[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup

how does this compare in 5.5? also where do saberstuff users stand? Are they dual wield melee?

I've updated some of my parses, it looks like they added 200-300 dps to most types. They did not upgrade Melee single weapon users or K1-Z3N/Zoom though.

DPS - 1mil damage on the fleet operations dummy:

Level 50, Shae Vizla, 6500 (Ranged, 1 Pistol) -5.5

Level 50 Ensign Temple, 5400 (Ranged, 2 Pistols) -5.5

Level 50 Master Ranos, 5400(Melee, 2 Sabers) -5.5

Level 50 Kaliyo Djannis, 5030 (Ranged, Blaster Riffle) -5.5

Level 50, C8-S3C, 4900 (1 Vibrostaff, Melee) -5.5 --saberstaff user--

Leval 50, Lana, 4668 (1 saber, melee) -5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the amazing work and updates, man!

I have a few questions and comments, if you don't mind :)

1. Veeroa Denz's bugged finisher was fixed a while back, according to patch notes I read. I don't remember which patch though, and I never use her, so I don't know if it actually *was* fixed.

2. I pulled out Lokin (on my sorc, obtained from alliance alert, if that makes a difference), and he does not have a listed gap closer in dps mode, and his gap closer in tank stance lists a cooldown. Did Bioware patch his no-CD gap closer, or is the listed CD false?

3. You've said Z0-0M is the best healer due to a hidden AoE heal. I'm also curious if her other difference contributes to this. Unlike other healer comps, she has a channel with a CD, and an instant with no CD.

Thanks for the amazing work and updates, man!

I have a few questions and comments, if you don't mind :)

1. Veeroa Denz's bugged finisher was fixed a while back, according to patch notes I read. I don't remember which patch though, and I never use her, so I don't know if it actually *was* fixed.

2. I pulled out Lokin (on my sorc, obtained from alliance alert, if that makes a difference), and he does not have a listed gap closer in dps mode, and his gap closer in tank stance lists a cooldown. Did Bioware patch his no-CD gap closer, or is the listed CD false?

3. You've said Z0-0M is the best healer due to a hidden AoE heal. I'm also curious if her other difference contributes to this. Unlike other healer comps, she has a channel with a CD, and an instant with no CD.

Verona denz was fixed a while back, i think i forgot to remove a note on it.

Lokins skills won't show the gap closer, try forcing him to change targets a few times in a row to see the magic. Or fight a turret.

Zoom without the AOE heal would be the same as Zen, which parses very close to normal healing but isn't my preference due to the long channel time and poor off heals (channeled disabled).

Looks like Level 50 Veeroa Denz is the top healer at 7596 HPS. What do Hemdil Tre, Vette, Andronikos, Theron and Ashara parse?

Thanks.

I would assume they all parse about the same since they have double weapons. I'll let you know when I get some 5.6 healing data though to confirm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How can I test my companions?

Look in the section "Parsing" of the original post. Follow the link to download Parsec. They authors quit updating it, so it no longer works for Ops groups, but it's the only parsing app that measures companion performance. (that I know of)

Look in the section "Parsing" of the original post. Follow the link to download Parsec. They authors quit updating it, so it no longer works for Ops groups, but it's the only parsing app that measures companion performance. (that I know of)

Thank you very much.

Hmm it's always give me diferent numbers. :D

• 1 month later...

Level 1, D-R3D (Melee, 2 Vibroswords) 3235 - 5.6

Level 50, D-R3D (Melee, 2 Vibroswords) 5000 - 5.6

This droid is hella cool.. but his AOE attack does not actually hit twice over 1.5 seconds like it says, it just hits once, which causes the lower dps than other 2 weapon users.

• 1 month later...
Lana, Koth, Senya, Theron and Shae can all wear clothes now! I'm not sure what update that was, but I hope they keep going and fix the rest.

Couple patches back that happened. You lose the high-res models if you customized their outfits, though.

• 8 months later...

