Master Loot Change with 6.3.2

CommunityTeam

If the need/greed roll doesn't come back, please at least separate the loot information in the chat window from other System Feedback so that we can create an extra chat tab/window where only the loot distribution is visible without any other messages to at least have a chance to look up who got what item.

As it is, anyone using one ore more highly frequented custom made channel is constantly spammed with player joins/leaves channel "xyz" as System Feedback which makes it very hard to track even one's own loot or the question who got the OEM from the current boss.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware,

I visited the forums again for the first time in years to say:

Don't listen to the naysayers. This system is so much worse than they're saying it is. Please, for the love of god. Change it back. I don't know whose hairbrained idea it was to implement this change, but I can't believe that Bioware Austin had a popular demand for this.

Sincerely,

An Incensed Player

Edited by DarthEccen

We need more information on what is happening.

Are we getting less tokens now individually? (ie. manaan)

Decos that can drop has the same amount of drop chance?

Are rewards scaling with content difficulty even if I run with less people? (Ie.: Doing MM FP with 2 players + companions)

Edited by Banza

We need more information on what is happening.

Are we getting less tokens now individually? (ie. manaan)

Decos that can drop has the same amount of drop chance?

Are rewards scaling with content difficulty even if I run with less people? (Ie.: Doing MM FP with 2 players + companions)

these things are largely irrelevant to the change but the answers are no, yes and no

This gear change has been infuriating as a raider as you now have to go through so many team questions and inventory check to review gear.

1. You can no longer split OEM's between a group as it goes out randomly and we don't even know who gets them

2. Decos can go to anyone now while if you're running with friends you use to be able to pass on them if you had them already now you'll have to trade it to someone who may not have it

3. You now have to ask the raid group who got what pieces on gear you need for chevos and everyone has to check inventory

This update was not fully thought through and hasn't made looting any easier to your main raiding community that plays with teams / friends. There needs to be a better system in place for us as rolling was easy to manage now you have to have everyone check, trade and more. You added steps to a process that was already poor

I'd love to know why you think any of these things are irrelevant, and would also love to know how you answered each of these on your own.

dunno how much you have played the game recently or if you read the changes to loot, but the change didn't impact what drops, which is what the questions were about :)

dunno how much you have played the game recently or if you read the changes to loot, but the change didn't impact what drops, which is what the questions were about :)

So, you think the drop rate of items, which directly impacts how easily you can get an item, has no relevance to the removal of the Need/Greed/Pass system, which also directly impacts how easily you can win an item? Alright, I'll take that, as long as you accept my offer on this bridge I'm selling you.

I don't usually come to the forums and post, it's just too much vitriol for me. But here I am this time. Maybe the fourth or fifth time in ten years. So here goes:

My guild raids four nights a week, sixteen man most of the time and we generally pug 5 or so spots. Last night one person won every piece of set gear and broke it down before others could even ask if the person who won needed it or if they could buy/roll again/beg for it because the individual didn't know it was in their inventory (at least that was the story, who knows). Tonight another person got 6 satchels and another got 4 sets of isos while others got nothing. We usually keep track of that stuff and try and keep things fair but without the pop ups keeping track is a nightmare. We have loot rules and if someone goes way off kilter and refuses to follow we find someone else who will. Then, another person who has been passing on a deco he has never liked wasn't given the option to do that. He ended up trading it but it wasn't until the end of the raid and by then most people had left so who knows if there was someone out there who really wanted it but was just too shy to actually say anything or had no idea it had even dropped. I know I was surprised to find two satchels and two decos in my inventory along with the unspeakable amount of gear we get. I personally could care less about master loot. We never use it, I don't think any of the pug raids I've done over the years have ever used it, go ahead, get rid of it. But my inventory gets ridiculously filled with stuff anyway, so now I have to pay extra close attention and either pause (I'm a healer, no one wants to wait for that) and go through all of the stuff in my inventory to see what I got or scroll back up to see what others got to see if perhaps someone got something I may want. or I have something I don't want that they might. For a change that was supposed to bring about a more fair way of doing things it seriously missed the mark.

I have been here through a lot of changes over the years and some have really irked me but I put my head down and work through it. Not this time. This system is bad. It just is. At least bring back need/greed/pass.

After playing with these changes for a few days now i must say these are complete garbage but in a slightly different way than i expected.

