Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

Great post!

Two things in particular have bothered me throughout this debacle:

1. The Slicing nerf came early and was very severe and did not seem to take into account the vastly diminished significance of Slicing income at higher levels. That latter point is what made Slicing still somewhat balanced prior to the nerf - you made great money at lower levels with minimal investment, but if you invested in another skill you could see that pay off later on and Slicing was left in the dust.

2. Official silence on this topic has been extremely frustrating. Just one single utterance about "balance". No numbers, no explanation of the mechanics or the growing danger they saw. No clarification of the purpose of Slicing or the credit box missions (which seem to have no reason to exist other than their potential credit profit). I wish they would stop treating us like children; it's insulting. Just give us the scoop and let us debate it from there, instead of leaving us to stew in endless speculation and paranoia.

I suspect - that both points are related to the stack exploit.

Basically - Bioware realised early that VASTLY more credits were coming into the system than they intended, were unaware of the stack exploit, did not have the best tools in all MMO's to check where credits were coming from (else I think a few other professions would have had the hit instead) and slicing was a popular crewskill that was being used to generate credits. It's why it was given the hack job attention initially, and why later - more nodes were removed from the game world. Because lots more money was coming in than BW knew - before they finally got around to fixing the real source of the problem.

The silence - well, that's because I believe Bioware - don't know what to say on this topic. It's not acceptable in the MMO world to say - "Actually we messed up" and come clean about the state of things. And yes - for all those people out there who think just because it makes a profit missioning that it's fixed - that's a fubar mentality. If something at max level earns me the credits of a level 20something grinding mobs, it's not working as intended - I am staggered as to how people can see this as valid. Or worse, if my level 18 Cybertech, with 200 skill earns more credits per minute doing scavenging missions and then cyberteching the mats to greens and vendoring. And this is comparing it to the the recorded data on the spreadsheets.

Seriously - I think they saw massive credit influx into the economy, couldn't track it, saw people saying how broken slicing was - realised MANY people had slicing, because it was a useful part of the burgeoning economy and hacked it - thinking that would stop the credit influx, as well as the forum whines. It didn't stop the credit influx, and the forums became more noisy with arguements saying both sides.

And to anyone out there who says: "Oh but Dorkfrey, 100k at level 15 is wrong!!!" Get over yourselves - it was chump change in the grand scheme of things, please see outside your own tiny microcosm of perception. My level 18 Cybertech will get there shortly, if I can be bothered to play him at all. Or if I don't get tempted by things like cargo space/inventory.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 50. Is there an expansion out I need to buy?

If you're happy making the same credits missioning at 400 skills as a rank 1 missioner in others classes, bully for you. We do need people who'll be satisfied with any level of mediocrity or drivel handed to them. That's what keeps games running.

Doesn't change the basics that Slicing Missions CPM is lower than what can be earned from a Scav/Cybertech doing rank 1/2 missions.

By all means, keep spouting the nonsense though, the CPM recorded for Slicing has been pretty much recorded accurately on more than enough Spreadsheets to validate the dismay of others.

As it is now my crew is almost total worthless. I took the armormech, scavenging, and slicing for the crew skills. The only time I use the crew are to craft some armor when I level, other than that there is no missions to send them on to make a profit. What is the point of slicing if the missions are a loss, for augments?

If BW killed slicing because a few people abused it, shame on them. Penalizing everyone because of a few is wrong and no way to run a business.

Still no word from BW? Only one week left...

If you're happy making the same credits missioning at 400 skills as a rank 1 missioner in others classes, bully for you. We do need people who'll be satisfied with any level of mediocrity or drivel handed to them. That's what keeps games running.

Doesn't change the basics that Slicing Missions CPM is lower than what can be earned from a Scav/Cybertech doing rank 1/2 missions.

By all means, keep spouting the nonsense though, the CPM recorded for Slicing has been pretty much recorded accurately on more than enough Spreadsheets to validate the dismay of others.

I have more creds than I can spend right now. I can easily do 25K-30k an hour with slicing. Show me a rank 1 missioner that is doing that.

It should be closer to 200 credits per minute (this is with 3 companions) at least. The 70k I made in 60 hours of slicing covers 3 skill ups at my level. 60 hours of mission time for 3 skill ups! It would take 300 mission hours to afford speeder bike training 3. Crazy.

Well if you think something else would yield higher profit, why bothering with slicing ?

At level 30, killing mobs makes more per minute than slicing did pre-nerf.

The problem was it took no effort and people exploited it. I used slicing missions pre-nerf and earned a good amount doing so but earned more selling mats on GTN.

