No more color restrictions on crystals ?! Really ?

Gauvi

I barely post but since most people who post are here to complain about things, I'll do the same.

My current state right now

I am playing a Star Wars game and one thing that was iconic to the franchise is definitely the color of crystals tied to the alignment of its user.

Whether it is actually a restriction in the lore of Star Wars or not, doesn't matter.

What matters is that it is how it is, and all haters have now managed to make Bioware change it.

Couldn't you just go along with it ? It's been like this for YEARS in Star Wars and just because some kids don't like it "oh noes y me no haz red lightsaber???", Bioware is changing something iconic to the serie.

Now, what is done is done and I am not going to go on a crusade like some of you did to change it back.

Bioware, you were doing a great job and are still doing the great job. I will likely continue to play this game. However, please don't cave in to whatever stupid requests your community has. You are the developer, with experience in studying, designing and developing games. I trust your judgment and the community should as well.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you....

Unfortunately the HUGE amount of whining from players about getting opposite Faction crystals is... well it's just a ton of whining which usually gets dealt with by going through the path of least resistance.

I think Purple should be both Factions.

Orange should be Empire

Yellow should be Republic.

Red Empire.

Blue Republic

Green Republic

Magenta Empire

Cyan Republic

White.... that's odd for a saber color but white should be both Factions.

Those are just my feelings, as well as the black core crystals should go to their respective factions based on border color, obviously pre-order and razer being exceptions as they are "Special" bonus items.

But yeah, I mean.... it's what ruins games, usually actual game mechanics get destroyed by PvP whiners and everything "interesting" or "unique" about gameplay or a Faction/Race gets ruined by PvE players who think they should have access to everything in the game regardless of what choices they made.

The only crystals I think should be limited are red. Maybe blue and green.

Everything else is up in the air, and should be special to your character. Rare crystals are fine as long as anyone can get them. I love how they did the magenta crystals. More color crystals should be gained by adventuring for them.

Ultimately though I don't mind if there are no limits. It's such a minor thing to me compared to all the nerfing done to placate the PVP crowd (who never stop complaining anyway)

Edited by Fiachsidhe

...They are just crystals...colors, in fact only blue/red/green were the restricted ones...why does it matter? I seem to recall before, people complaining that there were restrictions and now when the devs change it yall say no? MAKE UP YOUR MINDS! Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Keep in mind that these silly color restrictions affect non-force users too.

Why as a bounty hunter should I be forced to fire red bolts?

Oh, and the lore supports sith with green/blue sabers and jedi with red ones.

Edited by panacebo

I am playing a Star Wars game and one thing that was iconic to the franchise is definitely the color of crystals tied to the alignment of its user.

Apparently, you're not much of a Star Wars fan.

Color has-never-been-nor-will-it-ever-be restricted to morality. Lucas himself has confirmed that there is no direct link. The only lore basis for the restrictions was that, in the time of TPM, AotC etc., Sith couldn't get their hands on natural crystal supplies, and had to use synthetic crystals. Synth crystals (Luke used a synth crystal in RotJ, too, btw) are created by channeling the force through a forge. In the case of darksiders, this creates a crimson-red crystal... but not all synth crystals are red -- nor are all the sabers of Sith red. Certainly, the fact that the Sith in the TOR timeline favor purple just as much as red is proof of this.

Frankly, the limits in TOR make absolutely no sense as implemented in the game. They neither preserve the 'look' of the films, nor do they have any basis in the lore. You would argue that color is tied to morality as if picking up a green or a blue saber as a darksider would cause it to explode in my hand. Even in the films, time and again we are shown that darksiders can use 'light' colors (Anakin/Vader with blue throughout Ep. III, Vader ignited Luke's green saber in Ep. VI). Similarly, lightsiders can use red... as in the case of Anakin picking up Dooku's saber to finish him off with.

HI THAR. MY NAME IZ EXAR KUN, ONE OF THE MOST BAD-*** SITH LORDS OF ALL TIMES (YOU CAN TELL SINC I USE ALL CAPS TO POST). I'D JUS LIK 2 JUMP IN HERE AND POINT OUT DAT I USED A BLUE SABRE. TY. DATS ALL I WANTED. <3 TO MY HOMIES IN EMPIR.

Thanks, Exar.

Getting back on topic, the simple fact of the matter is, there is no canonical basis or otherwise for the current crystal restrictions. They were, quite literally, something Bioware conjured out of thin air. And, what's worse, they don't even preserve the look of the films, instead forcing many Jedi to abandon green/blue, and many Sith to forsake red. If you wanted to see more Sith using red, and more Jedi using green/blue as in the films, you should actually support dropping the restrictions.

As it stands now, I believe you simply don't understand either the lore or the system we've got in game.

--------------------------------

Just wanted to tack this on from later in the thread. This is how TOR's current restrictions would look if applied to Star Wars.

