The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Bandito. Smuggler Gunslinger. Only spoiler is vague mention of companions.

The captain leans back in his chair with his boots propped on the table in the meal area. "What a pain" he thought. I have to make a grocery list to make everyone happy. I've got a Wookie that likes meats but thinks of himself as cultured and wants his meals cooked with several spices for his acquired cultured tastes as he puts it. A Mon Calamari that wants to eat seaweed so he can lose what he thinks are too many extra pounds he got from drinking some rum. Then there's the Iridonian who was with a Mandalorian clan who only wants rations because she thinks she needs to tough it out because she is destined to be back at some battlefield. Tough it out, right. She sleeps with a fluffy pillow and silk sheets. Then theirs the farm boy who wants to eat organic. A good shot, but really, organic? He doesn't seem to drink organic ale. Then theirs the girlfriend who is the daughter of a mobster who thinks we should always eat out and not worry about dishes. To top it off, the captain gets bothered by the assassin droid who keeps on making comments we should go to some remote planet and hunt for our food so he can practice his sniper skills. What a crew, can't they just compromise? He scans over the list then prepares to send it to the store for delivery.

Bah, it could be worse. He knows he could definitely have a worse crew. Be grateful for the group he has. Some other ships the captain just laughs at what their captains have to suffer for having as a crew. As he finishes the list, his girlfriend comes walking in with 2 glasses of Rishi Rum. She puts one glass down on the table near his boots then takes the tablet and looks at the list. "Good enough" she replies as she hits the send button. She gives him the glass on the table, sits on his lap, then smiles as she raises her eyebrows.

Edited by Jimcorpus

@Jimcorpus: I definitely have to agree with your Smuggler......that is one really diverse crew!

Happy Friday everyone......you know what that means! Yup, time for a new prompt!!

Week of June 19, 2020:

Like a Child--No Inhibitions: We had the prompt Like No One’s Watching for your character indulging in some activity they liked but were embarrassed to engage in. This time, let them shed those inhibitions. Children do the things they love and don’t care who knows about it. Be it singing on the bus, wearing colors or patterns that “adults know” don’t match, eating the whole slice of cake because it tastes great, or making stories in their favorite make-believe world. This week, write a story where your character is going to have fun regardless of other’s opinions, or a time when they remembered being so free.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Something Borrowed--writers find inspiration everywhere, sometimes in other people’s fic. Not necessarily characters, though we had a prompt for that, too. Sometimes it’s a scene, or a description, a side character, or a setting. The name of a bureau, what the hyperspace vortex looks like, a slogan, or something else! The original TOR thread has been host to a number of collaborations recently, so let’s make it official. Write your story and be sure to note what you borrowed and from whom. Add a link to your inspiration if you can.

Breaking the Fourth Wall: These are a lot more meta than we usually explore; roll with them and have fun.

• Addressing the Audience: Characters aren’t supposed to acknowledge their audience. Suppose they did? How would they speak to all those who’ve been reading and enjoying their adventures? What might they say to the complainers?

• Addressing the Creator: If your character could say something about their writer, what would it be? Would they complain about something? Take the opportunity to give you a piece of their minds? Maybe ask for a favor? Or would they be grateful and thank you?

Up until a few weeks ago, I'd been out of game for quite a while. I started to miss it though and my muse was showing signs of returning so I started some new characters to run through the old content to refresh my memory. A couple new legacies were born as a result and one of them inspired a story that's been taking up my thoughts for the past week....part of which I decided to share here. Hope any of you still reading these stories can forgive me for adding more characters and hopefully you all enjoy these boys.

Title: Sounds Like a Plan

Prompt: Friends, Flashbacks

Characters: Mikkyal O’Rourke-Trooper, Drexyn Dalov-Smuggler

Setting: Ord Mantell, Lothal

Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper Ord Mantell

A tall figure crept into the small room, the dim floor lights reflecting off the plating on his boots. Not wanting to shock his friend awake, he pressed the switch on the wall and a soft glow began to slowly light up the room. The Mirialan grinned at the tan skinned Zabrak sprawled on a bed that was obviously too small for his rather large frame. He noticed a blaster pistol resting next to the pillow, just inches away from that tattooed face. Then his gaze settled on the vivid scar running diagonally across his friend’s right eye and the soldier’s smile faltered as he was suddenly hit with a sense of deja vu. He could almost hear the hiss of a lightsaber being activated as the memories flooded him and for a brief moment, he nearly reconsidered waking the other man but decided to press on, knowing the spacer would appreciate settling an old score.

“Drex…..wake up!”

~*~*~*~

“Drex…..wake up!” a voice whispered frantically, the command easily waking the bed’s lanky occupant.

“Mik?” the Zabrak frowned, amber eyes narrowing as they focused in on the Mirialan leaning over him. He tensed at the worried look his friend’s face wore, “What’s goin’ on?”

“Trouble,” Mik answered softly, looking around to make sure the other boys that shared their room were still asleep despite the soft glow now filling the room from the floorlights he’d turned on.

“Talk to me,” Drex nodded as he sat up.

“I woke up a little bit ago…..had to pee,” Mik began as he sat next to Drex. “On the way back from the ‘fresher, I heard a couple overseers talkin’ downstairs.”

“And you decided to eavesdrop on the conversation,” Drex grinned, “Proud of you buddy…..usually you keep your nose clean.”

“Wasn’t planning on spying, but I got a bad feelin’ all the sudden.”

“Well, what did you hear?” Drex prodded, knowing that the other boy had a hint of Force sensitivity like most of his species.

“They were talkin’ ‘bout making sure the place would pass inspection,” Mik answered.

“No surprise there,” Drex shrugged, “Imps are due to pay the mines a visit.”

“Yeah, I know…..but here’s where it gets bad,” Mik continued, trying to keep his voice low despite the bombshell he was about to drop, “Overseers said the Imps were bringing a Sith with ‘em!”

“Kark!” Drex swore, his eyes darting to a bed across the room where a small Torgruta slept on. “I guess the boss decided to report Jak’s little accident.”

“I can’t think of any other reason they’d bring a Sith,” Mik agreed. “We need to get Jak outta here…...Parkaar and Zak too!”

“Zak?!” Drex’s gaze went to the pale green Twi’lek on the bunk above Jak, “He’s only eight!”

“Noticed it last week,” Mik confirmed, “He woke me up in the night…..must’ve been havin’ another nightmare and when I tried to wake him, he pushed at me with the Force.”

“You never felt it in him before?”

“Nope,” Mik shook his head, “Just Parkaar and Jak…...but it’s pouring off him now. There’s no way a Sith is gonna miss it.”

“That’s definitely trouble,” Drex frowned, his mind already working on ideas as he slipped out of bed and got down on the floor, “Any idea how much time we got?”

“Overseers made it sound like they’d be here tomorrow, but I didn’t wanna lurk in the hallway too long so I headed back here before I could find out anything else.”

“Probably for the best,” Drex grunted as he carefully slid under the bed to pull up the loose floorboard, “Last thing you need is to be on their radar….don’t want that Sith looking too closely at you.”

“Nah, I can just sense things here and there,” Mik assured his friend, “I’m not strong enough for that Sith to care about. Do you have enough credits in your stash?”

“Not for all of us, but should be enough to get those three away from here…...if we can find someone willing to help us.”

“Who’s gonna to help two teenagers get some kids off planet?” Mik pondered as Drex slid back out.

“Tess might,” Drex suggested, setting the old cigarra box on his bed as he looked over at the other bunks once again to make sure the others were still sleeping.

“The laundry lady from the village?”

“I’m pretty sure she’s sympathetic,” Drex nodded, dumping the contents of the box out.

“You sure you aren’t just thinkin’ that ‘cause you have a crush on her?” Mik teased, knowing that the fourteen year old Zabrak already had a fondness for pretty girls and the busty Human that lived nearby definitely qualified.

“I do love those redheads,” Drex grinned, “And don’t even try to deny that you’ve checked her out before.”

