Does Lana Beniko romance bug still occurs? If so, how can I avoid it?

StaarRunner

I just returned after a year of not playing, and finished storyline on my Sith Warrior. Today I played Forged Alliance, and pursued a romance with Lana Beniko. Now, I heard that there is this bug which is caused by a patch, that resets your progress in your romance with her, and that it occurs during KotFE.

My questions are - Does this bug still occurs? If so, how can I avoid it? How does this work exactly? Additional problem is, that there's a maitenance soon on 11th of June, which will prolly result in patch. I don't think I will be able to finish SoR, KotET and KotFE until the maitenance.

I just returned after a year of not playing, and finished storyline on my Sith Warrior. Today I played Forged Alliance, and pursued a romance with Lana Beniko. Now, I heard that there is this bug which is caused by a patch, that resets your progress in your romance with her, and that it occurs during KotFE.

My questions are - Does this bug still occurs? If so, how can I avoid it? How does this work exactly? Additional problem is, that there's a maitenance soon on 11th of June, which will prolly result in patch. I don't think I will be able to finish SoR, KotET and KotFE until the maitenance.

The "there was a patch" bug goes something like this (although its existence is disputed):

* It does not affect the romance with Lana *or* Theron during the Revan/Vitiate series(1)

* The bug is "armed" (made possible) when you begin, I believe KotFE Chapter III, or possibly even just when you begin KotFE.

* The bug is "disarmed" (made impossible) when you finish KotFE Chapter IX.

* It does not affect KotFE Chapters X to XVI, nor post-KotFE content.

* The bug is "set off" by there being a patch after you armed the bug, but before you disarmed it, that is, after you begin KotFE but before you finish Chapter IX.

* The "To Find a Findsman" mission that you'll get is granted in Chapter IX but is not part of it, and you can and should leave that until after you have locked in the romance.

Good news:

* If there's no patch in that time, that bug won't bite you.

* If you fall victim to the bug, the situation can be recovered. Read on.

* Playing through KotFE Chapters I to IX takes five or six hours of gameplay, including watching all the cinematics, although that doesn't allow you a lot of time for "tourism" on Zakuul and Asylum.

To determine that you have been affected by the bug, watch carefully during the infamous "cantina" scene in Chapter IX. At one point, you ask to speak to one of the KLT (Koth, Lana, Theron) companions, and the game (if everything is going well) presents you with an atrocity of game story navigation design. It's a dialogue wheel with two options. How can that be an atrocity?

Well, you're speaking to Theron immediately before, and you get this wheel:

1. I'd like to speak with one of you

2. [Flirt] I'd like to speak with one of you

I'm not kidding. That's it. The second option does *not* mean "I'd like to speak with one of you right after I flirt with Theron". No, it means "I'd like to flirt with one of you".

WARNING: if you want to pursue your romance with the companion you've been flirting with, pick 2. During the conversation that follows, you will get another [Flirt] option. Pick this and you'll get a popup warning about locking in a romance. Confirm it with the CONFIRM button.

What happens if the bug has bitten you? Well, option 2 is not shown. It's as simple as that, but the situation can be rescued. Immediately press Esc to bail out of the conversation, and restart one of the earlier chapters using the Chapter menu (Shift+E) or the Activities menu (Ctrl+G). Then restart Chapter IX and flirt with Theron when he arrives. This returns the full set of KLT "romance states" to the correct state for what you did in the earlier chapters, and it is why we never see complaints about this bug for Theron.

EDIT: footnote

(1) In-game, "Shadow of Revan" refers strictly to the story on Rishi and Yavin plus the Blood Hunt and Battle of Rishi flashpoints. The "Prelude to Revan" ("Forged Alliances") story (Tython, Korriban, Manaan and Rakata Prime flashpoints) and "Rise of the Emperor" story (Ziost) were released separately.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

I have noticed that Chapter 8 is a good way to test if the Lana romance is bugged. Or at least there was a Lana romance bug that can be dealt with in Chapter 8 sometimes. If you are able to kiss her at the start, before you go to meet Heskal, the Lana romance is working properly. If you don't kiss her after the flirt, then something is wrong and she won't appear to save you at the end. But I've noticed I've been able to get it work properly if I restarted the chapter before finishing it for the first time. Edited by OldVengeance