Nobody has an overview of what droped or who even got it, not even the people that got it. Chat is completely unuseable to track that as it gets spammed with all the useless crap everyone gets and it is a nightmare to distribute mats and set pieces that drop properly, especially since mats like OEM go directly into mat cargo. Please let us just need/greed/pass roll on things again

The need/greed system works perfectly well, and at least it gives everyone an overview of what dropped. The new system is basically need/greed, except you can't greed or pass and also the only overview of the items that have dropped are in chat, which is a horrible slog to get through.

It's especially annoying for distributing OEMs and for set bonus pieces/tacticals, which will drop based on the classes in your group, but then randomly distributed for some weird reason? If you're gonna make it so gear isn't rolled for, why is the operative getting the powertech set bonus piece?

This is a perfect example of BW/Dev's NOT listening to it's players.

What we asked for was, as soon as combat started, the loot option could not be changed (Locked in) . IE, so if you were in a pug group, the leader couldn't suddenly change the loot to master (When DT was at 5% health) , and ninja all the stuff., which is where all the vitrol used to come from. The need/greed/pass system was perfect, as it gave people choice, AND made it easy to follow. The master loot system was fine, all it needed was a lock in, as soon as combat started, so everyone would know what was what before it started, and if the gl did try and change, people would see before combat start, and even if it was changed just as combat started, they could /stuck it, and make sure no one got sc***ed....

But instead, it was BW/Devs who sc***ed the players

Now we've no choice, and can't follow s***

Bioware,

Please, put it back to the way it was. This new system doesn't work for anyone. Your pissing off EVERYONE!

Thank you.

Yes please. Just make it so that group leader can't change to master loot after combat has started.

We used to be able to split the OEMs equally without any hassle: everyone needed at first and if they got it, they passed the rest. Now we have same people getting 2 or 3 and we have to stop the ops to find out who got it and roll if the winner already had one before. This is ridicilous. Change it back the way it was and just prevent changing the loot rules during combat.

Ive been running many events, ops, raids, world bosses. This new loot system is terrible. You never have any clue if the person that got the loot wants the loot, so you have to ask everytime. You also have no clue what dropped to even ask if you wanted it. Our guild runs the Operation Profiteer perk and its a tradition that if you win the cube you open it in front of the raid group, now we dont even know who wins it. The fun of rolling has also been sucked out, it was fun to see who could roll higher and the excitement of the roll off is gone.

So to reiterate

1. You dont know what dropped

2. You dont know if that person that got it even wanted it

3. the fun of rolling against your friends is gone

We know there are groups who used the Master Loot system to distribute gear. We want to reassure you that with these changes gear will still remain tradeable within your group for 2 hours and chat logs will still record who gear was given to.

Except that we've had groups that, several times, have had items not show up in the chat log, which results in everyone in the group having to search their inventory for the items.

I feel like a better solution to this would be asking a group leader what their loot policy is and making a decision to join the group or not based on that instead of changing the whole loot system for everyone. This can't possibly be a widespread issue, as I can only see this being an issue in NiM content or Duxn.

Frankly, I don't miss that stupid popup coming up while I'm still fighting trash mobs because someone couldn't wait to loot the boss. I do, however, not really care for all of the garbage that winds up in my inventory that I used to just pass on because I have no use for it and the guy that's leveling in the group might actually need it.

I just have to say, the new loot system is a step in the right direction, but if you really wanna make it more fair, just set it up so that whoever does the OP (or whatever) gets the loot. All parties get same loot (except gear is related to their class/specialty). Speaking as one who has done a lot of group content in hopes of getting some of the cool decos and stuff out there, but has never gotten any of it due to a combination of unlucky rolls and poor master loot management, it would be really nice if the system was a lot more fair. Most teams dont' want to stop long enough to be able to review the loot to see if people could use or need it, and that pop up window gets in the way. Another downside to system of rolling on loot is if your computer is a little slow or you are dead when loot is collected, you don't even get the chance to roll. If you don't want to give all parties invovled the good loot, maybe drop bound tokens towards purchase of said loot after the OP.

I am not going to cry over Master Loot gone, good riddance.

Still, loot distribution needs some work, my op healer got no less than 3 tanking pieces of gear in a MMFP. Like why am I getting tanking mods on a vibroknife? If I set my loot to a certain discipline that's not to get pieces I don't care about (especially when ops/scoundrels have no tanking discipline to beging with!)