“Okay, you got me,” Mik murmured sheepishly, feeling his cheeks heat up when he remembered the last time he’d been the one sent to drop off the dirty stuff. Tess must’ve just put stuff in to dry because her tank top was damp and clinging very nicely to her body…..something that had left a lasting impression on the thirteen year old.

“Ha!” Drex snorted as he finished mentally tallying the chits, “Anyways, I’m willing to bet she’d help us if we slipped her some credits. The boys can have the rest of my stash to get off planet.”

“Think it’ll be enough?”

“Should be,” Drex answered, his jovial features sobering, “It’ll wipe me out though so I’ll have to start all over again…..might be awhile before you and I can bust outta here.”

“That’s okay…...better that we get the boys away before that Sith gets here.”

“Agreed,” Drex nodded, looking pensive as he continued, “One thing in our favor is that today happens to be laundry day…...and preparing for an inspection might help as well.”

“Overseers are going to be too distracted to check the bins very closely,” Mik smiled, thinking along the same lines as his crafty buddy, “and it happens to be my turn to ride along so I can make the deal with Tess while the overseer waits for me to unload the dirty bins from the truck and load up the clean stuff.” Then that smile faltered, “But the boss is gonna figure it out. Even if he doesn’t notice Parkaar and Zak missing, he’s definitely going to realize Jak is gone right away…...that’s the whole reason the Sith is coming after all.”

“Laundry isn’t the only thing going out today,” Drex reminded him, “The night shift is supposed to be loading a shipment right now…..heard Parkaar grumbling about it at dinner.”

“They have him loading crates now?!” Mik’s dark brows furrowed, but it didn’t surprise him really. Despite the fact that the Miraluka was only eleven, he’d recently hit a growth spurt and was nearly as tall as himself and Drex.

“I think they got sick of him having headaches from being in the mines too long,” Drex shrugged, “But that’s actually good…..they’ll assume he escaped with the shipment when they realize he’s missing. Takes the heat off Tess and if we’re questioned…”

“You know we’ll be questioned…..we share a room with all three of ‘em,” Mik snorted, his blue grey eyes narrowing at his friend, “and you tend to buck authority…..a lot!”

“I come out richer after every beating,” Drex reminded him, his back still a little sore from his last infraction. They didn’t want to risk losing a strong worker though so whenever he got whipped, they’d drag him to the camp doctor to be treated afterwards and he’d be picking pockets every step of the way. Willing to play the long game in order to get freedom, Drex tested the overseers often. Thanks to his high threshold for pain and quick hands, he’d amassed quite a bit over the past year. The other three occupants of the room knew about the secret stash and made sure to look out whenever Drex had to add to the box. The night shift crew that shared their room was clueless but he’d planned to take Parkaar with them after Mik admitted that the Mirakula was strong in the Force.

“I think both of us are gonna get a beating,” Mik sighed, not looking forward to that. He rarely got in trouble but thanks to his kind hearted nature, wasn’t a stranger to getting a whipping for stopping an overseer from hurting one of the younger kids.

“Unfortunately, I think you’re probably right about that,” Drex muttered grimly, “But that works in our favor too…...they’ll be more likely to believe us if we snitch after getting roughed up a bit.”

“Good point,” Mik conceded, “We’re gonna need a distraction though.”

“Already planned for that,” Drex assured him, holding up a small smoke grenade he’d stolen a while ago. “I’m on breakfast cleanup this morning…..smoke coming from the kitchens is bound to start a ruckus and bring the overseers runnin’ in.”

“The loading area is near the kitchens,” Mik mused, starting to feel hopeful for the first time, “Should be enough time to hide the boys in the cart…...just need to make sure they’re ready and know what to do.”

“You’ll need to get a controller for the shock collars,” Drex reminded him.

“There’s usually one in the truck,” Mik recalled, “I can grab that while Parkaar helps Jak and Zak into a bin. I’ll give him the controller when I help him into another bin. Probably take a couple minutes…..three tops.”

“You’ll definitely have that.”

“Then we’re set,” Mik sighed, stifling a yawn as he stood and glanced at the old chrono on their nightstand. “Three hours before the morning alarm goes off…….we should try and get some sleep.”

“I’ll set our alarm for a half hour before that,” Drex decided, “That’ll give us enough time to talk to Jak and Zak. You can fill Parkaar in at breakfast…..hopefully he’ll be able to stay awake after working all night.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Mik murmured, giving into the yawn as he climbed into his bunk.

~*~*~*~

“Drex,” Mik whispered again, this time gently nudging his friend’s broad shoulder, “Come on….wake up buddy!”

“Mik?” Drex murmured, amber eyes opening to see a familiar soldier hovering above him and he was suddenly thrown back ten years. The only difference was that the green skinned face now sported tattoos and two vivid perpendicular scars that barely missed his right eye. Also gone was the shaggy mess of black hair, replaced with a military high and tight, but Drex couldn’t blame his friend for not wanting to let his hair grow too long. After all, Rylen’s camp for Wayward Boys hadn’t exactly been concerned with haircuts and they were only allotted one shower a week. One of the first things both of them had done after finally being freed from that hellhole was to take the hottest, longest shower possible, then get a haircut. He had a long strip of hair that ran through the middle of the crown of horns on his head, but he always kept the light brown locks neatly in place with a simple silver clip on the back of his head. His brow furrowed for a moment when he glanced at the chrono.

“Yeah,” Mik grinned sheepishly, “Sorry to wake you so early, but you’re gonna thank me.”

“I have my doubts,” Drex grumbled as he sat up, “How’d you get in here anyway? I know I locked that door before I hit the sac.”

“You did, but I convinced the cantina owner that you had vital information to my mission and it was important that I speak to you ASAP.”

“Only in Spec Forces for a week and already throwing rank around,” Drex taunted, fighting a yawn as he shook out the pants he’d left hanging on the chair last night. Silently cursing that dirty thief Skavak for the hundredth time, he reluctantly pulled on the pants he’d worn all day yesterday. At least he had a clean shirt and he’d put on clean boxers after showering late last night. Unfortunately, that was the last of the clean clothing he always kept in his backpack.

“Karking Skavak,” he muttered harshly as he buttoned his shirt.

“I could try to see if I can snag you some stuff from the barracks,” Mik offered, knowing how much it bothered his buddy to wear anything dirty because he felt the same way after surviving three years in the mining camp.

“I’m going to see if I can get my dirty stuff cleaned today, but I could use another pair of pants if you can swing it,” Drex sighed as he pulled his boots on, “Somehow I don’t think that’s why you woke me at the buttcrack of dawn though.”

“Not quite,” Mik snickered, then he looked his friend in the eye, “Does the name Virk ring a bell?”

“As in Corporal Virk,” Drex tensed, anger flashing in those amber eyes, “the piece of bantha sh*t that got me kicked out of the Military Academy a month before I was going to graduate?!”

“He’s a Lieutenant now, but yeah….that same crooked son of a Hutt,” Mik confirmed. “And he’s still up to no good.”

“He tryin’ to frame you for something?”

“Worse,” Mik admitted, “He’s been running a bribery scheme with the men serving under him to get easier postings. A scared Private came to me about it a couple days ago, said his buddy tried to rat Virk out and ended up getting assigned to Mannet Point.”

“Not a good place right now,” Drex replied, “His buddy make it?”

“According to Farn, his friend was KIA the next day. Now Farn’s worried he’s next but he refuses to pay Virk off so he decided to report it to me.”

“Virk find out?”

“Yup,” Mik nodded, “I told Commander Tavus and Lieutenant Jorgan about it not long after Farn talked to me. Jorgan said he’d look into it, but I haven’t heard anything yet. Virk must’ve found out though and stopped me on my way into the barracks yesterday evening.”

“Does he know we’re friends?”

“I don’t think so,” Mik shook his head, “He didn’t seem to recognize me and I was in a different program from you at the Academy so I doubt he ever knew. A girl I had classes with absolutely hated him though and used to warn us to give him a wide berth. The only reason I really know him is because of what he did to you…...but now you have a shot at some payback.”

