Double Experience Weekend - What Happened?

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I know that there was definitely some unhappiness that came out of this past double XP weekend and I wanted to address a little bit about what happened, and we are doing about it. There are two main issues which plagued the weekend:

• In certain group compositions, no experience is granted during a Flashpoint.
  • The Kuat Drive Yards Flashpoint was awarding only normal experience for NPC kills, it was not being doubled.

Understandably, many players look to Flashpoints to level during our double XP weekends and so there is quite a bit of frustration that these bugs were present. Let's take them one at a time. The first bug, where no XP is being granted at all is something that we are aware of, and it will actually be fixed tomorrow in Game Update 2.6.2. The KDY issue, unfortunately, was only discovered after double XP went live and as such, there wasn't much that can be done.

Why not just cancel double XP until the issues are resolved?

I understand that if you intended to level through Flashpoints, this past weekend may not have been the best. However, there are many folks who were looking forward to the double XP weekend who level outside of Flashpoints and it would have been unfair to them to move the weekend out.

Why not just bring the servers down and fix these issues on Friday?

We would only do this in situations where there is a very critical issue present, such as a major exploit or an issue preventing players from playing at all.

What now?

I have spoken to the dev team and we are both in agreement that we should do another double XP weekend. Again, to readdress the issues from above, after tomorrow non-KDY Flashpoints should no longer have the issue where no experience will be awarded. As a note, I am still trying to get a timeline on when we would be able to address the KDY issue. Although it will be our goal to have both of these issues addressed before we have our next double XP, it is possible that KDY may not be addressed by then. However you will definitely be able to get double XP out of our other Flashpoints.

I know the big question right now is "when is the next double XP then?" I do not have that answer at this exact moment, but I am going to try to get that answer to you as soon as possible!

I apologize to those of you who were looking to "Flashpoint your face off" this weekend. We are going to work on getting you back into those Flashpoints with some double XP at your back soon™.

-eric

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for letting us know :D

I will be prepared and my fun this weekend wasn't cut short because of this bug.

I didn't level as much, as I could have, but the many queue pops were enough of a compensation to keep my leveling flow rolling.

Edited by Never_Hesitate

Thanks for the response Eric. I would guess many of us would prefer you to fix KDY and then do the double XP, rather than rush to provide a double XP weekend again without KDY. Certainly that would seem to be the feedback from this weekend anyway.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the information Eric, and for letting the players know what the situation was.

That being said, has there been any discussion with the dev team about allowing the players to have the option to turn off the XP gains for those who do not want to level so fast? It's disappointing to only have a limited time to play the game, and the time that one has then has to be spent not playing any way because one does not want to outlevel the content they are playing so quickly.

Thanks for the update.

A new Double XP weekend sometime soon sounds like the best way forward. But I think it's important to get the KDY fix in place first or else there'll be further disappointment (even if players are forewarned).

Thanks for the followup, Eric. While I wasn't planning on running KDY this past weekend, I am encouraged the fact that your trying to make it up to those who were. That said, count me in among those who think it would be good to fix KDY before doing the next double XP event.

There was, most likely, a critical issue not allowing groups to proceed past the invincible 2nd boss of NiM DF on the PTS:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729075

It's been around since Thursday, and I feel that the servers definitely should've come down. There's also a possibility that groups were missing mechanics, however BW did not respond.

Edited by bluengreen

Yeah It was a small let down but we did with it. Thanks for doing double XP wekends. Mostly my friends and I run thru a load of FPs and PvP during double XP weekends. We were still able to get some leveling done. :cool:

Eric Musco - We did notice on some FPs that it was trying to group players that were too high for the FP, causing no XP for the group.

btw we need cross server pvp ;)

Wow, dodged a bullet here when I decided to take part In ESO's last beta weekend...how many times does SWTOR need to fall apart? :confused:

I feel sorry for those who prepped for an actual double xp weekend and got whatever this was.