The Shadows Fall

Aurbere

Took a break for a while. If you want to refresh yourselves on what has happened so far, go ahead and read the previous chapters.

Chapter 9

Herald of Death- Command Center

Thrawn studied the holographic display of the space battle with deep concentration. Everything proceeded as planned. The reveal of two cloaked Executor-class Super Star Destroyers behind their lines had prompted the trio of Galactic Alliance fleets to scramble to engage these new ships. The Imperial fleet had closed the gap, engaging The Soldier's flagship at point-blank range.

Thrawn imagined the desperation that his foes must have been feeling. Their escape route had been cut off, and their attacks had not even brought down the Herald's shields. Their mission was an utter failure. Thrawn was tempted to command the fleet to let loose all batteries, but that would be in direct defiance of The Master's plan.

Thrawn opened a broadcast to the entire fleet. "All ships stand down. Allow them to escape." Thrawn's military training often conflicted with The Master's military strategies, but this strategy was most impressive, in accordance with The Master's grand strategy.

The creation of fear in the Alliance military was a critical move. Once the specifics of this battle spread throughout military ranks, morale would plummet. While the Alliance would not be as critically wounded as Thrawn would hope, the lack of morale in their men would more than make up for it.

The stealth-capable Super Star Destroyers made room for the Alliance ships to flee. The Imperials quickly followed. It was an impressive victory for Death's Embrace. Three dozen of The Master's ships defeated over one hundred enemy vessels. The enemy suffered over ninety percent casualties, in comparison to the thirty percent casualties of The Master's fleet.

Thrawn shut down the holoprojector and leaned back in his chair. Everything had happened as The Master had planned. But Thrawn knew that The Master had not planned the tactics of future engagements in the hopes that Thrawn's tactical mind could handle. He resolved not to disappoint him.

The Master's Will- Inner Sanctum

The Brain's Inner Sanctum was dark, cold. Flashing lights from computers dimly lit the walls. It was here that The Brain was the most connected to the vast intelligence network of The Watchers. Here he committed himself to his personal projects, like the interrogation of an Imperial Knight. Strobe lights from the ceiling focused on the Imperial Knight Captain that lay strapped to a torture rack. Several medical devices were connected to the Imperial to monitor his life signs. One device, a small implant, was connected to the back of his head, reaching into his brain. The Imperial had been stripped of his armor, down to his skin-tight suit. His body was heavily muscled, toned from years of intensive training.

The Brain could feel his strength in the Force. He was strong, but his power paled in comparison to The Brain's, and was insignificant next to The Master. But his strength in the Force allowed him to survive his battle with The Master.

The Brain placed a finger on the Imperial's forehead. He sent a jolt of Force lightning into him to wake him.

He awoke with a scream. "What's going on?" He struggled against his bindings. "Where am I?"

"Calm yourself." The Brain told him. "You have not been harmed yet."

The Imperial struggled again. "Who are you?"

"My current master calls me The Brain due to my vast intelligence." The Brain replied. He studied the life signs monitors. The Imperial's life signs were good, stressed, but that was normal. "My master also prefers torture to get the information he needs, but I have a different tactic."

He moved behind the Imperial to study the small device on his head. "I'll question you first."

"I won't answer any of your questions, no matter what you do!" The Imperial's gruff voice was defiant, strong.

"Then I will just use this-" The Brain tapped the implant. "to rip the information I want from you. I'll get what I want in the end."

The Brain's cybernetic implants linked with the device, giving him access to the Imperial's brain. Breaching his mind was easy, easier than using the Force. His entrance quickly rendered the Imperial unconcious.

His cybernetics quickly formed a profile of the Imperial.

Name: Kaedan J. Slyn

The Brain stopped the profile. This wasn't important to him. What he wanted was the security codes to enter the Emperor's Palace unhindered. He searched deeper, quickly finding the code.

Imperial Palace entry code: Fel-Solo

Imperial Command entry code: Sovereign

"Perfect!" He pulled from the link. He patted the unconcious Kaedan on the head. "Thank you for your cooperation."

Herald of Death- Medical Center

"Cut me as much as you want!" Kyp Durron said through clenched teeth. "I won't break." His arms were drenched in blood. Cuts from the serrated tools dug deep, tearing muscle tissue and ripping flesh.

The Master set the serrated tool down on the silver tray. "Sadly, I am inclined to believe you." The Master expected the Jedi to be delirious, but the Jedi remained strong willed. "You Jedi are remarkably difficult to break. At least Skywalker did something right."

The Master waved his hand, sending Kyp into unconciousness. "Perhaps a new strategy." Physical torture was not sufficient. Mental torture, Torture by Chagrin, was necessary. "At least the experiment on Durron was telling of Jedi fortitude." He placed a clawed hand on Kyp's head. He called on the Force, imprinting a message on the Jedi's brain. "I'll send you back to the Jedi with this message."

The Master retracted his hand and waved it at the medical droid, forcefully reactivating it.

"My lord?" The droid promptly responded. "Do you require my assistance?"

"Patch this man up, and prepare him for transport back to Coruscant." The Master paused. "And if her body is still here, prepare Jedi Sebatyne's body for transport as well."

"Yes, my lord."

The Master turned left and walked to the door. He opened it with the Force. He turned back. "Keep the Jedi Solo sedated for now, I have other business to attend to."

I've been in College studying computer programming and I wanted to bring that into the story during the interrogation of Kaedan. I was originally hoping to do something like using pseudocode for the profiling segment, but that didn't sound like it would work out. So maybe I'll use it later, and explain why when it shows up.

Edited by Aurbere

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 10

Herald of Death- Cell Block 193- Cell 13

Jadec Nellis sat in the cold confines of Cell 13. Like the other cells that he's been in, this one was small, uncomfortable, and smelled like a dead Womp Rat. He didn't know why this 'Master' kept him here. They hadn't told him why they kept him here, the Chiss that had talked to him said that The Master wanted to talk to him.

Jadec wasn't a genius, but he knew why. The Master was The Harbinger's father, and she told him enough about him for Jadec to know she did not get her pleasantness from him... or her looks. Being alone in this cell made him miss her even more every minute.

Normally he was aloof, but she made him feel things that he never felt before. Her death saddened him. He'd seen death before, alot of it, but this was different. She meant something to him. There was something between them, but now there was nothing. Only memories.

The door to his cell opened revealing a dark, armored figure. A fire blazed in the eye holes of the silver mask that adorned the shadowy figure. The cell lights flickered as the figure entered the cell. Jadec felt a chill run up his spine. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up. He felt a lump form in his throat, making swallowing very difficult. Not that it mattered, his mouth had quickly dried up.

Jadec felt like he was looking at the face of fear itself, as if the very concept of death stood in front of him, prepared to harvest his soul. He knew exactly who he was looking at- The Master.

The Master raised an outstretched arm. Dark tendrils shot out of his claw-like hands. The tendrils stopped at the center of the cell, making a steep decline to the floor. A shadow rose up from the floor, forming into a solid object- a chair made of durasteel.

The Master sat down in the chair. "You knew my daughter?"

Jadec tried to speak, tried to force the words 'yes' out, but his body felt like it was out of his control.

"Your silence is only natural." The Master said. "But I'll take that as a yes." He paused for a moment. "What is your profession?"

Jadec finally got up the courage to speak. "I'm a..."

The Master raised a hand to cut him off. "It matters not." He dropped his hand. "Jaina Solo killed two of my students and my daughter. How did you survive?"

Jadec finally swallowed the lump in his throat. He felt the effects of The Master's presence begin to fade away. "The Jedi took me captive." He knew it wasn't the whole truth. And he knew The Master knew it.

The Master made a noise, what would be considered a sigh. "I suppose they did. I have a task for you to perform."

"What kind of task?"

"A simple visit to the Galactic Alliance Chief of State. The specifics will be made known to you on my shuttle." The Master stood up, the chair vanishing from sight as he did so. "You're free to go." He said suggestively before he exited the cell.

Jadec stood up, straightened his pilot's uniform, and headed for the cell door. "Why do I keep getting into these kinds of situations?"

Herald of Death- Main Cannon Control Center

The Master studied the massive deployable cannon at the heart of his flagship. The massive cannon spanned the entire width of the ship. Kuat Engineers had designed the cannon to be risen up on an elevator and elevated above the surface of the ship.

The cannon relied on the recycled scraps of destroyed ships for firing ammunition. The cannon fired the massive rounds with enough force to crack a planet in half.

The Master turned his gaze to the engineers that studied the various computers and monitors that kept the cannon's systems in check. "Engineer Chief." The Master called out.

A bald-headed man looked up from his computer and quickly scrambled to stand before him. "Yes, my lord?"

The Master took a quick glance at the cannon, its form lit up by several strobe lights. "We will arrive at Frozen Naboo shortly. I want this cannon fully operational when we arrive."

The Engineer stammered. "My lord. It is unlikely that it will be fully functional when we arrive at Naboo." He caught The Master's eyes, despite his best efforts to avoid eye contact. "But I'm sure we can get it ready for you, my lord."

The Master despised the man's incompetence. He was a pathetic man. Brilliant, but pathetic. At least he could serve some purpose, but that could only last for so long. "See that you do."

Edited by Aurbere

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for such a long wait. If you need to, read the previous chapters to appraise yourself of the situation.

Happy reading! :)

Chapter 11

Naboo Orbit- Herald of Death- Bridge

The Galactic Alliance fleet task with the protection of the frozen iceball that was Naboo fled the system as soon as The Master's flagship came out of hyperspace. They must have believed that they did not have the firepower to stop him. He did not blame them. News of his most recent victory stirred the Alliance military.

The Master studied the frozen marble before him. As expected, Naboo remained frozen, the Judgment's Lance's superweapon test was a success. The planet's grassy plains were eradicated by the sub-zero temperatures, its cities and people frozen in time. An unintended side effect was the destruction of the Gungan populace.

Not that it mattered. The Master had come back to finish the job.

"You understand that the destruction of this world will cause your plan to seduce the people to your side will fail?" A voice behind him asked. He recognized the voice. His daughter's spirit had returned, her luminous form casting back the darkness that surrounded him. She stood next to him. "Father?"

The Master kept his gaze focused on the planet. "The plan has already succeeded." The Master coldly replied. "The people are already on my side. I have planted the seeds of resistance and obedience in their minds. They will make excuses for my actions."

"What excuse could be made for the destruction of a peaceful world like Naboo?" The Harbinger questioned him, her anger made evident in her voice.

"Cleverly crafted images of the Alliance destroying a world presumed to be my headquarters have become publicly known." The Master responded. "People will believe anything. Subtle nudges and the fabrication of Alliance crimes makes me someone they can rally behind. They will believe this to be simple retaliation."

"But it's not retaliation!" She positioned herself in front of him. "This is not right!"

The Master moved his hand around her face, imitating the motions of caressing her cheeks. "Child. We crossed the line between right and wrong a long time ago." He retracted his hand. "This is simply the game called 'war.'"

She passed through him, and sat down in The Master's new chair, hovering slightly. "So that's your justification..." She said, sadness creeping into her voice.

The Master did not turn. "I justify nothing."

"You're lying."

"Indeed." The Master chuckled. "You're innocence remains intact. Perhaps you shouldn't have disregarded The Historian's teachings."

"What is that suppose to mean?"

"That you have not learned that war is death. And I am its master." The Master chided her. "Only by being put through the fires of war can the galaxy truly be saved. I will tear away the weakness in this galaxy and rebuild it stronger than ever before." The feelings of triumph rose within him. "It will be glorious."

"You'll understand your failings soon, father." The Harbinger replied. She saw how pointless trying to stop him was. She stood up out of the chair. "Goodbye, father." She said as her spirit vanished, the light she cast taken by the darkness.

The Master felt a hint of sadness. "Until we meet again, child." He fell back into his chair as the holocommunicator flickered to life.

The hazy, blue image of Thrawn appeared. "My lord, the shuttle carrying Kyp Durron and the Barabel has departed for Coruscant." The Admiral's voice cracked as the image flickered on and off. "But your personal shuttle has also departed."

"Yes, I know. You need not know the details."

"I- yes, my lord." He was prompted to press The Master for details, but stopped short. "The main cannon is ready to fire, as well my lord."

Some results from that pathetic man at engineering at last. "Excellent. You may fire when ready."

"As you wish, my lord." Thrawn's image retracted into the projector.

The Master leaned forward, watching his masterpiece unfold before him. The mighty cannon rose up from the ship's centerpoint. As the cannon reached its height, it began charging. The buildup of energy caused the cannon to pulse a bright red. The glow steadily increased to a blinding red light. The light suddenly faded.

The Master thought something was wrong, but his fears were quickly alleviated when the weapon discharged a massive projectile of high-yield baradium encased in recycled ship scrap. The projectile hurtled towards the frozen marble, falling at speeds that defied its size.

Only seconds passed from the moment the cannon fired to Naboo's destruction. There was no massive explosion, no flash of light. The planet simply cracked, splitting apart four ways.

The Master leaned back in his chair. "Impressive." The applications for this weapon varied, but he felt that it served his purposes best as a method to induce fear. The Master found the Tarkin Doctrine to be a useful method, but he would not adhere to it when he took the seat of power.

This weapon was powerful, but its uses were limited. In the end, it was simply a tool to spread fear. Naboo's destruction was just another method to induce fear in the hearts of those who would resist him.

With this move, the final game of dejarik began.

Defender Cockpit- En Route to Coruscant

Jadec held the small black box in his hand. It was modestly decorated with only a few white symbols on its sides. He assumed they had some sort of cultural significance to someone, but to him they were little more than decoration. He fumbled with the box, looking for a way to open it.

Before he departed The Master's ship, The Master's personal bodyguard, a horrible looking wretch, gave the box and a holocommunicator with a message on it. He put the box down on the dash next to the holo.

"Alright, let's see what you have to say." He said to himself as he activated the communicator.

The small, hazy blue image of The Master appeared above the small device. The cockpit lights flickered at his presence, the light they cast dimmed. "This message is intended to inform you of the contents of the box that was given to you." He paused for a moment, reaching a hand out of view. Jadec saw a small cylinder in The Master's hand as it returned. "This cylinder is Jaina Solo's repurposed lightsaber. It has been redesigned as a messenger. You are to deliver the device to the Office of the Chief of State in an unspoiled condition."

The Master paused again, possibly letting the message sink in. "Do not open the box under any circumstances."

"I get it!" Jadec mumbled to himself as he shut the device down. Fortunately it was only a playback of a message. He didn't want to get on The Master's bad side. Just sitting in the same room with him had made him feel sick.

"Let's just get this over with." He said to himself.

I think I talk to myself too much...

The Unstoppable- Communications Center

"Naboo is gone." The Soldier announced to the holographic images of his comrades. "The war truly begins now."

The Guardian shifted in her chair. "Indeed. We all have our orders?" She adjusted one of her headtails.

"Correct." The Soldier responded. "My forces shall regroup with a contingent of Mandalorians and attack Taris. Lore-master and The Guardian shall collect the bulk of our Collicoid droid forces from Colla IV and attack Neimoidia and her purseworlds. Brain and The Beastmaster shall attack Carida"

"And what of The Master?" The Beastmaster asked. A small, deformed creature sat curled up on her lap as she stroked its scaly hide. "What will he be doing?"

"He will be taking the majority of the Chiss Navy to attack the Hapes Consortium." The Soldier replied, not hiding his dismay.

