Season 13 and the Future of PvP

ChrisSchmidt

Correction:

We will be extending the Deserter queue lockout to Unranked matches.

[/color]

I for one, look forward to the new meta of standing in the corner of every Vandin and Quesh pop in stealth.

Great change, you truly have your finger on the pulse of the community needs.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correction:

Yes.

But.. why?

Unranked matches rarely suffer from any issues with leavers, and even if so they get backfilled pretty quickly

I'm sorry but this isn't going to stop me from leaving maps I don't like. It is however more likely to make me stop playing entirely if I get back to back maps I really don't want to play

Can we like, forget this change was ever proposed and just not go through with it?

Its trying to fix an issue that doesn't exist

Edited by Evolixe

Yeah, personally not a fan of the change to require winning for ranked missions. There is already an issue with people not being incentivized to get into ranked, due to the huge skill gap between unranked and ranked. One filled with people you could theoretically farm for kills, and the other being filled with people who are able to global you if you mess up. I personally rarely play ranked due to this gap. I find I am decent at unranked, but it isn't the same level of play as ranked. I need more practice so where do I go? I could do pre-made challenges, however that requires other players to be willing to play with zero rewards. Or I can jump into ranked, and get vote kicked in round 3. So, I do ranked and try to win, because I actually want to win, but when you are the weakest link there is a high chance you will be losing more than winning. Again, I personally am fine with losing and learning from my loss, that is the basic premise of any PVP in gaming, or just challenges in general. Maybe I am overthinking this and it will be fine, but I think there is an issue with ranked and removing more incentives to the lower skilled to join in, it just reinforces the exclusivity of ranked pvp, increasing queue times, and killing the player base.

Maybe just add more rewards for winning rounds (tech frags).

Agree. IDK who thinks it will help queue... this will kill the queue. Try to see ranked PvP on twitch. People can spend hours without wins and now it's a complete waste of time. And with this queue will be even slower. Terrible change.

But.. why?

Unranked matches rarely suffer from any issues with leavers, and even if so they get backfilled pretty quickly

I'm sorry but this isn't going to stop me from leaving maps I don't like. It is however more likely to make me stop playing entirely if I get back to back maps I really don't want to play

Can we like, forget this change was ever proposed and just not go through with it?

Its trying to fix an issue that doesn't exist

I do believe the deserter buff is helpful and deserved. However, there needs to be more systems in place to dissolve the reason people leave in the first place other than being a quitter.

There is no better example to rip off from than WoW....

-Enable the ability to target specific WZ.

-Have a random WZ queue that gives and extra reward.

-Have the ability to black list 1 or 2 WZ from the Random WZ list

Most importantly. Combine all the servers into one large battle group. SWTOR pvp is not healthy enough to have any of the player pools segregated from one another.

They are treating the symptom not the cause.

Edited by Diefexor

Correction:

Yes.

If you're going to introduce a deserter penalty for unranked, then you need to allow us to select which warzones we want to queue for (even if it's just by type). I for one would never queue for an arena again.

I do believe the deserter buff is helpful and deserved. However, there needs to be more systems in place to dissolve the reason people leave in the first place other than being a quitter.

There is no better example to rip off from than WoW....

-Enable the ability to target specific WZ.

Most importantly. Combine all the servers into one large battle group. SWTOR pvp is not healthy enough to have any of the player pools segregated from one another.

They are treating the symptom not the cause.

Merging with servers from halfway across the world isnt going to work. I for one dont see the lot of us playing on the same server as americans and not lag the **** out. There is a reason there are regions and those can't be merged.

We could merge the existing servers but it honestly isn't going to make much of a difference for the EU side of things because everyone that wants to speak english is already on DM anyway. It would make sense for the US side of things, but that wouldn't really change anything for anyone on DM.

Outside of that, we still don't have enough of a population to let people choose which warzones they want to play so that will not happen untill we triple the population.

I just successfully AFK'd through a whole Vandin match without getting kicked so we might be ok. Wasn't as fast as leaving and getting a functioning map but I got a drink, had a wee and browsed some webpages. All in all wasn't that bad, solid 8/10

Correction:

Yes.

I will never que unranked again starting with season 13. Only ranked...

It's better than playing those garbage hutball maps, you get 3 or 4 in a row sometimes.

