smart skills like an agro drop though. In general I think most people don't need the full healing potential of a companion and just like never having to stop to regen, so shes great for that.

From what I remember, Risha's bonus should only help with missions and not manually picking up.

It sounds like we might get to really mix and max our companions in the update, could be a lot of fun, and maybe the new HK will be able to keep up with melee dps :) I'm really surprised the devs have left so many imbalances with companions. Sure, I've grown to love "Bug Boy" (vector), but I miss traveling with my wife Temple or my evil friend Scorpio..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so i got a question about end game gear for comp

should I use the Yavin 4 weekly gear

or

should i craft my own lv 56 blue full purple set first than move on to lv 58 purple sets when got enough purple crafting material?

i know Yavin 4 armor rating is better but lv 56/58 craft set on legacy adaptive armor can makes comp looks different and correct status i want it

For Heals:

(Optional) Crit up to 300.

Surge to 400

For DPS:

Surge to 400

For Tanks (If you're healing):

(Optional) Defense up to 300

For Tanks (If you're not healing):

how to check ur gear crit up to 300, surge up to 400, defense up to 300?

so i got a question about end game gear for comp

should I use the Yavin 4 weekly gear

or

should i craft my own lv 56 blue full purple set first than move on to lv 58 purple sets when got enough purple crafting material?

i know Yavin 4 armor rating is better but lv 56/58 craft set on legacy adaptive armor can makes comp looks different and correct status i want it

The Yavin 4 Weekly gear is optimized 192s (set piece level) so it will be hard to beat. The first thing I do is get a dye module for the companion's chest piece that I like. If you're really going for a particular look you'll have to craft our buy your own gear though. If you are choosing your own gear stats, you may be able to make up for a lot of the difference by using more optimized stats: 700-756 Accuracy, 200-400 surge, rest alacrity. 0 Crit/all power.

For Heals:

Surge to 400

For DPS:

Surge to 400

For Tanks (If you're healing):

For Tanks (If you're not healing):

how to check ur gear crit up to 300, surge up to 400, defense up to 300?

If you click your character sheet, then the Companion Tab, you can hover over each stat to see the rating. So Critical Chance should show 0-300 for Rating.

I have been parsing DPS comps and I am getting the same numbers (Note: my presense is just above 1000 as well). Those melee DPS guys are doing very nice numbers (Akaavi, Torian@ 1700) and holding threat well enough for the most part. I also found that Treek in tank gear does slightly less dps (600-650) than our regular tank comps (700-750), but her threat seems higher than other tanks.

Treek seems to have an automatic AoE taunt that we don't see built right into her tank stance. I've heard tell of people who take her to fight grey world bosses, and they just slam away on her even as she stands there cowering (note I haven't tried this personally). She doesn't seem to have to do anything active to generate threat. Very convenient against CC as well as preventing the taunt waste other tank companions are subject to.

What's the word on tank companions in DPS gear/stance? Last time people did parses back in the pre-Yavin days the report was that that setup was about equivalent to the RDPS companions. I'm curious to see if that's still the case.

Edited by Quething

Treek seems to have an automatic AoE taunt that we don't see built right into her tank stance. I've heard tell of people who take her to fight grey world bosses, and they just slam away on her even as she stands there cowering (note I haven't tried this personally). She doesn't seem to have to do anything active to generate threat. Very convenient against CC as well as preventing the taunt waste other tank companions are subject to.

What's the word on tank companions in DPS gear/stance? Last time people did parses back in the pre-Yavin days the report was that that setup was about equivalent to the RDPS companions. I'm curious to see if that's still the case.

I know Treek's AOEs have a high threat, I don't think she has an actual AOE taunt though. She is definitely one of the better tanks and although you can't see it, I suspect her single taunt has a lower cooldown than others. I have not tested yet though.

I just did some testing and Xalek does about 1030, so very similar to rDPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice guide, very well done.

I play a trooper, so my only companion with a dot stance is Yuun.

But I've read Yuun is bugged and has force attacks which do not scale with his Aim main stat.

So, what would be your advice? Should I be still using Yuun, or should I use Tanno Vik instead (the only other melee dps)? Or just scr*w it and use Elara / Treek healer ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by roupe

Thanks for the nice guide, very well done.

I play a trooper, so my only companion with a dot stance is Yuun.

But I've read Yuun is bugged and has force attacks which do not scale with his Aim main stat.