"Why?" The Guardian asked. She, too, disapproved of The Master's course of action.

"The Thrawn clone did not provide me with an adequate answer." The Soldier answered.

"It is likely that he will attempt to cut off the Galactic Alliance from one of their closest, and largest, allies." The Brain chimed in.

The Soldier pondered the benefits of the attack. "Eliminating the Hapes Consortium will make further attacks easier, but he leaves us to make strikes near the Core Worlds. I do not wholly agree with this plan."

"I doubt any of us do." The Guardian said as she stood up from her chair.

"I do." The Beastmaster announced. "The Alliance has been wounded by the last battle. They will need the aid of the Hapan Navy. The Master made a brilliant tactical decision."

After several centuries of putting up with The Beastmaster's devotion to The Master, The Soldier's patience was near the breaking point. "Enough. We cannot change the plan, we can only follow orders." The Soldier angrily said as he cut the transmission.

"For now."

Edited by Aurbere

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 12

Coruscant- Senate Building- Chief of State's Office

Chief of State Dorvan sat down at his desk. He waved his hand to calm the chattering media persons that were waiting for him to address them and, by extension, the people of the galaxy.

He knew the questions he faced. Political scandals, faulty military movements, Naboo's loss, and other difficult questions would be asked. He didn't have answers, best he could do was be honest.

"Would anyone like to ask the first question?" Wynn asked, his voice calm and low.

A green-skinned Twi'lek woman shuffled forward, her sparkling blue dress dragging on the freshly cleaned carpet. "Chief of State Dorvan, do you feel that the recent Hutt Cartel raids on Alliance supply convoys points to an alliance between them and the Enemy?"

Dorvan hesitated. He didn't expect this question. "No. Hutts can be opportunistic. Supreme Commander Antilles believes that the Hutt Cartel is simply taking advantage of the war." He paused for a moment, rearranging the untidy papers on his desk. "But I assure you that we will respond to the Hutts in force, however, we have a greater foe to defeat first. Further questions, ma'am?"

A blue and red-skinned Togruta behind her handed the Twi'lek a datapad. She tabbed a few keys to bring up an image of an Alliance fleet barraging a desolate world. "How do you explain the bombardment of this planet?"

Wynn hesitated again, he wiped his brow. He knew this question was coming. He knew that the image wasn't real, but he also knew that his credibility on the matter waned. "Let me be clear: those images are not real. I would never condone such an action. The Alliance military has not committed such an act."

"Of course. We know that you would never order that kind of attack, but what about a rogue element?" The Togruta aide asked. "We know that morale is low, maybe a military element went rogue?"

Wynn Dorvan regained his composure. "I understand that there are questions, but first you need to ask yourselves what the source of that image is. Who sent it?"

The Twi'lek reporter returned the datapad to the Togruta aide. "You think someone is framing you?"

"Yes." The Chief of State sighed. "But I think that will be enough questions for now."

The media personnel murmured their displeasure, but they shuffled out of the office.

Hapes- Fountain Palace Garden Courtyard

Leia Organa Solo found Queen Mother Tenel Ka sitting on a stone bench in the Garden Courtyard of the Fountain Palace. The grand courtyard was lined with columns and pillars that held up overlooking balconies. The courtyard itself had no roof, allowing the many plants and flowers of vibrant colors to bathe in sunlight.

But as much as Leia wanted to admire the beautiful flowers she had more important issues to deal with. She approached the white stone bench that Tenel Ka sat upon. "We have to go." She said to her as she sat down next to her.

Tenel Ka nodded. "I know. The perimeter defenses have detected The Master's flagship entering Consortium space." She turned to face Leia. "But I can't abandon my people."

Leia understood Tenel's position all too well. As Princess of Alderaan, Rebel Alliance leader, and former Chief of State, she knew all too well how difficult these decisions were, and how painful it was to leave innocent people behind. "I understand."

"We only have two choices: run away, or fight to the last." Tenel Ka stood up. "And I will not run away." Tenel Ka headed for the Garden exit. "Evacuate as many people as you can, Leia. He is closing in." She knelt down next to a withered plant. "Even the flowers are affected."

Leia wanted to stop her, but she knew that she couldn't. "I'll contact the Alliance for reinforcements."

"Thank you, Leia." She responded, the full weight of the situation carried in her voice. "The Consortium will bring everything to bear on The Master. Every ship, and every soldier will fight."

Leia stood up now. She hoped that they could stop The Master here.

The Herald of Death- Medical Center

The Master entered the Herald's medical center to check on Jaina Solo. He found her still strapped to a table, asleep. The reprogrammed 2-1B medical droid studied the life signs monitor next to her.

"How is she?" The Master asked.

The droid did not move. "Resting comfortably, sir. She is heavily sedated." The droid then turned to focus its photoreceptors on the Jedi. "A bacta tank would have been more efficient in healing her wounds."

The Master brushed the droid aside. He ran a metal talon across her forehead. "I don't want her to be healed. Not fully. I have a schedule to maintain." The holocommunicator attached to the wall next to the entrance beeped and flared to life, projecting Thrawn's hazy blue image. "Speaking of..."

"My lord. We have entered Hapes space, and we are approaching the capital world."

The Master approached the holo image. "Excellent. Keep the Chiss Warships behind the the flagship, and prepare for battle."

"Yes, my lord." Thrawn responded as the image evaporated.

The Evolution of Warfare- Bridge- Carida System

The Beastmaster held the small creature in her hands. She stared into its beady yellow eyes. It stayed perfectly still, unmoving as she studied what she had created.

It used to be a Horranth infant. Vermin at best, but she transformed it into a tool for warfare. Its back had swelled to nearly double the creature's size. The swollen area was filled with a volatile liquid that melted anything it touched. At her command, the creature would detonate, splashing the liquid around it. A dangerous tool, but cannon fodder at best. Their main purpose was disorientation and distraction. If the distraction failed, then enemy troops would be caught in the beast's explosion.

Her ship was aptly named, for she believed that her monsters truly were the evolution of warfare. Her beasts were nearly unstoppable, and could destroy an army with ease. Centuries ago she participated in mock skirmishes with her fellow Watchers. Even the tactical genius of The Master could not save him from her beasts.

The Galactic Alliance had already fallen prey to her monsters. Now she would unleash them again.

Her ship, The Brain's flagship, and fifteen Chiss Warships entered Carida space. Their invasion was delayed by an Alliance fleet presence of thirty ships. A trio of Mediator- class battleships flanked by several Imperial- class Star Destroyers. They were in a wedge formation, the Mediators positioned so their sturdy shields would take the brunt of the fire.

Both fleets moved into firing range with weapons armed and shields at full strength. The Brain directed the fleet movements, positioning the fleet to mimic the Alliance's fleet formation.

The holo terminal beside The Beastmaster flared to life, projecting The Brain's hazy image. "Take your flagship up the middle and release your pets."

Despite her army's capabilities, she was not a military tactician. That is why she needed The Brain here. While simple overwhelming firepower would suffice here, she lacked the tactical prowess to outwit and outmaneuver her foes. "Understood." She responded. She waved a hand to shut down the communicator.

Her flagship moved forward, its weapon power diverted to shield strength. The red and blue plasma and ionized rounds fired from the enemy ships blotched and dissipated when they hit the ship's shields. Enemy fire began to concentrate on her flagship. Missiles, ion barrages, and turbolaser blasts bombarded her ship. Her ships shields could withstand the ion and turbolaser blasts, but the missiles flew straight through the shields and impacted the ship's hull.

The Beastmaster could feel their fear. They did not know what she was planning, but they feared it all the same.

Her ship's flight trajectory took it under the enemy fleet, the bridge just barely missing the underbelly of the foremost Mediator.

She commanded the helmsman to release the transport pods with a wave of her hand.

Hatches opened on the port and starboard sides of the ship. After a small puff of fire, the transport pods launched, a single pod for each ship. Like a shooting star, the pods rocketed through space, the pronged end digging into the hull of enemy vessels.

She could imagine what was happening now. Mutated Horranths and Frogdogs would swarm, killing all in their path, while swarms of tiny insects would crawl into the tiniest of crevices and tear the ships' systems apart from the inside.

The Master's Will- Bridge- Carida System

The Brain watched The Beastmaster's beast carrying pods dig into the enemy ships. He knew that her part in this would be carried out with little effort, but he was having difficulty. The strength of the Chiss Navy was overestimated. They were not as powerful as the Alliance ships. Already he had lost half of the Chiss Warships to enemy fire, their remains pulled in by Carida's gravity and sent hurtling to the planet's surface.

But now that The Beastmaster was sufficiently distracting them with her monsters, the Alliance fleet was all but defeated.

"Cease fire." He commanded over the comm.

He used his cybernetics to hack into the security systems of the enemy fleet to hijack their security cameras. He linked each of the remaining ships to his cybernetics to allow the ship crews to watch as the Alliance was dismantled by monsters.

The footage was displayed on a large screen at the bridge's helm. The Brain watched as three soldiers fired at something off screen as they backed away slowly. Their target came on screen. It was a large mutated Tauntaun. Its underbelly was covered in hardened scales, and its arms ended in large claws perfect for tearing apart prey. Its mandibles were widened like an insect's.

It opened its mandibles and sprayed something at the three soldiers. The soldiers dropped there weapons and began writhing in pain, clawing at their suits, which quickly melted away. Their skin followed, then their muscle tissue and organs, and finally their bones.

The Tauntaun continued forward off screen.

The Brain assumed that something similar was happening on every enemy ship. His assumptions were proved correct when he noticed that the Alliance fleet had stopped firing.

Once again The Beastmaster proved that her beasts were nigh unstoppable. The Alliance fleet had been shut down. He would dispatch a droid crew to take control of the ships and prepare them for service to The Master. The insects that has dismantled the ship would help in repairing the damaged vessels.

With the Alliance fleet dismantled, it was now time to begin the invasion of Carida.

Edited by Aurbere

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. To make up for it, here is possibly the longest chapter yet.

Enjoy! :)

Chapter 13

Taris Orbit- The Unstoppable- Bridge

"You have received the information, then?" The Lore-master asked, her holographic image sputtered.

The Soldier studied the peculiar crystal in his hand. When he had opened the box The Lore-master had sent it in, the crystal was transparently white. Yet now it glowed red at his touch. It thrummed with energy like a heartbeat. "Yes, I have studied it, but what is it?"

The Lore-master picked up a textbook out-of-view, and flipped through the pages before planting her long index finger on a middle page. “It’s a rare crystal that acts as a conduit for the Force. This text suggests that it purifies the energy put into it.”

The Soldier stroked his chin. “And what good is that?”

“I experimented with the crystal. It appears that when someone pours Force energy into the crystal, it purifies the energy and releases it. Which means if you were to use it, the crystal would unleash pure dark side energy-“

“And if a Jedi used it, the crystal would release pure light side energy!” The Soldier finished.

“Which is the only thing that can kill him. My intelligence network indicates that one Luke Skywalker is on his way to Hapes to aid the Consortium in its defense.”

“So I will have to aid Luke Skywalker, as much as it disgusts me.” The Soldier hated Jedi, but he hated The Master more. The Master had trained him, but he never gave The Soldier the respect he deserved, and treated him like a child. His hatred had been manifesting over centuries. After five decades of training, The Soldier had mastered fully all that The Master taught him. He recalled his final test, a single duel between them. It was a chance for The Soldier to finally show The Master that his training was complete…

It was over nine hundred years ago. Darkness had fallen on the great Iron Citadel of Koros Major. The sun had set on the Citadel. Within the darkened fortress The Soldier waited for his master within the Grand Chamber. Dozens of artifacts sat on pedestals along the walls. The walls themselves were lined with paintings and artwork depicting The Master’s victory over the Brotherhood of Darkness, and his victories over intergalactic invaders and other foes of The Watchers.

The Soldier stood in the center of this chamber, gathering his energies in preparation for the contest that would take place between them. Decades of training had led up to this moment, this battle. He was nervous. His armor felt like it was constricting his body. He quickly calmed himself. No mistakes could be made here.

The door to the stairwell leading to The Master’s private chamber opened as the man entered the Grand Chamber. His black robes almost completely concealed him if not for the wall-mounted candles casting their glow.

The Master approached him. “Soldier.” The Master greeted him.

The Soldier didn’t respond. He only greeted his master with a nod.

“You think you are prepared for your final test?” The Master’s teaching voice. He was concerned. “I do not believe you are ready.”

The Soldier pulled back his hood. His hair was thinning, and his skin was going pale, a product of his dark side corruption. “Let me show you what I have learned.” He pulled his cape off his armor and tossed the cloth aside.

The Master shed his robe. “Very well.” The Master quickly pulled his elegantly fashioned lightsaber off his belt. He activated it and took up the standard Makashi stance.

The Soldier followed suit, activating his own and taking up a Djem So stance.

The Master’s green blade and The Soldier’s red blade reflected in his armor, casting a dim glow on him.

The Master’s blade was green malice, striking with unmatched speed. A quick stab for The Soldier’s abdomen nearly ended their duel before it began if not for an instinctive block, shunting the green blade aside. The Master retreated back into a defensive stance.

The Soldier knew that at this moment the real test began.

The Soldier lunged forward, bringing his blade down in a bone-crushing slam. The Master fell back, his blade up to intercept the blow.

The Master made a quick riposte, slipping himself and his blade out from under The Soldier’s weapon, and swiped at his legs. The Soldier quickly jumped over the attack, and used the momentum of his descent to make another bone-crushing slam.

The Master spun away to the right, hoping to use his superior mobility to his advantage. But The Soldier wasn’t as slow as The Master thought he was. He quickly pivoted on his heel, and with a powerful bellow slammed his lightsaber into The Master’s blade, knocking it from his hands.

The Master followed the momentum of the blow, letting the attack knock him back several meters. He recovered from the attack quickly, and called his lightsaber back to him. “Good.” The Master said, almost mocking him, as if he had expected the attack. “Enough games!” He said as he activated his blade again.

The Master leapt at him. He landed and quickly stabbed at The Soldier. The Soldier batted the attack away. The Master followed the motion through, spinning his body around and attacking from The Soldier’s right flank.

The Soldier stepped back away from the attack, but The Master’s blade scraped his abdomen, eliciting a growl of pain from The Soldier.

“Keep your guard up, boy!” The Master ordered, still acting as if he had anything to teach him.

The Soldier growled again, and charged. He attacked with mindless fury, swinging his blade with reckless abandon, he followed the motions, spinning with each attack.

The brute force of the attacks caught The Master off guard. Each strike felt like he was being crushed by a building.

The Soldier swung his blade low. As he had expected, The Master jumped, and The Soldier took advantage of The Master’s vulnerable position and delivered a force-enhanced kick, sending The Master flying into the steel doors of The Master’s private chambers.

The impact rattled the doors, and drove the wind out of The Master’s chest. The Master landed on one knee and let out a hard cough.

The Soldier rushed forward, used the Force to disarm The Master, and pointed his lightsaber at him. “You have nothing left to teach me,” he said, breathing heavily. “And now you are no longer the master.”

The Master laughed softly, a small chuckle interrupted by a cough. “You have much to learn, young one.” He lifted his head up and raised his hands. Forks of blue lightning crackled forth, knocking The Soldier’s lightsaber out of his hands, and catching him in a cage of energy. The Master’s attack catapulted The Soldier to the center of the chamber.