Slicing needs to be fixed. As it stands, it just makes a bit more credits while your out in the world and missions are useless, unless you really want some augments or schematics. I'm not saying put it back to what it was, because that can be exploited, but it needs to be buffed or adjusted so it can't be abused.

The alternative, BW, is get rid of slicing. The only people who have it now are in 3 camps.

1: Had slicing pre-nerf and are hoping it will be buffed back

2: Are keeping it in hopes that it is buffed in the future

3: For some extra credits from slicing while questing.

I don't mind the extra credits as I'm walking about killing mobs but it doesn't make near as many creds as the other gathering skills. Would those be nerf'd as well?

I have more creds than I can spend right now. I can easily do 25K-30k an hour with slicing. Show me a rank 1 missioner that is doing that.

Sorry - you're avoiding the question - again. How much of that comes from purely missioning?

See, any other mission I run, having made notes of things, I make a certain amount of credits per minute.

You're saying, at level 50, you can run around and slice node and farm etc - and make credits. Guess what, so can ANYONE. But - in terms of like for like, you're left sorely behind a RANK 1 missioner. Oh wait, can't use that as a valid arguement because chops here won't do that. Because you know - the second you do, you realise just how much junk slicing really is. It's *not* worth the crewskill slot.

BUT YOU WON'T COMPARE LIKE FOR LIKE.

Carry on though, seriously - as I said, games need folk who'll accept mediocrity and be content.

Edited by Dorkfrey

Sorry - you're avoiding the question - again. How much of that comes from purely missioning?

See, any other mission I run, having made notes of things, I make a certain amount of credits per minute.

You're saying, at level 50, you can run around and slice node and farm etc - and make credits. Guess what, so can ANYONE. But - in terms of like for like, you're left sorely behind a RANK 1 missioner. Oh wait, can't use that as a valid arguement because chops here won't do that. Because you know - the second you do, you realise just how much junk slicing really is. It's *not* worth the crewskill slot.

BUT YOU WON'T COMPARE LIKE FOR LIKE.

Carry on though, seriously - as I said, games need folk who'll except mediocrity and be content.

Slicing is not just missioning but at 400 I get at least one 300/340 UT, ARCH, TH or BIO mission an hour I can sell for anywhere from 15k to 25k.

So again, tell what rank one missioner is making that in an hour just running missions.

Edited by Drewser

Slicing is not just missioning but at 400 I get at least one 300/340 UT, ARCH, TH or BIO mission an hour I can sell for anywhere from 15k to 25k.

So again, tell what rank one missioner is making that in an hour just running missions.

Sorry - what exactly do you make missioning in SLICING again (IN CREDITS).

You're guaranteed that are you? Every hour you get at LEAST one?

Glad you're on a server with a functioning economy. When I just looked up the missions they were selling for under what the GTN says they should, on all missions, not one over 5k.

And again - this is assuming you can sell. There is NO market on this server. I'm regularly buying stacks of materials for under 500c. I mean whole stacks too - and crafting them. Like 1-2 a day and able to vendor them.

Again though - you're still not answering the question. Can do you do it - WHAT IS YOUR NET GAIN IN CREDITS FROM SLICING MISSIONS. Since it's primary function is to generate - guess what Sunshin... CREDITS.

So, answer the question.

EDIT: Actually - I just found 3 x 340 mission at over 10k, although the guy has been undercutting himself it would seem. So not sure what's going on there.

Edited by Dorkfrey

Sorry - what exactly do you make missioning in SLICING again (IN CREDITS).

You're guaranteed that are you? Every hour you get at LEAST one?

Glad you're on a server with a functioning economy. When I just looked up the missions they were selling for under what the GTN says they should, on all missions, not one over 5k.

And again - this is assuming you can sell. There is NO market on this server. I'm regularly buying stacks of materials for under 500c. I mean whole stacks too - and crafting them. Like 1-2 a day and able to vendor them.

Again though - you're still not answering the question. Can do you do it - WHAT IS YOUR NET GAIN IN CREDITS FROM SLICING MISSIONS. Since it's primary function is to generate - guess what Sunshin... CREDITS.

So, answer the question.

EDIT: Actually - I just found 3 x 340 mission at over 10k, although the guy has been undercutting himself it would seem. So not sure what's going on there.

I am not answering a loaded question that only gives the answer you want.

The fact is you can still make good money with slicing and it was extremely unbalanced earlier. you can leave out the major money making parts and say "see it sucks".

BTW, if FULL stacks of mats for are selling for 500c on your server there is no way a level 1 missioner is making close to what a level 400 slicer makes just in credits each hour.

