A problem with Melee

Vego_Mohenjo

So, I've been playing my Juggernaut tonight, and it's brought into focus the reason I stopped playing him (and my Guardian). It's a problem all the melee classes seem to suffer from.

It's nearly impossible to play because you're being constantly or even CONTINUOUSLY crowd controlled by endless knocks, bounces, stuns and holds.

I fought three Sith Commandos on Hoth who Force Choked me over and over for nearly 40 minutes. That's not an exaggeration. The only time I was able to move was when Unleashed was off cooldown, and once I used it, they would immediately reapply the hold. It began when one used the hold, and as soon as it wore off the second used it. When that wore off, the third used it. By the time that wore off, the first was able to use his again. This went on for FOURTY MINUTES.

Tonight, I went into the Toxic Bombs heroic. Every foe I approached bounced me back. By the time I got close enough to him to attack again, the guy beside him would bounce me back. As I got close to the first one, HE bounced me back.

Eventually, I jumped in to a group, where one bounced me back, and before I landed another bounced me back into the air, then the next one did the same, and the next, and the next. FIVE TIMES they juggled me in midair, unable to act, unable to even LAND. Eventually, I fell through the floor into the toxic goo. Because I had glitched through the floor, there was NO way back up, so I just had to stand down there with no way to escape or survive.

Again, there was NOTHING I could do about it. There's no way to interrupt their endless pulse knocks, and no way to do anything once they've knocked you into the air.

So, I need to offer a suggestion to remedy this.

First, being CCed should provide a brief immunity to further CC. They knock me back, I'm immune to CC for a couple of seconds.

Second, Melee characters, and ESPECIALLY Tanks, need to have some immunity at all times. A brief immunity (perhaps 3 seconds) should be added to one or two of their attacks (eg. Aegis Assault), and such attacks should be blockable (by Shield/Absorb or by Defense).

As it is, playing a melee character just isn't any fun because you're CONSTANTLY being knocked out of combat. It needs to be addressed.

What spec and level are you? All Juggernaut/Guardians can take the utility to grant immunity for push/pull and movement impairing effects for 4 seconds. If you're on Vengeance/Vigilance then you have the Brawn passive, so after each Force Charge, you get another 4 seconds of immunity to interrupt, knockbacks = 8 seconds in total.

So, the name of the game is to Force Charge as much as you want.

I just did the Toxic Bombs Heroic (on Balmorra) on my Vengeance Juggernaut to experience what the OP wrote. The mobs do knock back often which can be frustrating; strange how I didn't notice this till now.

In this and other fights where mobs knock you back, there are 2 risks:

- you cannot DPS them down as fast as you prefer and might even be defeated

- a knockback might put you too close to another mob thereby aggroing that group as well

Three ways I try to mitigate this:

- make sure companion is on heal

- be careful with AoE skills so that the mob cc'ed by the companion does not take damage

- place the player between the mob and the closest hard surface like the missiles in this case (or a wall, generally) so that

• the distance the character is knocked back is limited
  • the character is not knocked into a nearby mob

Holy CRAP, I just finished Makeb on my Juggernaut, and it was beyond idiotic how much I was getting bounced and tossed and yanked back and forth. I would jump in and be immune for 4 seconds, or whatever it is, but the enemy would just wait for that to expire, and bounce me away. Then he'd yank me back and then some other enemy would yank me back the other way. Then he'd bounce me away. At that point, they'd stun me or knock me down, or root me or whatever else controls they could pile on these characters. And that battle with the Archon... tosses me to the far opposite side of the room, then does a giant oneshot red blast you can no longer avoid or dodge because the cone is huge at that distance, and you're rooted anyway...

It's too much. REALLY too much. There needs to be something to make this less onerous... especially for tanks, but melee in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the amount of CC's in this game is on the side of stupidity. I agree.

That was one of the reasons I stopped playing I think during 4.0 along with my main Hatred assassins being class murdered.

Everything has some hard cc and mot much to to about them. a 12 sec or 8sec interrupt and a 2m or 1.30 cc break that does not give you immunity so you can just be hard cc'd right after using your Cool Down.

Some things are balanced some are not. some classes are balanced some are not. Just be happy you were on a jugg to fight 3 on 1 for 40 minutes. Juggs have good Cool downs for sustain.

Yes the amount of CC's in this game is on the side of stupidity. I agree.

That was one of the reasons I stopped playing I think during 4.0 along with my main Hatred assassins being class murdered.

Everything has some hard cc and mot much to to about them. a 12 sec or 8sec interrupt and a 2m or 1.30 cc break that does not give you immunity so you can just be hard cc'd right after using your Cool Down.

Some things are balanced some are not. some classes are balanced some are not. Just be happy you were on a jugg to fight 3 on 1 for 40 minutes. Juggs have good Cool downs for sustain.

The only reason I could survive was my companion was healing and in the end, did all the fighting too. Kind of underwhelming, really... and not great game design. If being held or stunned or something gave you a couple of seconds of immunity, that would help. If that also applied a "buff" that would increase the duration of that immunity should you get controlled again, that would be better.

So, for example, if I get held, and break out, I have 2 seconds of immunity. When that wears off, I have (say) 5 seconds of resistance. If I'm held again during the 5 second period, when the hold wears off, I'd be immune for 3 seconds, and would have the resistance buff for 5 more seconds. If I'm held AGAIN during that period, the immunity would get longer still... and longer each time I'm re-held during the resistance period.

Good LORD, how does anyone actually enjoy a melee character in the newer content? Since Makeb, it's just nonstop knocks, bounces, stuns, holds, roots....

Just fought Torch (Shae) on Rishi, and it was just hold, break free, knock, root, stun, hold, knock, stun, hold, knock. Every three seconds, she was bouncing me back and rooting me, then flying back over a fire pit so I couldn't get close enough to melee.

And she's just the latest one. EVERY enemy is like this now. How the hell are we supposed to do anything? I feel ike I'm mired in molasses, trying to play the game in complete futility while my companion does everything while I'm stunned, held or whatever.

• 5 weeks later...

I know the Hoth heroic youre talking about. Its lot of fun to counting the stuns, kicks etc. There are about 30-40 in it.

The thing is those quests were once supposed to be played by a group of 4 players so that everyone get their fair share of cc. Now youre playing alone and getting all of it.

And yes its absolutly ridicoulus.

But obviously those mobs felt the same way. So the devs will nerf/prune YOUR defenses AND stuns with 7.0