“You have yet to learn the single reality of being a Watcher.” The Master said, his voice booming in the large chamber. “I am The Master, and you will always be the learner.”

He had won their duel. He had passed the final test, but it wasn’t enough. The Master couldn’t handle defeat in pure lightsaber combat. And ever since that day, The Soldier had been forced to remain a servant, an underling.

It’s disgusting! I deserve more!

“Soldier?”

The Lore-master’s voice brought him back to reality. He cast the vision of the past from his mind.

“If I may, Soldier, why do this now?” She asked with utmost respect in her voice.

With good reason. The Soldier thought. “If this crystal does what you say it does then this may be our only chance. What are the odds that myself, Luke Skywalker, and The Master will be in one place at the same time?”

The question was rhetorical, and The Lore-master knew it. “Very well. Good luck.” Her image faded away.

The Soldier placed the crystal in a pocket in his black cape, and then tabbed a button to switch com frequencies to the lead Mandalorian battleship. The Mandalorian Commander’s blue image appeared.

"Commander, take your forces and conquer this world. Create a foothold for our forces."

The armored commander saluted by hitting his chest with his fist. "Yes, my lord." The image fizzled away.

The Soldier waved the helmsman over. He inhaled deeply, trying to calm his nerves. "It's time."

"You know what to do, helmsman."

The Herald of Death- Bridge

The Master sat down in his hoverchair. He looked out into space, at his target: Hapes. His fleet had progressed into the Consortium unhindered by the Hapan Battle Fleet, but now he knew why.

The Hapan Battle Fleet in its entirety was waiting for him. A massive fleet of hundreds of vessels had the planet surrounded, prepared to defend it to the last ship.

Smart move, Tenel Ka. If you want to die this way, then I shall walk you to the door.

The Master activated his chair’s holocommunicator, and established a link with Thrawn’s chair. “Admiral.” The Master regarded him.

“My lord. The Hapan Fleet is moving into firing range.” Thrawn said as he pressed a button out of view. “Their projected course will have them surround us.”

The Master turned his gaze back to the enemy. “Ah, I see.” Thrawn was right, the Hapan fleet was moving closer. “Position your Warships to the rear of this flagship to prevent a full surround.”

The fleet moved closer with each passing moment. They were within the range of their long-range turbolasers, but they continued to close. The strategy was obvious.

“Be prepared for anything. I will be in the Medical Center. Keep me informed of the situation.” The Master stood up from the chair, cutting the transmission as he did.

Entering the Carida system- The Mon Remodia- Bridge

The experimental new Viscount-class Mon Calamari cruiser Mon Remodia had survived the Dac disaster, and served as the new flagship of the First Defense Fleet. The ship possessed enhanced weaponry, more cannons, and stronger shields than the standard Viscount-class.

Kyle Katarn was still recovering from the Csilla battle, but he had chosen to lead the counter-attack on Carida. His leg still hurt at times, but he had been through worse. And the Galactic Alliance would need every able-bodied man it could get to fight The Master.

The Galactic Alliance had recovered from the shell-shock of losing over one hundred ships in a single battle, and was making a counter-attack. The size and scope of the Alliance Defense Force would serve it well in countering the tide of darkness.

Four separate counter-attacks were being launched, and Kyle had chosen to take the First Fleet to Carida.

The First Fleet warped out of hyperspace.

“Master Katarn, two Super Star Destroyer class ships, and over half a dozen Chiss Warships are in orbit of the planet.” The Captain of the Mon Remodia, a Mon Calamarian with red-hued skin and an abnormally large head, told him in the gravelly voice characteristic of the species. “Orders, sir?”

Katarn examined the Super Star Destroyers. One of them was an Executor Star Destroyer, the other was a ship design he had never seen before. It was of robust design, with its bow split like a bird of prey’s beak would be.

“Move into firing range.”

Carida Orbit- The Master’s Will- Bridge

The Brain studied the approaching Galactic Alliance fleet. Their quick response was unexpected. They had not even begun landing ground troops on the planet. The arrival of this fleet was most unexpected.

The robust holoprojector next to him beeped and projected The Soldier’s hazy, blue hologram.

“Soldier, an enemy fleet has arrived to prevent the invasion.” The Brain informed him. “Victory is statistically unlikely.”

The Brain could sense The Soldier’s unease. “Understood. We’re cutting loose ends. After your finished, rendezvous with my forces above Taris.”

The Brain nodded, fully understanding what he had to do. Cut loose ends. The Soldier’s image evaporated.

The Brain activated his cybernetics and commanded his vessel to fire.

Carida Orbit- Mon Remodia- Bridge

The First Fleet had just entered firing range when Kyle Katarn saw something that caught him completely off guard. The odd looking Super Star Destroyer fired a volley of laser blasts at the bridge of the Executor-class Destroyer before fleeing the system with the rest of the Chiss ships.

“Well, look at that.” The possibilities rushed into Kyle’s mind. What was the cause of this? Is The Master’s armada coming apart? “Hold fire.” He commanded.

Answers may lie on that disabled ship.

Edited by Aurbere

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 14

Hapes Territory- Herald of Death- Command Center

The clone of Grand Admiral Thrawn studied the holographic displays of the Battle above Hapes. The mighty Battle Dragons and other Hapan vessels had the Herald almost completely surrounded. The Chiss Warships had positioned themselves in a defensive formation to prevent the Hapan ships from making a full surround.

Turbolaser fire exchanged between the two mighty fleets, the Chiss ships being largely ignored in favor of destroying the forty thousand meter Dreadnought that was breaking down their ranks. Single bursts of cannon volleys destroyed capital ships utterly, swarms of droid starfighters quickly eliminated enemy fighter squadrons with an array of homing missiles and heavy blaster cannons.

Yet despite the massive warship’s potential for destruction, the Hapan fleet remained strong. For each ship destroyed another filled the hole it left until the debris of destroyed Hapan ships proved impassable.

The mighty warship’s shields were draining, though. Fortunately the warship possessed special shielding to minimize the power of the proton torpedoes fired by the Hapan Battle Dragons. But despite its massive size and firepower, the equally massive Hapan fleet was proving to be an equal match, and the Chiss Warships were proving insufficient in lessening the burden.

The battle maps parted, making room for the holo image of The Master, calling from the ship’s medical center.

“Report.”

Thrawn turned to acknowledge him, saluting with a slight nod of his head. “My lord, it would appear that we are losing the battle.”

The lights of the room began to flicker, as if the ship itself did not approve of the situation report. The lights intensified so brightly that light reflected off of the red and blue badges that adorned the Chiss Admiral’s gray uniform.

“The Galactic Alliance has dispatched reinforcements.” The Master said, his voice transcending the holographic display, speaking to him as if he was in the room. “We cannot be delayed any longer. Prove yourself worthy of your father’s name.”

Thrawn felt like his heart had jumped into his throat. He was forced to rely on his conditioning to maintain his composure. “Understood, my lord.”

A yelp of pain was heard in the background on The Master’s end. “Be silent!” He said to the subject in pain before cutting the transmission.

Hapes Territory- Herald of Death- Medical Center

“Silence!” The Master put a steel hand over Jaina Solo’s mouth. “We have not even scratched the surface of your… delicate mind. The pain you experience is nothing compared to what is to come.” The Master retracted he hand.

“I have your mind in the palm of my hand. Your thoughts, desires, hopes, and dreams are laid bare.” His hand stroked her cheek, lightly scratching it. “But those do not concern me.” Quickly retracting his hand again. “I am more interested in your memories.”

The Master’s power left Jaina Solo unable to speak. His presence in her mind required all of her attention. His will was like a battering ram, breaking through her mental defenses with utter ease. A dark power fell over her mind, and it was all she could do to keep herself from being swallowed by the perpetual darkness. All of her willpower was devoted to blocking out the pain and resisting his overwhelming darkness.

Her only light in the darkness was her family; her loved ones gave her the strength to resist.

“Very good, Solo.” The Master mocked her with contempt. “Continue resisting, for it will be so much sweeter when you embrace the power of the dark side.”

The Master’s cold laugh echoed in the room, but he quickly fell silent. “You remind me of a Jedi I used to know. What was her name?” He paused, his gaze straight forward. “Ah, Master Lsu was her name. She was a warrior like you, and like you she grew up surrounded by warfare.”

“She did not live long after the Sith War, so I must ask you what I would have asked her.” He paused, a rush of emotion rushed through the link between their minds. “What will you do when I have created an everlasting peace? Will you defy me and fight to the bitter end, or will you accept my rule and seek to live in peace?”

He wanted the questions to be answered, but not by her. While he had directed the question to her, he yearned for Master Lsu to answer. He wanted to know what her answer was.

He backed away, his presence retreating with him. He stood there, in the center of the room, for a moment. In an instant he was back in front of her, his steel mask a hair’s breadth away from her, his murky presence washing over her again.

“Very clever!” He said, anger and hatred burning in his voice as he drove his fist into the wall behind her. “Using your emotions to influence mine. I underestimated your willpower. But enough games.”

He retreated back again. “Your memories are what interest me most. They can be an effective tool for torture. I can make you relive your memories, experience the same pain a thousand fold, alter your memories as I see fit. I could even erase your memories completely, and make you my servant.” He paused for a moment, contemplating that possibility. “But I will not. I prefer my servants to be willing.”

The Master’s presence darkened, pushing through her mental barriers with the precision of a needle, drawing her memories out.

“Let’s start with the Vong War.”

Hapes Territory- Herald of Death- Command Center

The nearly endless stream of holographic ships had finally ended and the final barrier between Death’s Embrace and the planet had been revealed. The Chiss Warships were all but eradicated, its numbers reduced to a measly five ships, and the Herald’s shields had finally fallen, but the Hapan fleet was in far worse shape.

The Hapan fleet had been finally reduced to a mere fifty ships, a fraction of its might. The debris of destroyed ships cluttered the field of battle. Thrawn had commanded the Herald’s tractor beam crews to pull the debris closer to form a make-shift shield around the ship, but the barrier worked both ways.

Laser fire exchanged by the two fleets often connected with the make-shift barrier, eradicating completely the pieces of debris that were hit. The field made destroying the Hapan fleet with turbolaser fire difficult, a task that would have to be left to the fighter squadrons that remained.

On the starfighter front, only a few Hapan fighter wings remained, but they were quickly swarmed by tens of thousands of droid starfighers. The Hapan fighters were quickly eliminated, the pilots’ lives ended in small puffs of flame, their starships completely eradicated.

Suddenly and without warning, the make-shift barrier of ship debris collapsed, proton torpedoes racing through the holes made in the debris and impacting the massive warship. Dozens of torpedoes crashed into the mighty warship, puncturing its heavy durasteel hull. The dual armor layer of the Herald minimized the damage suffered, allowing it to carry on as normal.

The starfighters and the Herald quickly responded in kind, concentrating fire on the remaining Hapan vessels. The Hapan ships engaged in evasive maneuvers, but they could not move fast enough to avoid the torrent of laser fire that the Herald unleashed.

Within minutes many of the remaining ships had been destroyed, and the rest began retreating back to the planet.

Thrawn stood up from the command chair. I shall inform him personally, he thought to himself before exiting the room.

Hapes Orbit- Herald of Death- Medical Center

The Master followed the rushing current of Jaina Solo’s emotions. He had altered her memories of the Vong War and her battles with her brother. Now he sought a new memory: the duel between them. By manipulating this memory, he hoped to convince her that she had sworn allegiance to him after their bout. She had proven willful, and he no longer had the time to wait for her to join him willingly.

The Master probed her mind for the memory, but Solo proved resilient. She fought with everything she had to prevent him from further altering her memories. His ventures would have proven more successful if he wasn’t too concerned for her mental state. He took great care to keep her mental health in acceptable condition. He used misdirection and deception to keep her off balance.

The sound of a door opening stalled him.

“My lord, we have won the space battle and are now orbiting the planet.”

Thrawn’s entrance prompted him to break the connection. He disconnected his Force presence from Jaina’s and let unconsciousness take her. He was not pleased with this turn of events. He had hoped to turn her sooner, but this was not Thrawn’s fault. Perhaps Jaina Solo was stronger than he thought, or his prowess for mental manipulation was not as great as he assumed it was. It mattered not.

He suppressed his anger and turned to Thrawn. “We won so quickly?” He asked, concerned that a greater plan was at work here.

He nodded. “Yes, my lord. But at least a dozen enemy ships fled.” He made a quick glance to Jaina. She looked dead, but the subtle raising of her chest with each breath alleviated his mild concerns. He understood that The Master wanted her for some reason. Her dying would not help his plans- whatever they were- very well. He already knew that The Master planned vengeance on the Jedi for the death of his daughter; yet keeping the murderer herself alive confused him. But The Master’s private affairs were none of his concern.

“There may be a plan behind this.” Thrawn finished.

“That’s because there is.” The Master said. He let the Force flow through him, his senses expanding across the galaxy. He could feel a beacon of light side Force energy rapidly approaching. It was the Jedi Grand Master. The Force was drawn to him, swirling around him like a mighty tornado. Despite Luke Skywalker’s best efforts, The Master could sense him. Skywalker did his best to hide in the darkness of the galaxy, but The Master’s senses pierced the veil and drew out the nexus of the Force that surrounded him. “The Galactic Alliance has dispatched reinforcements. Our invasion will be interrupted.”

If Thrawn was affected by this news, his face did not give it away. “We don’t have the forces to defeat another fleet.” He said in a calm, matter-of-fact tone of voice.

“Then you will have to retreat, leaving me and my forces planet-side.” It was not a statement, but a command.

The Master stepped past Thrawn and exited the room, heading for the shuttle hangars.

A critical moment approached. The fate of the galaxy would be decided by this battle.

Edited by Aurbere

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just to say that I'm still reading, I've just been very distracted of late and haven't had time to post.

I look forward to the stories climatic conclusion, keep it up!

I haven't had much time to write, either. I have been working on the next few chapters, but in the meantime, here is the next one:

Chapter 15

Cato Neimoidia- Business Concourse

“Get Down!” Captain Nar’lon, a blue-skinned Twi’lek male donned in standard GA military uniform, ducked under a screaming missile. "Take cover!" He shouted out as the missile screamed over his head. The missile shrieked past the barricade line the GA soldiers had set up at the central vertex of the Business Concourse platform that was suspended high above a gaping chasm then drilled into an Alliance heavy assault tank.

He peeked over the barricade to gauge the enemy force. At least a hundred battle droids- skeletal in shape, but packing more firepower than most tanks- were taking cover behind market stands, light poles, and buildings. Marching across the platform was a crimson and ivory colored wave, the number of droids indistinguishable as they melded together. Some droids carrying high-powered sniper rifles raced into buildings, but most held the line, marching forward and firing on any Alliance soldier that dared to pop his head up too far.

Backing up the wave, just out of range of Alliance heavy weapons, was a line of Hovering Assault Tanks. Looking down the scope on his weapon, Nar’lon saw the tanks were equipped with four anti-personnel weapons, a single anti-tank cannon, and a massive rail gun.

A green blaster bolt shrieked past Nar’lon’s ear and hit the soldier that had rushed up behind him. He quickly ducked back down, pressing his back against the meter-tall barricade. Why they invaded the Neimoidian worlds was beyond him. After the Clone Wars the Trade Federation and the Neimoidians were disgraced. There was nothing of any real importance here. The only logical explanation was that they were trying to get a good staging point in the Core.