Edited by Drewser

I am not answering a loaded question that only gives the answer you want.

The fact is you can still make good money with slicing and it was extremely unbalanced earlier. you can leave out the major money making parts and say "see it sucks".

So, basically - you can't answer honestly, knowing that you know the data, and I know the data, and in terms of credits per minute.. It doesn't go much over 30, for running missions.

You rely on a "luck" based element to sell, that requires a functioning economy to sell, and tout that as a solid state of proof.

Which - not everyone gets 1 an hour. I've tried, and I've got a day without seeing one. I saw some schems. But = I did not get a guaranteed schematic every hour.

You cannot answer honestly, you avoid the truth of why slicing is bad, and tout how awesome it is, but when faced with a simple, and valid question, you avoid and refuse to answer. A rank 1 missioner, will net MORE credits (in terms of pure credits), than a 400 slicer doing missions. You *may* well crit, and get lucky. But at the end of the day, that Rank 1 missioner, will generate more credits than you do, doing equal activities.

I know you're so Pro BW, and Pro Slicing, but you can't accept the simple reality, that as professions go, it sucks. Ironically - as a crafter, I'm in their camp - I'd love to see slicing get buffed, but then, I didn't see it as a threat to my income. It DIDN'T generate more than I could earn in other professions, and it didn't break the game. Only people like you, who feel that earning 30 credits per MINUTE is a great thing at mastered skill level.

At the end of the day, the DATA, doesn't lie. Your anecdotes are full of holes, yet - all of the slicing mission results, will show exactly what it generates, and what it generated. Wasn't that far out of the ordinary for a level 50 was it now?

So - you able to answer the question honestly, and confirm the data that's been put in by all, or you feel the need to lie, or just avoid it, since you know - as well as I do, that it's not great. I generate more "credit worth" in missions than slicing can, at lower ranks. I generate the same "credits" at rank 1. How exactly is slicing not the lame runt of the litter in the crewskill lineup?

i don't believe you(red text), i have 3 of my 5 companions with 7k+ affection and i afk slice for extended periods of time all 5 companions. I get maybe 1 300/340 UT,arch, th or bio mission per day. Often i get 200ish blues. I have even started doing the guaranteed loss missions in lv5/6 lock boxes to try and get the missions since we have jacked the price of the missions to 20+K on my server.

I am juggernaut so i dont have a companion with bonuses to slicing are you running one of the companions with +crit slicing?

i don't believe you(red text), i have 3 of my 5 companions with 7k+ affection and i afk slice for extended periods of time all 5 companions. I get maybe 1 300/340 UT,arch, th or bio mission per day. Often i get 200ish blues. I have even started doing the guaranteed loss missions in lv5/6 lock boxes to try and get the missions since we have jacked the price of the missions to 20+K on my server.

I am juggernaut so i dont have a companion with bonuses to slicing are you running one of the companions with +crit slicing?

He's lying. This was the point that I was trying to have people infer.

BH gets the most +eff at +15, and Jedi Knight/Sith Inq get +2 crit to slicing on one companion.

And actually - those too, aren't guaranteed losses, they end up at... (looks up mission data)... between 10 and 24 credits per minute profit overall. The point I and others have been making is that - that level of "profit" from a pure profit crewskill is laughable. And unless you can literally farm nodes with no impediment, other nodes also return more when you include the GTN.

Most likely - the actual credits that people "generate" come from their actions within the game - and this is what they base their "findings" off of. Not the actual results of slicing. Since - when the question was posed to him, he WOULDN'T answer. Knowing, that he'd either be called out with data verifying him to be full of untruths, or proving the case - that Slicing doesn't generate a lot of cash at all.

Yes I have Mako at 10k affection. If I send all 5 out and do no biochem I will get about 1 per hour.

Last night sending 4 out, i got 2. So far tonight I started at 6:15 est and Torian just came back while I was typing this with a 340 UT.

Because I'll tell you something, I make credits doing Cybertech. And I've heard about this skill called Biochem, think that's useful too.

Because you fail to acknowledge that other crafts can mine nodes for greater profits if they work the GTN. Or because this really is your last resort. Calling me a poopoo head. Wow, I'm impressed. Haven't had someone use lines that good since I was like 7. Now, go scurry along and play with the other children. Adults are speaking.

Tell you what, when you stop lying about your returns on Slicing, post some more.

Till that point, it's Opposite Day.

Have a nice time Sunshine.

Edited by Trineda
removed quote

Because I'll tell you something, I make credits doing Cybertech. And I've heard about this skill called Biochem, think that's useful too.

