Slicers hosing other crafters with missions

Shodori

So it appears that slicers get to hose all the other crafters for the crafting missions

Prices of missions have skyrocketed on my server to 30k... when i can barely sell T2 purples with no augment for 40k let alone all the desttroying of T1 epics and rares to learn the correct recipe.

Missions should be bonus's granted to you through getting gifts or have a mission to get those missions.

Slicers win in the end again.

The problem is this:

If a crafter wants to get a rare mission item, particularly from a crit, they need to do multiple missions, each costing several thousand credits, and taking 40min+ of a companion's time.

An epic mission is a guaranteed 2hr success, even if you ignore the additional materials, its the only consistent way to ensure success.

If the price for mandalorian iron is 5k a piece, the worth of the iron alone is 20-25k from an epic 340 Underworld Trading discovery. Couple that with the ciridium, which is worth another 5-10k and the cloth/gifts - and you start to realise that it is not slicing that is the problem.

Mission selection is very limited for rare mats, and the epics basically guarantee rare mats - so they charge market value for them: if market value is inflated very high from other sources, this is the cause of the problem.

If the mission discoveries are too plentiful in comparison, then thats a problem however.

Either way, the only way to make the sliced stuff cheaper is to make the base mission stuff easier to acquire.

It's quite funny because slicers in my guild have been handing the ones they don't want themselves to other members like they are going out of fashion.

No one needs silly amounts of money(well not slicers) right now and helping a friend is reward enough for some people.

Edited by Gwal

So it appears that slicers get to hose all the other crafters for the crafting missions

Prices of missions have skyrocketed on my server to 30k... when i can barely sell T2 purples with no augment for 40k let alone all the desttroying of T1 epics and rares to learn the correct recipe.

Missions should be bonus's granted to you through getting gifts or have a mission to get those missions.

Slicers win in the end again.

Lets nerf slicing again so they can never gain profit!11!!!!1!!

What's needed is a small % charge on the deposit for an item that expires on the GTC.

At the moment I can post something to the GTC at vastly inflated prices and 'fish' for a sucker or someone desperate. If it doesn't sell, I can just post it again. It costs me nothing to do this.

In markets where demand outweighs supply and all the reasonably- or acceptably-priced items pass through the market pretty quickly, most occasional visitors will only see the overpriced items in stock. This creates the illusion that these are 'normal' prices to anyone who doesn't pay much attention to the market. They then either obliviously play along by overpricing their items or wisely look for other points of trade, like guilds.

Meanwhile those of us that deliberately overprice our items are happy to see the market wither, as it means it's more likely that someone will pay over-the-odds for our stuff.

Putting a fee for a failed-sale that scales with asking price creates a deterrent to posting and reposting things at inflated prices and holding out for someone willing to pay silly money, because it diminishes the potential return with each failed sale.

Hold on a moment, let me get this right; crafters are complaining that slicers have drastically upped the prices on their missions, and that the new prices aren't worth it because nobody's buying their items? Wow, what a shame nobody warned you all that this would happen while you were busily whinging that slicing had to be nerfed or it would ruin the economy.

Oh wait.....:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
Lets nerf slicing again so they can never gain profit!11!!!!1!!

theres a large issue with that, if used with crafting skills there was never any profit being made by any slicers! since 1.2 slicers make a loss even at 300 missions.this has seriously shafted anyone who used a slicers credits to make their crafting skills go up by making gear they actually used!.i can no longer afford to make armor for my armormech; who is my main toon, or parts for my arms tech as a result,again for my main toon .slicers getting 'nerfed' means those who don't want to race to level 50 now have no choice as we can't afford it.especially if you want to keep your toon alive! not all players use slicers for profit, so perhaps you shouldn't allow your bitterness over bad experiences with slicers to screw up other peoples games....

Consider this; the Slicer can only sell the schematic once, you can make that item an infinite number of times. So maybe you don't recoop your entire investment on the very first craft, but over the course of time, you likely will. Augmented items are still going for around 100K - if you paid 40K to learn the schematic, and invested maybe another 20K on mats and wasted items trying to get that augmented item, and then sell it for 100K, you're still up 40K. I see no problem with slicers charging 30-40K for a schematic that only they can obtain.

Putting a fee for a failed-sale that scales with asking price creates a deterrent to posting and reposting things at inflated prices and holding out for someone willing to pay silly money, because it diminishes the potential return with each failed sale.

Your proposed solution may have unintended consequences in the long term. What this essentially does is create a barrier to entry to the GTN - most people will, as you intend, lower prices just to avoid the "penalty", or just vend. However, at this point of the game there are a handful of people that have a lot (a LOT) of money, and there's nothing stopping someone from picking a segment and buying up all the cheap goods, hoarding and marking them up even higher than they normally would just to cover costs in the event of a loss, until everyone gets used to the idea of paying more (provided said person camps the GTN for weeks to make sure nothing gets by). By cutting off supply (with the penalty accompanying a failed sale), you could be driving up the cost of goods instead.

This is what makes sense to me - for a given rate of supply, prices come down with competition, or with lower demand. The real solution is to have more people sell what you sell at a quantity/price that does not make sense for you to buy out - and that means letting the market play itself out. And some people may decide taking slicing is worth it (until they decide/realize it's not).

As for the people who don't pay attention - we can't always cater to the lowest common denominator, and don't always have to intervene.

I'm not an economics major so I wish I can be more eloquent about this. :o

To the OP: If you're jelli, you have options. Or just try things out to enable yourself to have fun. It's not a rat race like real life thankfully.

What's needed is a small % charge on the deposit for an item that expires on the GTC.

At the moment I can post something to the GTC at vastly inflated prices and 'fish' for a sucker or someone desperate. If it doesn't sell, I can just post it again. It costs me nothing to do this.

In markets where demand outweighs supply and all the reasonably- or acceptably-priced items pass through the market pretty quickly, most occasional visitors will only see the overpriced items in stock. This creates the illusion that these are 'normal' prices to anyone who doesn't pay much attention to the market. They then either obliviously play along by overpricing their items or wisely look for other points of trade, like guilds.

Meanwhile those of us that deliberately overprice our items are happy to see the market wither, as it means it's more likely that someone will pay over-the-odds for our stuff.

but if youre on a weak server, no one will post anything anymore, and then no one will even look to buy. Having no cost for posting does have its benefits.

. I see no problem with slicers charging 30-40K for a schematic that only they can obtain.

Yup, me too. When I see schematics for 2 or 3K I have a big fun.... Schematics grade 22 should be charged at least 50 - 100K. Or even more, this is one time investment, later is only profit.

Basic tenet of economics: Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Not more, not less.

If people weren't buying missions for those prices I'd drop my prices.

I think I am putting this in my sig!

And actually I would like to say that that is exactly what I do. when I post something, anything to sell I look at the going prices on the server I am on and the price mine accordingly. If I do not sell at a certain price after a day or two I lower my price and try again. If the price is so low I cannot make a profit I sell it to a vendor and stop producing that particular product and move to a different one.

Edited by KidRaid