“Do tell,” Drex smiled coldly as he sat back down on the bed.

“Virk told me not to be surprised if I have an accident today so I’m guessing he’s having me followed and plans to ambush me at some point,” Mik explained. “I could easily report it to Tavus and Jorgan again but then I thought maybe we could set a little ambush of our own.”

“Oh, I’d be more than happy to show that bastard the business end of my shotgun,” Drex agreed, “Count me and my stealth generator in.”

“Good,” Mik nodded, “but maybe wait to shoot him. I’m thinking the two of you are long overdue for a heart to heart…..away from the fort when my armor cam begins automatically transmitting to HQ.”

“It would be nice to have that dishonorable discharge taken off my military record,” Drex mused, “and combined with his kickback scheme, he’s probably looking at a decent stint in military prison.”

“That enough retribution for you?” Mik raised a brow.

“It’s a start,” Drex chuckled as he dug the stealth generator out of his backpack and clipped it to his belt. He secured the blaster pistol in the holster on the other side and hooked the shotgun to the backpack. “Let’s grab some chow down in the cantina, then we can head out.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Author's Note: (Trooper Ord Spoiler)

I always hated Virk and hoped to give him a proper comeuppance at some point. I feel better now!

Edited by alaurin

@Jimcorpus: I definitely have to agree with your Smuggler......that is one really diverse crew!

Happy Friday everyone......you know what that means! Yup, time for a new prompt!!

Week of June 19, 2020:

Like a Child--No Inhibitions: We had the prompt Like No One’s Watching for your character indulging in some activity they liked but were embarrassed to engage in. This time, let them shed those inhibitions. Children do the things they love and don’t care who knows about it. Be it singing on the bus, wearing colors or patterns that “adults know” don’t match, eating the whole slice of cake because it tastes great, or making stories in their favorite make-believe world. This week, write a story where your character is going to have fun regardless of other’s opinions, or a time when they remembered being so free.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Something Borrowed--writers find inspiration everywhere, sometimes in other people’s fic. Not necessarily characters, though we had a prompt for that, too. Sometimes it’s a scene, or a description, a side character, or a setting. The name of a bureau, what the hyperspace vortex looks like, a slogan, or something else! The original TOR thread has been host to a number of collaborations recently, so let’s make it official. Write your story and be sure to note what you borrowed and from whom. Add a link to your inspiration if you can.

Breaking the Fourth Wall: These are a lot more meta than we usually explore; roll with them and have fun.

• Addressing the Audience: Characters aren’t supposed to acknowledge their audience. Suppose they did? How would they speak to all those who’ve been reading and enjoying their adventures? What might they say to the complainers?

• Addressing the Creator: If your character could say something about their writer, what would it be? Would they complain about something? Take the opportunity to give you a piece of their minds? Maybe ask for a favor? Or would they be grateful and thank you?

Jumping in the Puddle

The Iridonian was having the most fun she had in a week. Another batch of rain caused a puddle near some merchants. She did a little run then would jump into the puddle. Years ago as a child she would jump in puddles, one of the few enjoyments she could have as a slave. Now she could enjoy it without anyone bothering her. She still wore a provacative slave outfit, mocking the Sith society that a slave became one of the Dark Council members. She jumped up and came back into the puddle, laughing from the fun she was having. A light rain fell on her face, covered with red and black tattoos in the style of the Iridonians. She was enjoying herself, certainly more fun than a boring meeting. In fact she was having as much fun as shooting lightning at someone.

Shaking his head slowly from side to side not far from the puddle was standing a Dashade. He looked with total bewilderment and stunned. He was once a servant of Tulak Hord,, and never had to stand by and watch such silly behavior. Now he is the servant of this misfit who somehow had an incredible control of the darkside of the force. To challenge her was such a foolish endeaver, with him over the past years seeing his current master destroy so many opponents. Yet once again she does something that totally dismays him.

The Sith Lord jumped one last time and caused such a big splash. She walked towards the Dashade killer and stated "I'm done." She started walking to the building their home was, at the top of a building near the town square of Dromund Kaas.

"A bug is on your arm" the Dashade stated.

A quick thin bolt of lightning arched from her right hand and disintegrated the insect resting on her left arm, not affecting her at all. "Quiet" she replied back to her Dashade slave and entertaining historian.

Happy Friday!! Time for the new prompt to celebrate! I also wanted to let you all know that the Story Index and Prompt Archive are up to date.

Week of June 26, 2020:

Finders Keepers: Losers weepers! When has your character found something of value that was obviously not theirs? Did they keep it or make an effort to find the rightful owner? Maybe they only borrowed it for a time and returned it to where they found it (mostly) good as new. Are they ashamed of their actions or not at all worried; after all, losers weepers? Perhaps, in your character’s culture, it’s appropriate to keep a found item to help their own family or situation. If it was valuable to the original owner, they would have taken better care of it. What happens when the loser searches for their item and finds your character with it?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!!

Fish Out of Water: No one fits in everywhere. Even a well-travelled character, or one accustomed to shifting identities, can feel out of place. So how about yours? When has your character been in a truly alien, uncomfortable situation? Why were they so far out of their comfort zone? Did they wander into the wrong neighborhood? Did they miss important social cues or misinterpret what they saw? Write about a time when your character was the fish out of water.

Dialect and Accent: Everyone has one whether you're aware of it or not. Your words and how you say them reveal a lot about where you were born, where you grew up, what you like to read, or where and how you learned another language. What do your character's word choices tell about them? Does it mark them as ruling class, streetwise, coreward, rimward, immigrant, outsider, insider, or something else? Do they try to hide their unique pronunciation or revel in it? A source of shame or pride? Are they right and everyone else talks funny? Explore it!

Up until a few weeks ago, I'd been out of game for quite a while. I started to miss it though and my muse was showing signs of returning so I started some new characters to run through the old content to refresh my memory. A couple new legacies were born as a result and one of them inspired a story that's been taking up my thoughts for the past week....part of which I decided to share here. Hope any of you still reading these stories can forgive me for adding more characters and hopefully you all enjoy these boys.

Title: Sounds Like a Plan

Prompt: Friends, Flashbacks

Characters: Mikkyal O’Rourke-Trooper, Drexyn Dalov-Smuggler

Setting: Ord Mantell, Lothal

Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper Ord Mantell

A tall figure crept into the small room, the dim floor lights reflecting off the plating on his boots. Not wanting to shock his friend awake, he pressed the switch on the wall and a soft glow began to slowly light up the room. The Mirialan grinned at the tan skinned Zabrak sprawled on a bed that was obviously too small for his rather large frame. He noticed a blaster pistol resting next to the pillow, just inches away from that tattooed face. Then his gaze settled on the vivid scar running diagonally across his friend’s right eye and the soldier’s smile faltered as he was suddenly hit with a sense of deja vu. He could almost hear the hiss of a lightsaber being activated as the memories flooded him and for a brief moment, he nearly reconsidered waking the other man but decided to press on, knowing the spacer would appreciate settling an old score.

“Drex…..wake up!”

~*~*~*~

“Drex…..wake up!” a voice whispered frantically, the command easily waking the bed’s lanky occupant.

“Mik?” the Zabrak frowned, amber eyes narrowing as they focused in on the Mirialan leaning over him. He tensed at the worried look his friend’s face wore, “What’s goin’ on?”

“Trouble,” Mik answered softly, looking around to make sure the other boys that shared their room were still asleep despite the soft glow now filling the room from the floorlights he’d turned on.

“Talk to me,” Drex nodded as he sat up.

“I woke up a little bit ago…..had to pee,” Mik began as he sat next to Drex. “On the way back from the ‘fresher, I heard a couple overseers talkin’ downstairs.”

“And you decided to eavesdrop on the conversation,” Drex grinned, “Proud of you buddy…..usually you keep your nose clean.”