Because you fail to acknowledge that other crafts can mine nodes for greater profits if they work the GTN. Or because this really is your last resort. Calling me a poopoo head. Wow, I'm impressed. Haven't had someone use lines that good since I was like 7. Now, go scurry along and play with the other children. Adults are speaking.

Tell you what, when you stop lying about your returns on Slicing, post some more.

Till that point, it's Opposite Day.

Have a nice time Sunshine.

Whatever dude. Keep crying and I will keep making creds.

If you are buying full stacks of mats for 500 creds how the hell are people on your server working nodes making more than slicing boxes? There are so many holes in your arguments it looks like swiss cheese.

Edited by Drewser

Whatever dude. Keep crying and I will keep making creds.

If you are buying full stacks of mats for 500 creds how the hell are people on your server working nodes making more than slicing boxes? There are so many holes in your arguments it looks like swiss cheese.

I buy *some* things at that, and vendor - because people don't know their value to vendor, other things I sell for more or craft with and sell.

I'm not going to list what I've found, because I've hit a few - untapped niches as far as I can see. I have to work a bit harder to make my credits, but - at the end of the day, they do keep coming in.

I'm not crying. I'm just stating facts, a concept that seems to elude your lying insulting mind.

High end nodes, sell (reasonably - if you have the right stuff for the right price) well - and for a lot (again, this comes down to demand - a concept that I'm going to wager you do not grasp). Low end, not so well. At least not right now. Maybe when people realise the value - the minimum price will go up. In terms of pure credits, it's effective for me to buy low end materials, that create very quickly and vendor them, making between 90c-125c per minute depending on recipe. Higher end stuff, sells for more - but can't be churned out nearly as fast, due to the crafting times. So - I tend to GTN higher stuff, because it's more cost effective to GTN low end materials and convert them into credits, hell - even missioning and converting them into credits is more profitable.

You do get how crafting works don't you? I mean, you've shown yourself to be untruthful, but - you do understand some of the intricacies right?

Look - you get lots of Missions per hour (far beyond the results of all the recorded data from most people - and you brag about how much you make), and can sell them well above anything I've seen available on my server. Now - the prices, I might be able to accept - our server is in a slump. The "results" of your missions, however - are TOTAL untruths. Note - you couldn't answer the very simple question.

If you could - then there'd be a consensus, that the actual CPM of slicing missions is very low for what it is. Which is what this thread, and the one before that, and the one before that is about. Something you've failed to grasp in it's ENTIRETY. Because you're you.

In terms of credits per mission - you get more doing other things. This is a fact of life. In terms of high end nodes - you get more from Scav (and to some degree Arch - depending on the node - and I've no idea about Bioanalysis since I've not done any, but going by the forum QQ, it's obviously a winner). The fact that rank 1 missioning with Scavenging can guarantee me a better credits per minute return than ANY rank Slicing mission says there is a problem with slicing (short of lucky crits - which as many people will attest to, isn't a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination).

If you can't grasp this, carry on posting your continueing drivel. It's amusing being better than you. You call me names, and I laugh at your arguments, because you can't post with data, whereas - even the post above me - was a result of one of the many spreadsheets out there, with plenty of samples regarding slicing data. You know - actual non lies. And they're all within the same ballpark region.

You also don't explain - how - you get to free farm nodes continuously - since many have been removed. As I said - I suspect your "data" or lack of it, which amounts to stories saying you earn more than you can spend, to be either flawed, or simply - untruthful.

But keep calling me names if it helps you feel more like a man. Or - go play with the other children. Either or, I care not.

I buy *some* things at that, and vendor - because people don't know their value to vendor, other things I sell for more or craft with and sell.

I'm not going to list what I've found, because I've hit a few - untapped niches as far as I can see. I have to work a bit harder to make my credits, but - at the end of the day, they do keep coming in.

I'm not crying. I'm just stating facts, a concept that seems to elude your lying insulting mind.

High end nodes, sell (reasonably - if you have the right stuff for the right price) well - and for a lot (again, this comes down to demand - a concept that I'm going to wager you do not grasp). Low end, not so well. At least not right now. Maybe when people realise the value - the minimum price will go up. In terms of pure credits, it's effective for me to buy low end materials, that create very quickly and vendor them, making between 90c-125c per minute depending on recipe. Higher end stuff, sells for more - but can't be churned out nearly as fast, due to the crafting times. So - I tend to GTN higher stuff, because it's more cost effective to GTN low end materials and convert them into credits, hell - even missioning and converting them into credits is more profitable.

