Celebrating 10 Years and Looking Forward

JackieKo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy ten years! It is hard to believe that this game has been a part of my life for a decade now! <3

FYI: you have "Jedi Sage" and "Jedi Shadow" under the Sith Warrior category in the graphic from the article from Keith... just a heads-up.

• Dev Post

I cannot believe an entire year has passed since I was brought onto the team. I've learned a lot from everyone I've worked with and I've certainly learned quite a bit from all of you. Reading through the forums, various comments, chatting with the content creators, seeing players in game, reading chat during the streams, etc...I understand why this game means so much to you.

I appreciate the passion you bring to this community. I read your messages, your suggestions, your feedback, and I look forward to learning more about you all and to also share and celebrate what the team has been working on in due time.

For a bit of nostalgia/good feeling, could you share your favorite sentimental SWTOR moments with me? For me personally, I will never forget getting my lightsaber for the first time, spending WAY TOO much time riding around on a Tauntaun on Hoth, getting my first win in GSF (I wish you could have heard me cheering for joy), and placing my first deco in my Alderaan SH. I seriously can't get over how pretty that planet is.

I wish you all a happy anniversary and if you celebrate, a festive holiday season full of warmth, really good food, and good company.

Best,

Jackie

For a bit of nostalgia/good feeling, could you share your favorite sentimental SWTOR moments with me? For me personally, I will never forget getting my lightsaber for the first time, spending WAY TOO much time riding around on a Tauntaun on Hoth, getting my first win in GSF (I wish you could have heard me cheering for joy), and placing my first deco in my Alderaan SH. I seriously can't get over how pretty that planet is.

Hmm... In recent memory, I'd say, finally beating the Heroic Space Missions, Hitting Legend Rank for the PVE Space Rep, and getting all the codex entries for completing the Heroic Space Mission bonuses! I can only imagine what people at BWA were thinking when they saw that one player in Colorado was spending most of his days playing the space missions. :rak_05: And since I was re-recording the Trooper Story, and wanted my companions to have the Civilian Pilot outfits (One of two outfits that match Republic officer uniforms), I figured... why not! Yeah, I could have used the CE Republic officer outfit, and I did for my Trooper and the Havoc XO, but the rest got the CivIlan Pilot outfits!

Over the last 10 years? If it wasn't for TOR, I wouldn't have discovered my love for Video Editing and graduated from College with a degree in Video Editing. And for that alone, TOR will always have a special place in my heart, and it helped me become the person I am today!

*Sure, I missed out on that fifth Anniversary deco because I had to unsub for a week to pay for a class, and while I'm still a bit salty about that happening, in the grand scheme of things, it was worth it! :D

Edited by LtGeneralGezlin

I remember registering here as soon as I saw the announcement at E3 in 2008. This game was a must play and everyone in my Lord of the Rings Online kinship wanted to move here to play it. I was lucky enough to get selected for the closed beta in July 2011 and played on the Revan test server. I will never forget when I hit play the first time after creating my Jedi Sentinel. I loved every minute of my testing time and managed to play KOTOR between test phases so I could get more backstory. I've been here off and on since 2008 and have no plans of ever leaving entirely.

My two fondest memories are the following:

1)Getting farmed by the Imperials at the Republic base in Ilum. There's a plaque there now to commemorate our suffering while Imperial players farmed the turrets to build standing for PVP boxes.

2)We were in Eternity Vault and one of our healers started to fall when the platform collapsed during the Soa fight. I was on my Sorcerer at the time and managed to extricate her out of mid air. Voice chat went nuts and we went on to finish the fight.

For a bit of nostalgia/good feeling, could you share your favorite sentimental SWTOR moments with me?

The most profound emotional moment for me happened after my graphics card died.

My guild mates, the people who've stuck by me through all manner of changes, including when 30 of them back in the day followed me like I was Moses in the desert leading the people to the promised land—to another server because our old server was depopulating—suggested that I start a GoFundMe for a new graphics card.

Five hours later, my guildies had dropped enough money in that account that I could purchase an nVidia 1050 GTX TI.

Thinking back on that moment, I must have done something right somewhere, because that was whole lotta love coming from my guildies, and it's a profoundly humbling moment I'll never forget.

In April of this year, our guild held its 7th anniversary celebration, and we're getting better every day.

To everyone in There Is Only Peace and Empire's Destiny...

you people are the best, and here's to seven more years of great company, friends, and great times.

--Xor

Edited by xordevoreaux

Happy Anniversary everyone.

I cannot believe I am still here after 10 years considering I was not thrilled with SWG close but found myself learning to love SWTOR (still not a great fan of how decorating is done on SWTOR compared to SWG) but it is been great for the most part.

I got involved in a roleplay that was going on in the forums before the game launched and decided to become a member of the guild. It was fun and we still did our roleplaying on a private forum after they wiped the forums here. We enjoyed playing together but we did have a sad day about 4 years ago, when the original guild leader passed away due to injuries she sustained as a result of an accident and I took over as guild leader.

Though I have had some great memories as the game can be fun. Look forward (for the most part) to the future. Take care.

