Diplomacy and Light/Dark side point

Aberd

Grade 11 Diplomacy missions work *exactly* the same way as grades 1 to 10.

Before 5.0 dropped, the only crew skill missions that gave DS/LS points were Diplomacy missions, and each mission gave light or dark points consistently according to its theme:

* Steal stuff, deceive people, murder them, etc.: Dark

* Help people, save their lives, restore their stolen stuff, etc.: Light

* Etc.

Each Dip mission had an icon showing its dark or light nature.

Since 5.0 dropped, the missions *still* do that, but they also (like all missions, including other crew skill missions, give dark or light points according to the character's alignment toggle, and the icon that showed the dark or light nature of the mission instead reflects the toggle.

So, each time you do a Dip mission, you get some dark or light points for the dark or light theme/nature of the mission, and some dark or light points for the position of your toggle. If the two sets of points are in conflct (light mission+dark toggle OR dark mission+light toggle), you get both sets of points, light first.

So, how do you tell what the mission will give? Well, start by reading the mission's descriptive text. It isn't totally reliable, because some missions are darker than the text suggests, and others are lighter, but there *is* a more reliable way.

Point your mouse at the light/dark symbol on the mission. It will pop a tooltip window which tells you the number of points of each side you get for a "normal" (non-critical) success. The mission-theme points are normally less than the toggle-settiing points, but they are doubled on a critical success, and in such a case, they will be bigger than the toggle-setting points.

Beware: the reward box shows the net light/dark balance, but you get the full whack of both sets of points, as noted previously.

And you guys are far, far from the first to comment on this misbehaviour.

EDIT: thank me or not as you see fit, but I spent half a million credits in order to be able to investigate the difference between grades 1-10 and grade 11 for you.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

• 1 year later...
The only saving grace, is you offered far more Light than Dark based on your selection...

Not always, and it depends on whether you have the alignment toggle knob thing set to Light or Dark...

Specifically, if your companion gets a critical success, the mission-specific points (dark for lying, cheating or stealing; light for the opposite) are doubled, and become higher than the alignment-toggle points.

So, each time you do a Dip mission, you get some dark or light points for the dark or light theme/nature of the mission, and some dark or light points for the position of your toggle. If the two sets of points are in conflct (light mission+dark toggle OR dark mission+light toggle), you get both sets of points, light first.

I do not know your methodology but for me, it has always awarded what was toggled first and what was the nature of the mission afterwards. ie: I have light toggled and the mission gives me the light points first and dark second and conversely I have dark toggled and get dark first and light second.

Not always, and it depends on whether you have the alignment toggle knob thing set to Light or Dark...

Specifically, if your companion gets a critical success, the mission-specific points (dark for lying, cheating or stealing; light for the opposite) are doubled, and become higher than the alignment-toggle points.

I realize, why I said if you LIGHT alignment it would mostly be that way; if your DARK alignment you'll earn far more Dark Points.

I do not know your methodology but for me, it has always awarded what was toggled first and what was the nature of the mission afterwards. ie: I have light toggled and the mission gives me the light points first and dark second and conversely I have dark toggled and get dark first and light second.

Hmm. OK, looks like I was wrong about the "light first" part. Thanks for the information.