Koru and Pure Neimoidia had fallen quickly under the oppressive force, but the news of a victory at Carida had uplifted the spirits of the GA soldiers. Their resistance increased.

Captain Nar’lon checked his rifle’s ammo supply. He had three cartridges left and half of one in his rifle. Alliance soldiers popped out of cover to fire a burst of blaster bolts at the droid wave then taking cover to avoid getting shot.

Nar’lon popped up, aimed his blaster rifle and pulled the trigger. Blue plasma bolts sputtered out of his rifle, shrieking through the air and hitting one of the battle droids in the chest. The targeted droid was staggered, the bolts putting a hole in the crimson droid’s chassis. As it clattered to the ground, the miniature missile launcher on its left shoulder fired all of its missiles into the GA line.

Nar’lon ducked down. The small missiles impacted the stone pillars and durasteel buildings behind them. No casualties from that one. Nar’lon’s gun grip vibrated in his hand. He cursed at how much ammo it was taking to bring these droids down. He quickly pulled the empty cartridge out and replaced it with a full one.

Alliance tanks and heavy vehicles moved up from the large bunker at the very end of the platform to reinforce the line, firing their heavy laser cannons and repeater turrets into the droid line. The crimson and ivory droids scattered, but their great numbers proved a disadvantage. With no really solid cover, the platform had become a killing field. Dozens of droids were quickly gunned down; some discharged their failsafe missiles others were annihilated before they could do the same.

Nar’lon and the other Alliance soldiers took their chance, popping out of cover and lighting the droid line up with blaster fire. After expending a full cartridge, Nar’lon ducked back down, a smile on his face as he considered just how close they were to victory. He peeked over the cover. The droid line was scattering, hundreds of droids had been disabled, and the pieces of hundreds more were scattered about the Concourse. The crimson-ivory wave began to shrink, and the number of droids became discernible. Nar’lon counted at least two hundred droids were left.

Nar’lon’s smile quickly washed away when he saw the Hovering Assault Tanks at the far end of the battlefield lurch backward, their rail guns smoking. A head-splitting screech followed, the sound was so loud Nar’lon thought his ear drums were about to pop.

Faster than the eye could see, the projectiles fired from the line of HATs pierced through the Alliance vehicles and into the bunker. The Alliance vehicles exploded, shaking the platform and showering Nar’lon and the Alliance soldiers in shrapnel as the explosion sent them flying, some into the chasm below. The bunker, their last defensive holdout on the planet, collapsed in on itself.

Nar’lon was dazed. His vision was cloudy and his ears were ringing. He felt metal hands grab him by the arms and hoist him to his knees. His vision began to clear. He saw droids cleanly execute soldiers who were still dazed from the explosion. Entering the fray were a Togruta and Human female.

The Togruta’s blue and white skin was covered in purple lines, and her skin had become deathly pale to the point that the blue hue was slowly disappearing. She was garbed in black robes, the seams lined in blood red.

The Human female had long black hair and she wore purple robes adorned with white symbols. Unlike the Togruta, her skin was a perfect alabaster. Smooth and fair.

Together they walked over to him.

“This must be the commander, Guardian.” The Human said, pulling Nar’lon’s head up by the chin.

“It seems that way, Lore-master.” The Togruta said as she unhooked her lightsaber from her belt. She held the hilt close to his head, the cold steel grazing Nar’lon’s lekku. “Should I kill him now?”

The Lore-master studied Nar’lon’s face. “Maybe…” She said softly. “Tell me, soldier, what do you know of Alliance military protocols and counter-attack responses?”

Nar’lon said nothing in response, his demeanor reflected on his face.

The Lore-master let his chin go. “He has nothing, kill him.”

The Guardian nodded. She raised her lightsaber up and activated it; the weapon produced an amethyst blade. Nar’lon watched as the blade of violet energy came down in a decapitating stroke, felt the droids that held him release him as they backed away from him. He had only one chance to take hold of his own destiny, to go out fighting.

Everything moved in slow motion. He ducked under the amethyst blade and charged The Guardian, driving his right shoulder into her abdomen and tackling her to the ground. As quick as he could he drove his right hand’s wrist vibroblade into her abdomen. She let out a blood-chilling scream. He pulled his arm back and went for another stab, but The Guardian had pulled her legs in and sent him into the air with a Force-enhanced kick.

He felt himself being held in the air by an invisible Force, completely immobile. He knew that his last stand was over now. The droid army had him surrounded with their weapons raised at him. The woman known as The Lore-master was staring at him, a wild fury in her eyes that burned into his soul. Her right arm was extended towards him and her hand was balled into a fist.

“Your death could have been quick and painless, worm!” The Guardian said as she stood up, the wound that he had made with his wrist-blade had been healed somehow. “Now you’ll die a painful death!” Her voice was shrill and filled with anger, as if she felt herself so mighty that Nar’lon even touching her was an insult. “Kill him!”

The Lore-master unclenched her fist. Nar’lon felt his limbs go cold; a burning cold that made him feel like his head was tearing itself apart. Then he saw out of the corner of his eyes that his arms were gone, blood spewed forth from the mangled flesh like a fountain. His mind caught up to what he saw and he realized the pain. His only response was to scream, and then he felt the invisible Force hurl him into the chasm below. But the blood loss killed him soon after the platform became obscured by fog.

Hapes- Outskirts of Ta’a Chume’Dan

The capital city of Hapes was an economic center of massive proportions. The entire Hapes cluster did business here. As such, many of the glorious buildings in Ta’a Chume’Dan were economic hubs and embassies of each individual world in the Cluster. The city had now become a fortress. Upon learning of The Master’s arrival in the Cluster, the Hapans fortified the city, militarizing it. A massive shield encompassed the entire city, protecting it from bombardment. Watch towers were fortified with snipers, heavy vehicles were entrenched in the city, and the buildings now served as make-shift bunkers.

Above the city was the Fountain Palace, a glowing jewel symbolizing Hapan beauty. The Palace sat on the bluffs overlooking the city. Behind the Palace were raised jagged cliffs defending the Palace from a direct assault.

The invading army landed in the windswept plains several kilometers away from the capital. Millions of battle droids and hundreds of battle tanks formed ranks in preparation to march on the capital. And at the head of this invasion force was The Master. A shadow was cast over the planet; darkness had fallen on the peaceful world.

A battle droid commander unit, a droid colored black with golden stripes, approached The Master. “My lord, analysis of the shield has determined that our units cannot pass through it.” The droids vocabulator produced a deep, metallic voice.

“Let’s test that, shall we?” The Master did not always trust the results that a machine provided. They did not always account for certain variables. “Move the force so that the front tank line is in range.”

The droid nodded and at once the great host was moving. After traveling one kilometer the force stopped. The droid army had come in range of the city, and long range Hapan weaponry. A loud scream was carried on the wind. The Master looked up and saw a wave of three dozen green plasma rounds falling from the sky.

“Stay where you are.” He commanded the droid soldiers. He concentrated on the plasma rounds, wrapping invisible tendrils around them. They fell with incredible speed, stopping them was difficult. The Master drew heavily on the Force and, with an outstretched hand, stopped the artillery rounds seconds before they impacted the droid line. With a twitch of his index finger, he sent the rounds hurtling towards the city. The rounds were quickly absorbed by the shield protecting the city.

The Master turned back to the droid commander, Unit-01175. “Tell the tanks to fire their rail guns.”

Seconds later the tanks opened fire. The projectiles screamed past him- the sound capable of deafening any normal man- and forced their way into the shields and then barraging economic hubs and business centers. Three buildings collapsed, the rest crippled beyond any hope of repair.

“Move into the city.” The Master said. “Kill them all.” He separated himself from the droid army and headed back to the landing field where his personal shuttle awaited.

Hapes- Fountain Palace Grounds

The Master’s Defender-class shuttle appeared from stealth and landed in the landing field that sat between the Fountain Palace and the jagged cliffs behind it. The Master and four of his most elite guard, guards clad in gold and carrying lightsaber pikes, disembarked the shuttle.

Awaiting them was a squadron of nine Hapan Royal Guards. Some had rifles raised, others wielded bladed weapons. The Master could feel their fear. His aura of dread cast a shadow over their minds, warping them, inspiring fear where there should be none. Sweaty palms struggled to hold weapons, sweat poured down their faces.

One of the rifle-carrying soldiers accidentally fired, but The Master had already reacted. He had picked the blaster bolt out of the air with his hand. The Master held it between his fingers. He studied the soldiers. Their fears had elevated. The Master let the bolt go and directed it into the skull of the soldier that fired it.

The sword-wielding soldiers charged, swinging their swords wildly, but they hadn’t realized The Master had suspended them and their allies in the air. He cocked his head slightly and crushed their bodies with the Force then dropped them to the ground in a crumpled heap.

The Master stepped over their bodies and approached the Palace’s back entrance. He could feel rushing emotion behind the large doors. Soldiers and guards were rushing into position, hoping that they could stop The Master. He pressed his gloved hand against the door then made subtle pushes against it with the Force, creating a new shatterpoint to influence. He poured Force energy into the new shatterpoint and with a mighty outburst of energy caused the door to shatter. He held the pieces up with the Force and created a shield with them to protect him and his guard as they entered the Palace. The Master used the door pieces to shield himself while he attacked the soldiers’ minds with the Force, turning them into mindless slaves.

As they entered the central courtyard and approached the Throne Room entrance, The Master released the door pieces. The Master stood there for a moment. The elite guards and his new mind slaves were spreading across the Palace to kill any who may have been on their way. He approached the Throne Room doors. A powerful ray shield protected the doors. The Master touched the shield. It was solid, no way for him to pass through it. Conventionally.

The Master reached out with the Force; let his senses envelop the room before him. The Throne Room appeared in his mind’s eye with perfect clarity. The golden room and its aurodium pillars, the Golden Throne, the Queen Mother and her guards. They were all visible to him in his mind’s eye.

A moment later he was gone.

The Master appeared at the center of the Throne Room. The startled aides scrambled for a hiding place, the royal guards brandished their weapons and marched on him. The Master extended an arm, and the Force followed his command. A wave of energy swept the chamber like a tidal wave, shaking the room’s foundations and utterly annihilating the guards and aides and turning them into nothing more than ash. The Master purposefully guided the wave around the Queen Mother to spare her his wrath.

The Master approached the Queen Mother and used the Force to push her into the throne as gently as he could. “Sit.” He said softly. He took a step back, composed himself, and bowed low.

“Your majesty,” He said as he straightened himself. “It is an honor to stand before you, but I must say that the courtesy of this Palace has lessened since last I was here.”

“Drop the act.” Tenel-Ka said defiantly, her voice carrying with it an air of command. “We both know why you’re here.”

The Master was taken aback by her arrogance. Your kingdom in shambles, yet you still think you have any authority. I am in command now. He thought to himself. “And why I am I here?”

She stood up from the ornate chair. “To kill me and every Hapan.” She said in a matter of fact tone.

“Perhaps, perhaps not.” He stepped closer to her until they were only inches from each other. “You see, I am not the monster everyone thinks I am. I will save the galaxy from the inefficiencies of those who rule it.”

Tenel-Ka looked up at the ceiling, as if she could see through it, and see the Galactic Alliance ships descending on the planet. “You’re too late. The Galactic Alliance is here.” She said triumphantly. “It’s over!”

Suddenly he felt it. The beacon of light had made its way here without The Master realizing it. Luke Skywalker had arrived. “So soon?” He said with sincere surprise as he craned his head to look back at where he entered.

Sure enough, Luke Skywalker raced into the room, green-bladed lightsaber blazed to life. "Back away from her!" Skywalker commanded The Master. The Master obeyed the command. He then directed to Tenel-Ka: “Get out of here!” Luke brandished his lightsaber at The Master. “This ends here!”

The Master stalked forward until they were only ten paces apart. “Good, you have forgone the unnecessary ‘surrender speech.’ Now, Son of Skywalker, I shall reunite you with your dead wife!”

Stay tuned for the end of Part 1!

Edited by Aurbere

• 1 month later...

Chapter 16

Hapes- Fountain Palace- Throne Room

“Brave of you to face me alone. I would have thought the failings of the other Jedi would have shown that you cannot win alone.” The Master said. He let out a deep sigh. “I have waited a long time to face you properly, when we are both at our best.” He leaned forward. “I suppose I should thank you. Our first duel revealed to me my weakness, and now your failure in letting me live comes full circle.”

Luke calmed himself, centered himself in the Force. The Master was trying to provoke him with verbal attacks, the Dun Moch tactic. The only way to win was not to play. Luke hoped that The Master would be thrown off balance when his verbal attacks failed.

"Your death will mark the beginning of a new era." The Master’s anger grew. Luke remained calm, tranquil, as if he was ignoring him. The Master's taunts weren’t working. Luke’s strength of will was impressive, a strength not shared by the rest of the so-called Masters of his New Jedi Order. He summoned the power of the dark side, let it build up within him, let the destructive fury of the Force well within him, and then he released it. He sent forth the darkness to surround them, envelope them in it. Soon the room was shrouded in the darkness, and The Master fell into it, let it wrap itself around him. He became one with the darkness, a shadow within a shadow.

Luke felt his lightsaber hilt grow cold in his hands. He knew what was happening to it: The Master was employing a technique similar to the one used by Lomi Plo during the Swarm War. His green lightsaber blade shrunk away, the power sapped out of it.

“You feel it now: the darkness closing in on you?” The Master’s voice echoed, it came at Luke from all sides. “A shadow hiding in the shadows, is it not obvious now how the old Jedi fell?” The Master had vanished in the darkness, untraceable. “The Dark Lord of the Sith hid in the darkness, and used it to blind the Jedi.”

Luke felt the shadows ripple, and then it hit him: a steel fist plowed into his stomach. He resisted the urge to double over, instead delivering a Force-enhanced palm strike to the lingering shadow’s chest. The blow sent The Master retreating back into the shadows.

“Very good, Skywalker.” The Master congratulated him, a sincere congratulation at that. “But you must do more than simply respond to the threat. You must burn the darkness away with the torch of the Light. Mace Windu responded to the Sith threat well and, if not for your father, he would have succeeded in ending the Sith threat.

But your father lacked the will to do what was necessary. He sacrificed all things: oaths, friendships, and allies, to save his dying wife when it was his fall to the Dark that caused her death.”

The shadows stirred again, but no strike came. Luke gripped his lightsaber tightly, using his energy to restore power to it. A lightsaber sizzled to life behind him. Luke reacted instantly, ducking under The Master’s red blade. He propelled himself back with his palm and landed gracefully ten meters away. He rose up his hand and sent a Force Wave in The Master’s direction. The Master wrapped the darkness around him to create a shield, but the wave broke through the shield and knocked him against one of the aurodium pillars.

Luke propelled himself forward with the Force, bearing down on The Master in righteous fury. But The Master was already up and brought his blade up to block the attack. The Master pushed Luke back and immediately counter-attacked with a blow intended to decapitate Luke. The Jedi Master shunted the blow aside and guided it down to the ground then swept his blade for The Master’s legs. The Master jumped over the attack and blocked Luke’s follow-up strikes as he landed. Their blades crashed against each other and then locked. The Master pushed Luke back again and followed up with a one-handed flurry, pushing Luke on the defensive. The Master’s red blade struck from all angles, but Luke blocked them with ease and his deft footwork allowed him to dodge the attacks that he didn’t block.

