On the future of Malavai Quinn? (spoilers for KOTET, Onslaught, SW story, etc)

Lexaroo

So, as the title suggests, this is a little spoiler heavy.

But I'm wondering about Quinn's "determinate" fate in KOTET … Does this mean we're unlikely to see him again as we can POTENTIALLY drive a lightsaber thru the poor dude? Yeah, there's a lot of different directions his character can go, but the death/imprisonment thing is a little discouraging. I get why they did it, because sooo many people wanted to kill him after he betrayed you in the base game, but the fact that he is such a polarizing character is kind of fun to play with storywise. People loooove to hate him and they want him dead and out of their game, but then many others still adore him (myself included, if it wasn't already obvious :p) and that's kind of fun for story drama. Either way there's a lot of strooong opinions out there about good old Quinn and I don't see why he couldn't return (if you didn't kill him back on Iokath lmfao). Buuut what with the legion of people that just straight up want him dead... Yeah. Maybe the devs wouldn't even think it was worth it. :(

I'm rambling a little sorry! TL;DR do you guys think Quinn is ever coming back? :D

The dev's have said that a character having a kill option doesn't determine whether they'll use that character again, but in practice whenever a character has a kill option they almost always disappear never to be seen or heard from again. There have been a some exceptions. Arcann, Koth, and Theron all have a kill option but they all make an appearance later in the story. They may be exceptions because they're a romance option, and while that may allow the possibility for Quinn to make a later appearance the OC love interests have received precious little screen time since their returns.

The dev's have said that a character having a kill option doesn't determine whether they'll use that character again, but in practice whenever a character has a kill option they almost always disappear never to be seen or heard from again. There have been a some exceptions. Arcann, Koth, and Theron all have a kill option but they all make an appearance later in the story. They may be exceptions because they're a romance option, and while that may allow the possibility for Quinn to make a later appearance the OC love interests have received precious little screen time since their returns.

Precious little indeed. While I do love Theron and Lana and their dynamic with the player character, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the apparent decision to focus on that little trio rather than continuing the story with the base game companions. I mean, look at Vector - we don't have any options to kill him, yet we've seen barely a peep out of him in the expansion content! There are exceptions of course, like with Vette and Torian and Jorgan, but even so, their fates are also up to the player at this point and we may not see them again (most heartbreaking choice in the game, felt so much like Virmire :( ).

I'd honestly love to see a bigger focus on all the story companions - Quinn is just my favorite.

My Sith Warrior was an Anti-Hero. He can make the Dark Choice, but he's pragmatic. If anything he agrees with Lana on her take of Sith philosophy even if they don't always agree on choice of action. After all he's been through by the time Quinn shows up, including becoming a widower, what happened was such a long time ago literally and figuratively my warrior didn't care anymore. He forgave Quinn. My second Sith Warrior, should I play him through the series, is much Darker and will kill him. He loathes betrayal, and it will take Theron level heroics to find forgiveness. Theron always lives.

My Sith Warrior was an Anti-Hero. He can make the Dark Choice, but he's pragmatic. If anything he agrees with Lana on her take of Sith philosophy even if they don't always agree on choice of action. After all he's been through by the time Quinn shows up, including becoming a widower, what happened was such a long time ago literally and figuratively my warrior didn't care anymore. He forgave Quinn. My second Sith Warrior, should I play him through the series, is much Darker and will kill him. He loathes betrayal, and it will take Theron level heroics to find forgiveness. Theron always lives.

See this is great though! I love the multiple playthroughs, multiple fates dealio! And I'm gonna be real with you, I have the hardest time killing him at that point in the game. It's been so long for both of them that it barely makes sense - the devs may as well re-implement the ability to kill him during the original betrayal.

Given the current way the story is designed I doubt we'll see much of any companions again, unless they get singular scenes like the ones Elara and Vector were given most recently, which frankly, I feel like isn't even worth the effort. Maybe you'll get lucky and you get a scene where Quinn does nothing or says something vague.

I really hope the developers get around to making "companion interaction" in upcoming story content, like comments to interactions you'd be having while playing the story, like the good old days. I doubt it though, probably too much work for the current team even to just implement a few.

It'd really do something for story replayability if at least a couple of optional scenes were made for companions.

Edited by JuventusAndFCK

Given the current way the story is designed I doubt we'll see much of any companions again, unless they get singular scenes like the ones Elara and Vector were given most recently, which frankly, I feel like isn't even worth the effort. Maybe you'll get lucky and you get a scene where Quinn does nothing or says something vague.

I really hope the developers get around to making "companion interaction" in upcoming story content, like comments to interactions you'd be having while playing the story, like the good old days. I doubt it though, probably too much work for the current team even to just implement a few.

It'd really do something for story replayability if at least a couple of optional scenes were made for companions.

See, that being "the good old days" is the problem. But what makes SWTOR so special as an mmorpg (at least for me) is that the RPG element is still extremely heavy. You're not a bystander getting scooched along the trajectory of the main quest, you're a character in your own story making your own light and dark decisions that (however small) play a part in the outcome. It's not all shooting and looting your way to endgame content. There's good old Bioware-style companions and there's character interaction and decisions and story that I know a lot of people enjoy.