Merging with servers from halfway across the world isnt going to work. I for one dont see the lot of us playing on the same server as americans and not lag the **** out. There is a reason there are regions and those can't be merged.

We could merge the existing servers but it honestly isn't going to make much of a difference for the EU side of things because everyone that wants to speak english is already on DM anyway. It would make sense for the US side of things, but that wouldn't really change anything for anyone on DM.

Outside of that, we still don't have enough of a population to let people choose which warzones they want to play so that will not happen untill we triple the population.

I do not see location as a huge road block. I play Arena on an East Coast server while living on the west coast with people playing from New Zealand and Australia all the time on WoW with no issue. My NZ friends report 100 to 200MS latency.

Are you telling me there is something especially bad about swtor latency? I wouldn't know.

Sorry for all the WoW references but that what I've been playing the most until recently.

Also there are already a large number of US players on DM already soo *shrug*

Edited by Diefexor

I do not see location as a huge road block. I play Arena on an East Coast server while living on the west coast with people playing from New Zealand and Australia all the time on WoW with no issue. My NZ friends report 100 to 200MS latency.

Are you telling me there is something especially bad about swtor latency? I wouldn't know.

Sorry for all the WoW references but that what I've been playing the most until recently.

Also there are already a large number of US players on DM already soo *shrug*

Okay, and what if your west coast suddenly had to connect to european servers?

Good luck with your 200+ms latency.

Saying its not a problem because its not a problem for you is a really shortsighted way of looking at things. No, cross region merges would never work and I'm sorry but its silly to even suggest as much.

What about the guy living in some baltic state or west Russia being put in the same match with you?

What then? It's a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Evolixe

Please tell me that you're joking about introducing a deserter queue for unranked matches.

You're only going to encourage people to sit AFK in a corner when they get maps they dislike or run into premades they can't beat or ANY number of other situations. Unranked should be a casual, more carefree experience compared to ranked matches and we should ABSOLUTELY be able to leave them without consequence. Backfill is fast, keeps matches full, and basically works well enough that this is a huge mistake.

If you introduce this deserter queue, you will alienate many of your remaining players into not playing at all! Don't. Don't. Absolutely do not.

Unranked should be a casual, more carefree experience compared to ranked matches and we should ABSOLUTELY be able to leave them without consequence. Backfill is fast, keeps matches full, and basically works well enough that this is a huge mistake.

If you introduce this deserter queue, you will alienate many of your remaining players into not playing at all! Don't. Don't. Absolutely do not.

This x10.000

Rather people leave and get backfilled than AFK it out.

Correction:

Yes.

It is extremely important that you guys make a different change before this one comes into play. Giving us an option to not be backfilled, no one enjoys it and it mostly targets solo players for obvious reasons. If a game has too many leavers put a lock on it and start the countdown for the end of the match instead of forcing random people into the said game.

Secondly, what's even more important than that one is to give us an option to queue for the warzones we want. The weight of each map isn't equal, there are three different huttballs and two different civil wars. Chances are you will get these the most of any queue session you have. For me personally, I like two of those 5 maps, only two.. But the other maps that don't have as much chance to pop I like way more. Please give us an option to filter out maps we do not want to play, even if its only a couple maps or a selection of maps we want to play. This would put a huge decline in leavers in the first place.

If you guys don't want to do something like that can we please have a fix to the system that chooses the map? There's way more odds of getting a Civil war or a Huttball since those have more maps, can it roll game mode then map instead? It'd make things better, but as I mentioned before people have wanted an option to queue for what warzones they like forever.. Would be amazing to have as a feature, hell I would even say it'd give a surge in players for unranked.

I strongly disapprove adding a lockout to unranked for leaving without addressing the fact that you cannot exclude, say, queshball, and considering the absolutely atrocious state of regs currently. Why should I have to stay in an artificially prolonged match in a map I despise where no one is trying to win anyway?

Okay, and what if your west coast suddenly had to connect to european servers?

Good luck with your 200+ms latency.

Saying its not a problem because its not a problem for you is a really shortsighted way of looking at things. No, cross region merges would never work and I'm sorry but its silly to even suggest as much.

What about the guy living in some baltic state or west Russia being put in the same match with you?

What then? It's a recipe for disaster.