But then The Master stopped his attack and fell back. Luke took the opportunity to go back on the offensive, launching into a whirling assault of green light. The Master struggled to keep up with Luke’s incredibly fast strikes. Luke’s attack pushed The Master’s back against one of the pillars. The Master spun around the pillar, dodging an attack that would have disemboweled anyone else; instead Luke’s blade cut a deep gash into the pillar.

The Master came around the pillar with his left hand reaching out. He wrapped his steel hand around Luke’s head and slammed him into the ground. Luke’s lightsaber flew out of his grasp. The Master then pulled Luke’s head back up then slammed it against the floor again, then drove a steel boot into Luke’s gut.

The Master let Luke’s head go and let out a sigh of satisfaction. “Long have I waited to crush you under my booted heel, Skywalker. Now our duel comes to an end.”

The Master lifted his boot away and raised his lightsaber. He expected to hear Luke scream in pain when he brought his blade down, instead he heard nothing. He looked down and saw Luke blocking The Master’s lightsaber with his bare hands! The Master quickly began pushing his blade, pushing Luke’s hands closer to his chest.

An explosion of Force energy then propelled The Master away, sending him crashing into the throne. They both returned to their feet, and their duel began anew. Once again Luke leapt at The Master and became an unstoppable dervish of destruction, his lightsaber green fire as it crashed against The Master’s red blade, driving The Master back.

The Master parried each of Luke’s attacks and guided them away from him before counter-attacking with an upward strike. Luke stepped back to avoid the attack, but The Master’s blade struck, moving with blinding speed, and grazing Luke’s left arm. A follow-up attack for the legs was barely dodged by the venerable Jedi.

The Master’s blade locked with Luke’s green blade. Luke was overpowered by The Master’s superhuman strength and forced on the back foot. The Master pursued the offensive, unleashing powerful one-handed strikes that wore Luke down. The Jedi dodged a downward strike The Master had overcommitted to, giving Luke the opportunity he needed. He spun around The Master, catching his right leg with his blade then plunging his lightsaber through The Master’s back.

Luke pulled his blade out and stepped away, expecting The Master to fall. Instead, he heard The Master laugh.

“Very good, Skywalker.” The Master said as he turned around. The hole Luke’s lightsaber left had been filled by a black void: The Master’s dark spirit made manifest. “Now do you realize how fruitless your resistance is? You cannot kill me with a lightsaber.” He laughed again.

Footsteps sounded from the room’s entrance. Entering the room was The Soldier, clad in heavy durasteel and red lightsaber blazed to life. “Skywalker!” He called out as he threw an opaque crystal in the Jedi’s direction.

The Master reacted with blazing speed. Within moments he had vanished and intercepted the crystal only to vanish again and reappear in front of the throne. He studied the crystal for a moment. “Interesting.” He said as he studied the crystal. Its jagged edges and smooth surface seemed familiar to him. “It seems my research was finished by another.” He said to himself then directed his attention to The Soldier. “I assume The Lore-master made this crystal?”

The Soldier raced up to Luke’s side, but kept a few meters distance between them. “Yes.”

Luke acknowledged The Soldier. He knew why The Soldier was here, and he knew the cause for this betrayal. “I’ve never seen a crystal like that before.”

“Of course you haven’t!” The Master said. His voice rose in anger when he realized what was happening. “This crystal is my design! And you,” He said, pointing the crystal at The Soldier. “You think you can use it against me?” He began to close his hand around the crystal, causing the fragile gem to crack. “You’re out of your league!” He then crushed the crystal and opened his hand to allow the shards to fall to the ground.

The Master stepped down to the court. “And now, for your treachery, Soldier, you will die!” And in a moment, The Master was gone.

He appeared next to Luke and quickly drove a steel fist into his jaw, then vanished away from The Soldier’s strike, an attack that missed Luke’s face by only a centimeter. The Master appeared again, this time behind The Soldier. The Soldier spun on his heel, bringing his lightsaber around in a decapitating motion, but The Master ducked under then brought his head up underneath The Soldier’s chin, staggering.

The Master vanished again, appearing behind Luke and delivering a kick to Luke’s back, knocking him into The Soldier. The Master vanished then appeared in front of them, two red lightsabers in his hands. Luke and The Soldier recovered in time to block strikes that would have run them through.

The Master fell in between them, his blades spinning and twirling in defense. Luke and The Soldier pushed him back, The Master’s defenses were strong, but he couldn’t hold them both. In a single motion, Luke struck one of The Master’s blades from his hand.

The Master reacted to the change in the conflict, desperately moving his blade between them to block their attacks, but he couldn’t keep up and The Soldier disarmed him of his other lightsaber. The Master ducked under a decapitating stroke from The Soldier and spun away from Luke’s attack. He vanished again, and then appeared in the same spot. As fast as a lightning strike, he reached out both of his hands and latched onto their throats. He lifted them into the air, squeezing the life out of them.

“Can’t you see?” He asked them in a sinister tone. “Your foolish resistance has finally come to the only possible conclusion.”

Luke and The Soldier, as they held their breath, began to sense something in him. He was weakening. The act of teleporting had drained him almost completely. They raised their lightsabers and severed The Master’s arms. They fell back to the ground as The Master stumbled away, darkness escaping the removed appendages like smoke rising from a fire. The Master showed no pain, but the Force shuddered as if a blood-chilling scream had been sent through it.

“It’s over, ‘my master.’” The Soldier said, pointing his lightsaber at his fallen foe.

The Master held his arms in front of him. “Impossible! My power is immortal!”

Luke wasn’t as sure as The Soldier. He kept his guard up, knowing that The Master wouldn’t be defeated so easily. But The Soldier was far too careless. He walked up to The Master and planted a boot in his face, sending the beaten shadow sprawling to the floor.

Luke sensed that The Master had finally understood what had happened. Despite all of his power, his overconfidence had led to his downfall. His teleport attacks drained him of his energy. It was a last desperate attack that ended in failure… and ensured his demise.

“I have been defeated.” The Master said in submission. “But you can’t kill me. I am a shadow, the darkness that lurks in your mind, a tidal wave of blackness that will wash over the galaxy! This,” He said motioning at himself. “Is only a shell to contain my power, I will simply move on to another one and resume my quest to purify the galaxy and take revenge for my daughter’s death!”

Then The Master’s own words came back to Luke: You must burn the darkness away with the torch of the Light. Luke knew what had to be done. He approached The Master and raised his hands towards him. “I won’t let you continue to kill innocents for your own revenge.” He opened himself fully to the Force, letting the calmness of the Force flow through him. The purest energy of the Light Side flowed through him, and blazing white energy burst forth from his hands, enveloping The Master in its glow. The Master withered under the glow, but his darkness resisted. The Master’s resistance was brief, his darkness overwhelmed by the strength of the Light.

The darkness was eradicated by the Light. The empty shell clattered to the floor. Luke’s hands were warm, he felt the energy that had flowed through him dissipate. The Soldier walked over to the silver helmet and pressed his right foot down on it, and then he crushed the helm.

“This isn’t over, Skywalker.” He said as he deactivated his lightsaber. “But, for now, we will part ways. This is the only respite your people will have.”

Luke nodded. He felt completely drained, but even if he wasn’t, he didn’t think he could defeat The Soldier. Not now, not after using everything he had to end The Master’s threat. Luke watched The Soldier leave, wondering how much more this war would cost, and what The Master’s students would do without him as their driving force.

But he knew one thing. Even with The Master’s death, the war had only just begun.

Ysanne Isaard Correctional Facility- Coruscant

She was alone when it happened; The Master’s death had struck The Beastmaster like a hammer striking an anvil. Centuries of planning and preparation and he was still defeated. She wondered if this was simply another part of the plan, another piece sacrificed in what had now become just another game of dejarik. But she could no longer feel his presence. He was defeated, but hope was not lost. The Soldier’s betrayal and The Master’s death were minor setbacks, and it was time for The Beastmaster to fulfill her destiny.

The Soldier liked to think, because he was the first, that he would become Emperor in the case of The Master’s death. But he knew nothing. The Beastmaster was his true successor until he lowered himself to create an heir of his own flesh and blood.

Now it was she who would do what The Master could not. She would seek righteous vengeance on Jaina Solo, punish the traitorous Watchers, eradicate the Jedi Order, and bring a new era of peace for the galaxy…

To Be Continued

Edited by Aurbere

• 3 weeks later...

Part 2: The Rising Tide of Darkness

Chapter 17

Office of the Chief of State - Coruscant

Jadec Nellis approached the Chief of State’s secretary. She was a young woman, mid to late twenties. Her brown hair fell neatly on her shoulders. She was typing something in on the computer in front of her.

“Listen, miss, I have been waiting for over two weeks to deliver this.” He said as he lifted the small black box on to the desk between them. “Can’t you just let me in so I can give it to him?”

She looked up at him, obvious annoyance in her eyes. “Sir, you can’t just walk into the Chief of State’s office without permission.” She was very annoyed now. “Just give me the box and I’ll give it to him at my earliest convenience.”

Jadec bit his lower lip. He was instructed by The Master to personally deliver this box to the Chief of State. The Master’s dead, though! Why should I do this now? But he knew the answer. He certainly didn’t want to keep it. Jadec wanted to get rid of it as soon as he could, so he may as well just give it to its intended recipient.

It was time to put on the charm. He leaned on to the desk. “Listen, darling, I’m in a rush, so why don’t you let me take this box in there real quick?” He gave her a sly smirk.

She rolled her eyes. “I’ve seen it before, but, if it means that much to you, fine! Go in, put the box on the desk and get out.”

Jadec pulled back in shame. Going to have to work on that. At least it worked, though. He grabbed the box and hurried into the door right of the desk.

Inside, Chief of State Wynn Dorvan, a handsome but aging fellow, was speaking to a sandy-haired man- Jedi by the looks of him- weathered by age. Jadec’s entrance alerted the Jedi, whose eyes immediately focused on the box. Jadec’s pace quickened as he approached the desk.

“I won’t keep you, just dropping something off.” Jadec set the box down on the Chief of State’s desk and started to back away when the Jedi grabbed him by the arm.

“Who sent that box?” The Jedi said, his voice calm, but the hairs standing up on the back of his neck told him he was caught.

Jadec tried to wrestle his arm free, but the Jedi’s grip was locked tight. “I don’t know!” He said frantically, hoping to play innocent. “I just deliver ‘em!”

The Jedi looked to Wynn out of the corner of his eye. “I’m taking the box and the delivery man to the Jedi Temple.”

Wynn’s confused expression turned to worry. “Is something wrong, Master Skywalker?”

Jadec looked to the Chief of State with worry. Not good! Not Luke kriffin’ Skywalker! “He can’t do this!” He pleaded, still hoping the act would work on Wynn. “I didn’t do anything wrong!”

Luke tightened his grip. “That box is tainted by the dark side and a presence I haven’t felt since Hapes!” Luke’s voice rose, commanding obedience. “Where did you get it?” But then Luke suddenly calmed. His grip loosened. He turned back to Wynn. “I’ll be taking the box and its deliverer to the Jedi Temple, Wynn.”

Wynn nodded. “Very well, Master Skywalker.”

Luke swiped the box off the table and rushed Jadec out the door.

Ysanne Isaard Correctional Facility- Coruscant

The Beastmaster was pushed into the mess hall by an oversized prison guard. She straightened herself and surveyed the hall. Prisoners of varying species dressed in orange jumpsuits were eating their food, or engaging in verbal battles for more food. Two prisoners, a Houk and an Aqualish, were in a fistfight for some reason. Some prisoners watched and shouted taunts, others kept to their plates, and the guards on the overlooking walkways watched with rifles aimed at the squabbling prisoners. The Houk pushed the Aqualish away and pulled a small makeshift knife from inside his jumpsuit, and when the Aqualish charged him the Houk stuck him in the chest. A single shriek sounded as one of the guards on the overlooking balconies discharged a single blaster bolt from his high-powered rifle. The shot streaked through the Houk’s large skull, killing him instantly.

The Beastmaster simply raised an eyebrow and headed straight for a seat at one of the empty tables. She didn’t bother getting food, she wasn’t hungry; she didn’t need food. She sat in meditation, waiting for the guards to end this meal session that many prisoners desperately needed. She felt a prisoner approach her from behind.

“Well, what’s a beautiful specimen such as you doing here?” His voice was slimy and seductive. He put his hands on her shoulders and turned her around to face him. He was a Faleen, a slimy species that used pheromones to seduce members of the opposite sex.

The Beastmaster knew that some member of the rabble would approach her. Her dress code asked for it. She forcefully refused to wear the prison jumpsuit, which left her in her normal clothing. Revealing clothing, it was. Exposed midriff, short skirt, tight vest. Why did she wear clothing like this? Infiltration, seduction, and optimal flexibility. She found the elaborate robes that The Master and the other Watchers wore to be too bulky and too constricting. She specialized in acrobatic fighting styles, making bulky clothing a hindrance. So the Faleen’s advances were not surprising.

“Don’t test me, Faleen.” Her voice was low to avoid attracting unwanted attention. “You won’t like what happens.”

The Faleen had a wide grin spread across his face and his eyes were wide, as if he was looking into her soul. His pheromones washed over her, attempting to addle her mind, make her his mind slave. But his powers for persuasion were nothing compared to the Force.

She stood up quickly, unbalancing him as she did so. She forcefully wrapped her hands around his head and poured the dark side into him. She could feel the energy seep into the very core of his being, interacting and melding with every cell, nerve, and muscle fiber within him. She stepped away from him and watched her efforts unfold.

The prisoners and guards began to take notice as the Faleen twisted and contorted, and writhed in agony as the dark side ripped him apart and changed him. His bluish-green skin darkened, the spines on his back increased in length. Powerful claws ripped the flesh of his hands. His muscle mass increased, ripping his jumpsuit. The Faleen fell to all fours and let out a powerful roar, a Force Scream that sent tables and prisoners flying and ripped apart the walkways above.

The scream burst the eardrums of everyone in the room except for The Beastmaster. She snapped her fingers, sending the twisted Faleen into a rage. He leapt into the crowd of cowering prisoners and ripped them apart with Force-enhanced speed and strength. The prisoners screamed in fear and pain. Most attempted to flee, but those who tried to fight were killed instantly by the grotesque monster when their heads were taken off or their hearts were wrenched from their chest cavities.

The Beastmaster turned her attention to the guards, who were now recovering from the Force Scream. She let out short bursts of lighting from her fingertips, taking the guards out one by one, the blue bolts ripping into them and leaving them charred husks. She let the Force flow through her and she sped away to the mess hall entrance, plowing into the white armored riot troopers that were entering the room. Her hands and legs moved with incredible speed, cleaving through exposed necks and breaking shins. Without looking back, she sped down the hall to the storage room where she could feel her lightsaber waiting for her.

Like a phantom she took out another squad of riot troopers and entered the room. She stretched out a hand and called her lightsaber to her. The familiar hilt made of a filed Krayt Dragon’s tooth settled into her hand. Her ears perked as she heard the twisted Faleen’s dying screams. It was time to leave.

She sped away again to the prison hangar. Guards that were in her path were decapitated or gutted through the chest; security footage would only see that they died instantly.

She navigated the massive prison complex quickly and entered the hangar, spotting a Jedi StealthX fighter landing. As it settled, an aging Jedi Master leapt out, activating his lightsaber and falling into a roll. The Beastmaster recognized the Jedi Master as Corran Horn, one of the Order’s finest duelists, but he was not as powerful as his peers. Horn charged her, lightsaber raised for a downward stroke. The Beastmaster raised her lightsaber to defend, but Horn’s attack quickly fell into a horizontal strike. In defense she Force-shoved him away. His speed was surprising and the attack caught her off-guard. She would have been dead had she not pushed him away at the last moment.

Horn attacked again, his blows strong… too strong. The Beastmaster was not accustomed to being on the defensive. She ducked under a strike intended to decapitate her and Force pushed him away.

Corran Horn was good. Better than The Beastmaster expected from Luke Skywalker’s false Jedi. She had wasted much of her energy in her escape attempt. She was not ready for this fight. Horn was not exceptionally powerful, but he was strong enough to best her now.

She felt prison guards race into the hangar, rifles raised at her. She felt more Jedi were on their way. Horn pointed his lightsaber at her. “Surrender!” He commanded, his voice booming, commanding.

Her escape was foiled, and she did not expect to live much longer if she surrendered. She deactivated her lightsaber and reached out both of her hands, one in the direction of the guards, the other at the Jedi. She poured as much energy as she could into the blue forks of lightning that raced from her fingertips. The bolts turned the guards into ash and knocked Corran’s lightsaber out of his hand. She brought her other hand forward and sent more Force lightning in Horn’s direction. The bolts knocked Horn off his feet and into the hull of a prisoner transport shuttle.

Not wasting time, she quickly commandeered the Jedi’s starfighter. She took off and activated its stealth function. As she flew away she saw gunships fly over the prison and starfighters searching for her. She flew out of the planet’s atmosphere and plotted a course for the Deep Core. She needed to get away, to recover and get her bearings.

Edited by Aurbere

Ever since Legend's return *shudder* I haven't found the time to read this.

But now I have and I'm pretty shocked, didn't expect the Master to be killed...

But in the words of Dooku I suspect "this is just the beginning!" :D

I backed myself into a corner. I didn't really expect to kill him off.

But perhaps this is just the beginning. I guess we'll see as the story develops.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 18

Borders of Imperial Space- The Unstoppable- Bridge

The Soldier was pacing, his head turned to look out into space, his cape flowing behind him. “This cannot be happening!” He yelled, his voice shaking the room. He turned on his heel and rushed up to The Brain. “Where is it?!” He asked him, the veins of his bald head about to burst from his frustration. “I want that ship found! Where is it?!”

The Brain’s implants glowed bright orange briefly as he searched. “Unknown.” He responded. The Master’s flagship had vanished after the Battle of Hapes without a trace. Not even The Brain could find it. The Soldier wanted it for himself to cement his new position as Master of The Watchers.

The Soldier raised an arm to strike him, but an invisible Force grabbed hold of it. He turned his head to see The Guardian using her affinity for creating Force Barriers to keep his arm in place.

“Enough, Soldier.” She said, her voice calm. She was undisturbed by The Soldier’s outbursts. “The Master’s flagship is not important now. We have work to do.”

She was right, and The Soldier backed down. He took a deep breath to calm himself.“Very well. Brain, report your findings.”

“Of course.” The Brain’s cybernetics linked to the Unstoppable’s holoprojector. The projector displayed a playback of the space battle above Hapes. “It would appear that the Hapan fleet strayed from standard tactics in favor of attempting to surround The Master’s flagship.” The Brain said as he commented over the footage. “Audio footage recovered from Hapan communication channels infers that they were not in their right minds. Evidence suggests that The Master manipulated the Hapan fleet into that position and used his Battle Meditation to dismantle them over time.”

The Soldier nodded, and thought back to the Battle of Hapes. He was stronger than I thought. I would never have been able to defeat him on my own. The same could be said for Skywalker.

“And our mission to Bastion… is everything prepared?” The Soldier asked.

“Yes, I have secured the codes and a shuttle is ready.” The Brain answered. “I will stay here to monitor your progress.”

“Good.” The Soldier walked past them. “Prepare yourselves.”

Coruscant- Jedi Temple

The Jedi Council Chambers were largely empty aside from Luke Skywalker, Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn, and Kyp Durron, who had recently recovered from the physical torture The Master had inflicted on him. Luke cradled the package the courier had delivered in his hands. The courier was being detained in the Jedi Temple until Coruscant’s maximum security prison had been secured. He studied the box, the dark side energies radiating from it made him feel tense. The Master’s mark was still easily felt.

“Let’s see what he has to say, Luke.” Kyle said to him from his seat across the chamber.

Luke nodded and pried open the box’s lid. Inside was a red glowing crystal and a small holocommunicator.

“Well?” Corran Horn asked impatiently.

“It’s a crystal and a communicator.” Luke responded confusion and worry creeping onto his face. He pulled communicator out of the box and activated it.

The device flared to life and produced a hazy, blue image of The Master’s mortal vessel. “Greetings, Master Skywalker!” He said as he bowed low. “I see my message finally reached you. By my estimate the war is proceeding well for me. Hapes will have fallen and my students will have created staging areas for my assault on the Core.

“But this message is being delivered for another reason,” he continued. “Accompanying this message is a small red crystal. You should recognize it as a fragment of a Kaiburr crystal.”

Luke floated the device out to the center of the chamber and pulled the crystal out of the box.

“The crystal has been cut precisely to fit into my personal holocron. I expect your Jedi have already ransacked my Citadel, so take the crystal and place it in the holocron. We will continue this discussion when you have done so.” The Master’s recording ended and the image vanished.

The four Jedi Masters sat in silence, pondering The Master’s words. Did The Master truly foresee the events of this entire war? If so, why didn’t he see his death? These questions among others dominated Luke’s thoughts. He hoped that The Master’s holocron would hold the answers to these questions and perhaps a means to end this war.

Koros Major- Iron Citadel Grounds

Watchman’s Log- Day 12

Being a guard isn’t easy, especially here. Koros Major should be a peaceful world thanks to its proximity to Coruscant, but it isn’t. It looks peaceful, but there is a shadow on this world. The Iron Citadel is an evil place, and I can feel the darkness radiating from it. The other soldiers said that the Jedi came through here, but it still feels evil. I can feel something pressing down on my mind, like a weight on my shoulders. I don’t know if the other soldiers feel it, but I don’t like this.

My request for a transfer off world has not been answered yet…

“Hey!” The Guard Captain’s voice grabbed the watchman’s attention from his writings. “Stop messing around and stand at attention!”

The Galactic Alliance had kept this place guarded since the skirmish on this world months ago, but the Enemy had all but abandoned this place. Why guard something that no one wants? But he had no time to dwell on it. The squeal of metal grinding against metal and the sound of gears turning scratched against his ear drums. He turned his head back to see the source of the sound: the Citadel’s doors opened. Black mist swirled out of the opening and darkness cast back the sunlight. A shadow emerged from the structure and slowly approached the soldiers.

“Halt,” The Guard Captain commanded the figure, aiming his blaster rifle at its head. “In the name of the Galactic Alliance!”

The shadow, cloaked in black garments, said nothing as it closed in on them. The Guard Captain fired a round past the side of its head. “Stop!” He commanded. More soldiers rushed in behind him, weapons trained on the shadow. The watchman felt a whisper in the back of his mind. He dropped his weapon and backed away. The whisper grew louder, louder, until it was a scream- his own. He clawed at his helmet and fell to his knees. Only seconds later did the screaming stop. His eyes cleared of tears and he looked up. The shadow figure stood in the center of a circle of corpses. It raised a hand, and the soldiers stood upright as if at the shadow’s command. They holstered their rifles and returned to their posts. The shadow turned his head to the watchman and raised a hand, an index finger pointed at him.

Is this the end? Will I end up like them? A single bolt of lightning raced from the shadow’s finger and drove into his chest, throwing the watchman on his back. The armor blocked some of the damage, but he could feel his body shutting down. Darkness closed in on him, wrapping him up in it. And then everything went dark.

Edited by Aurbere

Chapter 19

Coruscant- Jedi Temple

Luke Skywalker leaned over the balcony rails on the Jedi Temple’s west side and looked out at Coruscant. The sun had just set, but the massive city world buzzed with life. Hovering cars raced along the skyways, transports carrying supplies and troops came and went. Life carried on despite the prison riot only days earlier. The planet was peaceful… for now.

A sudden flash of blinding, white light burned Luke’s vision. The ground shook and the light vanished. Luke looked up at the sky to see a massive black vessel hovering over the Jedi Temple. Screams rose from the lower levels of the city only to be choked out by flames. Massive skyscrapers collapsed in on themselves and fell into other buildings. Starfighters streaked across the sky, firing laser cannons at transports, buildings, or anyone unfortunate enough to be in sight.

“It’s glorious, isn’t it, Skywalker?” A familiar voice. The inky, dark presence of a dead man.

Skywalker turned right to see The Master leaning on the balcony. He appeared to be the same as he was the first time they met face-to-face on Koros. Luke took a moment to reach out with the Force.

“This is a dream.” He said finally.

“Yes it is. Which begs the question,” The Master said. “Why am I here and why dream of this?” He asked. “Are you afraid, Skywalker?” He grinned.

Skywalker was unperturbed by The Master’s questions. He ignored them and asked: “Why are you here?”

He laughed to himself. “If this is a dream, then you should be asking yourself that question. I am merely a representation of your subconscious mind. The Master is not here. You are alone in here. You are always alone, Skywalker.”

Luke opened his eyes. He was on the balcony leaning over the railing. There was no black ship raining death on the innoncet, no fighters streaking across the sky. The planet was still peaceful. It was as if he wasn’t asleep. It felt like a vision. If it was a vision then The Master may return. Visions granted by the Force only showed possible futures. But he needed answers, and knew exactly where to find them.

Koros Major- Iron Citadel

The figure shrouded in shadow watched the Jedi starfighter land just one hundred meters away from the Citadel’s entranceway. A scantily clad woman jumped out of the cockpit and approached him.

“Who are you?” She said to him, a hand hovering next to her Krayt tooth lightsaber hilt.

The figure stepped out of her way. “A friend, Beastmaster. He awaits you in his innermost sanctum.” He walked past her. “I will be taking your vessel.”

She said nothing as he walked away towards the starfighter. She could only wonder who this figure was. He seemed familiar; he had a familiar feel to him. Whoever he was he knew something. He said someone was waiting for her. It could only be The Master. The prospect of The Master being alive filled her with hope and she rushed past the mindless guards into the Citadel to see him.

Coruscant- Jedi Temple- Grand Master’s Chamber

Luke set the pyramidal holocron on the floor at the center of his chambers. Placed in the grooves on two of the holocron’s sides were two red crystals similar to the one he was given. There was one empty slot that awaited its crystal. Luke placed the crystal in the groove and stepped back as the holocron began to activate. The tip split open and a thin tip in the shape of a spear rose out of the device. It sparked when it stopped then projected an image of The Master, the same image that appeared to Luke in his vision. The room seemed to darker even in the presence of The Master’s stored image. The darkness seemed to take on physical form; thin wisps of dark energy seemed to swirl around the pyramid of darkness. Even the tranquil peace and radiating energy of the Jedi Temple did not keep this darkness at bay.

“Ah, Master Skywalker.” He said. “I see you have finally accessed my holocron. Good, then we can finally speak in person, despite my apparent death.

“But first,” he continued. “I should tell you how we are speaking in this matter. This holocron is connected to my consciousness. When building it, I found a way to bind a piece of myself to the device, allowing me to communicate directly with those who accessed it.”

That revelation disturbed Luke greatly, but he remained stoic in his expression. He quickly made the connection between The Master’s device and ancient artifacts of times long past. “If that’s true, would that mean you are still alive, perhaps in spiritual form?”

“No. As I said, this device contains a piece of my mind.”

The Master was wrong, or at least, he didn’t know an answer. Luke knew though. The device contained a piece of him, much like Sith Holocrons contain the spirits of their creators. But Luke hesitated to continue this further. The Master would undoubtedly attempt to drag the conversation beyond where it needed to be. “On your communicator you said you wanted to discuss things further in person. Elaborate.”

“Of course, I was intent on discussing the state of the war. How goes it?” His tone was cordial, disturbingly so.

Luke met him on that level. The Master was manipulative as he was powerful, anything could be a ruse meant to put him on a higher intellectual level than those he is discussing. “Very well for the Galactic Alliance. After your death your students retreated and abandoned their conquests. The Alliance quickly moved back in to establish control and order.”

The Master nodded and stroked his chin. “Indeed? The victory will be short-lived, but it is of no concern to me now. My concern is with how easy you have made it to break you and your fellows.”

Luke was taken aback by the comment, visibly so.

“Your New Jedi Order and its ideals have made the task of breaking your members far too easy. Of course I am referring to attachments and your stance on,” he chuckled a deep dark chuckle. “Love.” Another chuckle, as if the prospect of it amused him.

“Love saved me and my father from Palpatine, and it can be a source of strength.” Luke said.

“Bah! Love can save, but it will destroy you. The fear of loss is the path to the Dark Side.” He responded. “What happened when your beloved died, Skywalker? You nearly fell. What would you do if your son was taken as well? If I still lived I could have him and your loved ones one by one. Ben or Jaina, Leia or Han, all of them! You would watch them die, watch as your beliefs doom you to darkness… and death.

“The fear of loss is the path to the Dark Side.” He repeated. “Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering.” He chuckled again. “Fear that I will take your son, anger that I have, hate when you can’t stop me and suffering when I finally end your misery.”

He’s trying to provoke me. “But you aren’t alive, are you?” Luke allowed himself a moment to smirk at The Master’s useless posturing.

“No, I am not.” He said, obviously disturbed that his efforts failed. “But my students are.”

Luke almost cracked a smile at The Master’s remark. “The ones that betrayed you? They are scattered and I bet they are lost without you.”

Bastion- Imperial Capitol

Night had fallen on Bastion, a dark night. Clouds obscured the moon and stars. It was a dark, dark night. A dangerous night to be guarding the Emperor’s palace, especially when three masters of the Dark Side of the Force aim to take the palace.

The Soldier looked around the corner of a military barracks that he and his compatriots, The Guardian and The Lore-master, had hidden behind. Stealth and the shadows were their allies here. The Soldier found the thought of fighting an army to be exhilarating, but he couldn’t allow the Emperor any time to flee.

Getting to the planet was easy. An Imperial shuttle, security codes The Brain provided, and the Force made it too easy.

They darted from building to building, lurking in the shadows and moving ever closer to the Imperial Palace, a grand building adorned with Imperial flags and guarded by imposing statues, not to mention the soldiers that guarded it. The three Watchers leapt up to the side of the palace and grabbed hold of one of the edges. They planted their feet firmly and held on with the Force then they leapt to one of the balconies.

The Soldier climbed up and snapped the neck of a guard whose back was turned to them. The other Watchers climbed up behind him.

“No mercy,” The Soldier said to them. “Kill any in your path. Move quickly and we’ll meet at the throne room.”

And then he was gone, darting into the palace. Guards at checkpoints and doorways were viciously murdered. Decapitated or gutted, The Soldier killed with no mercy and without being heard or seen. Security footage would only show a brief glimpse of a shadow and a red flash as the guards fell to the floor.

The Soldier searched the palace through the Force, but Emperor Fel was nowhere to be found. He and his companions had found the throne room empty. They entered the war room and found it empty as well.

The Soldier entered the communications frequency for The Brain’s flagship on the war room holoterminal. The Brain appeared before them in a hazy, blue image.

