KOTFE Story and Companions

CharlesBoyd

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

Seeing all of the discussion around our Knights of the Fallen Empire announcement has been awesome! It means a lot to the writing team to see how much y’all care about the details of the story and characters of SWTOR, and all of the insightful questions and debates that flow from that. I’m here to hopefully shed a bit of light on a few of the most common questions I’ve seen.

Up front, I think the best answer I can give to any story question is that it’s always best to wait and see how the story itself will answer it. I personally just hate giving out spoilers, so I won’t be doing that here. I promise, the main storyline of KOTFE is all about the things y’all have been asking, and October is going to be here very soon. In the meantime, though, let’s see if we can’t at least clarify a couple of things now:

• The Outlander: your character’s past will be a key part of their identity as the Outlander moving forward. The choices you’ve made, romances you’ve pursued, your class, etc are all a part of who your character is, and those decisions will be honored in KOTFE; often in unexpected ways. How that works for characters who are created at level 60 is something we’ll dive into in the future, but we will not be setting a “canon” version of any class or world storyline. Your choices matter – that’s at the heart of our storytelling philosophy at BioWare.
  • Companions: there’s a ton of stuff going on with companions in this release, and we’re not ready to dive into most of it just yet. What I can say is that past companions will return in the story, sometimes as very critical parts of the overall story shared by all Outlanders. Which classes can recruit which characters, who can be romanced, who can you kill and who might betray you? You’ll have to play and see :) Finally, I’ve seen a lot of people referencing the KOTFE page’s character list as a list of companions – not everyone on that list will become a companion, and not every companion in the story is included in that list.
  • Valkorion: who is this guy? What happened to that other Emperor? Aren’t they both actually Jadus, who’s secretly Kephess, who’s actually a mutated clone of Kai Zykken created by Fez Burba for the Star Cabal’s secret war against the Shroud? OK, so I actually haven’t seen that theory, but IT’S ALL TRUE TELL EVERYONE BEFORE IT’S TOO LA----

[Charles had to take a few days off to relax, but he’ll be back in time to answer more questions at our Community Cantina event at San Diego Comic Con next month! - Musco]

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"not every companion in the story is included in that list."

You have given me some hope for Theron! Even though he is not a current companion, but HOPE!

Thank you, Charles!

P.S. I am beyond thrilled to know that my character's past will be honored. I cannot wait to see what happens regarding the choices she has made.

Edited by Amadahy

Valkorion: who is this guy? What happened to that other Emperor? Aren’t they both actually Jadus, who’s secretly Kephess, who’s actually a mutated clone of Kai Zykken created by Fez Burba for the Star Cabal’s secret war against the Shroud? OK, so I actually haven’t seen that theory, but IT’S ALL TRUE TELL EVERYONE BEFORE IT’S TOO LA----

I *********** knew it!

What I can say is that past companions will return in the story, sometimes as very critical parts of the overall story shared by all Outlanders. Which classes can recruit which characters, who can be romanced, who can you kill and who might betray you? You’ll have to play and see

Very good. Kill Quinn, romance LS Jaesa and it will be glorious. :cool:

Valkorion: who is this guy? What happened to that other Emperor? Aren’t they both actually Jadus, who’s secretly Kephess, who’s actually a mutated clone of Kai Zykken created by Fez Burba for the Star Cabal’s secret war against the Shroud? OK, so I actually haven’t seen that theory, but IT’S ALL TRUE TELL EVERYONE BEFORE IT’S TOO LA----

Seems legit. :rak_04:

Edited by jankiel

[Charles had to take a few days off to relax, but he’ll be back in time to answer more questions at our Community Cantina event at San Diego Comic Con next month! - Musco]

Wow, Musco. First you kill your clone in the new trailer, now this. What's next? ;)

Hey folks!

Seeing all of the discussion around our Knights of the Fallen Empire announcement has been awesome! It means a lot to the writing team to see how much y’all care about the details of the story and characters of SWTOR, and all of the insightful questions and debates that flow from that. I’m here to hopefully shed a bit of light on a few of the most common questions I’ve seen.