You do get how crafting works don't you? I mean, you've shown yourself to be untruthful, but - you do understand some of the intricacies right?

Look - you get lots of Missions per hour (far beyond the results of all the recorded data from most people - and you brag about how much you make), and can sell them well above anything I've seen available on my server. Now - the prices, I might be able to accept - our server is in a slump. The "results" of your missions, however - are TOTAL untruths. Note - you couldn't answer the very simple question.

If you could - then there'd be a consensus, that the actual CPM of slicing missions is very low for what it is. Which is what this thread, and the one before that, and the one before that is about. Something you've failed to grasp in it's ENTIRETY. Because you're you.

In terms of credits per mission - you get more doing other things. This is a fact of life. In terms of high end nodes - you get more from Scav (and to some degree Arch - depending on the node - and I've no idea about Bioanalysis since I've not done any, but going by the forum QQ, it's obviously a winner). The fact that rank 1 missioning with Scavenging can guarantee me a better credits per minute return than ANY rank Slicing mission says there is a problem with slicing (short of lucky crits - which as many people will attest to, isn't a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination).

If you can't grasp this, carry on posting your continueing drivel. It's amusing being better than you. You call me names, and I laugh at your arguments, because you can't post with data, whereas - even the post above me - was a result of one of the many spreadsheets out there, with plenty of samples regarding slicing data. You know - actual non lies. And they're all within the same ballpark region.

You also don't explain - how - you get to free farm nodes continuously - since many have been removed. As I said - I suspect your "data" or lack of it, which amounts to stories saying you earn more than you can spend, to be either flawed, or simply - untruthful.

But keep calling me names if it helps you feel more like a man. Or - go play with the other children. Either or, I care not.

Now you are going far afield and talking about how a crafter can make more than a slicer.

Explain to me how a level one missioner alone can make more than level 400 slicer with no crafting...

They can't but keep trying to spin you argument.

You are an amusing chap.

Edited by Drewser

Now you are going far afield and talking about how a crafter can more than a slicer.

Explain to me how a level one missioner alone can make more than level 400 slicer with no crafting...

They can't but keep trying to spin you argument.

You are an amusing chap.

How do I make more CPM than a slicer:

Run a rank 1 mission, to get reward (that I know the mission reward will give me the correct mats from making notes on the results of missions previous, to have worked out a credit/cost basis), convert the mats into green items, vendor them. Or buy off the GTN if they cost below a certain threshold and craft and vendor.

If you cannot grasp this - keep posting.

You're also chuckleworthy, but not for good reasons.

p.s. And no - I'm not telling you my niche recipes, because as soon as I do, the value on certain materials that are undervalued will increase as others realise it. Suffice to say - that 90-125 cpm is about right on the mark - depending on results.

p.p.s: I AM JUST TALKING ABOUT COMPARING MISSIONS. In terms of gathering in the world and selling on the GTN vs Slicing depends on what you're selling and the economy - or what you are crafting and the economy. If you cannot make the distinction, go learn u an edumacation or something. In terms of a fixed fleet activity - the gatherer comes out ahead of the slicer on pure credits. At low levels on the gatherer, high level on the slicer.

Edited by Dorkfrey

• Dev Post

Let's get the obvious thing out of the way - slicing was giving too much money, and this needed to be corrected. A bug snuck through launch that resulted in some lockboxes giving out far more cash than our magic spreadsheets said they were supposed to give. The end result was that our economy was getting flooded with credits, which risks causing massive inflation in the economy. Players were abandoning other crafting skills for slicing which was causing the problem to feed on itself. Economic issues are tricky - once you let the horse out of the barn, it's pretty hard to coax it back in - and it's important that the dev team jump on these issues as quickly as we can.

Once we corrected the issue, the math started to fall into line, which is to say the metrics of our economy started to match what we expected slicers to have. It's important to note that, while slicing was always meant to be a little more casual, and less wedded to the other crafting skills than the other gathering skills, it was never meant to be a Magic Money Machine. Slicing is still profitable, I promise - the metrics are showing that slicers still do quite well - but it's no longer profitable to the degree where you were a moron if you chose any other Crew Skill.

Are we done balancing? This being an MMO, you're never done balancing, and we will continue to monitor Slicing and the other endgame skills to ensure they are fulfilling their stated purpose inside the game mechanics, useful to the players who choose them, and healthy contributors to the economy as a whole. It is not unlikely that all Crew Skills will get further adjustments once the game and economy has matured and metrics points out a strong need. Once this happens, I promise we'll make a better effort to let players know the rationale of the changes we're making as we're making them.

Edited by StephenReid