“Wasn’t planning on spying, but I got a bad feelin’ all the sudden.”

“Well, what did you hear?” Drex prodded, knowing that the other boy had a hint of Force sensitivity like most of his species.

“They were talkin’ ‘bout making sure the place would pass inspection,” Mik answered.

“No surprise there,” Drex shrugged, “Imps are due to pay the mines a visit.”

“Yeah, I know…..but here’s where it gets bad,” Mik continued, trying to keep his voice low despite the bombshell he was about to drop, “Overseers said the Imps were bringing a Sith with ‘em!”

“Kark!” Drex swore, his eyes darting to a bed across the room where a small Torgruta slept on. “I guess the boss decided to report Jak’s little accident.”

“I can’t think of any other reason they’d bring a Sith,” Mik agreed. “We need to get Jak outta here…...Parkaar and Zak too!”

“Zak?!” Drex’s gaze went to the pale green Twi’lek on the bunk above Jak, “He’s only eight!”

“Noticed it last week,” Mik confirmed, “He woke me up in the night…..must’ve been havin’ another nightmare and when I tried to wake him, he pushed at me with the Force.”

“You never felt it in him before?”

“Nope,” Mik shook his head, “Just Parkaar and Jak…...but it’s pouring off him now. There’s no way a Sith is gonna miss it.”

“That’s definitely trouble,” Drex frowned, his mind already working on ideas as he slipped out of bed and got down on the floor, “Any idea how much time we got?”

“Overseers made it sound like they’d be here tomorrow, but I didn’t wanna lurk in the hallway too long so I headed back here before I could find out anything else.”

“Probably for the best,” Drex grunted as he carefully slid under the bed to pull up the loose floorboard, “Last thing you need is to be on their radar….don’t want that Sith looking too closely at you.”

“Nah, I can just sense things here and there,” Mik assured his friend, “I’m not strong enough for that Sith to care about. Do you have enough credits in your stash?”

“Not for all of us, but should be enough to get those three away from here…...if we can find someone willing to help us.”

“Who’s gonna to help two teenagers get some kids off planet?” Mik pondered as Drex slid back out.

“Tess might,” Drex suggested, setting the old cigarra box on his bed as he looked over at the other bunks once again to make sure the others were still sleeping.

“The laundry lady from the village?”

“I’m pretty sure she’s sympathetic,” Drex nodded, dumping the contents of the box out.

“You sure you aren’t just thinkin’ that ‘cause you have a crush on her?” Mik teased, knowing that the fourteen year old Zabrak already had a fondness for pretty girls and the busty Human that lived nearby definitely qualified.

“I do love those redheads,” Drex grinned, “And don’t even try to deny that you’ve checked her out before.”

“Okay, you got me,” Mik murmured sheepishly, feeling his cheeks heat up when he remembered the last time he’d been the one sent to drop off the dirty stuff. Tess must’ve just put stuff in to dry because her tank top was damp and clinging very nicely to her body…..something that had left a lasting impression on the thirteen year old.

“Ha!” Drex snorted as he finished mentally tallying the chits, “Anyways, I’m willing to bet she’d help us if we slipped her some credits. The boys can have the rest of my stash to get off planet.”

“Think it’ll be enough?”

“Should be,” Drex answered, his jovial features sobering, “It’ll wipe me out though so I’ll have to start all over again…..might be awhile before you and I can bust outta here.”

“That’s okay…...better that we get the boys away before that Sith gets here.”

“Agreed,” Drex nodded, looking pensive as he continued, “One thing in our favor is that today happens to be laundry day…...and preparing for an inspection might help as well.”

“Overseers are going to be too distracted to check the bins very closely,” Mik smiled, thinking along the same lines as his crafty buddy, “and it happens to be my turn to ride along so I can make the deal with Tess while the overseer waits for me to unload the dirty bins from the truck and load up the clean stuff.” Then that smile faltered, “But the boss is gonna figure it out. Even if he doesn’t notice Parkaar and Zak missing, he’s definitely going to realize Jak is gone right away…...that’s the whole reason the Sith is coming after all.”

“Laundry isn’t the only thing going out today,” Drex reminded him, “The night shift is supposed to be loading a shipment right now…..heard Parkaar grumbling about it at dinner.”

“They have him loading crates now?!” Mik’s dark brows furrowed, but it didn’t surprise him really. Despite the fact that the Miraluka was only eleven, he’d recently hit a growth spurt and was nearly as tall as himself and Drex.

“I think they got sick of him having headaches from being in the mines too long,” Drex shrugged, “But that’s actually good…..they’ll assume he escaped with the shipment when they realize he’s missing. Takes the heat off Tess and if we’re questioned…”

“You know we’ll be questioned…..we share a room with all three of ‘em,” Mik snorted, his blue grey eyes narrowing at his friend, “and you tend to buck authority…..a lot!”

“I come out richer after every beating,” Drex reminded him, his back still a little sore from his last infraction. They didn’t want to risk losing a strong worker though so whenever he got whipped, they’d drag him to the camp doctor to be treated afterwards and he’d be picking pockets every step of the way. Willing to play the long game in order to get freedom, Drex tested the overseers often. Thanks to his high threshold for pain and quick hands, he’d amassed quite a bit over the past year. The other three occupants of the room knew about the secret stash and made sure to look out whenever Drex had to add to the box. The night shift crew that shared their room was clueless but he’d planned to take Parkaar with them after Mik admitted that the Mirakula was strong in the Force.

“I think both of us are gonna get a beating,” Mik sighed, not looking forward to that. He rarely got in trouble but thanks to his kind hearted nature, wasn’t a stranger to getting a whipping for stopping an overseer from hurting one of the younger kids.

“Unfortunately, I think you’re probably right about that,” Drex muttered grimly, “But that works in our favor too…...they’ll be more likely to believe us if we snitch after getting roughed up a bit.”

“Good point,” Mik conceded, “We’re gonna need a distraction though.”

“Already planned for that,” Drex assured him, holding up a small smoke grenade he’d stolen a while ago. “I’m on breakfast cleanup this morning…..smoke coming from the kitchens is bound to start a ruckus and bring the overseers runnin’ in.”

“The loading area is near the kitchens,” Mik mused, starting to feel hopeful for the first time, “Should be enough time to hide the boys in the cart…...just need to make sure they’re ready and know what to do.”

“You’ll need to get a controller for the shock collars,” Drex reminded him.

“There’s usually one in the truck,” Mik recalled, “I can grab that while Parkaar helps Jak and Zak into a bin. I’ll give him the controller when I help him into another bin. Probably take a couple minutes…..three tops.”

“You’ll definitely have that.”

“Then we’re set,” Mik sighed, stifling a yawn as he stood and glanced at the old chrono on their nightstand. “Three hours before the morning alarm goes off…….we should try and get some sleep.”

“I’ll set our alarm for a half hour before that,” Drex decided, “That’ll give us enough time to talk to Jak and Zak. You can fill Parkaar in at breakfast…..hopefully he’ll be able to stay awake after working all night.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Mik murmured, giving into the yawn as he climbed into his bunk.

~*~*~*~

“Drex,” Mik whispered again, this time gently nudging his friend’s broad shoulder, “Come on….wake up buddy!”

“Mik?” Drex murmured, amber eyes opening to see a familiar soldier hovering above him and he was suddenly thrown back ten years. The only difference was that the green skinned face now sported tattoos and two vivid perpendicular scars that barely missed his right eye. Also gone was the shaggy mess of black hair, replaced with a military high and tight, but Drex couldn’t blame his friend for not wanting to let his hair grow too long. After all, Rylen’s camp for Wayward Boys hadn’t exactly been concerned with haircuts and they were only allotted one shower a week. One of the first things both of them had done after finally being freed from that hellhole was to take the hottest, longest shower possible, then get a haircut. He had a long strip of hair that ran through the middle of the crown of horns on his head, but he always kept the light brown locks neatly in place with a simple silver clip on the back of his head. His brow furrowed for a moment when he glanced at the chrono.