So, what would be your advice? Should I be still using Yuun, or should I use Tanno Vik instead (the only other melee dps)? Or just scr*w it and use Elara / Treek healer ?

Thanks in advance.

I will do testing when I get a chance. I would still lean towards Yuun though. His weapon damage would still be high, even with reduced skill damage. I'd be surprised if this bug was still around, I don't notice it with others like Ensign Temple's force blast still hits fairly hard.

If it's not his dots that are effected by this bug, it's possible to disable some skills and augment with alacrity to keep him using optimal ones more often.

• 11 months later...

Guide updated! New Tips, New Parses, Bug List and handy links.

Sorry for taking so long, I took a break from swtor and the removal of companion gear annoyed me for a long time :)

If ya'll get any new parse data, bugs or other info you'd like me to add let me know.

So... As an evil Sith Imp I'm really frustrated by the DvL companion choices. Sure, having a darth maul looking companion would be awesome walking around the fleet, but being a companion parsing snob, I'd never use him in battle.

1mil damage on the fleet operations dummy:

Level 50 Veeroa Denz, 4150 (DVL Light Choice)

Level 50 Hemdil Tre, 3900

Level 50 T4-1D Droid, 3600

Level 50 Xalek, 3600 (DVL Dark Choice)

I think it's too late for them to make any changes. Hopefully in the future they'll offer equal rewards for events like this.

Edited by KevMeup

4.7 has a couple helpful updates:

Players can now use the Companion Locator Terminal in the Alliance Base Camp to regain Companions which became unavailable due to The Fallen Empire storyline. You must complete Chapter XVI before this option is available. Note that the terminal does not allow you to regain Companions which were guests (such as Darth Marr).

Visual Bug fixes:

Attack effects no longer fire from the feet of Annihilator T4-1D.

M1-4X’s Quick Kolto Burst now fires from his cannon instead of his chest, which he considers a marked improvement.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for this thread, I just happened to come across one of your posts and saw your signature. I found the guide really helpful. While some of the information might be considered spoilers, it might be good to emphasize in the guide which companions are likely not to be taken away from us, and therefore safer choices to rank up to influence 50. Not every player will have Niko, for example, or the cartel companions, or the DvL companion next year after the event is over, but they can all get access to Veeroa or Hemdil or Lokin.

Thanks for this thread, I just happened to come across one of your posts and saw your signature. I found the guide really helpful. While some of the information might be considered spoilers, it might be good to emphasize in the guide which companions are likely not to be taken away from us, and therefore safer choices to rank up to influence 50. Not every player will have Niko, for example, or the cartel companions, or the DvL companion next year after the event is over, but they can all get access to Veeroa or Hemdil or Lokin.

I'm glad it helped! I've been thinking that also, I'll see if I can find a good way to word it.

Wow I can't believe this isn't stickied! thank alot for the work you put into this!

For sure, my guildies are sooo sick of hearing me say something about companions :) It's a fun hobby though.

I just added a section on Level Syncing. I don't think people will actually change gear much, but it might bring back the command stim :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread and information, thanks for your hard work. You'ed be surprised how many people don't believe you when you tell them that a weapon barrel/hilt on a companion affects their DPS.

One tip for the eternal championship. The breaktown brawler fight has a mechanic where ranged attacks are reflected, worth switching to a melee version of whatever you prefer (DPS or heals) for this fight, if you normally run a ranged companion.

You should stick a note in there somewhere about the "guest companion" issue.

Apparently "guest" companions (i.e. haven't formally joined your crew) work correctly up to Influence rank 49, but if you push them all the way to rank 50(1), they suddenly start performing as if they are rank 1 again.

The solution, obviously, is to finish the class missions for the planet where you acquire them and do the post-planet holocommunicator / intercom conversation, at which point they cease to be guest companions. Once they are promoted to full companions, rank 50 works normally. Or, indeed, to realise that rank 3 or so more than suffices for all class and planetary arc content.

(1) Yes, apparently there are people who take the time and expense needed to get a companion all the way to rank 50 during the planet-of-acquisition. They come on the forums to complain about their companions being suddenly enfeebled.

I'd like to mention that for healing the new CM droid(Iso - XR or something like that, he looks quite like golden fury) has a kolto cloud ability which would probably get his hps quite high. I'll try to parse him later that week when i have enough time and will post his hps here.