Up front, I think the best answer I can give to any story question is that it’s always best to wait and see how the story itself will answer it. I personally just hate giving out spoilers, so I won’t be doing that here. I promise, the main storyline of KOTFE is all about the things y’all have been asking, and October is going to be here very soon. In the meantime, though, let’s see if we can’t at least clarify a couple of things now:

• The Outlander: your character’s past will be a key part of their identity as the Outlander moving forward. The choices you’ve made, romances you’ve pursued, your class, etc are all a part of who your character is, and those decisions will be honored in KOTFE; often in unexpected ways. How that works for characters who are created at level 60 is something we’ll dive into in the future, but we will not be setting a “canon” version of any class or world storyline. Your choices matter – that’s at the heart of our storytelling philosophy at BioWare.
  • Companions: there’s a ton of stuff going on with companions in this release, and we’re not ready to dive into most of it just yet. What I can say is that past companions will return in the story, sometimes as very critical parts of the overall story shared by all Outlanders. Which classes can recruit which characters, who can be romanced, who can you kill and who might betray you? You’ll have to play and see :) Finally, I’ve seen a lot of people referencing the KOTFE page’s character list as a list of companions – not everyone on that list will become a companion, and not every companion in the story is included in that list.
  • Valkorion: who is this guy? What happened to that other Emperor? Aren’t they both actually Jadus, who’s secretly Kephess, who’s actually a mutated clone of Kai Zykken created by Fez Burba for the Star Cabal’s secret war against the Shroud? OK, so I actually haven’t seen that theory, but IT’S ALL TRUE TELL EVERYONE BEFORE IT’S TOO LA----

And how about Treek and HK? I assume since we've seen them added later on, we'll keep them no matter what?

Can you confirm or deny the last boss of KotFE will be Musco?

Arcann: The Dark Prince, who is basically Cyborg-Musco, is probably going to be a companion / member of your player's alliance.

+1 For Kephess reference

Edited by azudelphi

Hey folks!

I have expected that a lot of yellow answers right now would be answers that would basically say "please wait a little longer, you will get the juicy details at the right time". That type of response is typically frustrating for a player to hear, and not satisfying. However, this yellow post was pretty funny, gave a tiny amount of info, and for whatever reason after reading it I'm OK with waiting a bit longer to get more details. It gave me that nice warm and fuzzy feeling of stuff to come. Good job guys.

First off, thanks for the new info, and I really am interested in seeing where this new story goes!

That said, in the RP community I'm a part of (and I figure this is mirrored with a lot of others who are really into the RP scene), there's this real worry about the time skip. One has been confirmed as part of an IGN interview with your producer, and time skips are a... difficult thing to weave into RP stories, especially if they're significant time jumps.

If its a few months of a time skip, then that's fairly easy to deal with. But if it gets into years, or even decades, then there's the question of what happened to our RP characters, because it'd be silly to have them ALL get frozen in carbonite or what have you.

The longer the time jump, the more has to be done. We'll need to wrap up our current plots, figure out where they'll be in the world of the new content and what they were up to in the interim years. There's great potential for it, no question, but just knowing how much of a time skip we're looking at would be enormously helpful when it comes to figuring out how we're going to handle it.

Thanks.

The choices you’ve made, romances you’ve pursued, your class, etc are all a part of who your character is, and those decisions will be honored in KOTFE; often in unexpected ways. How that works for characters who are created at level 60 is something we’ll dive into in the future, but we will not be setting a “canon” version of any class or world storyline. Your choices matter – that’s at the heart of our storytelling philosophy at BioWare.

If anyone jumped into Mass Effect 2 without playing Mass Effect 1 (such as I did), you can probably take a guess how BioWare will solve this problem in KOTFE. At the start of ME2 without any of the prior decisions of ME1, BioWare had a brief questionnaire for you to decide your backstory (such as who you romanced) which definitely effects all the relationships between characters going forward. I'd imagine this is the simplest solution for them to implement... but not nearly as fun as running through 1-50 if you're looking for that BW story experience. I definitely felt like I missed something on ME1.

I get why people would want to skip to lvl 60 to get to the new content, but there are SO many hours of dialog and choices their going to miss out on if they haven't leveled the class yet. Its going to be a tough job for BW to sift through all 8 classes and pick out all of the critical decisions to define each class.

• The Outlander: your character’s past will be a key part of their identity as the Outlander moving forward. The choices you’ve made, romances you’ve pursued, your class, etc are all a part of who your character is, and those decisions will be honored in KOTFE; often in unexpected ways.

So I'm curious, will this just take into account class stories, or will the decisions we made during side quests, primarily planetary arcs, be included as well? Most probably don't matter, but there were a few quests that seemed to be pretty important/interesting.