Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

As a commited PC user who despises Apple and everything they stand for and who thinks Steve Jobs was possibly the most overrated individual in human history I say...

YES!

The more people that can play this game the better. Anyone who wants this game to succeed as an MMO has to want it to be available on as many different platforms as possible in order to have access to as wide a playerbase as possible. A Mac client would be as big a benefit for PC players, almost, as it is for Mac users.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will support that they do it eventually. I am a Mac OS X user myself, but, honestly, right now there are so many more concerns they should address first before they spent time to develop a native client just so that I wouldn't have to reboot any more.

Until then there's Bootcamp or my custom build gaming PC.

Macs are an important and large audience for BioWare games, so I hope it will come sooner (before Summer) rather than later.

I think the only resource concern is to avoid porting some part of the game more than once (because they're still rapidly changing the Windows client), but even that's not as big a concern if they're porting using a Cider wrapper (which I expect they are). Making a Mac version should no more detract from work on the Windows client than moderating the forums, or working on Mass Effect 3.

Perhaps the biggest impact of working on a Mac port is finding bugs in the Windows client. If it's critical, you'll want it fixed. If not, it'll go into the bug report queue with all the rest.

So an i5 processor, HD 6770 & 4GB RAM is a crap gaming platform? OK. ;)

I support an OS X client, 100%. Nice to see Bioware does too. If it made financial sense to do it for most of their games in the past (and it has) it'll make even more sense now.

I'm assuming you're talking about a mac book pro/iMac. A 6770M is simply named that way to entice laptop users. It is not a 6770 desktop card packed into a laptop, its a different card entirely with about 3/4 the performance. The hardware wasnt my point though, My point was that, in your case with the mac book pro/iMac, you're paying 2500/1500 dollars for the gaming experience of a 500 dollar PC.

I'd play SWTOR more if I didn't have to reboot into Windows.

I loose too much going into windows.... Music, website links etc etc, yeah, its possible to have everything on the windows partition too, but I dont want to have to maintain 2 OS's.

I only bootcamped my iMac with windows to play this game, which I'm happy to do, but a mac client will always get my vote :)

/sign for a native mac client.

I play both OS's and they both run fine. Shadows and grass effects off on both,

Win7 64bit I5 3.3-3.7 2500k 16g ram ati 5770 hd. 1gig

MacBook Pro - I7 2.66 4g of ram nvidia GeForce GT 330m 512

Runs great on low to med settings. And boot camped.

/signed for Mac os client

I'm assuming you're talking about a mac book pro/iMac. A 6770M is simply named that way to entice laptop users. It is not a 6770 desktop card packed into a laptop, its a different card entirely with about 3/4 the performance. The hardware wasnt my point though, My point was that, in your case with the mac book pro/iMac, you're paying 2500/1500 dollars for the gaming experience of a 500 dollar PC.

I'm aware of the deceptive naming conventions of mobile GPUS, it's not exclusive to Apple.

As for your second point, that's assuming everyone buys a computer for the sole purpose of gaming. Not only is that incredibly short-sighted, it's completely irrelevant. The fact is, Macs are just as physically capable of playing TOR as other brands of computers. People's motivations for buying a Mac instead of some other brand is not a compelling argument against making an OS X client available for TOR.

Some people prefer OS X. Developers like Bioware and Blizzard have repeatedly proven that having a Mac client available is a viable business model for AAA games, which sets an excellent precedent for doing the same with TOR.

Edited by daemian

+1! I would LOVE a Mac version! I really hope it eventually happens. My entire industry runs on Macs so needless to say that's all I buy, and it's one of the main reasons I played WoW for years was because I could play it on the computers I already owned w/o any additional trouble.

I've been doing the bootcamp thing for the first time with SWTOR, but its such a PiTA not being able to tab out and do my other normal computer things when the game is slow (waiting on guildies etc), not to mention having the Windows OS on a drive inside my Mac just makes me feel so dirty, I feel like I should be giving my computer antibiotics.

Edited by DJCobbSalad

Absoloutely.

I'd love to not have to switch to bootcamp all the time. Heck i'd be happy if it would run in Fusion for now, which it did run fine in beta but since release my graphics card seems to have issues playing nice. (renders black screen)

I played wow on pc for years and then when I switched to mac I switched to the mac client and my word did it run well.

Same with SC2.

But I digress, I would love to hear from those running on a 27" iMac (early 2010) with the settings maxed though. It worked fine for me in beta but since release i've had to drop everything to low to get a smooth experience. Even after updating my Graphics drivers.

Figure I'm doing something wrong because I know how well windows 7 64 bit can run in bootcamp and with the quad core & 8 gig ram this machine should be able to run it effortlessly.

No, you can bootcamp and retain 95% of your computer's performance. Or you can just be like a rational person, and not buy an Apple computer to game on.

<--- owner of 3 OS X/iOS devices.

This, PC's are pretty far superior now a days. This was different a few back, but not anymore as PC's have caught up and passed MACs. Any gamer should never use a mac, they are honestly for older people or kids who know nothing about computers and want to pay a ton for less.

I am for mac OS support. I am confused as to why it is needed since Macs are overpriced PCs running an OS that can do less things than a PC.

Myths about macs, for those of you who do not not know.

1.) Macs are fast. FALSE.

The hardware in a 2000 dollar macbook pro is equivalent to the hardware in a 1300 dollar laptop PC. This is the most favorable comparison for a mac, meaning in some cases you could get the same performance for even less than 1300 dollars.

In case you are wondering the average mark up on an Apple product is 100% the cost of producing it. Its funny to see everyone attack the profits the oil industry makes when it only charges an 8 percent markup. granted volume is also important to profits, but the simply fact that a 2000 dollar mac only cost 1000 dollars to make should be enough to make you vomit.

Take into further consideration that the second fastest mobile GPU on the market is the Radeon 6990m. The fastest macbook pro has a 5770m. The 5770m is a decent mobile card, it should be able to run most games on medium settings. The 6990m on the other hand is much much, and i really can not emphasize really how much faster it is. If i go to sager PC i can get 2, thats right 2 6990m's crossfired for cheaper than a 17 inch macbook pro. Thats right, 2 cards that are each more than double the speed of a single 5770m for a lower price.

2.) Macs are good for the arts. (graphic design, movie production, stuff like that) FALSE. (well they are no better than their PC counterparts)

The software that you would use for these purposes is the same. And since the PC is likely to be twice as fast at the same price point, video editing would be that much faster on a PC.

I am not saying that no one should ever buy a mac, i honestly do not care what you do. That being said i am committed to letting people know that the only single advantage that a mac has over PC is a unibody, and perhaps looks, but that is subjective. For me the mac looks like a Lexus, the most boring thing you could ever own.

Edited by Culveren

The hardware in a 2000 dollar macbook pro is equivalent to the hardware in a 1300 dollar laptop PC. This is the most favorable comparison for a mac, meaning in some cases you could get the same performance for even less than 1300 dollars.

Would a $1300 PC run TOR "fast"? Yes, yes it would.

So what concern is it of yours if I want to pay more for my own version of that same "fast"?

You worry about your budget, I'll worry about mine. Fact of the matter is, Mac hardware is more than capable to crush TOR. 'Nuff said.