Edited by casirabit

For a bit of nostalgia/good feeling, could you share your favorite sentimental SWTOR moments with me?
Two things particularly come to mind for me.

The first is the day the climax of the Ziost storyline was released (on May 4th). After being left with a massive cliff-hanger, wondering how they were going to resolve the situation they were in, the final denouement was so unexpected! I thought it was wonderful! Of course, now I know what happens, repeating it in each character's story doesn't have quite the same effect, but I do still love watching the cutscene.

The second thing concerns a moment in the Inquisitor story. When designing my early toons' personalities and backstories, I had always attempted to make plausible Star Wars characters. Then I decided to make a lightside sorcerer. He was totally an exercise in self-indulgence and I didn't expect the story to support him in any way, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the choices offered to me in his class story were perfectly compatible with how I imagined him. His encounters with the Revanites and Kel'eth Ur inspired me to make him a historian (who was researching force-related history in the hope of finding a third way, that didn't involve the cruelty of the Sith or the asceticism of the Jedi). I had never completed the Inquisitor story on my previous sorc and hadn't met Talos, so I was absolutely delighted, when they finally met, to discover my historian with lightside values, who disliked violence, was going to have an archaeologist companion with lightside values, who disliked violence. They were a perfect match XD. It may seem like something very trivial, but it meant a lot to me. (And the department he went on to be put in charge of was also perfect for him. That self-indulgent 'spare' character went on to become my main because the continuing story accommodated him so well.)

Sentimental? Hmm. I guess I'm going to have to go for when Kylath (of the Argentis Legacy), variously "the Pure" or "Worm Food", but these days "Colonel", stood at a weird machine by a freshwater spring the the Endless Swamp.

She generally has problems with sticking with one lover, as Aric Jorgan found out to his cost somewhat later, but on this occasion, that cost accrued to both AJ and to a certain Republic spy best known for his large shoulders and his suspect parentage...

See, standing there, she looked at an unusually calm and disciplined Sith, variously called "Miss Spooky Eyes" or "Blondie", and something weird happened.

Interlude:

In July 2015, Mrs Cynic became the late Mrs Cynic(1), and at the beginning of August 2015, I went to Paris (an hour on the train, thanks) to see an old friend. We talked, and it turned out that in among some personal issues, including her father's cancer diagnosis(2), she had passed from straight relationships to same-sex relationships, which is relevant for Kylath.

(1) No, I don't really like saying that she died or passed away or whatever. Sue me.

(2) Lucky sod got off more lightly than Mrs Cynic, and survived.

Back to the main moment, where the relevance of the interlude becomes clear. Kylath looked at Blondie in the swamp, and SteveTheCynic looked long and hard at a [Flirt] option that popped up. She had, previously, flirted a bit with Blondie, but nothing really serious. (She chickened out of the final [Flirt] with Lemda Avesta, and chose Shoulder Boy when the critical choice came up in SoR.)

But my emotional storm about Mrs Cynic combined with my old friend's journey through Dark Places, and after that long and hard look, Kylath reached out and took control of my finger, and I pressed [Flirt], but it was a long and hard look at the options before it happened.

Thanks to the SWOTR writers for the opportunity for all that to happen.

The most profound emotional moment for me happened after my graphics card died.

My guild mates, the people who've stuck by me through all manner of changes, including when 30 of them back in the day followed me like I was Moses in the desert leading the people to the promised land—to another server because our old server was depopulating—suggested that I start a GoFundMe for a new graphics card.

Five hours later, my guildies had dropped enough money in that account that I could purchase an nVidia 1050 GTX TI.

Thinking back on that moment, I must have done something right somewhere, because that was whole lotta love coming from my guildies, and it's a profoundly humbling moment I'll never forget.

In April of this year, our guild held its 7th anniversary celebration, and we're getting better every day.

To everyone in There Is Only Peace and Empire's Destiny...

you people are the best, and here's to seven more years of great company, friends, and great times.

--Xor

Love this

As someone who has been and run a guild for 15 Years, moments like this have Happened and I have been apart of for others too, its magical,

I just love how in Keith's post not only are the Symbols (for Consular and Warrior) under the wrong advanced class - NO. Assassin and Sorcerer have their colors changed to their originals AFTER they got changed by a bug some while ago - as the only class. Like how do you even mess this up, this can't be some excuse about the game being old like some of the - actually pretty rare - bugs.

Don't get me wrong I love the changes for 7.0 but I just think you guys have 0 clue what so ever about the game anymore. Or did nobody ever look at that picture?

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of SWTOR and our one and only Keith Kanneg just published a letter to all of you which you can read here!

I've been here loyal since even BEFORE 2011, so yeah congrats on 10th , but so far , after reading that letter, i'm not impressed. I will maintain my hope (and my $ubscription) at least until after the 7.0 revamp goes 'live' though.

Personally & philosophically however, i strongly disagree with the upcoming changes, as well as being very disappointed in not only the direction BioWarEA seems to want to take this game, but also in the manner with which that direction/decision is being communicated (or lack thereof) .