*I take you now to the famous Temple Slaughter scene from Ep. III. Anakin is boldly walking up the Jedi Temple stairs, flanked by an army of clone troopers. He approaches the door, reaches into his robes, pulls out his blue saber, and prepares to ignite it when...

... nothing happens?*

Clone trooper #1: Ruh-roh!

Clone trooper #3: He's got er... troubles 'getting it up,' I guess?

Clone trooper #1: Man, that's gotta create some tension in the sack with him and Padmomma or whatever.

Clone trooper #2: Hehe... be quiet, I want to hear this.

[Anakin COMM] Master, I have run into some issues.

*The clones snicker.*

[sidious COMM] What is it, my young apprentice? Are the Jedi dead? Is the temple aflame?

[Anakin COMM] No, master my... lightsaber won't turn on.

*More clone laughter.*

[sidious COMM] Oh, I forgot to tell you. You can't use that lightsaber anymore because you're a bad guy now. Big oopsies on my part. Come back to my office and I'll give you a red crystal.

*Anakin leaves in a huff.*

Clone trooper #1: Ciggy break! AFK!

Clone trooper #2: Hehe... stupid sith.

Clone trooper #3: Shut up, dude... any more darkside points and you won't be able to use that blaster anymore.

Edited by AJediKnight

...They are just crystals...colors, in fact only blue/red/green were the restricted ones...why does it matter? I seem to recall before, people complaining that there were restrictions.

Of course there were people complaining about restrictions. There are always people complaining about restricting this or that.

I think a lot of us had faith in BioWare to ignore those complaints because BW had done such a good job of interpreting and presenting the Star Wars Universe. I guess it's the fault of we the silent majority, who were happy with the restrictions, for not speaking up.

So that's why I'm speaking up now. I never dreamt BW would go through with it.

Keep in mind that these silly color restrictions affect non-force users too.

Why as a bounty hunter should I be forced to fire red bolts?

Oh, and the lore supports sith with green/blue sabers and jedi with red ones.

agreed on both parts, and the Colors weren't restricted in either KOTOR Game

Edited by Altyrell

Um, how would BioWare be changing something some people assumes is iconic to the Star Wars Universe when Exar Kun, Leia, Darth Krayt, etc all say otherwise and they weren't created by BioWare

This ^. People need to get over themselves and just let others have their fun by allowing players to create unique and interesting characters.

Color has-never-been-nor-will-it-ever-be restricted to morality. Lucas himself has confirmed that there is no direct link.

I'd very much like to see evidence of that.

I am happy about that lift. Want my bounty hunter to use red bolts, but obviously I can't at the moment because of the alignment. And I know people who play Sith characters on a light alignment but still want to use red sabres. The iconic Sith colour is red, after all. Why should they be forced to deal with Jedi-like crystals or grind to neutral or dark?

Colour restriction just isn't working in this area, especially for the non-Sith/Jedi classes. It's not like Leia was on the dark side when she used her pistol in the films, and neither was Han Solo or the rebel soldiers.

I am happy about that lift. Want my bounty hunter to use red bolts, but obviously I can't at the moment because of the alignment. And I know people who play Sith characters on a light alignment but still want to use red sabres. The iconic Sith colour is red, after all. Why should they be forced to deal with Jedi-like crystals or grind to neutral or dark?

Colour restriction just isn't working in this area, especially for the non-Sith/Jedi classes. It's not like Leia was on the dark side when she used her pistol in the films, and neither was Han Solo or the rebel soldiers.

Or the Imps who fired blue stun blasters.

i agree i thought a restriction would be a good idea until i was forced to wield a purple windu saber as a sith.

I want to use a red but can't because if i do im hurting myself pvp wise. I also don't want a black core saber, i just want a bloody red saber to use.

The simple fact of the matter is, there is no canonical basis or otherwise for the current crystal restrictions..

No canonical basis except for the actual look of the films... :rolleyes:

The exceptions in the lore were exceptions for dramatic effect; it's because the red vs. blue/green paradigm is so strong, that the exceptions stand out and made for cool characters. Mace Windu with his purple blade was the exception that made it interesting, and gave him character.

Without restrictions, nobody gets to be unique because no choices have consequences. For example, I have a Sith Marauder who was converted to the Revenite cause. He wields Red/Blue sabers. And I do this taking a stat hit to my Red crystal, which hasn't been upgraded since I went over Light I. Not many people are willing to take a stat hit in this game. That choice was mine, and because of that choice and that restriction, the combination of red/blue is pretty rare. There are a few other ways to do it, but again, it makes it more unique.

That is a good thing.

Without restrictions, nobody gets to be unique because no choices have consequences.

The consequences for the choices you make should be in-game story alterations... not some flimsy color restrictions that, again, are nowhere supported by the lore. Clearly, the weight of public opinion was on the side of ending this stupidity. Good guys won. Keep snarling about it. Once the restrictions are gone, they're never coming back.

Edited by AJediKnight

I will concede that I'd be less peeved about non-force users having the color restriction lifted.