Solo Ranked Rating is Poorly Designed

Karimloo

I don't think when we had 8vs8 someone really asked for SR.

then you would be wrong. it was a very frequently mentioned request. and in retrospect, it was very similar to the complaints about ppl leaving early and back fill, which has resulted in the deserter debuff and sitting through 3x VS, followed by 3x HB, etc.

and the issue was that the actual ranked queue dried up (other than kick ball games) b/c only the very best (1 or 2) guilds were willing to queue.

8vs8 was what MMO gaming is all about, team work, fun and some what frustrating.

Also 8vs8 generated community work.

eh. TDM and Objective are both part of PVP and are both fun. why the latter was completely abandoned remains baffling. but the maps these days are worthless at this point anyway. maybe 7.0 pruning will help. I have zero faith in BW.

We had genuine competition with it, at least on TOFN. But by what I read even on the other servers it was more or less the same. I miss 8vs8 not little.

wouldn't know. not one of the 4 origin server chains I planted toons on.

Comparing the current Ranked class to what was 8 is like comparing candy to going eating in a five star restaurant with real food. We have just the candy in BW.

the only good 8v8 ranked was when most NA guilds transferred to pot5, which lasted all of about 3 weeks before BW killed the format.

SR is easier than TR. There are a few reasons SR is more popular than TR, but at the end of the day, there is one glaring reason: it's easier than TR. it's much easier for non-top tier players to get rating (i.e., me). and top tier players can still rise to the top.

Easier to play? Yes, to some degree. Though solo ranked takes a lot more adaptability than team ranked.

Mostly it's just easier to participate in because you don't need to gather a team, practice, schedule team ranked against other teams, or sit in queue for hours waiting for mat farmers or another real team to queue. There's little incentive to go through all that when the game mode has been essentially dead for a long time. I feel for people that really enjoy team ranked, but it is what it is.

As virtually all of the dedicated pvp crowd has shifted to Discord/Twitch from these forums over the past couple years, the audience here has gotten more and more niche (and not in a good way). I'm honestly amazed at your patience in engaging with some of the folks here, many of whom are playing pazaak without a full deck of cards.

Well, I think there's still some small value in posting actual ranked perspectives here, because if you look at the view counts, a lot of these threads do get hundreds, sometimes thousands of views. It would be a shame if all the misinformation didn't get corrected at all. Plus I still enjoy it :)

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Easier to play? Yes, to some degree. Though solo ranked takes a lot more adaptability than team ranked.

Mostly it's just easier to participate in because you don't need to gather a team, practice, schedule team ranked against other teams, or sit in queue for hours waiting for mat farmers or another real team to queue. There's little incentive to go through all that when the game mode has been essentially dead for a long time. I feel for people that really enjoy team ranked, but it is what it is.

it's easier. I wouldn't even be bronze if everyone were playing granked. in solos, I've had gold, tickled gold, and been all over the silver spectrum. look at it like this: the primary determiner of talent in SR is how heavy you can carry. what that also implies is that you're carrying players. all I have to do is not be a total disaster, and I'm going to go 2:1. that's guaranteed silver, no matter how bad your first 10 are (given you play enough games -- usually 30 wins for me but let's call it 50 wins).

that doesn't make it easier for you (aka: the guy doing the carrying). but the point is that it's easier to get a rating and as long as you're not totally hopeless, you aren't going to lose every game (this does not apply to healer and tank roles, however).

Why isn't it based on individual performance?

Sub 1k dps? Unranked. Sub 2.5k dps? Bronze. 5k dps in a match? Silver. 7k? Gold - Top 3.

Calculate total HPS, total DPS, Final blows, Survival, decorations, etc.

No. This will never work, because certain classes will always be focused down first, and no matter how good you are your stats will always be lower because of it. It would mean some classes would never rank up almost at all because of exactly this reason.

DPS and HPS isn't fair either because certain classes have self-healing while others dont, meaning self-healing classes would _always_ outperform in rating just because they have green buttons and for no other reason. This isn't skill this is difference in utility.

Instead of complaining about teammates, learn to help your teammates. If you see someone getting focused, help them by rooting and slowing chasers, taunting, healing, anything really. If it is the enemy that keeps getting away it's probably because their teammates is helping them, while you ignore your teammates.

There will always be bad players, in both teams. Such is the way of pvp games.

Edited by Kiesu

it's easier. I wouldn't even be bronze if everyone were playing granked. in solos, I've had gold, tickled gold, and been all over the silver spectrum. look at it like this: the primary determiner of talent in SR is how heavy you can carry. what that also implies is that you're carrying players. all I have to do is not be a total disaster, and I'm going to go 2:1. that's guaranteed silver, no matter how bad your first 10 are (given you play enough games -- usually 30 wins for me but let's call it 50 wins).

that doesn't make it easier for you (aka: the guy doing the carrying). but the point is that it's easier to get a rating and as long as you're not totally hopeless, you aren't going to lose every game (this does not apply to healer and tank roles, however).

I wonder how can you be so sure you can go 2 : 1 or 3:1 in order to climb with how random these pops are teams are .

I mean just 3 nights ago I played 14 games out of which I won 6 and lost 7 . 2 nights ago I had a 3 win 1 loss run and stopped due to being tired and then another night I could barely win games because I was constantly getting matched in weaker teams.

Maybe it's me, but without que management, you really cannot be sure 100% you climb so easily . Not to mention if you play something non meta.

Carrying depends also on what you actually play... and to a degree, how you play.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

• 3 weeks later...
Solo Ranked games are pure RNG this season. You can have the best comp and still lose because you have the worst players in queue on your team. Even if you're a good player you'll still lose because 9/10 those bad players will get tunneled first and die within the first 6 seconds of the game. Sure there are some games where you win because you're better than the enemy team via class or game knowledge; but 7/10 times you lose games because someone on your team just doesn't do anything. Edited by Xerekfell

Solo Ranked games are pure RNG this season. You can have the best comp and still lose because you have the worst players in queue on your team. Even if you're a good player you'll still lose because 9/10 those bad players will get tunneled first and die within the first 6 seconds of the game. Sure there are some games where you win because you're better than the enemy team via class or game knowledge; but 7/10 times you lose games because someone on your team just doesn't do anything.

Jesus please don't necro this garbage. If you're good your rating will go up eventually, and the more speedbumps (bots, throwers, queue sync, wintrading, comp wars, offguard, yadda yadda) will just increase the number of games it will take till it does. It would be nice if some of these issues were mitigated, but it isn't necessary for the viability of the mode. This is evidenced by the fact that everyone with thumbs can get silver easily, especially now that it's 1300 flat rather than 1350.

If you need more incentive not to revive this thread, let's examine these gems by the OP:

Not many players know to negate an IO Sticky Grenade burst with Scamper. Not many players read tooltips to understand White Damage vs Yellow Damage, and what DCD's protect against what. Not many players realize Obfuscate/Pacifies power, especially with utilities, etc.

Let us all bask in the epitome of skill, a man who rolls a telegraphed ability which is literally counted down on his debuff bar. A man with access to such forbidden knowledge that he can literally just read his own ability descriptions. A man who can select the correct utilities to use with his class (which, mind you, people argued for putting in as a requirement to queue alongside having a tactical item equipped).

Why isn't it based on individual performance?

Sub 1k dps? Unranked. Sub 2.5k dps? Bronze. 5k dps in a match? Silver. 7k? Gold - Top 3.

All hail the almighty Karimloo, doer of 7k dps. Call bioware and have his plat flair delivered as soon as possible. Like jesus if you were gonna have a dps cutoff for gold why wouldn't it at least be 5 digits?

Edited by cflems