But who knows, maybe all the skeptics & doomsayers will be proven wrong....in February. :cool:

Watching these: https://www.swtor.com/info/media?page=26 ....such potential this game had/has. :(

For me personally, I will never forget , getting my first win in GSF ( ,

If only the Developers had chosen to expand GSF (you know, cuz eh-hem it's STAR Wars & all ...sheesh) as well as revamp CRAFTING (rather than combat) , then maybe players like me who crave much more than Cartel Market re-skins, or cell-phone mini-games for hamster-wheel sheep, might just be happier for the *10th* . :sy_title:

Edited by Nee-Elder
admit it, this 10th anniversary is rather lackluster (so far) ... again: *10 YEARS* and what do we get?

Wow. Ten years. I've only been here for about half of that or less, but even so I've experienced so much. I feel almost on the verge of tears.

Thank you all for making this game and keeping it alive and growing. I just recently wrote about how I hope the team has a clear plan in mind for how everything turns out, so reading in Keith's letter that you do have a plan was really encouraging. I look forward to discovering it.

Here's to the next ten!

- First Inquisitor - headcanoning that she and Ashara were falling in love during her class story, and imagining their relationship.

- First Consular - roleplaying her taking Nadia to different worlds to teach her about the Force and being a Jedi.

- Knight, Warrior - letting them slowly run across the landcape during their class stories somehow helped me concentrate in studying for the bar exam.

- Second Consular, current main - a year and a half ago, deciding that Taris had become her home of sorts; more recently, her doing some soul searching in the lead-up to Echoes of Oblivion, and the last hour or so of EoO as well.

And not a moment but more generally, it means so much to me just how much this game has been there for me during some tough times in the last few years.

Honestly there are too many sentimental moments for me to count. This was my first MMO game and the one I always return to, no matter how many breaks I take. It really has been with me all throughout my formative years.

Some of my favourite moments involve playing through class stories for the first time - my main character is still the same Sorcerer I played back when f2p launched! The twists and turns in stories, opportunities for romance and adventure, it's all there.

I recently made a new Consular for the purpose of getting my last of two achievements on steam, but as the story went on I grew to love the character in a way I'd never imagined going into it. They're a healer and a diplomat, a lover and a fighter for what is right.

Getting to experience the universe of star wars to such an in depth level has been so satisfying and roleplaying as all manner of characters and genders has given me a safe place to retreat to and live another life.

Guilds are also full of sentimental moments - half of the name I now use for practically everything online came from a character I became known by in a guild. Though it might be a tad cliché, SWTOR is also all about the friends you make along the way.

At its heart, SWTOR is a living, breathing community with everything that brings.

Here's to 10 years of memories and joy in an otherwise trying time.

With a bit of luck, we'll soon be looking at the 20th anniversary! :D

"All of this leads me to giving you some insight into what’s going to happen after 7.0 launches. Legacy of the Sith is laying the groundwork for some exciting updates that will be made throughout the next year and beyond. While exact details are still under wraps, we do have a clear vision for the next few years and I’d like to share what our key focuses will be. They fall into two categories: Content and Modernization."

For all the people wondering if they were going to shutdown at some point can relax since it's clear swtor will be around for many years.

Oh, boy...I have so many good memories, I don't even know where to start. Somehow I always feel nostalgic, when I enter Kalikori village. The time, when I joined my first guild and we ran operations every Saturday. There are so many...But my favourite memory is when my fiancé showed me SWTOR, and that time I didn't know such a game exists, and I was mad at him that he didn't show me earlier. :D This game is everything I wanted, and as I wrote in the past, I always come back when I try another game, because this is the only MMO, which gives me what I need.

SWTOR gave me inspiration to continue writing my novels, even when I don't play, I just look at the character loading screen, because somehow it makes it more easier, and cozy. So I'd like to thank you for such a great story, and for the amazing game!

I see all the sales, but is there a reason why nothing about weapons or a weapons sale? I've been hoping the Czerka CZX-4 blaster pistol would finally show up, and I never get lucky.

How about an all weapons available to buy day?

My first paid work when I was probably 13 or 14 was writing a guide for this game on Dulfy for the Vigilance Guardian. It made me realize I wanted to work in the games industry, and many of the friends I met in this game I'm still friends with today, 10 years later.

Even though I don't play it much anymore (I quit when I went to college), it still holds a special place in my heart.

Happy 10th anniversary! Many thanks to the SWTOR team and to my fellow players for supporting the game. I still remember getting my first speeder on Tatooine after spending the first few planets on foot (with no sprint until Level 14)!

I chose Trooper as my first story because I was a big fan of Jennifer Hale's awesome voice work, and I loved it. Though I'll never forget how long it took me to get past the two commandos on the way to the final boss fight. The boss fight itself was a breeze for me compared to those commandos!

I have so many great memories of this game: playing all the class stories and expansions, trying the different romances, running flashpoints with my tiny guild, decorating my strongholds, getting my first MVP vote in PVP. I hope I'll be playing for many more years and building many more wonderful memories.