Conversations getting added retroactively to the expansions would be AMAZING. New content with companions would be even more so. I mean companions are already more than half of what I see people talking about in the chat and I get that new companion content is a huge effort for the devs, but if I'm being honest with you the comps are a lot of the reason why I play at all. I hope I'm not alone on this, what with how popular comps are, but yeah. :(

I mean companions are already more than half of what I see people talking about in the chat and I get that new companion content is a huge effort for the devs, but if I'm being honest with you the comps are a lot of the reason why I play at all. I hope I'm not alone on this, what with how popular comps are, but yeah. :(

I always hoped that the writers and storyboard designers would implement a "companion slot" like, maybe as a default it'd just be Lana like usual, so if you don't have an available companion. In case you do have a companion with you, then the same scene will play but the companion accompanying you would occupy the dialogue spots that Lana normally holds.

For scenes where a character adresses you that aren't necessarily you companion I'd make use of the romance flag, so those that have a romantic interest to their character could get to interact with them as well. Basically if you have a romance, they get the spotlight, if not then Lana.

The characters that most people care about are romantic options in the first place, so I think it could be a compromise between "implementing all companions" and "implementing no companions"

Edited by JuventusAndFCK

• 3 weeks later...

I just want Quinn back T_T

I don't get why when starting Onslaught, in the companions tab his status changes from "... you've decided to complete your romance" to "you chose to go your separate ways". I DID NOT CHOSE THAT!!!!!! And what does that mean?? We broke up? Or he's just living in Dromund Kaas serving Acina but still married to my character?

I need answers! It makes me so sad not knowing what happened to our romance...

Edit: so apparently is just a bug that messes with the log info when you check it during a flashpoint or something. i don't know what happened here lol but i'm HAPPY bc it went all back to normal!! :D

Edited by ZedaEkraa

I just want Quinn back T_T

I don't get why when starting Onslaught, in the companions tab his status changes from "... you've decided to complete your romance" to "you chose to go your separate ways". I DID NOT CHOSE THAT!!!!!! And what does that mean?? We broke up? Or he's just living in Dromund Kaas serving Acina but still married to my character?

I need answers! It makes me so sad not knowing what happened to our romance...

Or is there a way to resume the romance that i'm not aware of?

That happens if you have skipped to Onslaught without playing the other stories, specifically Iokath. It just like my characters killed Arcann if they skipped Koet and went straight to Onslaught. It was a choice that the game makes when you do that. While some of my sith would have killed him (my sorceress especially) some of my other empire characters would not have but it is what it is when I didn't feel like taking them through the story again.

Edited by casirabit

That happens if you have skipped to Onslaught without playing the other stories, specifically Iokath.

The thing is that i didn't skip to Onslaught, i did all the story arcs so when i saw that the relationship status changed i got scared hahah

Apparently it was just a bug! I was checking the characters tab while doing the Meridian fp, and it looked bugged there, but when i finished it everything went back to normal! :)

I had totally forgot about him betraying the warrior until I did the whole story on a new toon. Took a 7 year break so I pretty much came back and played every class up to the end of their class story. I did finish the Sorc and Assassin all the way through. Soon as I get done doing some crafting stuffs I plan on doing the full story again on my Shadow, just to see the "light side" version of the stories.

But the one thing that was pretty laughable was the 2 droids he built to kill me, they literally melted. For how much he barked about how they would defeat me I was hoping they would at least be gold or champion level lol.

I had totally forgot about him betraying the warrior until I did the whole story on a new toon. Took a 7 year break so I pretty much came back and played every class up to the end of their class story. I did finish the Sorc and Assassin all the way through. Soon as I get done doing some crafting stuffs I plan on doing the full story again on my Shadow, just to see the "light side" version of the stories.

But the one thing that was pretty laughable was the 2 droids he built to kill me, they literally melted. For how much he barked about how they would defeat me I was hoping they would at least be gold or champion level lol.

He didn't take the warrior's plot armor into account of course :D hardly his fault! hehe.

I always hoped that the writers and storyboard designers would implement a "companion slot" like, maybe as a default it'd just be Lana like usual, so if you don't have an available companion. In case you do have a companion with you, then the same scene will play but the companion accompanying you would occupy the dialogue spots that Lana normally holds.

For scenes where a character adresses you that aren't necessarily you companion I'd make use of the romance flag, so those that have a romantic interest to their character could get to interact with them as well. Basically if you have a romance, they get the spotlight, if not then Lana.

The characters that most people care about are romantic options in the first place, so I think it could be a compromise between "implementing all companions" and "implementing no companions"

This is actually a great idea. Kind of a happy medium for developers to not overwhelm them with re-implementing every single companion, but it would be great for people who, yeah, just want the romanceable characters. I, myself, would be just fine with it.

This is actually a great idea. Kind of a happy medium for developers to not overwhelm them with re-implementing every single companion, but it would be great for people who, yeah, just want the romanceable characters. I, myself, would be just fine with it.

Cheers. Especially recently I feel like quite a few romance characters were returned without doing anything with them, for example the smuggler romances all only get a single scene. It also makes sense that our commander would take their lover into their advisor team.

For my Sith darkside warrior that romanced him in the initial story, she did break up with him, but did not kill him because he was useful as a tool to be used for the Empire.

She DID however punish him every chance she got to the extent he is wearing cyborg armor and still gets punched in the face every so often just as a reminder (Sith race option :p. Canon-wise, she decided to romance Arcan just because he is such a powerful force user.

I do not like the fact that every romance option for a female (straight) character for the warrior is someone who at one time or another tried to kill her off (yeah, I'm including the "train" incident for Theron even though he argueably tried not to aim really well).

This particular warrior is dark side but not a masochist.:mad: