Why no love for Huttball?

Lordmird

Why does everyone hate huttball? I mean, you don't HAVE to run the ball.

I play as a Sniper most of the time, and Snipers generally own in Huttball. I never touch the ball, I sit at the top of the ledges throwing down G's of damage for as long as I want. It's a load of fun. My team ALWAYS wins.

So, why no love for huttball?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like huttball a lot.

I frequently play with a sniper. Entrench is an incredible tool in huttball. People _really_ under-rate snipers in that game, and most snipers, sadly, underrate themselves. Snipers are great at getting the ball. Snipers are great at getting over fires for leap. Etc.

I feel it favors Jedi/Sith too much. Sure I can kill people with my sniper, but I can't score or jump up or jump forward. The best I can do is knock someone off, but if they are a jedi they can jump right back.

Force leap/charge will not work when you are in cover. They can, however, toss a grenade to cancel cover and then charge to you, so you still have to watch positioning. The rage tree gets a secondary leap, but it has an extremely short range.

After entrench, I'd say the best sniper ability in HB is the root. You can root runners on the fires _even if they have a full white bar_, saving your team.

It's by far my favorite warzone.

On the topic of snipers, I feel that snipers more often then not are the main reason to why teams lose in Huttball. They will sit on a ledge all game and never ever touch the ball so with two or more snipers you can be pretty sure that you won't have the offensive support you need and in the event that you would pass the sniper the ball he'd probably just toss it l for a reset. I'd rather have any other AC on my team in Huttball.

It's by far my favorite warzone.

On the topic of snipers, I feel that snipers more often then not are the main reason to why teams lose in Huttball. They will sit on a ledge all game and never ever touch the ball so with two or more snipers you can be pretty sure that you won't have the offensive support you need and in the event that you would pass the sniper the ball he'd probably just toss it l for a reset. I'd rather have any other AC on my team in Huttball.

A good Sniper sits on the ledge destroying half the team. And when I say sitting on a ledge, I mean a good Sniper still follows the team's ball handler, helping kill all the attackers.

Defensively, a Sniper will sit on the main ledge, making sure the enemy ball handler, and all assailants do not get past.

If you think it favors force users, then you probably aren't taking notice of how games actually play out. Every AC brings decent utility to a game. Op DPS and Merc DPS are probably the worst off in that department, but both can still influence games heavily when well-played. And both are getting massive boosts in that department in 2.0, as well, with Exfiltrate and Electro Net.

A lot of people don't like it because it punishes tunneling moreso than other warzones. That single brain cell spent thinking about what's going on is too much for some.

i like how no one will run across the fire pit until they have the ball

when the ideal path to victory is the exact opposite of that

I score quite a lot running across the last firepit while it's up in flames(sorc ftw):D

Ok ok by quite a lot,maybe 5 times the whole of last week,so maybe a slight exaggeration there.

Also got an unlucky lag spike once and ran into one of the little corner pillars while the fire was up...

I do hate the map though,if you run into a good premade or your team doesn't have many good players(which seems to be alot)it's usually misery.

Why? Hmmm...

- When playing a non-leaping melee class/spec, I spend more time running around like a dimwitted Twi'Lek on LSD instead of fighting/doing the objectives.

- A good portion of the playerbase has *no frikkin' clue* how you're supposed to play Huttball and just randomly derps around, fighting meaningless fights, not protecting the ball carrier, not passing the ball when needed, not slowing/attacking the enemy ball carrier and I rarely see anyone running in front to catch the ball.

- When I play my op or assasin and stealth to the enemy goal line and ask people to just run down and pass it to me, I am completely ignored. Without fail.

- Playing a form of basketball/football hybrid breaks my suspension of disbelief. Yeah, like some of the strongest Sith and Jedi in the galaxy go around amusing Hutts... :rolleyes:

I honestly hope we get to choose at least 1 warzone that isn't included in the queue system, so I can blacklist Huttball. :mad:

A lot of people don't like it because it punishes tunneling moreso than other warzones. That single brain cell spent thinking about what's going on is too much for some.

Which is another way of saying it rewards skill, which makes it unpopular with some.

Having said that, it is easier on the juggsguardians and assassins/shadows.

Edited by Wainamoinen

I like huttball. Its the only warzone where every class is useful when played correctly - yes even those poor arsenal mercenaries can be good for (some/one)thing in huttball.

Snipers:

• Most like camping on edges in the middle - control middle.
  • The better ones move to the opposite teams catwalk to cover the ball carrier by bursting down powertechs, and tank assassins. Or rooting the warrior who is going to leep-immobilize your ball carrier in the fire-pit.
  • Some of the ballsiest snipers entrench on the enemies middle-spawn catwalk providing a permanent "pass-to" team member, or supporting the ball carrier.

Marauders/Juggernaughts

• Leaps
  • Roots
  • Guards and Taunt.

Powertechs:

• Offensive Pull.
  • Heavy burst.

Mercenaries:

• Knockbacks.
  • Heals.
  • (Electronet in 2.0)

Tank-Assassins:

• Offensive Pull.
  • Force Shroud.
  • Probably the best ball carrier.
  • Speed.

Sorcerers:

• Defensive pull used offensively.
  • Heals
  • Roots in fire (madness).
  • Speed.

Operatives:

• Endzone goal campers.
  • Healers.
  • Mid-control.
  • Permanent grounder of 1 target (VERY CRUCIAL) - operatives can keep 1 enemy out of the game permanently, or one person at opportune times. They can get rid of enemy healers, or more importantly powertechs and tank-assassins.

Edited by Yeochins

Why does everyone hate huttball? I mean, you don't HAVE to run the ball.

I play as a Sniper most of the time, and Snipers generally own in Huttball. I never touch the ball, I sit at the top of the ledges throwing down G's of damage for as long as I want. It's a load of fun. My team ALWAYS wins.

So, why no love for huttball?

Huttball and Voidstar are my favorite warzones. What's good about them is your whole team is involved. Not like with Civil War, Novare Coast, and Hypergate where you need to have 1-2 people sitting out defending a node while everybody else is fighting at a hot spot.

I score quite a lot running across the last firepit while it's up in flames(sorc ftw):D

Ok ok by quite a lot,maybe 5 times the whole of last week,so maybe a slight exaggeration there.

Also got an unlucky lag spike once and ran into one of the little corner pillars while the fire was up...

lol what I mean is i have the ball, i'm standing in front of the fire pit, KNOWING a nearby enemy is just salivating waiting for me to walk over it so they can stun me

i wait for one of several team members to run over it unmolested so i can pass or jump to them. none do. they stand there derping around in a circle at me

that happened more than 5 times last week. thank god for alt+up arrow "get in front of me" spam

lol what I mean is i have the ball, i'm standing in front of the fire pit, KNOWING a nearby enemy is just salivating waiting for me to walk over it so they can stun me

i wait for one of several team members to run over it unmolested so i can pass or jump to them. none do. they stand there derping around in a circle at me

that happened more than 5 times last week. thank god for alt+up arrow "get in front of me" spam

This, this and a thousand times THIS! Or, also, the flip side. The other guy has the ball, and you are waiting on the other side of the fire, and does he/she pass? No, they wait for the fire to go out, start across, get stunned, and burn up.

Irks me to no end.

But I like HB, overall.

Why? Hmmm...

- When playing a non-leaping melee class/spec, I spend more time running around like a dimwitted Twi'Lek on LSD instead of fighting/doing the objectives.

I find it funny that people try to say this point isn't true.

It's not like most classes have any way to resist being knocked off ledges or pulled off or whatever and few classes have ways of getting right back up without running all the way around.