Updated guide a bit for 5.10 and Paxton.

DPS Parse on Rishi debuffed Operation dummy 1.5m:

Level 1, Shae Vizla (Ranged, 1 Pistol) 4914

Level 1, Nico Okarr (Ranged, 2 Pistols) 4013

Level 1, Paxton Rall (Ranged, 1 Pistol) 3938

Paxton is a great healer, since he trades his bubble for a root attack that has an AOE heal (12.7k absorbed by bubble vs AOE heal for 7-13k per target).

Heal spec DPS Parse on Rishi debuffed Operation dummy 0.5m:

Level 1, Shae Vizla (Ranged, 1 Pistol) 2328

Level 1, Nico Okarr (Ranged, 2 Pistols) 2542

Level 1, Paxton Rall (Ranged, 1 Pistol) 2392

I also updated my notes on Tanks, Dr Lokin doesn't have real taunts, so he'll fall behind on longer fights. If your fighting a boss that wont rush your companion, try using a ranged tank companion since they get better agro per taunt.

Tank spec DPS Parse on Rishi debuffed Operation dummy 0.5m:

Level 1, Nico Okarr (Ranged, 2 Pistols) 1648 dps /48,582 threat

Level 1, Paxton Rall (Ranged, 1 Pistol) 1746 dps /45,839 threat

Level 1, Master Ranos (Melee, 2 Saber) 1839 dps /17,986 threat

Edited by KevMeup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Please add heal parses for Z0-0M and Paxton Rall at level 50.

I can't parse Z0-0M :( I had fraud on my account for a very short time when she was a subscriber reward. She should be slightly higher than Paxton Rall though.

2 mil heal parse, against 4 mobs in star fortress story mode:

Paxton Rall - 292 dps, 8461 heals, 7368 eff heals

Riana Temple - 33 dps, 7514 heals, 6225 eff heals

C8-S3C - 14 dps, 7265 heals, 6054 eff heals

KevMeup, I have referred to your guide several times over the past year or two, and I must thank you immensely for it, especially since you keep it up to date! I came back looking for how Paxton Rall stacked up, and you did not disappoint :D

I do have some questions though please, if you'll pardon my ignorance.

1. I know that two-weapon comps get a bonus to their damage...is the same true for staff-users like Xalek and Hexid?

2. Does the bonus for wielding two weapons (or for wielding a saberstaff, if there is in fact such a bonus) apply to healing effectiveness too?

3. Does the same bonus to damage apply even when in tank or heal mode? (That is, is there that same bonus to their damaging attacks even while in tank or heal stance?)

4. For questions #2 and #3, I have the same questions about the bonus to damage that melee comps get over ranged comps. :)

5. Given that the two-weapon melee comps parse more dps than the two-weapon ranged comps, why do you usually recommend a ranged comp (for dps) instead? I'm guessing that it's a combination of the long-range factor and the 5-second stun factor. Is that right, or is there something else?

6. For ranged tanks, why are taunts more effective at range, do you know?

7. Do we have any idea yet how Paxton Rall stacks up damage-wise to other companions, at influence level 50? I know he's a single-weapon user, but since there are sometimes non-standard effects on comps (like Shae, lol), I'm wondering if he's about normal dps for a single-weapon ranged user, or less, or more, when it comes to dps stance.

8. Speaking of single-weapon users, holy cow, your Kaliyo heal parse in story mode Star Fortress is amazing. Given that she's a single-weapon user, do you know why she's so effective at healing?

9. Why do you recommend Master Ranos specifically as best tank companion for leveling?

10. Your 2 million heal parse for Paxton Rall lists 292 dps(!) compared to 33 and 14 for Temple and the droid. Is that a typo or correct? :o I'm assuming it's correct; do you know how he's able to get such high dps even while in heal mode? EDIT: I just realized his Life Jolt thing does damage, d'oh; I presume that's why!

11. It's a shame that HK-51 is so bad at dps and tanking now! Is he any good at heals? I know he wouldn't be anywhere near top heals, it's just I like him and thus like using him sometimes, lol.