• 1 year later...
I still don't understand how to deal with this bug in the ninth Chapter. The problem is that I don't have the two dialog options that mean "flirt" or "normal conversation" at all. I am immediately asked to choose to talk to one of the 3 characters. Although the entire romantic branch, starting with the shadow of Revan and up to Chapter 9, lined up with Lana. After that, I completely lose all options for flirting with her. I went through the story to the last Chapter of the knights of the eternal throne story. Now I want to find out how to fix this bug and replay the plot with the old character starting from the moment when everything went wrong. If you know how to fix this, please write to us.

I still don't understand how to deal with this bug in the ninth Chapter. The problem is that I don't have the two dialog options that mean "flirt" or "normal conversation" at all. I am immediately asked to choose to talk to one of the 3 characters. Although the entire romantic branch, starting with the shadow of Revan and up to Chapter 9, lined up with Lana. After that, I completely lose all options for flirting with her. I went through the story to the last Chapter of the knights of the eternal throne story. Now I want to find out how to fix this bug and replay the plot with the old character starting from the moment when everything went wrong. If you know how to fix this, please write to us.

Sorry to say this, but you can't fix it if you play on into Chapter X of KotFE. You can replay the individual chapters, but doing so will not rewrite history.

On the other hand, only that one character is affected. For another character, just bear in mind what I said above and you won't have the same problem again.

• 2 months later...
Sorry to say this, but you can't fix it if you play on into Chapter X of KotFE. You can replay the individual chapters, but doing so will not rewrite history.

On the other hand, only that one character is affected. For another character, just bear in mind what I said above and you won't have the same problem again.

Hi i had this bug 2 days ago i did every flirt option even the one in chapter 9 for lana and when i finsihed the traitor arc it didnt give me the option to marry her i hope that they make a second chance for people who are having this proplem still.

Hi i had this bug 2 days ago i did every flirt option even the one in chapter 9 for lana and when i finsihed the traitor arc it didnt give me the option to marry her i hope that they make a second chance for people who are having this proplem still.

That's a *different* problem, where the game forgets that you romanced Lana.

That's a *different* problem, where the game forgets that you romanced Lana.

Hi Thanks for the reply do you know if there is anyway to fix this in the future i read on one of your replys saying that they are rumors to fix this in the future. Ive seen alot of people having this proplem recently aswell sad that this is my main character.

Hi Thanks for the reply do you know if there is anyway to fix this in the future i read on one of your replys saying that they are rumors to fix this in the future. Ive seen alot of people having this proplem recently aswell sad that this is my main character.

All I've seen are rumours, so I have no idea what will *really* happen.

There's a problem if they don't, since people have been complaining about one sort or other of Lana-romance problem ever since 4.0 was released, which is five years ago now.

Hi thanks SteveTheCynic for always replying!

I really really hope the devs are seeing these forums cause of this bug the story is kinda ruined for me. Took me more than 10 hours to finish the story just to get a bug that changes my character's story forever leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Many people also submitted tickets about problems about Lana's romance only to get shot down by support saying "nothing can be done" or "there is no bug".

Edited by qwerryytuu

Best way to avoid the bug in my experience is to play all the chapters up to the the lock-in point on Odessen in a row and use all the flirt options.

But don't start at 9pm, since it's five or six hours if you play them straight through in one sitting.

On the other hand, you don't need to do it in one sitting. Just make sure that there isn't a patch in the middle, which means you begin after they pack up for the weekend on Friday (e.g. three hours Saturday, three hours Sunday).

And yes, take all flirt options with Lana if you want to romance her. And don't ((spoiler))

lie about V being in your head

• 2 weeks later...
But don't start at 9pm, since it's five or six hours if you play them straight through in one sitting.

On the other hand, you don't need to do it in one sitting. Just make sure that there isn't a patch in the middle, which means you begin after they pack up for the weekend on Friday (e.g. three hours Saturday, three hours Sunday).

