Is using server transfers to force a rename an exploit?

scotthomas

I just checked the GTN on Harbinger for the current price of Character Rename tokens and found it's sitting at twice the price I'm used to seeing it at (~2M vs ~1M).

I'm particularly struck by this as, with 90CC server transfers and a little bit of finagling, you can rename a character for less than a fifth of the price of the Cartel Market item.

So now I'm wondering why the bottom hasn't dropped out of the Rename token market. Is using strategic server transfers to force a rename considered an exploit or something?

I'm asking because I was considering doing a server shuffle to rename a toon and I thought I'd check the GTN first to see if the transfer price had had an effect on the pricing on the rename token.

I'd like to get a rename as cheaply as I can, obviously, but I don't want to wind up getting banned for it.

I just checked the GTN on Harbinger for the current price of Character Rename tokens and found it's sitting at twice the price I'm used to seeing it at (~2M vs ~1M).

I'm particularly struck by this as, with 90CC server transfers and a little bit of finagling, you can rename a character for less than a fifth of the price of the Cartel Market item.

So now I'm wondering why the bottom hasn't dropped out of the Rename token market. Is using strategic server transfers to force a rename considered an exploit or something?

I'm asking because I was considering doing a server shuffle to rename a toon and I thought I'd check the GTN first to see if the transfer price had had an effect on the pricing on the rename token.

I'd like to get a rename as cheaply as I can, obviously, but I don't want to wind up getting banned for it.

The price is what it is because the CM is selling rename consumables for 1000CC, so why would anyone buy them for 1000CC just to sell them cheaply because transfers are going for 90CC?

And I doubt moving characters around within the limits of the transfer system would be considered an exploit.

I wouldn't worry about this one. You're still doing transfers and the name change is, pretty much, forced upon you. :) Name change is a part of the transfer service, one might even say and he wouldn't be far from truth at all. If you were to get banned for this it would be like banning people for using legacy crystal transfer instead of spending cc on a legacy unlock. Edited by Alec_Fortescue

No, this is not an exploit. This price reduction is a "marketing gimmick" to get you to transfer servers. If transferring off (and back again) leads to a name change that is a normal event. You might be "gaming" the system, but it is hardly something BW/EA is going to care about because you are still spending the CC. That's the thing with these transfers, you HAVE to spend the CC - there is no credits option to do this, unlike the rename token which you can get on the GTN. Yes, someone spent CC on the rename token, but you don't have to.

It is not an exploit, changing a name is a potential outcome of doing a server move even if you are doing a sever move to get a cheap name change. Most people will not want to move servers just to get a name change. A few will but a majority of people moving characters are not moving them for that reason.

I think there is a problem in the name database.

I had a character that I transferred over and it worked on Ebon Hawk, despite when I tried to create a char on there it said the name was taken. I thought "Great, maybe I'll try it on Harbinger." Nope. No go. But when I got a name change, it said the name was taken. No big deal.

So I tried mailing the person with my char's name to offer them a deal for a name change. It said I couldn't mail myself.