Levelling gear in 7.0

Craig_Mitchell

I've heard rumors that the current levelling gear (Apprentice/Accurate/Cunning, Requisitioned, Tarnished, Aftermarket, Carbon-Scored, Decorated, Battle-Scarred, Toxic, Thermal, Unleashed, Visionary, Corellian, Crystalline, Fractured, Yavin) will be scrapped/made unobtainable with 7.0

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? Some of these sets have rather unique skins or colors that are nigh (or completely) unobtainable otherwise.

Not to mention that (in my testing), this group of gear is the only group that switches to the Republic variant when worn by a companion in a cutscene.

I've heard rumors that the current levelling gear (Apprentice/Accurate/Cunning, Requisitioned, Tarnished, Aftermarket, Carbon-Scored, Decorated, Battle-Scarred, Toxic, Thermal, Unleashed, Visionary, Corellian, Crystalline, Fractured, Yavin) will be scrapped/made unobtainable with 7.0

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? Some of these sets have rather unique skins or colors that are nigh (or completely) unobtainable otherwise.

This is a big question for me too! I only tested Korriban and I would very much like to know if it holds true for the rest of the planets. On Korriban the main pieces of the old sets Apprentice Pummeler 1 & 2 were replaced with half of a Korriban set that looked similar to this. Since they are replace 2 sets with 1, the new set was lvl restricted to 7, so you can't equip it until you are half way done with the planet. On the PTS the side quests still dropped the old Apprentice pieces, but the main pieces were no longer available. I assume on live those will be replaced with the missing pieces of Korriban gear.

The Korriban heroics continued to reward Requisitioned gear (which matches the quest gear from Dromund Kaas). I did not run any flashpoints at that level, so I do not know if they currently drop the same gear or not.

Quick primer to current leveling gear:

The starter planets have 2 gear sets per class. Some are reskins, some modified reskins, some unique. They are bind on pickup. Toward the end of the story you receive a modifiable legacy weapon, which was still being rewarded on the PTS.

Each planet has a set of green gear for each class acquired from quests. (for example Requisitioned) The main pieces are from the class quests, but the rest are in planetary arcs and side quests. They are bind on pick up. Most of the time the sets are the same for all advanced classes, but on occasion there are differences.

Heroics & conquest rewards have matching blue gear based on your level. They match the level appropriate planet. (for example Requisitioned MK-2 for lvl 10-16) Also bind on pickup. It can be extremely difficult to collect sets from heroics since the rewards are random and leveling is so fast. Heroics do not have the matching main hand weapons, only off hands.

Flashpoints drop purple sets that match about half of the leveling sets. For example Requisitioned MK-3, but not Tarnished) They are bind on equip and do include the main hands. You will be lucky to get one or two pieces before out-leveling the level bracket, but since they are boe they can be bought on the GTN. ( I thought TorFashion had a list, but Exile changed the format awhile ago and I can't find it. MK-3s: Requisitioned, Aftermarket, Decorated, Thermal, Crystalline, Fractured & Yavin.)

Can someone from Bioware please answer this? If you're going to make cosmetic items unobtainable, especially such a large quantity of them, this should at least be announced in advance. Making outfits is an important part of the game to some of us.

Right now I'm assuming the worst and planning to delete the game on Dec. 14.

Can someone from Bioware please answer this? If you're going to make cosmetic items unobtainable, especially such a large quantity of them, this should at least be announced in advance. Making outfits is an important part of the game to some of us.

Right now I'm assuming the worst and planning to delete the game on Dec. 14.

Curious... Why didn't you delete the game when 6.0 launched with no way to acquire the Galactic Command Crate cosmetic shells? Thirty two sets of (mostly) nice-looking armour, and a weapon to go with each set, all BoP.

Or, indeed, the Eternal Commander MK-1X, Iokath MK-X and GEMINI MK-X sets from Galactic Command? (Eternal Commander MK-3 is still available in the Master's Datacron armour bundle.)

Curious... Why didn't you delete the game when 6.0 launched with no way to acquire the Galactic Command Crate cosmetic shells? Thirty two sets of (mostly) nice-looking armour, and a weapon to go with each set, all BoP.

