Honest questions from a GSF noob

On a side note, it’s been 3 weeks since starting GSF and about a week since I’ve actively been trying to get better and not just get the daily PO done.

Tonight I hit my first 5 kill haul with 9 assists and 2 deaths (both accidentally self inflicted). With a combined 33% aim efficiency on GS, Strike and Scout. All 3 were only slightly upgraded.

Reading the help posts here and watching the vids really helped. Now it’s just practice and every match I fell like I’m getting better.

I’m now interchanging back and forth with the F1-F3 keys for more damage and speed. It’s surprising just how much more damage you do on F1 compared to not. Even my minimal upgrade scout got a gun kill setting them up with a concussion missile.

The only sad thing about the match is we lost terribly because it was all top players vs noobs like me. We killed 12 of them and I was the highest on my team with 5. Their highest was 17 kills and they finished us off before the timer ran out.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don’t think so. My only concern would be if the game’s got the ability to detect a 3rd party app like that and if it does, it may misconstrue what it is and auto flag you in the system for TOS violation.

Do you possibly have a link to that software? We can ask BioWare what they think.

I don't no. I hadn't started to look at it yet. I was just looking at one of Scrab's old videos and thought it would be cool.

On a side note, it’s been 3 weeks since starting GSF and about a week since I’ve actively been trying to get better and not just get the daily PO done.

Tonight I hit my first 5 kill haul with 9 assists and 2 deaths (both accidentally self inflicted). With a combined 33% aim efficiency on GS, Strike and Scout. All 3 were only slightly upgraded.

Reading the help posts here and watching the vids really helped. Now it’s just practice and every match I fell like I’m getting better.

I’m now interchanging back and forth with the F1-F3 keys for more damage and speed. It’s surprising just how much more damage you do on F1 compared to not. Even my minimal upgrade scout got a gun kill setting them up with a concussion missile.

The only sad thing about the match is we lost terribly because it was all top players vs noobs like me. We killed 12 of them and I was the highest on my team with 5. Their highest was 17 kills and they finished us off before the timer ran out.

Great job, keep it up! All good signs!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm also new to GSF.

Lured into gsf by the galactic seasons POs and cause I was tired of killing insectoids.

I'm slowly progressing from being totally useless to being mostly useless. :D

The most success I had so far on my bomber, mostly cause I don't have to shoot myself that much.

Now I noticed that I sometimes don't really get a lot of medals, even though I was guarding a satellite successfully for the entire match. Think I once only got 3 medals. Is this normal?:(

Is it cause we were winning too fast? Do I have to hope for us to loose a satellite to drag things out?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, still trying to figure things out?:)

Edited by Stellalunacat

Hi there, I'm also new to GSF.

Lured into gsf by the galactic seasons POs and cause I was tired of killing insectoids.

I'm slowly progressing from being totally useless to being mostly useless. :D

The most success I had so far on my bomber, mostly cause I don't have to shoot myself that much.

Now I noticed that I sometimes don't really get a lot of medals, even though I was guarding a satellite successfully for the entire match. Think I once only got 3 medals. Is this normal?:(

Is it cause we were winning too fast? Do I have to hope for us to loose a satellite to drag things out?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, still trying to figure things out?:)

Defense medals for guarding a satellite work like defense points for guarding nodes in ground warzones like Alderaan Civil War or Ancient Hypergate ... the medals come at 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 minutes. The dwarven laborers say there is a Platinum medal at 10 minutes but I can't recall ever getting that.

But remember you have to stay close to the satellite. If you leave communication range of the satellite (which is different than the range on your communication sensors), say to go and intercept an incoming attacker, then the defense medal timer starts over at zero once you get back in range. I think that range is 3000m but I'm not sure, and I don't think there is anything that can modify it, for example having communication sensors on your ship. I'm sure someone will correct me on the actual range number. A good rule of thumb is to be careful leaving the immediate vicinity of the fins.