Edited by demotivator

Totally idiotic change.

Only because some idiots used Master Loot in OPS to cheat other players to get all the loot.

Now I can not greed/need/cede or disassemble when looting.

in ALL other activity when this bloody idiotic change was only due to some Master Looter cheaters.

It is bloody annoying and a bad change most of all!

Easy way to deal with Master Looter cheaters:

Just put them in ignore and go with some DECENT OPS guys.

Problem solved!

The looting system now was neither asked for nor is it good.

Want the old mechanics for loot back.

Just discard Master Loot in OPS only and problem solved.

And before you could SEE the rolls as well as seeing if someone just needed all the time or plain cheated you with taking Master Loot.

Then you could just take your consequences with how to deal with it.

But now?

You see NOTHING.

And that is most vexing.

"Do I get the loot? Sorry, need to check my inventory.."

Just...Bah!

Edited by ARFett

During the Rakghoul Resurgence event that just ended I joined a number of "The Eyeless" 8 man pickup operations, story and hard mode. One of the main reasons to join that operation is for a shot at the "Barnacle of the Eyeless" drops. 2 drop in story mode and 4 in hard mode.

What appeared to have happened in each of those operations (based on scrolling up through loot messages) is the first person that looted the boss received all the Barnacles that dropped (either 2 or 4). Invariably the person that did get the Barnacle drops left the operation group immediately.

While the person getting those drops was no doubt happy, for everyone else this is a bad system.

At the very least those "Barnacle of the Eyeless" drops should be spread out among the entire operations group, not all go to the same person. Distribution should not be based on loot order, as that disadvantages ranged and healing classes.

While I won't comment on the "master looter" option, its not clear to me how this is an improvement over the "need/greed" option. I would prefer at least having need/greed for those Barnacle drops over what happen this past week.

Thank you for considering the feedback

During the Rakghoul Resurgence event that just ended I joined a number of "The Eyeless" 8 man pickup operations, story and hard mode. One of the main reasons to join that operation is for a shot at the "Barnacle of the Eyeless" drops. 2 drop in story mode and 4 in hard mode.

What appeared to have happened in each of those operations (based on scrolling up through loot messages) is the first person that looted the boss received all the Barnacles that dropped (either 2 or 4). Invariably the person that did get the Barnacle drops left the operation group immediately.

While the person getting those drops was no doubt happy, for everyone else this is a bad system.

At the very least those "Barnacle of the Eyeless" drops should be spread out among the entire operations group, not all go to the same person. Distribution should not be based on loot order, as that disadvantages ranged and healing classes.

While I won't comment on the "master looter" option, its not clear to me how this is an improvement over the "need/greed" option. I would prefer at least having need/greed for those Barnacle drops over what happen this past week.

Thank you for considering the feedback

sadly this is a relic from the prior system as they all dropped in one stack even before the changes, hopefully, with the adjustments made to this system prior to 7.0 they will be split up into individuals rolls

Edited by RikuvonDrake

Hi everyone,

We wanted to let you all know about an upcoming change that will be happening with Patch 6.3.2.

Currently, SWTOR has a Master Loot option which allows the party leader to choose who receives each gear piece and a Group Loot option where gear must be rolled on by members of the party and highest roll wins. This has led to unwanted friction during the loot process, so we are working to build an efficient process that removes this type of negative player experience and potentially harmful behaviors. In order to achieve this, we will be removing the Master Loot system to bring us closer to what we are calling the Personal Loot system.

This means that gear you get will go directly into your inventory. No more rolling, no more choosing who wins items. Part of our modernization efforts include improving the loot experience for all players. We know there are groups who used the Master Loot system to distribute gear. We want to reassure you that with these changes gear will still remain tradeable within your group for 2 hours and chat logs will still record who gear was given to.

We took a first step towards Personal Loot during the Onslaught expansion where gear was given based on your discipline. This has worked well, promoted a healthy player experience, and we want to continue building upon this system. Patch 6.3.2 will be the next step along that path as we move towards our 10th anniversary.

6.3.2 is currently targeted for end of the month/early September.

I simply wanted to say "THANK YOU!!!!!!" Holy smokes - thank you, thank you, thank you. Having seen games played with this (i.e. group starts with round robin then the leader drops and 2nd is master loot, grabs everything and logs out right then and there), I support this change. Look forward to more changes like this for player equability.