And yes, take all flirt options with Lana if you want to romance her. And don't ((spoiler))

lie about V being in your head

Just doing what you discribed in advices of fixing it, don't help, I completed 8.9 chapter and starts 10. Maybe I was stupid enough but i do not select 2 option in dialogs in cantina and... thats all going to famous place... Now i repeat chapter 8 and 9 by reseting them ( KOTHET) but nothing changes.

Just doing what you discribed in advices of fixing it, don't help, I completed 8.9 chapter and starts 10. Maybe I was stupid enough but i do not select 2 option in dialogs in cantina and... thats all going to famous place... Now i repeat chapter 8 and 9 by reseting them ( KOTHET) but nothing changes.

Did you read this thing that I *also* wrote on page 1?

You started Chapter X, and that means that what you did in Chapter IX is locked in for this character, and cannot be changed.

Did you read this thing that I *also* wrote on page 1?

You started Chapter X, and that means that what you did in Chapter IX is locked in for this character, and cannot be changed.

Is there a way to backup my progress in KOTET with some help from administration ? Bugs reports or something like it doesn't effect in any case . My mistake starting Chapter 10 :)

Edited by POP___COPrus

• 11 months later...
The "there was a patch" bug goes something like this (although its existence is disputed):

* It does not affect the romance with Lana *or* Theron during the Revan/Vitiate series(1)

* The bug is "armed" (made possible) when you begin, I believe KotFE Chapter III, or possibly even just when you begin KotFE.

* The bug is "disarmed" (made impossible) when you finish KotFE Chapter IX.

* It does not affect KotFE Chapters X to XVI, nor post-KotFE content.

* The bug is "set off" by there being a patch after you armed the bug, but before you disarmed it, that is, after you begin KotFE but before you finish Chapter IX.

* The "To Find a Findsman" mission that you'll get is granted in Chapter IX but is not part of it, and you can and should leave that until after you have locked in the romance.

Good news:

* If there's no patch in that time, that bug won't bite you.

* If you fall victim to the bug, the situation can be recovered. Read on.

* Playing through KotFE Chapters I to IX takes five or six hours of gameplay, including watching all the cinematics, although that doesn't allow you a lot of time for "tourism" on Zakuul and Asylum.

To determine that you have been affected by the bug, watch carefully during the infamous "cantina" scene in Chapter IX. At one point, you ask to speak to one of the KLT (Koth, Lana, Theron) companions, and the game (if everything is going well) presents you with an atrocity of game story navigation design. It's a dialogue wheel with two options. How can that be an atrocity?

Well, you're speaking to Theron immediately before, and you get this wheel:

1. I'd like to speak with one of you

2. [Flirt] I'd like to speak with one of you

I'm not kidding. That's it. The second option does *not* mean "I'd like to speak with one of you right after I flirt with Theron". No, it means "I'd like to flirt with one of you".

WARNING: if you want to pursue your romance with the companion you've been flirting with, pick 2. During the conversation that follows, you will get another [Flirt] option. Pick this and you'll get a popup warning about locking in a romance. Confirm it with the CONFIRM button.

What happens if the bug has bitten you? Well, option 2 is not shown. It's as simple as that, but the situation can be rescued. Immediately press Esc to bail out of the conversation, and restart one of the earlier chapters using the Chapter menu (Shift+E) or the Activities menu (Ctrl+G). Then restart Chapter IX and flirt with Theron when he arrives. This returns the full set of KLT "romance states" to the correct state for what you did in the earlier chapters, and it is why we never see complaints about this bug for Theron.

EDIT: footnote

(1) In-game, "Shadow of Revan" refers strictly to the story on Rishi and Yavin plus the Blood Hunt and Battle of Rishi flashpoints. The "Prelude to Revan" ("Forged Alliances") story (Tython, Korriban, Manaan and Rakata Prime flashpoints) and "Rise of the Emperor" story (Ziost) were released separately.

That is just that. I don't get the "I wanna speak with one of you [flirt]" option in Chapter IX. Idk why. I was flirting Lana all the time. I just finished KOTFE and found out I don't have a romance with her. So all my dark Jedi and Emperor play through wasted. I am just mad and utterly disappointed. Is there any fast fix to get the relationship? Like repeat Chapter IX of KOTET then skip all over to last Chapter of KOTFE and get the wedding cutscene? Or is it wasted playthrough and I have to go again?