“Yeah,” Mik grinned sheepishly, “Sorry to wake you so early, but you’re gonna thank me.”

“I have my doubts,” Drex grumbled as he sat up, “How’d you get in here anyway? I know I locked that door before I hit the sac.”

“You did, but I convinced the cantina owner that you had vital information to my mission and it was important that I speak to you ASAP.”

“Only in Spec Forces for a week and already throwing rank around,” Drex taunted, fighting a yawn as he shook out the pants he’d left hanging on the chair last night. Silently cursing that dirty thief Skavak for the hundredth time, he reluctantly pulled on the pants he’d worn all day yesterday. At least he had a clean shirt and he’d put on clean boxers after showering late last night. Unfortunately, that was the last of the clean clothing he always kept in his backpack.

“Karking Skavak,” he muttered harshly as he buttoned his shirt.

“I could try to see if I can snag you some stuff from the barracks,” Mik offered, knowing how much it bothered his buddy to wear anything dirty because he felt the same way after surviving three years in the mining camp.

“I’m going to see if I can get my dirty stuff cleaned today, but I could use another pair of pants if you can swing it,” Drex sighed as he pulled his boots on, “Somehow I don’t think that’s why you woke me at the buttcrack of dawn though.”

“Not quite,” Mik snickered, then he looked his friend in the eye, “Does the name Virk ring a bell?”

“As in Corporal Virk,” Drex tensed, anger flashing in those amber eyes, “the piece of bantha sh*t that got me kicked out of the Military Academy a month before I was going to graduate?!”

“He’s a Lieutenant now, but yeah….that same crooked son of a Hutt,” Mik confirmed. “And he’s still up to no good.”

“He tryin’ to frame you for something?”

“Worse,” Mik admitted, “He’s been running a bribery scheme with the men serving under him to get easier postings. A scared Private came to me about it a couple days ago, said his buddy tried to rat Virk out and ended up getting assigned to Mannet Point.”

“Not a good place right now,” Drex replied, “His buddy make it?”

“According to Farn, his friend was KIA the next day. Now Farn’s worried he’s next but he refuses to pay Virk off so he decided to report it to me.”

“Virk find out?”

“Yup,” Mik nodded, “I told Commander Tavus and Lieutenant Jorgan about it not long after Farn talked to me. Jorgan said he’d look into it, but I haven’t heard anything yet. Virk must’ve found out though and stopped me on my way into the barracks yesterday evening.”

“Does he know we’re friends?”

“I don’t think so,” Mik shook his head, “He didn’t seem to recognize me and I was in a different program from you at the Academy so I doubt he ever knew. A girl I had classes with absolutely hated him though and used to warn us to give him a wide berth. The only reason I really know him is because of what he did to you…...but now you have a shot at some payback.”

“Do tell,” Drex smiled coldly as he sat back down on the bed.

“Virk told me not to be surprised if I have an accident today so I’m guessing he’s having me followed and plans to ambush me at some point,” Mik explained. “I could easily report it to Tavus and Jorgan again but then I thought maybe we could set a little ambush of our own.”

“Oh, I’d be more than happy to show that bastard the business end of my shotgun,” Drex agreed, “Count me and my stealth generator in.”

“Good,” Mik nodded, “but maybe wait to shoot him. I’m thinking the two of you are long overdue for a heart to heart…..away from the fort when my armor cam begins automatically transmitting to HQ.”

“It would be nice to have that dishonorable discharge taken off my military record,” Drex mused, “and combined with his kickback scheme, he’s probably looking at a decent stint in military prison.”

“That enough retribution for you?” Mik raised a brow.

“It’s a start,” Drex chuckled as he dug the stealth generator out of his backpack and clipped it to his belt. He secured the blaster pistol in the holster on the other side and hooked the shotgun to the backpack. “Let’s grab some chow down in the cantina, then we can head out.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Author's Note: (Trooper Ord Spoiler)

I always hated Virk and hoped to give him a proper comeuppance at some point. I feel better now!

Nice story, especially mixing the trooper with the smuggler at Ord Mantell. Don't end this too quick. It would be interesting if the villain works alone, connected with Sith Empire, or Hutt Cartel, or Exchange. Also if ends surrenders, escapes, heroes kill him, accident falling in the lava, "accident" falling in the lava.

Happy Friday!! Time for the new prompt to celebrate! I also wanted to let you all know that the Story Index and Prompt Archive are up to date.

Week of June 26, 2020:

Finders Keepers: Losers weepers! When has your character found something of value that was obviously not theirs? Did they keep it or make an effort to find the rightful owner? Maybe they only borrowed it for a time and returned it to where they found it (mostly) good as new. Are they ashamed of their actions or not at all worried; after all, losers weepers? Perhaps, in your character’s culture, it’s appropriate to keep a found item to help their own family or situation. If it was valuable to the original owner, they would have taken better care of it. What happens when the loser searches for their item and finds your character with it?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!!

Fish Out of Water: No one fits in everywhere. Even a well-travelled character, or one accustomed to shifting identities, can feel out of place. So how about yours? When has your character been in a truly alien, uncomfortable situation? Why were they so far out of their comfort zone? Did they wander into the wrong neighborhood? Did they miss important social cues or misinterpret what they saw? Write about a time when your character was the fish out of water.

Dialect and Accent: Everyone has one whether you're aware of it or not. Your words and how you say them reveal a lot about where you were born, where you grew up, what you like to read, or where and how you learned another language. What do your character's word choices tell about them? Does it mark them as ruling class, streetwise, coreward, rimward, immigrant, outsider, insider, or something else? Do they try to hide their unique pronunciation or revel in it? A source of shame or pride? Are they right and everyone else talks funny? Explore it!

FINDERS KEEPERS

The young sith, once a slave, now a servant of Darth Zash, walked in the tall and deep tomb of the Sith Lord Naga Sadow. She walks on a path, making sure she doesn't come near the edge of the chasm that looked very deep. Dressed in her simple gray slave clothes, she walked to a flat area. Now able to see a path, on a thin rock that goes into the center of the area of the chasm, she noticed a glass cylinder with something in it. She walked cautiously on the path towards the cylinder. As she got close, she saw with electrical bursts around it a quite tall and nasty looking creature. Pale skin with sores on its body, the monster appeared in hibernation. She found a control to the right of what appeared a door.

"Not exactly a prospect for a boyfriend. I wonder if it knows more secrets about this place." She thought about the monster might attack her if she opens the door, but then why would it do that since she is so charming? She pushed a button then backed up, making sure she avoided the pile of Shyrack dung on the path.

The electrical bursts stopped, and the monster fell to the floor of the cylinder. As it stood up it said as it opened its eyelids to show yellow eyes "I await your command Master Tulak Hord."

"Ahh, your a little off there. Tulak Hord is, like, dead."

"What! You insignificant bug!"

"Dead. You know, like not breathing, rots in a grave, stuff gets stolen, spirit stalking in a crypt instead of enjoying itself on the beach. Been dead for like 2000 years."

"I shall kill you and devour your soul!"

The monster came at the young sith, She waited until it near the dung then suddenly horrific purple lightning came pouring from her fingertips. The monster could withstand with difficulty the lightning, but it lost its footing from the dung and fell. Another burst of lightning from the Sith and the monster slipped to the side, falling over but able to grab hold on the side to prevent falling deep into the chasm.

"When you get down there, can you check if there is some nice jewelry? I need a necklace" the Sith said in a mocking way to the monster.

"You are a treacherous one, little Sith. Help me and I will be your servant."

"Really?" She held a finger to her chin. "How much vacation time do you need?" she said in a satirical way.

"Ugh. I remit."

"Swear to the soul of your Tulak Hord you will be my faithful servant."

"What!" The monster yelled.

"It's a little dark down there. Think you need a flashlight?" she said in her charming mocking way.

"Very well. I swear to the soul of the great Tulak Hord that I will be your faithful servant."