Thanks for all your time and dedication to this guide :D

Edited by AlCiao

A ranking for the silent companions would be cool

See which silent companion has the best heals/dps/tanking, but based on rough guesses i'd sassume one of the droid companions? i'm not sure

By silent companion I mean companions that don't talk EVERY time you kill something, because it gets annoying sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks a ton.

1. They do not get any bonus damage for 2 handed weapons. They used to get a damage reduction, but now it's pretty good.

2. Healing power is not changed by weapons at all as far as I've seen. Only skills.

3. The 2 weapon bonus does carry over to Tank or Heals.

4. Melee comps no longer get a noticeable bonus to damage over ranged, I'll need to give some more recent parses to give a clearer picture. 2 sabers is the same as 2 blasters.

5. See 4.

6. As part of all swtor tank mechanics taunts are more effective at range. It's since it has to give you enough threat to pull, and to keep bosses and mobs from running around, range has to do 30% more threat to pull off a melee.

7. Paxton is the same as other pistol users.

DPS Parse on Rishi debuffed Operation dummy 1.5m:

Level 1, Shae Vizla (Ranged, 1 Pistol) 4914 - 5.10

Level 1, Nico Okarr (Ranged, 2 Pistols) 4013 - 5.10

Level 1, Paxton Rall (Ranged, 1 Pistol) 3938 - 5.10

8. She was within normal variance of the others. Those do vary a bit since it's a number of ads attacking and agro might not all be single target.

9. Ranos is one many people have at level 1 in the mail from the DvL event. If you're an inquisitor Ashara is the same if you do the story for her.

10. Yeah, you're right, it's from the jolt.

11. Yeah, he's fine at heals, they just gave him all the normal skills.

KevMeup, I have referred to your guide several times over the past year or two, and I must thank you immensely for it, especially since you keep it up to date! I came back looking for how Paxton Rall stacked up, and you did not disappoint :D

I do have some questions though please, if you'll pardon my ignorance.

1. I know that two-weapon comps get a bonus to their damage...is the same true for staff-users like Xalek and Hexid?

2. Does the bonus for wielding two weapons (or for wielding a saberstaff, if there is in fact such a bonus) apply to healing effectiveness too?

3. Does the same bonus to damage apply even when in tank or heal mode? (That is, is there that same bonus to their damaging attacks even while in tank or heal stance?)

4. For questions #2 and #3, I have the same questions about the bonus to damage that melee comps get over ranged comps. :)

5. Given that the two-weapon melee comps parse more dps than the two-weapon ranged comps, why do you usually recommend a ranged comp (for dps) instead? I'm guessing that it's a combination of the long-range factor and the 5-second stun factor. Is that right, or is there something else?

6. For ranged tanks, why are taunts more effective at range, do you know?

7. Do we have any idea yet how Paxton Rall stacks up damage-wise to other companions, at influence level 50? I know he's a single-weapon user, but since there are sometimes non-standard effects on comps (like Shae, lol), I'm wondering if he's about normal dps for a single-weapon ranged user, or less, or more, when it comes to dps stance.

8. Speaking of single-weapon users, holy cow, your Kaliyo heal parse in story mode Star Fortress is amazing. Given that she's a single-weapon user, do you know why she's so effective at healing?

9. Why do you recommend Master Ranos specifically as best tank companion for leveling?

10. Your 2 million heal parse for Paxton Rall lists 292 dps(!) compared to 33 and 14 for Temple and the droid. Is that a typo or correct? :o I'm assuming it's correct; do you know how he's able to get such high dps even while in heal mode? EDIT: I just realized his Life Jolt thing does damage, d'oh; I presume that's why!

11. It's a shame that HK-51 is so bad at dps and tanking now! Is he any good at heals? I know he wouldn't be anywhere near top heals, it's just I like him and thus like using him sometimes, lol.

Thanks for all your time and dedication to this guide :D