Is your hyperbolic gas lighting supposed to be impressive or something? You didnt do anything to validate your position but puke out a bunch of garbage on how you feel. Talk about short sighted.

Give me examples. Where did playing on an american server ruin your gameplay experience? Where is it stated playing on other regions is impossible?

I gave you an example where playing with people from NZ had little effect on Arena plays (WoW reference). Which is much more intense than BG game play (WoW reference). Also i can link where good american players discuss playing on DM without mentioning latency(swtor reference).

This is a discussion thread. Your foot stomping doesnt impress.

Edited by Diefexor

-snip-

Note: In the update kicking off Season 13, all missions will be changed to require wins for completion and rewards.

Requiring wins for mission completion allows us to increase the quality and quantity of rewards, in addition to lowering any incentive to play poorly or farm gear and materials via losses. The goal is to increase the overall quality of matches.

-snip-

-Chris "BioChris" Schmidt, Lead Designer

:jawa_smile:

I'm fine with the deserter buff -- I'm used to it in Wow -- but I would like to advance the quests even if I lose. Slower, sure, but I don't want to feel like the time I was in a Warzone or Arena was a waste. I have much less interest in doing unranked PvP (I'm not a ranked PvPer) at a casual level. Knowing that even a loss would at least move the needle on a daily or weekly made it a reasonable option.

If you're worried about deserters, how about an increasing deserter debuff, say five or 10 minutes, per desertion until you win a match or as many matches as they deserted? Or even let them complete the weekly (or equivalent) number until they zero out their debuff? That way if they disconnect they only have the one penalty, but if they are a serial offender they get an increasing punishment.

Is your hyperbolic gas lighting supposed to be impressive or something? You didnt do anything to validate your position but puke out a bunch of garbage on how you feel. Talk about short sighted.

Give me examples. Where did playing on an american server ruin your gameplay experience? Where is it stated playing on other regions is impossible?

I gave you an example where playing with people from NZ had little effect on Arena plays. Which is much more intense than WZ game play. Also i can link where good american players discuss playing on DM without mentioning latency.

This is a discussion thread. Your foot stomping doesnt impress.

Some people will be fine, some others will not be. The way servers currently are is that there are servers on the east coast and there are servers in Ireland, Dublin I believe.

For some people from the baltic states they already got near 100ms to the european server. So when the two of you would have to be send in the same match there would be a difference of quickly 300ms. That's way over what's an acceptable norm. Yes, norm. Because that's what it will be, a norm. I'd prefer not to raise that "norm" by a factor 5 or more, thank you.

WoW has far higher quality servers than this game does and you can't even begin to compare the two. I literally get 2ms on WoW servers, yet somehow despite being only a couple hundred kilometers from the SWTOR servers (lucky me, right?) I can't get anywhere below 28ms. So my latency in SWTOR is literally 14 times higher than in WoW.

Honestly it boggles my mind that you can't see the issue here, it is absolutely astounding. It makes for a very poor gameplay experience and that will ultimately drive people away. It will sooner put an end to the game altogether than grant it a new beginning.

Some people will be fine, some others will not be. The way servers currently are is that there are servers on the east coast and there are servers in Ireland, Dublin I believe.

For some people from the baltic states they already got near 100ms to the european server. So when the two of you would have to be send in the same match there would be a difference of quickly 300ms. That's way over what's an acceptable norm. Yes, norm. Because that's what it will be, a norm. I'd prefer not to raise that "norm" by a factor 5 or more, thank you.

WoW has far higher quality servers than this game does and you can't even begin to compare the two. I literally get 2ms on WoW servers, yet somehow despite being only a couple hundred kilometers from the SWTOR servers (lucky me, right?) I can't get anywhere below 28ms. So my latency in SWTOR is literally 14 times higher than in WoW.

Honestly it boggles my mind that you can't see the issue here, it is absolutely astounding. It makes for a very poor gameplay experience and that will ultimately drive people away. It will sooner put an end to the game altogether than grant it a new beginning.

Combine 3 of the 5 servers into one battlegroup SF,SS, and DM. You already conceded DM works because its on the west coast of Europe. The other battlegroup can be TH and TL. I am not ridged. I can compromise.

Getting as many players into one WZ pool as possible is the goal.