While he was giving his oath, the young sith was walking to the door of the cylinder. She brought out a rope and tied it to the handle of the door, then walked calmly to the monster and tossed the other end to it. She could have extended a hand, but she didn't want it to pull her into the chasm. The monster grabbed onto the rope with one then two hands, then pulled itself onto the path.

"This shall be miserable" the monster said in a dejected way.

The young sith smiled at what she found. Finders Keepers. Her own servant.

"Ahh. Do you need some tissue? Quit whining. Your alive. You won't be stuck in a cave. Besides, murder and mayhem await."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on vacation in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan when I realized I forgot to put up last week's prompt and this week as well. Fingers crossed that I can get this through since the internet connection is spotty here. Also I'm struggling with the formatting so it's not going to be as pretty as it usually is.....

Week of July 3, 2020:

Bingeing: A character can binge on nearly anything: shows; music; information; books, stories, or poetry; or yes, even food. A first cousin to obsession, to binge implies something more primal. Whatever your character is bingeing on, it's likely something they enjoy and are almost powerless to stop without outside interference--say, running out of episodes. Write about a time when your character or someone they know binged on something.

Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!!

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Writer’s Revenge! “Do not annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you.” When looking for inspiration for a minor or background character, or even an important adversary, why not borrow the aggravating habits of someone familiar to you? The chatterbox co-worker who can’t stop telling stories--but none of them are interesting. The neighbor whose garage band meets daily--and loudly--at six in the morning. This week, take the best revenge on someone who irritates you: make them a character in a story. Death, of course, is optional. Have fun!

Kissing Frogs: Fandom often revolves around romantic pairs, especially finding "the one": your character's soulmate. Surely they don't find their soulmate on the first try. They must have had other relationships. Ones that didn't work out or didn't last. What happened? This week, write a story about one of the frogs your character kissed on the way to finding their prince/princess.

Now for the current prompt

Week of July 10, 2020:

Breaking Point: At some point, your character will have hit their breaking point. The last straw, crossed the line, they’ve had it with something, someone, or some situation, and aren’t going to put up with it anymore. Something has to change--so what is it? Mundane: the last straw with a job they hate. Relatable: their SO doing that thing (you know, that one thing). A larger issue that requires recruiting others who’ve also hit their breaking point, or a tiny one like the takeout place getting their food wrong for the last time. Write about your character reaching their breaking point and what they change in response.

Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!!

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Miracles and Wondrous Things - Star Wars is a universe with amazing high technology and an equally amazing mystical Force. Is there room between these two for a miracle? How would your character explain what defies explanation? Has he ever had to? What would she say to someone who disagrees? This prompt courtesy of Frauzet. Thanks, @frauzet!

Comfort Food: It might not be a favorite. It doesn't have to be from childhood, though it often is. It might not always be the same thing, depending on circumstances. Sometimes, preparation is as much a part of the comfort as consuming. When all else fails to dispel your character's demons, what food(s) do they turn to for comfort?

Edited by alaurin

The commando squad were surveying the slightly higher ground that was at a distance. The Major was told explicitly yesterday to not advance even though they had the advantage. Ord Mantell once again had a separatist movement. A couple of the commandos have been here before. They were yesterday to make their assault. Although the commandos were outnumbered, they had much superior skill compared to the separatists. However it was not to be. Republic Command was concerned if the separatists were attacked, there would be no chance of negotiations to end the hostilities. That probably came from some diplomat. Then last night happened. A civilian section that was thought to be far away that it wouldn't be in danger got attacked by an artillery round. Over thirty people died. The orphan building that had the children of parents who were recently killed by the separatist uprising was destroyed, with fifteen of the twenty children in it killed.

It was now morning. The squad was resting in their dropship until the explosion from the artillery. Their commander, a Major, put on his armor suit and grabbed his assault cannon. His Cathar Captain did likewise. The Major's wife, the medic for the unit, put on her armor then grabbed her sidearm and finally put on her medical supplies backpack. The Weequay demolitions expert armored up, grabbed his pack of explosives, then grabbed his rifle. The scout for the unit, a Gand that was a very good tracker, got his equipment and sniper rifle after he put on his armor. Finally, the two droids assigned to the commando unit powered up and were ready to follow their Major. They left there dropship and went to some ground with buildings for covering not far from the separatist encampment.

"This is no one's fault except mine for following foolish orders. I should have gone by my gut feeling and attacked last night. Those innocent people paid the price last night. That fault will be fixed on my authority and my authority only." The Major was mad at the separatists, mad at High Command, and mad at himself. Fifteen innocent children dead, not including the other people.

His captain answered "Ready." The others then responded "Ready."

"Major, I would like to thank you again for providing another encounter to improve my firing algorithm. I get so much more opportunities to increase my sniper skills than practically any other assassin droid."

"Lets focus at destroying that encampment so what happens last night doesn't happen again." The Major replied, not just to his assassin droid (sniper droid was the politically correct term used with civilians), but to all of his squad.

The morning star was rising behind the squad. The larger droid turned on his electronic countermeasures to disrupt the separatists electronics. The squad advanced on the separatists and started firing.

Within an hour, the encampment was destroyed. Half of the separatists were killed, half were lying on the ground stunned with cuffs on. An automated message with no signature was sent by the Major to a Republic Cruiser orbiting in space. The message stated that there were numerous prisoners at the coordinates they were at. Before a prisoner ship came into sight to get the prisoners, the commando squad left without leaving any sign they were the ones that attacked.

I'm finally back home where I have great WiFi so here's this week's prompt....apologies that it's a couple days late.

Week of July 17, 2020:

Second Thoughts: a close cousin to both regret and cold feet, second thoughts usually occur when the situation isn’t played out yet. Before your character decides to back out, and maybe isn’t all that sure they want to. Sometimes it’s just the voice of anxiety. Other times they’ve received new information and need to re-evaluate their course of action. Maybe there is no new information, but your character took a step back and considered the full ramifications of their choices. Write about a time your character had second thoughts, what they were about, and what they eventually decided to do.

Voice of Reason: In every group, for every plan, there's always one Voice of Reason, and their plan might be safest but not always best. Does your character listen? Do they plunge ahead anyway? Or are they the sane one trying to dissuade the rest from something reckless? Whose approach was right? What, in hindsight, might have been better?

Tired: Sleepy? Overworked? Bored? Or really Done With This Sh*t? Everyone gets tired, physically and mentally. What is your character tired of or from? Why? Do they fix it? Can they, or is it out of their control? Just don’t be too tired to write it.

Oops, got a little busy this weekend and forgot to put up the new prompt.....I'll remedy that now. Happy writing!!

Week of July 24, 2020:

Wakeup Juice: Every world, every culture, has their version of “that stuff everyone drinks in the morning, usually with breakfast.” What is your character’s favorite? Coffee? Tea? Hot chocolate? Fruit juice? Energy drink? Hair of the Dog (aka a dubious hangover cure)? This week, write a story centered on your character and their morning beverage of choice (or necessity).

Death Trap: A staple of everything from comic books to action movies. The villain captures the heroes and never just does away with them. No, there must be some complicated plan inevitably leading to the hero’s death, which they will manage to escape. In fact, death traps exist explicitly to be defeated and usually go along with the villain revealing their plan. It’s easy to laugh at this trope--why didn’t the villain just kill the hero? For some villains, it really is out of character. For others, for other genres, for other styles, it just works. It is a way to reveal details of a plan otherwise unavailable, to show the villain as overconfident, squeamish, or gruesome. Or to show the heroes as clever, prepared, with hidden associates in the villain’s pay, or just plain lucky. This week, do your Bond-villain worst.

Words of Wisdom: We’ve explored mentors and teachers and learning and advice. Now specifically: what words of wisdom did your character take to heart? Was there a particular quote he or she remembers? Why was it important? Because it proved true or was so abjectly wrong? Was it an intentional statement, or an offhand remark they’d be surprised anyone remembers? Write about it and why it’s important to your character.

• 1 month later...