“Brain, we’ve searched the palace, but the Emperor isn’t here!” The Soldier said. “We’re running out of time before someone catches on.”

The Brain sat down on a hoverchair. “You will not find him.” The Brain said to them in a matter-of-fact tone.

“What? What do you mean?” The Guardian asked.

“I alerted him to your arrival, instructed him on what to do.” The Brain said, revealing himself a traitor.

The Soldier slammed his fist on the terminal. “Why? How dare you betray us!” The Soldier shouted, rage burning within him.

“You have been deemed expendable and an obstacle in the path to our objective.” The Brain said. He was calm, as always. “I am taking control, and I will create galactic stability.”

The Soldier heard the shrieking of alarms. The Imperials were aware of their presence on the planet.

“Good-bye, Soldier.” The Brain said before terminating the connection.

“Blast you!” The Soldier shouted. He turned on his heel to face his compatriots. “We are alone here.” He said. He was trying to calm himself, but his rage was a fire that couldn’t be extinguished. Not until The Brain was dead. “Ready yourselves. We fight our way out.”

The Master’s Will- Bridge

Downloading Supremacy_Personality… complete.

Accessing HoloNet…complete.

The Brain connected a transmission to HoloNet frequencies all across the galaxy. Holodramas, speeches, private transmissions, and inactive frequencies were hijacked by the transmission.

“Greetings, organics. This transmission is intended to relay information that will shock most of you. Across the Core there are hundreds of Baradium super-charges. These charges are powerful enough to destroy an entire planet. I expect the Galactic Alliance to surrender to me or suffer the consequences. Further, I will only accept surrender from Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker. By now your technicians have traced the signal of this transmission. Come alone, Skywalker, or I wipe out the Galactic Alliance with a press of a button!”

Edited by Aurbere

I've decided to start putting chapters into spoilers so that the pages are easier to navigate.

Chapter 20

Coruscant- Galactic Alliance High Command Center

Wynn Dorvan, nearly overwhelmed by the threat of hundreds of worlds being destroyed in an instant, fell into a steel chair in a darkened corner of the command center. The air, as if it was heavy with the weight of the situation, was stale. Around the room technicians slaved over computer consoles trying to trace the signal of the galactic transmission. At the center of the room was a large robust holoprojector surrounded by three Jedi, Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, and Corran Horn, and Wedge Antilles. The projector cast a blue light on their grim faces.

“He has us in a rough spot.” Wedge said under his breath.

“Where did they even get all of that Baradium?” Corran queried the room, knowing full well that he wouldn’t get an answer from them.

“Maybe he stocked it up over time?” Kyle responded. “He has been around for a long time.”

Before anyone else could say anything the room’s steel doors slid open, revealing a hulking figure shrouded in shadow. It walked in, and the holoprojector’s light revealed the figure to be the ancient Whipid Jedi Master K’Kruhk. “Longer than you know.” He said in a deep, gruff voice. “Much longer.” He walked into the room, stepping further into the light.

“K’Kruhk? What are you doing here?” Kyp Durron asked him.

“I came to tell you what I know.” He responded. “I meditated long on this attempting to recall memories long past. “We encountered him during the Clone Wars. A tremor in the Force alerted us to his existence. We believed that it was Darth Sidious, and that Mace Windu’s investigation had caused him to make a mistake. We were wrong.

“Master Windu gathered a team of Jedi Masters to confront the Sith.” He continued. “The Jedi were spread thin so Mace could only bring the Masters that had recently returned from battle. Myself, Shaak Ti, and Plo Koon joined him.

“We found The Master on Koros Major. We expected a fight, but The Master was not interested. Instead he allied with us, promising to use his galaxy-spanning intelligence network to help track Darth Sidious down. He said that his network had been built up over centuries of planning and manipulation, and that it had altered the course of several key battles during the war.”

When K’Kruhk was finished he backed out of the light and left the room, content that his message had been delivered. The Jedi and Wedge stood silent to think.

“That’s it!” Wedge exclaimed and snapped his fingers. “That’s why we can’t get good intel! The Master’s intel network must still be functional and is messing with ours!”

Corran Horn nodded and stroked his graying beard. “It does make sense. It would explain why we haven’t been able to locate our enemy.”

Wynn Dorvan quickly stood up. “Then we need to find out who is working with the enemy and stop them! I want a full investigation of our intelligence agencies immediately!”

Wedge straightened and saluted. “I’ll get the fleets ready. When we find where these guys are, we’ll hit them with everything we have!”

Corran Horn nodded in agreement. “Good. While Master Skywalker deals with negotiations we,” He motioned to the other Jedi. “Will head the investigations.”

The Beastmaster descended deep into the Iron Citadel, down to the deepest levels where The Master waited for her. She descended down past The Master’s sanctum, through the winding halls and secret passages until she reached The Master’s private chambers. The darkness here was strong, but it had lost its grip since The Master’s first defeat. Jedi incursions into the Citadel’s chambers had cost The Watchers valuable artifacts, and the most powerful among the Jedi brought their taint to these sacred places in an attempt to subvert the Dark Side’s hold on this place. But they had never found The Master’s most secret chamber. They failed to follow the Dark Side to its source. It was in these chambers that The Master performed his experiments, taking Sith Sorcery and Alchemy beyond anything the Ancients had imagined. His experiments and studies led to the dark taint that consumed the Citadel, transforming it into one of the galaxy’s strongest points of dark side energy, a sinister shadow in contrast to the Jedi’s Temple.

The Beastmaster opened the door to the chamber. Like a gust of wind or the vacuum of space, the Dark Side rushed out of the chamber and washed over her. It was comforting to be here, to let the Dark Side in and let this place comfort her. Too long had she been away from her home, the place The Master- her true father- had brought her when she was only five years old.

She entered the chamber. It was dark beyond dark. A shadow crackling with red lightning hung over them and purple mist crackling with violet lightning swirled around the room. At the center of the room stood The Master, who radiating a hazy, blue light.

“Welcome, young one.” He said to her, his voice echoing in the small room.

The Beastmaster was almost overcome by emotion when she noticed the small cube at The Master’s feet. It was not The Master’s spirit, just his image spat out at her by a holocron. Where once there was happiness, there was now anger mixed with sadness.

“It’s not you?” She said softly, fighting back tears. “I thought that there might be a chance that you had survived.”

The Master was silent for a moment then said: “I understand your sadness, child. But-

“No!” She cut him off. “You were said to have mastered Death, became Death itself! How could you have been defeated?”

“I don’t know.” He admitted to himself and her. “My defeat was a surprise to me as well.”

She stepped further into the room, letting the door close behind her. “Your visions allowed you to plan this war out by the day, but you never saw a possibility for your defeat?” She could not believe that The Master had been defeated. The Master was a god in her eyes, the true master of all things. His defeat should never have happened.

“I foresaw it, yes, but I expected it when we invaded Anaxes five weeks after Hapes.” He spoke calmly. “My death is not the end of the war, child. It is now up to you to finish my work and fulfill my great vision.”

She fell to her knees. She had always known The Master would relinquish control to her eventually, and now was the time. “What must I do, Master?”

The Master began pacing in front of her. “The Jedi are relentless creatures, but they have made themselves flawed. Strike their hearts and they will know pain. Find the Thrawn clone and continue the war as he suggests.

“The war is not with the Galactic Alliance anymore.” He continued. “It is merely a distraction from the true goal.”

“The Jedi.” She said, allowing a sly grin.

“Yes! A war in the Force! Without the Jedi the Alliance will fall. As the war with the Alliance progresses, the true war will be fought. Strike those close to the Jedi and you will further the true goal.”

“I will, Master.”

“Good.” He said. “Take my holocron should you seek guidance, but remember that this is your path now. Follow it as you wish.” The Master’s image vanished into the holocron.

She stood up and retrieved the holocron with the Force. “I will, Master, and I will succeed where you failed. I swear it.”

Deep Core Space- Herald of Death- Command Center

The Deep Core was considered unstable. Traffic was regulated by galactic authorities, and the military kept secret factories and fortresses on worlds that the greater galaxy has never heard of. Travel in the Deep Core was nearly impossible except for those with the proper knowledge of the hyperspace lanes.

Like Thrawn. Or, at least, the Grand Admiral’s clone. The Master had commanded him to vanish if the Battle of Hapes went awry. And it did go wrong. The Master was betrayed and dead. Now Thrawn was alone to do as The Master had commanded. He was hidden now, alone to enact one of eight of The Master’s contingency plans. At least, there were eight. The Master’s contingency plans were not optimized for the current situation, so Thrawn changed them to meet the new parameters. Soon he would move against the Galactic Alliance.

Herald of Death- Hallway B1- en Route to Bridge

The ship was cold and grey, but it was not like any other ship. It was black as the void of space and its internal lights seeming to be the stars. Its hull allowed it to diffuse any light that hit it, allowing for absolute stealth without a cloaking device. The hull was lined with thousands upon thousands of cannons, missile batteries, and proton torpedo launchers. Inside the vessel was a massive cannon that fired Baradium rounds enclosed in the durasteel corpses of the ship’s latest victims. Deep in the belly of the beast was a super factory that melted down scavenged ships in molecular furnaces to create resources to build whatever was needed- including simple cosmetic clothing like The Master’s armor, starfighters, or even large frigates and capital ships.

But even more sinister was what couldn’t be seen. The ship was possessed of darkness. The Master repurposed scavenged Rakatan technology, and hid Sith artifacts in a hidden archive. The Dark Side taint quickly consumed the ship. The Master had dominated this darkness and centered it on the bridge, but without him the darkness spread.

The ancient Sith spirits hounded the cloaked figure as he walked the ship’s halls. Their attempts to harm him were futile; their power was insignificant compared to a true master of the Force. They would soon be brought in line, brought back into their natural state as servants to a power beyond their comprehension.

The figure rounded a corner and entered the command chamber where the Thrawn clone was preparing for war.

The clone was visibly unperturbed by the figure’s presence. He had seen worse. “Who are you and why are you here?” He asked calmly.

“My name is not important, my message is.” The figure spoke the same words The Master had used to introduce himself to the galaxy. “Why haven’t you enacted one of the contingency plans?”

“I’ll humor you, whoever you are.” The clone responded. “The plans were inefficient for this situation, so I redesigned them. This ship doesn’t move unless I command it.”

“You will do as commanded!” The figure raised his voice.

“I will do nothing until I am ready!” The clone responded, matching the figure’s tone with fierce glare in his deep red eyes.

The figure loomed over the holoprojector in front of the clone. The darkness that the figure seemed to exude banished the light and kept him in shadow. “Very well, clone. I am taking the Jedi girl.” His voice was soft and quiet now. “The war is going poorly. Do not fail.”

The figure turned on his heel and exited the chamber, heading for the ship’s medical center.

Commentary:

My original plan for this chapter was to have it be a flashback for a confrontation between The Master and Mace Windu, but I felt that it would unnecessarily drag out something that K'Kruhk could easily tell us. If my readers want, I can post that part for reading's sake.

At your request, Beni, here's that bonus scene.

Bonus Scene from Chapter 20

In the year 20 BBY

Coruscant- Jedi Temple

Mace Windu. What was Mace Windu’s role in the galaxy? Was he a warrior and a general who fought the Republic’s Clone War across the galaxy? Or a Jedi Master and keeper of the peace? The roles were not as similar as many would think. Jedi kept the peace in the galaxy to defend the ideals of the only institution capable of maintaining a peaceful galaxy: the Republic. Mace Windu was utterly devoted to the Republic in peace or war. He was whatever the Republic needed him to be, because that’s how it had to be.

But now Mace Windu was off the battlefield, back at the Jedi Temple to prepare for a journey to Koros Major to investigate a disturbance in the Force. Mace Windu sensed the tremor in the Force; he suspected that every Jedi felt it, even the youngest of Padawans. It was a small outburst of Dark Side energy, but Mace fully believed that it was the Sith Lord whom Dooku served.

Mace wasted no time. He was in his starfighter and preparing for the jump to lightspeed. The Sith Lord could not be allowed to threaten the Republic and the entire galaxy.

The Iron Citadel of Old cast a long shadow over Mace Windu. An imposing structure, spikes jutted out of the towers, and several stone statues of various historical figures lined the entranceway. Legendary Jedi lined stood on the left to mirror the Ancient Sith on the right. Mace found it strange that Jedi statues would line a Sith-occupied fortress.

The Citadel hummed with the dark side even though it was once a Jedi Fortress during the New Sith Wars. One of several Deep Core bastions that the last Jedi Grand Master had established to act as secret Jedi training centers from which the Jedi could quickly respond if the Sith dared to strike Coruscant.

During the New Sith Wars, the Grand Master lured an army of several Sith to Koros Major to prevent them from aiding the Sith Lord Kaan on Ruusan. Despite being outnumbered three to one, the Jedi fought on. Only the Grand Master survived, only to disappear into obscurity.

It was here that Mace had tracked Darth Sidious. He walked past the ancient Jedi statues of Odan-Urr, Vodo-Siosk Baas, Arca Jeth, and Meetra Surik, and the Sith statues of Marka Ragnos, Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma, and Darth Malgus. They were imposing statues cut and refined to be as visually similar to the ancients they represented as possible.

The tall, steel doors before Mace swung open at a wave of his hand. Light from behind him poured into the dark citadel, and he entered. The entrance hall led to a grand chamber. A dark, vast chamber. The ceiling reached high above, steel pillars lit with torches held the ceiling up. Occupying the center was a figure twirling a green lightsaber. Mace studied the figure’s movements as he approached. They were in a strain similar to the Makashi-style. The figure moved with grace, prodding an invisible target with precise stabs and cuts. The figure twirled on a heel, ending his twirl with his blade pointed at Mace.

“Master Windu!” The man was not surprised to see him in the slightest. “Welcome to my castle, mighty Mace Windu.” He said with a low bow.

Mace raised an eyebrow. His right hand hovered at his hip, ready to call his lightsaber to him. “You’re not what I expected.”

The figure deactivated his lightsaber and sheathed it on his belt. “Of course, you were looking for the Sith Lord, weren’t you?” He turned around and waved Mace to follow. “I have been looking for him as well.”

Mace was hesitant to follow, but this man was not inherently evil to him. And he was a shatterpoint that could end the war. Perhaps he should listen.

“My sources believe that he is hiding in the upper echelons of the Senate, perhaps manipulating the most influential members of the Republic Congress.”

“The Jedi assumed the same, but we believed that it was simply Dooku trying to sow further dissent in the Republic.”

The man waved a hand and opened the doors to a round chamber lined with nine seats, a darker version of the Jedi Council Chambers. He motioned for Mace to stop at the center and he took a seat in one of the chairs raised above him.

“Sometimes a liar will tell the truth to those who expect lies, Master Windu.”

Mace Windu paused for a moment. This man held himself above others, and his castle was strong with the Dark Side. This man was no Jedi, but he could help end the war. Mace made a mental note to return here after the war. “So you think he was telling the truth?”

“Most likely he was. Darth Tyranus’ specialization in lightsaber combat is indicative of his personality. Saying that there is a Sith Lord in the Senate was a precise move to gain leverage over the Republic and your Order.

“And my sources have noticed shifts in Senate policy too gradual for simple corruption. Enhanced security policies, more emergency control for the Chancellor? The Sith Lord is at work, possibly manipulating the Chancellor himself.”