So, you can receive an attacker medal "Offense Basic" for capturing the satellite, if it is red or white when you arrive, and then if you are there the whole match, never leave the satellite's communication range, and never fight any other players or score any damage on any player ship, or repair anything on anyone's ship, you'll get just 1-5 defender medals.

Was pretty close to the satellite the whole time.

Not sure about the 3000m though, was placing my railgun sentry drones a little bit off behind the satellite and chased one attacker down with my laser cannon.

Will keep an eye on my distance to satellite next time around ty.:)

Still feels like ground pvp gives you more medals for just guarding.

I mean if the satellite you're guarding isn't that popular, you get just the 3 or so basic guarding medals.

Best for me so far was 11 medals on my bomber, but that satellite was heavily contested, so got lots of assists and probably some medals for healing too.

I think that range is 3000m but I'm not sure, and I don't think there is anything that can modify it, for example having communication sensors on your ship. I'm sure someone will correct me on the actual range number. A good rule of thumb is to be careful leaving the immediate vicinity of the fins..

Coms range of a node is basically nothing. I always tells people its 500m. I raised this topic with Drakolich once and he said they never measured the actual distance, but a good rule of thumb is if you are outside the fins, but still extremely close to them, you are right on that line where the node will no longer see you. This is why its quite possible to lose a node by Retro-thrusting off it, even though you will feel like you were on it all the time. This is also why fighting "on-node" is probably the hardest skill to learn in the game. Actually being within the fins and still being able to make kills proficiently. Suffice to say, its a lot less than 3000m, and the vast majority of players, even many who consciously try to play on-node, do not realize just how close to it you need to be for the node to see you. This is also unaffected by coms sensor range extension, since the basic range is already well within the range a node will see you anyway.

This probably has something to do with why people tick in Domination. They have maybe realized how hard it is to stay in communication range of the node while moving and engaging in combat, and so they opt for not moving instead. I dunno, just a theory, seems probable.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

Coms range of a node is basically nothing. I always tells people its 500m. I raised this topic with Drakolich once and he said they never measured the actual distance, but a good rule of thumb is if you are outside the fins, but still extremely close to them, you are right on that line where the node will no longer see you. This is why its quite possible to lose a node by Retro-thrusting off it, even though you will feel like you were on it all the time. This is also why fighting "on-node" is probably the hardest skill to learn in the game. Actually being within the fins and still being able to make kills proficiently. Suffice to say, its a lot less than 3000m, and the vast majority of players, even many who consciously try to play on-node, do not realize just how close to it you need to be for the node to see you. This is also unaffected by coms sensor range extension, since the basic range is already well within the range a node will see you anyway.

This probably has something to do with why people tick in Domination. They have maybe realized how hard it is to stay in communication range of the node while moving and engaging in combat, and so they opt for not moving instead. I dunno, just a theory, seems probable.

Alright had no idea I needed to stay that close.

Must have blibed in and out of range a lot.

Is there like a grace period or something, like a you can stay out of range of satelite for a couple of sec without loosing it or how does it work?

As far as I can tell it stayed green the whole time, so don't think I lost it at any point.

Even though I initially started doing gsf for galactic season, I still try to do my best and contribute as much as I can.

So thank you for answering all my questions. :D

Is there like a grace period or something, like a you can stay out of range of satelite for a couple of sec without loosing it or how does it work?

Nope. Its instant. But the animation lags behind what is actually happening. SO you know when you get that green aura around your ship telling you that you are turning the node green? If you move away from the node that green aura will stay on you up to somewhere around 3000m. But its just the animation being slow to update. You are not in comms range much further than the fins. You can test this yourself by approaching a node in the tutorial very slowly, and see when it starts to give you that green aura. Hhmmm, In fact, I might do a video for this.

Even though I initially started doing gsf for galactic season, I still try to do my best and contribute as much as I can.

So thank you for answering all my questions. :D

Great to hear :) If you need any help I'm here.