I'm so very sorry for not keeping up lately, I'll remedy that now!

Week of July 31, 2020:

Disillusion: Disillusion requires an illusion to begin with. What was something your character believed or believed in, then learned it was not true, or at least not what they thought it was? They might find out their childhood hero is hardly heroic. Perhaps the position of power they aspired to--and later gained--wasn’t nearly as powerful as they thought. Or maybe it is, but the power wasn’t worth the price to get it. Their noble bloodline wasn’t, or they’re not really part of it. Maybe it's something smaller--the magician's magic was all a trick or their favorite band lip-syncs. Perhaps your character would prefer the lie and try to maintain it. Maybe they lose faith in the ones who deceived them. Perhaps your character is the one deceiving others. Write about your character learning (or admitting) an uncomfortable truth this week.

Skeletons in the Closet: What's that thing your character hopes no one ever finds? Some shameful Secret they'd just as soon remain a secret? Does anyone find out? What happens? What does your character imagine will happen? Is it reasonable, overblown, or conservative? While there are loads of things a character can be ashamed of, consider that shame is personal. What fatally embarasses your character might be no big deal to others or society at large. Alternately, it could be even worse now than when your character hid it in the first place. Rattle some skeletons in your character's closet this week.

Crossovers and Mashups: Imagine Captain America in the Clone Wars (Captain Republic and the Howling Commandos! Captain Empire!). Or the adventures of Han Solo, dashing rogue, and his best friend Chewbacca the genius-inventor-gorilla in a steampunk galaxy far far away. Padmé as Sleeping Beauty. Star Wars, the soap opera. Star Wars itself is a hodgepodge of bits and influences from ancient mythology, old-time serials, modern sci-fi, and everything in between. Explore some crossovers with other properties or genres and either OCs or canon characters.

Week of August 7, 2020:

Sentimental Value: We’ve covered heirlooms, inheritance, and souvenirs, but what about things with value only your character can assign? What’s something your character keeps for its sentimental value alone? Something that sparks good memories. Something that makes them think of a particular event, place, or person. It could be a loved childhood toy, a photograph, a book, anything at all. They might even keep something that reminds them of a bad event or time--one they overcame or survived. Write about something that holds sentimental value for your character.

Passing On-“How we face death is at least as important as how we face life.” No one is truly immortal. Even those who have conquered aging and disease still have to deal with the inevitable dangers of combat and the perils of an adventuring life. What happens when death finally catches up with your character? Does a near miss give them pause, an unwelcome reminder of mortality? Do they go out with a bang, a whimper, or quietly in their sleep? What happens to the ones left behind? This prompt courtesy of @clevermird. (Quote courtesy Star Trek 2, The Wrath of Khan, at the risk of crossing fandom streams.)

Never Going There and That's Final! Until, of course, they have to. What place does your character avoid? Is it a single, physical place? A city, county, or planet? A type of place: Zoos, spooky dark forests filled with snakes, buffet restaurants? Why do they hate it? There must be a reason, however irrational. Now put them there anyway. Tell the story of why and how they ended up someplace your character swore they'd never go to under any circumstances, and what happened after.

Week of August 14, 2020:

Out of Touch: When has your character been out of touch, and how? Did they drop out of contact with their friends and family? Why? What interfered? Maybe they are always out of step with cultural norms: missing jokes and references and classically “out of touch.” Is this a choice? A facet of their personality? Were they removed from the larger culture for some reason and now miss everyone’s references and make ones no one remembers? Are they from the future, having learned of the present only from books? From the past, unmoored in their new world? A character can be out of touch in a number of ways. Explore some this week.

Once in a Lifetime: Some things only come around once. A show, a natural phenomena, an opportunity. Grab it, enjoy it, experience it while it’s here or available, because your character won’t ever have another chance. What is a once-in-a-lifetime event for your character? Are they able to take advantage of, appreciate, or participate in it? What happens afterwards?

Parties: Every culture has social functions. For celebrating holidays, for marking special occasions, for fun. What does your character think of them? Are they an avid participant or a wallflower? Throw their own party at the drop of a hat, or have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to a not-exactly-optional affair? Arrive early and stay late, or put in a brief appearance and slip away as soon as possible? Are the parties they host the place to be seen, the talk of the town, where anyone who is anyone simply has to be? Or are they low key, private, and invitation only? What about crashing a party--or dealing with the crashers? A combination of any and all these things? In this week of celebrations of various kinds, write about your character’s social scene.

Edited by alaurin

Week of August 21, 2020:

The Letter of the Law: The law can work for or against your character. A literal reading might get your character off the hook--or sink it in more firmly. On the other hand, your character might use a close interpretation to their advantage: forcing authorities to actually follow their procedures, or abiding by regulations to the letter and causing perfectly legal delays. Characters of all stripes can twist the law to their ends. We’ve had a prompt for law, but this is more specific: following it. In particular, following the law exactly as written.

Forever Will It Dominate Your Destiny - Darkness is the figurative and literal opposite and complement to light. Whether it's the physical state, the Dark Side, or some kind of ignorance, we may find darkness concealing what we need, dirtying what it touches, or hiding on the unexpected flip side of something. Write about your character's interaction with darkness. Thank you, @brightephemera, for this prompt.

Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be. Whether borrowing money, your sister's clothes, your mother’s starship, or living on borrowed time, everyone borrows things. What happened when your character did? Did he lose it? Break it? Have a heck of a time giving it back in one piece? Or was your character the lender? Was the item ever returned or the credits paid back? What kind of condition was it in? Write about a time your character borrowed or lent out something. Prompt courtesy of @clevermird.

And now for this week's new prompt! Happy Friday and happy writing!!

Week of August 28, 2020:

The Spirit of the Law: Last week your character used the law as written to get what they want, for good or ill. This week, have them interpret the law as they believe it is supposed to be followed or enforced. Maybe all those procedures have a purpose, but mostly keep people from using the services or getting the protection they need. Maybe it should protect the vulnerable--but it’s not written that way. Maybe it’s outdated and no longer relevant to current times without some creative interpretation. This week, have your character uphold the intent--as they understand it--behind the law.

Smuggler's Blues: Has your character trafficked in less-than-legal items? Even by accident? What was it? Drugs? Stolen merchandise? Banned books? People? Translated media that isn't officially available in that language? Fruit, vegetables, plants, or animals that aren't allowed to leave their country of origin, or aren't allowed into the destination? Cheese? Maybe your character purchased smuggled items. Maybe they're the smuggler. There are plenty of reasons for someone to circumvent import restrictions here on Earth and at least as many elsewhere and when. Surely there's a story in it.

The Last Straw: Your character’s companions don’t rubber-stamp your decisions. They agree or disagree to a greater or lesser extent. And, sometimes, they leave. It’s unlikely to come as a complete surprise, but even so there was probably one incident, one particular choice, that drove them away. How does your character deal with it? Are they forgiving or vengeful? How does the companion make their exit? Do they confront your character or just leave without a goodbye? What are their reasons, and does your character consider them reasonable? What was the companion’s last straw?

Yay, it's Friday and I'm on time with the prompt even!! Have a great weekend and happy writing!

Week of September 5, 2020:

Last Chance: It’s your character’s last chance...for what? To prove their loyalty or worth? To pass a class? Get something they really want, or avoid something they really don’t? Maybe it’s nothing so serious. It’s the last chance to get a good deal or a discount at their favorite store. To get their favorite seasonal treat. It’s the Last Chance Summer Dance, and then everyone (including someone they’ve been pining for) goes back home. Perhaps your character is the one offering someone else a last chance. However you interpret it, this week won’t be your last chance to write it.

What Might Have Been: Almost everyone wonders how their life might have turned out if they’d made different choices, been born in different circumstances, or combination of both. How does your character answer this question? Suppose they were cast in a different role in your story or as another one of your characters? How would their lives be different? How would your story be different? Explore what might have been with your character this week, either as a dream, a discussion with another character, or a full-blown AU. Thanks to Lady_Thorne and Lord_Thorne on the SWTOR forums for this prompt.