After the pool is expanded the following can be implemented.

-Enable the ability to target specific WZ. (This will certainly have a longer Queue time than random. No way around it but at least its an option)

Is this the part of the post where I include some childish Ad Hominem garbage so I feel superior? is that the strategy? It boggels bla bla bla

Edited by Diefexor

Correction:

Yes.

If you put a deserter penalty in unranked warzones, I will unsub and never play this game again. I'm sure I'm not alone either. Give us a map filter instead. Queshball is a horrible map with bad design and full of desync, there's a reason most PvPers hate it.

Edited by Barnonahill

Combine 3 of the 5 servers into one battlegroup SF,SS, and DM. You already conceded DM works because its on the west coast of Europe. The other battlegroup can be TH and TL. I am not ridged. I can compromise.

Getting as many players into one WZ pool as possible is the goal.

It works for some, not for others. I know several people coming from US servers with 200+ ms to the server that just take it for granted. Its sad. But at least most of the people they are facing have decent latency themselves. Honestly should ask them how it is to fight some of the other NA people that also play on DM. Although I can already guess that the answer is that its not great.

On top of that you have the issue of timezones. Just merging all the servers isnt going to suddenly turn their populations in to an sum of the one with the other. Briefly during certain hours, maybe. But far from constantly.

And if I look at the combined populations of SF and SS, I still don't think that gives us much room to be choosing anything. It definitely isn't going to result in a tripling of the PvP population. DM, at least PvP wise, is already more active than SF and SS combined yet it doesn't stand a chance of offering these kind of options because even the sum of all those populations is nothing impressive.

It works for some, not for others. I know several people coming from US servers with 200+ ms to the server that just take it for granted. Its sad. But at least most of the people they are facing have decent latency themselves. Honestly should ask them how it is to fight some of the other NA people that also play on DM. Although I can already guess that the answer is that its not great.

On top of that you have the issue of timezones. Just merging all the servers isnt going to suddenly turn their populations in to an sum of the one with the other. Briefly during certain hours, maybe. But far from constantly.

And if I look at the combined populations of SF and SS, I still don't think that gives us much room to be choosing anything. It definitely isn't going to result in a tripling of the PvP population. DM, at least PvP wise, is already more active than SF and SS combined yet it doesn't stand a chance of offering these kind of options because even the sum of all those populations is nothing impressive.

This is where we are both looking through an empirical lens. I believe this is something that can be accomplished with little harm to quality of life given what i have seen. You believe it cannot be done given your experiences. Really, the only people that can answer this is EA/Bioware. I would hope in 2020 its possible, especially when their competition does this all the time.. I'm an optimist.

Timezones is a non issue. There would be a net positive gain regardless. The magnitude of the gain might differ at times but there will certainly be more people at any given point than previously.

Are you referring to queuing for specific WZ in the last paragraph? I dont see the harm in the capability. Some people will wait for 45min in WoW for AV to pop because they love it. I highly doubt there will be a scenario where everybody queues for different WZs and nothing pops. Especially after a battlegroup merg.

The probable outcome for specific WZ queues will be high queue times because most people will be attracted to the random wz option with the extra prize and option to blacklist their hated wz.

I don't mind the deserter timer, but they need to add an option for people to not get Huttballs. A simple checkbox that would remove all HBs from their pop. That'd be the best easy fix and it would satisfy most parties (ppl who enjoy HB and ppl who loathe it). I love HB. But playing in 5+ every night has really lowered their quality anyways. I wouldn't mind getting less HB pops if it means everyone in it is trying to play the game.

Just to stop your bickering, they've already said that they are contractually obliged to have a certain number, and type, of server.

Its called a discussion. Didnt start well but I think we are getting through it. Its not like you are forced to read any of it.

Yeah keep your server numbers and type lol. Doesnt not mean you cannot cross server when in a WZ instance. =P

Its called a discussion. Didnt start well but I think we are getting through it. Its not like you are forced to read any of it.

Yeah keep your server numbers and type lol. Doesnt not mean you cannot cross server when in a WZ instance. =P

You're asking for cross-server queues, which is something they do not have and will not have. If they did have them, they would be NA exclusive as the others have MS issues.

I've given you the answer to your question, you can accept it or not I'm not your mother.