Or, indeed, the Eternal Commander MK-1X, Iokath MK-X and GEMINI MK-X sets from Galactic Command? (Eternal Commander MK-3 is still available in the Master's Datacron armour bundle.)

I only started playing during KoTET and didn't reach max level until after the release of Onslaught, so I actually wasn't even aware of the existence of the Galactic Command sets until after they were gone. I found out at the same time that Bioware promised to add them to a vendor, although it's taken them a long time to keep that promise. If they add the leveling sets to a vendor I'll be fine with that as well. Not that any of this is relevant, since they still ought to communicate these changes regardless of anything I do or don't do.

• Dev Post

Hi Craig_Mitchell,

I'm confirming that what you've listed will not be available. However, most, if not all of their appearances are going to be re-used for the new gear coming in 7.0. If there happens to be some that are not available, we would like to bring those back in the future.

With the creation of Combat Styles, changes needed to be made to the gear rewarded during your Class Story to ensure players would always receive a useable item that matched the proper appearance. To solve this we've created a new set of leveling gear that uses an appearance based on your Origin Story. So if you are a Smuggler playing with a Sniper Combat Style, you will receive gear that fits Smuggler visuals. Gear appearances are unique per Origin Story and per Planet you visit. This new gear will be Bind on Pickup.

As a note, a future goal we would like to achieve is to add cosmetic versions of all Origin Story visuals to planetary vendors as Bind to Legacy items so players can have more freedom to customize themselves or their companions.

Hi Craig_Mitchell,

I'm confirming that what you've listed will not be available. However, most, if not all of their appearances are going to be re-used for the new gear coming in 7.0. If there happens to be some that are not available, we would like to bring those back in the future.

With the creation of Combat Styles, changes needed to be made to the gear rewarded during your Class Story to ensure players would always receive a useable item that matched the proper appearance. To solve this we've created a new set of leveling gear that uses an appearance based on your Origin Story. So if you are a Smuggler playing with a Sniper Combat Style, you will receive gear that fits Smuggler visuals. Gear appearances are unique per Origin Story and per Planet you visit. This new gear will be Bind on Pickup.

As a note, a future goal we would like to achieve is to add cosmetic versions of all Origin Story visuals to planetary vendors as Bind to Legacy items so players can have more freedom to customize themselves or their companions.

Thank you for letting us know what is going to happen with these sets. I understand the reason for the change so that you can tie the appearances to origin story rather than combat style, but I hope that you really do reuse all of the same appearances for the new gear so that none of them become unobtainable. Adding cosmetic versions to the planetary vendors is a great idea and I hope you implement this sooner rather than later.

Is there any chance that the new gear will avoid the bug which makes the current sets display incorrectly when worn by companions in certain cutscenes?

Hi Jackie,

thank you very much for your answer, even if it's not the one I was hoping for. :sul_frown:

Would it be possible to give the same treatment to the old (read: pre-4.0) FP, PvP, quest and world drop sets? There were some sets that have no lookalike/recolored variants, like the Voss-tier RD/TH/TT-16B sets for Troopers and Bounty Hunters.

I am glad to hear that those gear appearances will still be around if obtained in a different manner.

The PTS had some really whacky loot drops from quests (not scaled to your level etc) while levelling so hopefully those were just placeholders while this new origin story gear is implemented.

Cosmetic legacy bound versions of all origin story visuals as planetary vendors sounds really nice!

Hi Craig_Mitchell,

AND!! What about the cosmetic gear that is currently being worn? I spent hundreds on CC's for gear that my toons are wearing as costumes. Are you intending to make it so that these can no longer be used as well? Just wondering if I need to retain a lawyer for a blatant rip off or not.

Hi Craig_Mitchell,

Does this mean that the current mods, armorings, and enhancements, available from the vendors on fleet for levels less than 75 are also going away? I use the DvL EXP boost armor, that I earned during the DvL event, to level my toons, changing out the mods, armorings, and enhancements as I level. If you remove this ability from the game it will be a game breaker for me. I am already upset over the proposed changes coming with 7.0, this just might be the final straw for me.