Mace pondered the implications further, recalling the months of deliberations in the Council Chambers.

“I can help you, Master Windu.” The man said. “We have a common enemy. My agents will continue investigating the Senate and relay all relevant information to you.”

Mace hesitated again. He knew that the man was not a Jedi and that he could be an enemy, but there was something else about him. He was different. No Sith would propose an alliance with a Jedi, and he could have easily struck at him earlier. He chose to remain wary.

“Do we have an accord?”

Mace nodded.

“Excellent. As a show of good faith, I will tell you that the Separatists are planning another attack on Kamino. The Republic will be caught completely off-guard by a massive fleet led by General Grievous.”

“How do you know this?”

“My agents are everywhere, to better aid my search for the Sith Lord.”

Mace paused for a moment before quickly retreating from the room. His mind occupied trying to answer the questions in his mind. If that man wasn’t the Sith Lord, who was he? Where did he come from? How did he establish a network of agents that could spy on both sides of the conflict? Mace couldn’t answer these questions, but he would get answers once the war was over.

Commentary:

I had originally written in a duel between Windu and The Master, but I knew that The Master wouldn't win and he would probably end up dead. Anyway, that was the extended scene. Hope you all enjoyed! :)

Chapter 21

Herald of Death- Medical Center

Jaina Solo had no idea how long she had been on The Master’s ship, but she did know that The Master was dead. His death felt like a weight was lifted off her shoulders. She had escaped only hours later, realizing that she had never been completely cut off from the Force. The Master severed her connection to the point that she was unable to call on it, but it was a trick. The second trick was giving it back to her in a subtle enough way that she didn’t even know that she could call on the Force. When she finally realized the deception, escaping her bonds was easy; escaping the medical center was not as easy. Without The Master to control it, the darkness ran rampant. Ancient Sith spirits harassed her and she could barely summon the energy to defend herself, let alone try to escape the chamber. The darkness was stifling her. She was trapped until she could find a way to break the door’s locks.

That’s what she was trying to do for the past two weeks. Breaking the door control pad did nothing, and she could find no other means of escape.

All of her energy now went into sustaining herself through the Force while she waited for someone to rescue her. She sat in meditation, using what little Light Side energy she could draw on to stave off hunger. Her meditations were interrupted by a man shrouded in black robes. She could feel her lightsaber on his person. She stood up, gathered her energies and called her lightsaber to her. She quickly activated it and pointed it at his face in an attempt to reveal his features, but an unnatural darkness kept the light at bay.

The figure was taken aback by Jaina’s sudden aggressive response, but he only laughed. “Stand down, Jedi, you can’t win this fight.” His voice was soft yet commanding.

“I have to try. Stay out of my way, or I will cut you down!” Anger and aggression crept into her tone. The darkness of the vessel seemed to thrum at the sight of this, as if it wanted her to turn as much as The Master had.

The figure waved his hand and Jaina’s lightsaber fell out of her grasp. “You are nothing to me here, girl.” He said as he called the blade back to him and hiding it in his robes. “Now, you will come with me. Willingly or unwillingly, I care not.”

Jaina answered him with a fierce charge, driving a fist into his jaw, a knee to the stomach, and pulled his left arm behind his back. The figure gathered in energy and unleashed it in a massive and thunderous explosion. The medical center shook at the force of it, various medical droids were torn to pieces, and bacta tanks shattered.

Jaina was thrown into a wall, her skull cracked on impact and she fell into unconsciousness.

Bastion- Imperial Capitol

The center of the Capitol had become a war zone. Corpses of Imperial soldiers, husks of hover tanks and walkers, and charred, smoking bits of aircraft lay strewn across the city, split open by the lightsabers of three shadows that moved faster than the defenders could track. Cross fires and inaccurate targeting from Imperial heavy ordinance turned training centers, homes, and places of commerce into smoking ruins. The battle had raged for days against the invaders, who continued to push closer to the spaceport in an attempt to procure a starship. Even three Watchers couldn’t fight an army for several days. Desperation began to set in for both sides. Imperial warships loomed above, prepared to annihilate the Capitol when the Emperor gave the order, and the three Watchers were starting to slow.

But the spaceport was in sight. Guarded by heavy assault tanks, turret defenses, and a battalion of soldiers, it was, but their chance for escape was near. The Soldier leapt away from an incoming missile and landed at the center of the battalion, a massive shockwave at his landing sent dozens of soldiers flying. The other Watchers quickly joined him, the Guardian summoning a massive Force Barrier to absorb the laser blasts from the tanks, and the Lore-master cutting a bloody swath through the enemy with her lightsaber and telekinetically controlling her brother’s lightsaber.

The Watchers continued pushing forward, cutting through them like phantoms. The Soldier reached out a hand and closed his fist, lifting and crushing a two-legged scout walker before hurling it into a group of soldiers. He saw The Lore-master leap past him into the framed entrance to the spaceport, cutting down three soldiers in a bloody swing as she did. He leapt after her, but The Guardian did not follow.

The Soldier looked back to see a small army funnel in from all directions. Soldiers, tanks, and walkers blocked the passages to the spaceport and opened fire on The Guardian. Their bursts of plasma and missiles impacted the Force Barrier she raised to defend herself. She turned around to face her aggressors. She drew in the Barrier, concentrating it around her into a bubble of Force energy. The air became charged with energy. Bolts of blue lightning streaked through the concourse, striking vehicles, lamp structures, and soldiers unfortunate enough to be in the path. She began to reach out with the Force, picking up loose objects, soldiers trying to find cover, and small vehicles, and caused them to swirl around her. The soldiers caught in the swirling maelstrom of energy were pounded with loose objects or struck against buildings, sacrificed the pain of what was to come.

The Guardian brought the energy in forward. The chaos silenced, and then erupted once more. Her gathered energy exploded out from her, incinerating the soldiers caught in the maelstrom, destroying the vehicles and ravaging the buildings that were caught in the blast. After the dust settled, The Guardian dropped her arms in exhaustion and sauntered up the stairs to her allies.

“If we’re quite finished,” The Lore-master said. “Let’s get out of here before the Imperial fleet decides to turn this city into rubble.”

The Soldier nodded in agreement. “Agreed, let’s go.”

“But where will we go?” The Guardian asked, having quickly recovered from her exertions.

The others ignored her, knowing that the question should have been rhetorical. They all knew where they were going: wherever The Brain was.

The massive version of an ancient Interdictor-class battleship from Darth Revan’s ancient Sith Empire was motionless in the blackness of space. It was waiting for Luke Skywalker. The Brain was intent on forcing the Galactic Alliance’s surrender through the threat of the use of powerful Baradium charges located on many of the Core’s most prominent worlds. Luke had to go, he had to find a way to stop The Brain before he could detonate those charges.

He burst into the bridge to see something he did not expect. The bridge was manned by droids that were focused on their respective consoles. Obscuring much of the viewport were ten monitors, each viewing a different planet. Below them was a single, much larger monitor. It blinked to life and produced a real-time image of The Brain.

“Welcome, Grand Master Luke Skywalker.” The Brain said.

“What is this?”

“Did you think I would risk everything in a petty duel with you?” He responded, almost laughing. “No, of course I wouldn’t.

“These monitors,” he continued, motioning to the monitors above the one he was depicted in. “each depict a planet that is a victim of the plan that I have put in place. When I choose, a single planet will be destroyed, or many if I wish it.”

The alarm signaling the launch of the escape pods sounded off, then the alarm signaling danger in the hangars went off.

“I have just jettisoned all of the escape pods and destroyed all craft in the hangars to keep you here.” He said to confirm Luke’s suspicion. “The signal jammers on this ship prevent you from contacting anyone.” A sly smile formed on his face. “Mines in the escape pods will detonate when potential rescuers come, and the ship’s defensive will target any ships that may approach the vessel.”

“Why?” Luke asked. “Why are you doing this?”

He laughed. “Welcome to your prison, Skywalker.”

Wild Space- Star Forge 2- Command Chamber

It was called the Star Forge 2, a massive replica of the Rakatan Star Forge from thousands of years ago. The Brain had devoted considerable resources into finding a way to replicate Rakatan technology. He managed to create advanced molecular furnaces that could break down any material and reconstruct it into any material he needed to create anything he desired. But turning the station into a center of Dark Side power was beyond him, it seemed only The Master was capable of such a feat.

But The Brain made it into a nexus of technology. It was here that he could connect to technology across the galaxy. Advanced transmitters and communication systems allowed him to send his will across the galaxy, beyond the already established intelligence network, and upload programming to whatever he wished. The galaxy was already under his control, he needed only exert it. The only thing stopping him was his own desire to remove the Galactic Alliance and the Jedi Order from existence, or assimilate them into his network through the usage of surgical implants.

The Brain connected himself to the central construct, a massive cylindrical device at the central chamber. One of his droid servants approached.

“What of Luke Skywalker?” It asked. Its programmed voice modulator made is sound like it was groveling for its master’s attention.

The Brain allowed the wires to insert themselves into his head, digging through skin to connect to the epidermal layer of his cybernetics. Any normal person would feel a pain beyond pain, but pain was a non-factor for him.

“Master?” It said as it knelt.

The Brain shifted focus to the groveling machine. “We will not concern ourselves with the Jedi Skywalker. He has been neutralized. It is time for the next stage of my plan.”

The wires sparked, and the cylindrical device closed around him, encasing him like a cocoon. His orders went out across the galaxy, carrying a message of pain and death.

Koros Major- Iron Citadel- Inner Sanctum

The cloaked man tossed the unconscious Jaina Solo into The Master’s inner sanctum.

“I’ve fetched the Jedi girl, master, as you requested.” He said, almost with disgust as the ghostly figure of a dead man appeared at the center of the chamber. “She’s a foolish girl incapable of understanding true power.”

The ghostly figure cocked his head at the unconscious Jedi then turned his gaze on the figure. “Now, now,” He said condescendingly. “That’s no way to speak to your new sister.”

Commentary:

One of the most difficult things I encountered while writing this chapter was trying to come up with something for Jaina to be doing over the past two weeks. I hope my solution best fit with the circumstances :o

Edited by Aurbere

Chapter 22

“Replace her?” The figure asked The Master’s spirit. “You can’t be serious! This girl is insignificant, nothing more than a speck in comparison to your power!”

The Master kept his eyes on the unconscious girl. “Perhaps, but the Solo child will play a part in the events to come. But until then I have a task for you.”

The figure shook his head in anger. “No! I am not an errand boy! I was raised to be a weapon, not a delivery boy!”

The Master laughed. “Your rage would be more impressive if I were alive.” He said looking up at him. “Right now it comes off as a petty attempt to let loose your childish urges.” He waved his hand as if waving the subject away. “Now, you took the name ‘Seeker’ for a reason. Use your gift and bring me more Jedi.”

The Seeker swallowed hard, swallowed lump that formed out of shame down his throat, and bowed. “What would you have me do, father?”

“I care not how you bring the Jedi, only that they are alive.” The Master’s spirit, and the shadow that hung over him, appeared to darken. “It’s time to secure the new era.”

Jaina Solo awoke to find herself shrouded in darkness, darkness so oppressive that she wondered if she had even opened her eyes. She rubbed her eyes and her vision began to clear. She saw the ghostly manifestation of an enemy she knew was dead: The Master.

“How?” Was all she could utter. The shock of seeing him was overwhelming. “You were destroyed!”

The Master was standing over her as she struggled to her knees. “I was destroyed, yes, but not permanently.” He took a step back. “Skywalker’s assault tore my spirit asunder, nearly annihilated me completely, but I escaped at the last moment, only to find myself trapped in Chaos.

“It did not take long for me to wrest myself from that abominable realm and make my way back here.” He continued. “I’m not sure how I managed to escape; perhaps your uncle is not as strong as he thinks? It matters not.”

Jaina rose to her feet, finally realizing that her hands were bound by shackles. “You won’t win. He’ll stop you again.”

The Master viciously swiped his hand at her, hurtling her against the wall. “Foolish girl! Skywalker could not defeat me on his own, and he won’t get the chance again!” He made another swipe in the reverse direction, throwing her to the other side. “If my full power was available to me, I could annihilate you.”

Jaina struggled to her feet, her shoulder throbbing with pain. “Then do it! Don’t talk about it, just do it!” She spat back at him.

The Master laughed, and the darkness thrummed at his delight. “Good. Let the darkness consume you, child. Let it wash over you and take your sorrow, your pain, and all your fears. Let it comfort you!

“You know how it feels, don’t you?”

His words were like a poison seeping into her mind, arresting her inner thoughts and trying to provoke her darkest feelings. It felt like the darkness was assaulting her mind, pounding at the mental barriers she has struggled to keep up for weeks.

“Your uncle has already laid the path out for you; you only have to take it.” He was now circling her, almost like he was gliding around her and whispering in her ears. “The Dark Side can give you everything. It can give you anything you want. I spent over nine hundred years blind to this.”

He moved in front of her. “Join me.”

Coruscant- Office of the Chief of State

Chief of State Wynn Dorvan put his face in his hands as he sat at his desk. His hands fell into his lap. “How did this happen?” He asked his chief advisor, referring to the sabotage of the Galactic Alliance’s Intelligence networks. “How did this happen?”

The advisor stood quietly next to him, hands clasped behind his back.

“The only logical explanation is that the highest levels of Intelligence have been corrupted, but that can’t be true, can it?”

“It’s quite true, ‘sir.’” The advisor responded as he aimed a blaster pistol at the Chief’s back. A soft squeeze of the trigger sent a plasma bolt into Wynn Dorvan’s back.

“No!” Luke Skywalker shouted at the screen in vain as he watched Wynn Dorvan crumple to the floor.

The screen switched back to The Brain. “Was it comforting to think that all was right in the Alliance, to know that the galaxy was safe and protected?” He asked mockingly. “How gullible.

“As we speak, government officials, protocol droids, astromech droids, and assassin droids across the galaxy are attacking Alliance personnel.”

“Impossible. It can’t be possible. How did this happen?”

“Centuries of planning and manipulation. The galaxy was already under The Master’s control, he only attacked to see if the Alliance could overcome the odds and prove him wrong.” The Brain responded. “Even now the Alliance is shattered politically and militarily. I need only end it with one glorious battle over Coruscant.”

A thought occurred to Luke, a chance to slow him down and buy the Alliance time to recover. “You don’t want to win with The Master’s flagship?” Luke asked with false hopelessness in his voice to cover his intentions. “Would that not be the greatest way to show your superiority?”

The Brain paused, studying Luke intently. “Perhaps you are right.” He responded finally. “I will track down the Herald and use it to show my superiority.”

Luke backed away from the screen and fell into a meditative position, concealing the smile on his face. He knew The Brain didn’t know where it was. It was a wild goose chase that would prove to be his downfall.

Commentary- The Breaking Point, Balancing Life and Death:

Originally this story was just going to be one story that revolved around the particular situation Luke has found himself in, with a few changes. But as ideas started to flow, I knew that this would have to be much longer. So the title Breaking Point went from 'how far could I push Luke' to 'The Master's physical and mental breaking point. That leads into the next part...

When I decided to change/lengthen the story I wanted to make the title mean something, so I decided to go with The Master's physical and mental state. The concept of his Force Healing abilities allowed me to draw on the themes of balance, but here The Master had to balance between his life and killing others. He couldn't go all out because that would kill him. So he had to moderate himself and that's why you see a major shift in power when he fully embraces the Dark Side.