That is just that. I don't get the "I wanna speak with one of you [flirt]" option in Chapter IX. Idk why. I was flirting Lana all the time. I just finished KOTFE and found out I don't have a romance with her. So all my dark Jedi and Emperor play through wasted. I am just mad and utterly disappointed. Is there any fast fix to get the relationship? Like repeat Chapter IX of KOTET then skip all over to last Chapter of KOTFE and get the wedding cutscene? Or is it wasted playthrough and I have to go again?

If you finished KotFE without the romance then you can't fix it for that character. On the other hand, I'm not going to decide for you whether the time was wasted.

• 1 month later...
I got a similar bug! I initiated romance with Lana - got the message box and accepted after speaking to her privately. Then I checked the character description for Lana to check for the relationship status - it was there until I finished the chapter and now it is gone! And I haven't had any romantic dialogue Qs since! :mad:

I got a similar bug! I initiated romance with Lana - got the message box and accepted after speaking to her privately. Then I checked the character description for Lana to check for the relationship status - it was there until I finished the chapter and now it is gone! And I haven't had any romantic dialogue Qs since! :mad:

Is this a "boosted-to-70-at-creation" character? (Same thing for old "boosted-to-65" characters.)

If so, you are effectively on your character's *second* play-through of KotFE, so you can't make lasting changes to the outcomes. (They'll show up while you are *in* a chapter, but disappear as soon as you go in to the next one.)

If it's not that, you'll have to give a bit of background, what you played through, in what order (roughly), that sort of stuff. (The other thing that it could be is getting to level 70 by some other means and taking the mission Inflection Point from your ship's mission console. A start-at-70 character has effectively done that.)

Is this a "boosted-to-70-at-creation" character? (Same thing for old "boosted-to-65" characters.)

If so, you are effectively on your character's *second* play-through of KotFE, so you can't make lasting changes to the outcomes. (They'll show up while you are *in* a chapter, but disappear as soon as you go in to the next one.)

If it's not that, you'll have to give a bit of background, what you played through, in what order (roughly), that sort of stuff. (The other thing that it could be is getting to level 70 by some other means and taking the mission Inflection Point from your ship's mission console. A start-at-70 character has effectively done that.)

Yeah - it is exactly that, boosted to lvl 50 - ran the KOTFE campaign up until Lana romance - finished the chapter, skipped to onslaught and it deleted the romance even though I had already locked in. Think because I didn't finish the whole story line it re wrote everything I had actually done. I find that quite ironic considering the support team say they can't overwrite anything but I literally overwrote my own locked in decisions myself XD Your replies are really good btw, been reading them for ages without posting.

Edited by geomarleyboy

Yeah - it is exactly that, boosted to lvl 50 - ran the KOTFE campaign up until Lana romance - finished the chapter, skipped to onslaught and it deleted the romance even though I had already locked in. Think because I didn't finish the whole story line it re wrote everything I had actually done. I find that quite ironic considering the support team say they can't overwrite anything but I literally overwrote my own locked in decisions myself XD Your replies are really good btw, been reading them for ages without posting.

Ah, yes. You got bitten by what are sometimes called "save points". This thread from 2019 explains them well:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=958655

That said, when you say "finished the chapter", did you mean "and began the chapter after it"? (Chapter X, where you recruit

Kaliyo

) The end of Chapter IX is supposed to be a "hard save point" that permanently records previous decisions, but...

Chapter IX ends when Chapter X begins, so you have to talk to Senya and then follow the cinematics that link it to Chapter X, then arrive on Zakuul.

It may be that they changed where the hard save points are since 2019, of course, although I find that ... unlikely.

• 1 year later...

Same bug, First time playing this game since march 18th and you know, Cantina bug happend with no. No flirt option, only talk with Lana or Theron. 

Patiently waiting for flirt lines and it happends that now I'am in Onslaught expansion without Lana romance. Who would have thought, huh? Definitely not me...