AND!! What about the cosmetic gear that is currently being worn? I spent hundreds on CC's for gear that my toons are wearing as costumes. Are you intending to make it so that these can no longer be used as well? Just wondering if I need to retain a lawyer for a blatant rip off or not.

Calm down. Regardless of any question of the future availability of current gear and/or its looks, they've never removed existing gear from the game. It has sometimes become impossible to acquire, but the looks and the items have never been removed from existing characters. (Some other games have done that for appearances, notably Allods Online, where old gear seemed to get progressively plainer in appearance as time went by, but not SWTOR. Those Command Crate cosmetics from the 5.X time still exist and can still be used. They're a bit on the expensive side on the GTN, of course, but they are still there.)

This thread is about the gear that you get in game as mission rewards from planetary storylines and sub-61 heroics, like the requisitioned, tarnished, unleashed, &c. Nothing to do with cartel market stuff. Not even sure how you arrived at that misunderstanding based on what has been posted tbh.

The thing to watch out for is that on the PTS, all appearances were reset. With a complete rebuild of the Outfitter UI, it is very likely that will occur when it goes live. If you do not have the physical item in your inventory (or the ability to craft it, and that is not for certain), you will lose the appearance from designer and must re-stamp with an actual physical item. This applies to dyes as well if they are not physically attached to an item of gear in your inventory.

the thing to watch out for is that on the pts, all appearances were reset. With a complete rebuild of the outfitter ui, it is very likely that will occur when it goes live. If you do not have the physical item in your inventory (or the ability to craft it, and that is not for certain), you will lose the appearance from designer and must re-stamp with an actual physical item. This applies to dyes as well if they are not physically attached to an item of gear in your inventory.

cm ftw

The thing to watch out for is that on the PTS, all appearances were reset. With a complete rebuild of the Outfitter UI, it is very likely that will occur when it goes live. If you do not have the physical item in your inventory (or the ability to craft it, and that is not for certain), you will lose the appearance from designer and must re-stamp with an actual physical item. This applies to dyes as well if they are not physically attached to an item of gear in your inventory.

Aaaargh. This is another thing that should be announced beforehand. I always keep everything so that shouldn't be an issue, but now I need to take screenshots of all my numerous outfits for reference. This will really cause problems for people if they have outfits with items they no longer own or dyes stamped directly in the outfitter though....

That has nothing to do with the update, it happens every time you do a character copy to the PTS or a transfer on the live servers.

Calm down. Regardless of any question of the future availability of current gear and/or its looks, they've never removed existing gear from the game. It has sometimes become impossible to acquire, but the looks and the items have never been removed from existing characters. (Some other games have done that for appearances, notably Allods Online, where old gear seemed to get progressively plainer in appearance as time went by, but not SWTOR. Those Command Crate cosmetics from the 5.X time still exist and can still be used. They're a bit on the expensive side on the GTN, of course, but they are still there.)

And they getting readded with a vender when 7.0 drops

That has nothing to do with the update, it happens every time you do a character copy to the PTS or a transfer on the live servers.

That is absolutely not true. When I did 6.x PTS and transferred characters from live to PTS, the outfits were retained and did not need to be re-stamped.

Hi Craig_Mitchell,

Is there any chance the stygian battlemind lightsaber appearance(and sound) would be among those? its the rarest lightsaber with an almost never used appearance(for modables tho I suppose less important with the weapons being added to outfitter) and sound

That is absolutely not true. When I did 6.x PTS and transferred characters from live to PTS, the outfits were retained and did not need to be re-stamped.

Must have been a bug with yours because mine were reset. It’s the same when you do a transfer from server to server. There is an actual warning that states your outfits in outfitter will be reset.

Of course that doesn’t mean that everyone’s outfits won’t be reset with this new UI. I too have thought that could be definite possibility.

I wonder if we can ask JackieKo to double check that for us so we know to write down what our outfits are or take screen shots before the expansion.

I’ve 16 outfits per Alt and I’ve 80+ Alts with distinct outfits. I would be very annoyed if I lost them without being able to screen shot each one to remake them.

So Jackie, if you’re still reading, can you please check to confirm we will or won’t need to remake our outfits.

Edited by TrixxieTriss