Inheritance -- We’ve looked at antiques and heirlooms our characters possess. We’ve looked at legacies, both as a game mechanic and as something your character hopes to leave behind. But what about things they inherit? The things that follow them whether they like it or not. A noble or reviled name? Some nebulous family curse (mother never did say what it entailed). Maybe they’re heir to a throne they don’t want, or were passed over for one they desperately did. Perhaps it’s the family farm, the family business, or perhaps it’s literally nothing at all. What sorts of things have your characters inherited, and how did they deal with them? Prompt courtesy of LaxKnight.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Alaurin -- Just checking to see if you're OK. I haven't been good about writing things for a few years (my mom was sick, and passed away recently) - but I notice you were really good about posting prompts, and then nothing, for over a month. I should have checked in sooner!

Anyhow, hoping you're well.

Hi Lady_Thorne! Thanks so much for checking in, I'm doing good but just got very busy with kids school stuff and work. Sorry to hear about your loss. :( Many apologies for getting so behind again and I will try to get the prompts caught up when I get home later this afternoon. Hope everyone is well! Edited by alaurin

Time to get the prompts caught up as promised.....again, I'm so sorry to get behind again!

Week of September 11, 2020:

What You Take With You: Some characters travel light, with few things to call their own. Others are surrounded with trappings of class and station, or just plain old stuff. Of all this, what is most important? What would they take with them if they had only a few hours or minutes to decide? What things did they think were indispensable only to discover that, in an emergency, they’re really not? What would they give anything to save but can’t, for whatever reason? What precious things do they leave and realize only later are gone forever? Your character can’t bring everything this time, so what do they bring and what do they leave behind?

Bring on the Gary Stus/Mary Sues: The term arose from a Star Trek fanfiction and used to mean an impossibly perfect character whose story warps the canon characters. It's come to mean any "perfect" character, all too often female regardless of competency. Sometimes that's fun! Complex heroes are great, but not everyone needs a tragic flaw or background angst. More to the point, characters can be the way we wish we were, or could be, even when we know we aren’t. Someone who models behavior, morals, or capabilities we aspire to, realistic or not. After all, no one calls Superman/Clark Kent a Gary Stu.

Marketing - Somebody’s always trying to sell our characters something. Ads, promotions, coupons, flashy events, and more try to attract footsteps and wallets. Sometimes our characters are trying to sell something – be it services, unwanted equipment, or a cargo hold’s worth of hot merchandise. Besides all that, somebody’s got to be the face of advertising campaigns. Sometimes the advertising is right on and sometimes it’s…exaggerated. Write about your character’s experience with marketing.

Week of September 18, 2020:

Last Resort: Things have Gotten Real, all the other plans have failed, now it’s the last resort. The final thing to try before failure. So what is it? What went wrong? Is it a serious, life-or-death situation or is your character trying to rescue a nearly-ruined cooking attempt (which might, after all, be life-threatening). Is your character the one their friends or superiors call on as their last resort? How do they rescue the situation? Do they?

Power! Given this blog started in a Star Wars fandom, it’s surprising this prompt never appeared before. What does your character consider power and how do they pursue it? Just as important: why? Some seek power for its own sake but most have an agenda. Are they a reformer? Do they want to change the system they're part of to fit their vision? Do they want the ability to destroy whomever they view as enemies? A secure enough position to voice their opinions without backlash, or at least without fearing the consequences? Do they gain power despite not wanting it, because their fellows see them as a leader? Or are they seeking more mundane power? A ship fast enough to outrun the authorities? Superpowers: magic, reality-bending abilities, flight (if they can’t already), telepathy, or teleportation?

Downtime: Our characters have plenty of responsibilities. But what do they do when there’s nothing pressing? What fills those little spaces between committee meetings, the time between jobs or assignments, the days in hyperspace en route to the next big crisis? We’ve looked at both hobbies and vacations, let’s take a look at something a little less organized. How does your character fill their downtime? This prompt suggested by DoctorToDannyBoy.

Week of September 25, 2020:

Last Day: Is it your character’s last day of vacation? Their last day in their job or position before moving on to a new one? The last day of school? Last day at home before leaving on a long journey, taking up a difficult task, or beginning a new life? Does your character even know it’s their last day, or is it only in hindsight that they realize it? Known last days might be bittersweet in the moment--your character intentionally taking in all the things they know they’ll miss while also anticipating (or fearing) the future. Ones that sneak up are often the opposite--filled with banality that becomes precious (or full of regret) in memory. How does your character celebrate their last day?

Love Letters and Secret Valentines - How do our characters stay in touch with the ones they love when they are far apart? Did they write romantic messages while they were courting? Has a new companion stumbled on some cherished correspondence with an old flame? Perhaps they never worked up the courage to express their feelings except in unsent letters or anonymous notes. In a romantic mood, what would your character write and to whom? Prompt courtesy of @alaurin101

Forgiveness: Harder than it sounds. It’s easy to focus on whether someone deserves forgiveness, or whether the person tried to make amends. But forgiveness happens in the heart of the person wronged, nowhere else. When has your character forgiven another, and for what? When were they the one who begged forgiveness? Did they receive it? Did they offer it? Why? Or do they hold a grudge for all time?

Week of October 2, 2020:

Time Flies (Except When it Doesn't): It’s October? Already? When has your character seriously misjudged the passage of time? Was the party over before they realized? Did they miss their curfew or an important appointment because they were so engaged in an activity? Did the council meeting or visit with grandma last 497 years? Write about a time when your character was so engaged time flew by--or a time when it felt like it stopped.

Happy Together: Your character encounters numerous others in their story. Who’s special? Who is the one they just want to see happy, preferably with them? It could be their SO but it doesn’t have to be; happiness comes in all flavors and sizes and doesn’t have to involve romance. Or, for that matter, even being outwardly nice. There are lots of relationships (fictional or otherwise) where observers would never know how much the people involved respect and care for each other given how often they throw insults around. This week, write your character and another happy together, in whatever form that happiness takes.

Synchronicity - Sometimes coincidences happen up close and sometimes they happen lightyears away. Sometimes it’s a plan clicking into place and sometimes it’s totally unintended. Sometimes it makes things seem like they’re meant to be…sometimes it makes it seem like they’re really not. Write about a time very similar events happened to your characters at the same time and possibly at a distance.

And now for the current prompt......happy writing!

Week of October 9, 2020:

“Cuffing Season”: Supposedly, in the early fall (Octoberish to February, or March to August, depending on your Earthly location), people begin pairing off for the winter months. Sometimes the relationships last, but mostly they break up with the ice in spring, past the cold weather and gatherings where companions might be expected. Is there a similar time in your character’s world? Do they want a cuddle buddy for the winter-slash-social gathering-season? Do they happen to find a relationship at that time, regardless of whether they were looking? Maybe they’re out of sync with everyone else and break up instead. Are they then desperate enough to lower their standards? A lot? Maybe they’re not at all interested and watch the spectacle with amusement.

...And Taxes- It’s said that death and taxes are the only certainties. We covered death in a recent prompt, so how about taxes? Both the Empire and Republic are huge, with countless fees, license requirements, and just plain old taxes. Hutt space is independent, but it still has to run. Does your character accept taxes as part of the cost of doing business, find ways to minimize the bill, or skip it altogether and hope no one notices? Write about your character’s encounters with taxes, fees, tariffs, and other means of government fund-raising.

The Fine Print: Any Bounty Hunter knows better than to sign anything from Gault without reading it first. Still there may have been contracts our OCs wish they hadn't signed. What details did they miss? Was it something small and insignificant, even humorous? Something major and problematic? How did they inconvenience your character? Did they get back at the beings who made the contract and took advantage of them? Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on? Something else? Was the contract more akin to our familiar Terms of Service Agreements that no one reads deciphers anyway? Did they fulfill the contract or did they renege? Why? This week consider what may be hiding in the fine print and how it affects your character.