Why aren't Weapons a Part of Outfit Designer?

Elemutation

Personally I'm only in favour of this if the weapon "outfit" slot is restricted to the proper weapon type for the class. Otherwise, you'd have things like Troopers carrying lightsabers, but firing rockets, etc.

BTW, in addition to something that has been mentioned earlier - you can switch weapons very quickly. Simply put the weapons in your inventory and then drag the weapons to a skillbar. You can then simply click on the weapon's icon on the skillbar to equip it. (Have all the weapons - that is the original and the new one(s) - on the skillbar so you can just click between them.)

Then there's no need to open your inventory to change weapons. (And less need for BW to take time away from bug fixing to make outfit slots.)

Edited by JediQuaker

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'm only in favour of this if the weapon "outfit" slot is restricted to the proper weapon type for the class. Otherwise, you'd have things like Troopers carrying lightsabers, but firing rockets, etc.

Well, that is the only way it could really work with the character specific animations, so I am not too concerned about this.

Much more likely they find technical hurdles that prevent them from doing it, for one reason or another. Why? Because this is a very large and complex code base, originally written by hundreds of staff members who have been gone for years now. Depending on how well things are coded and commented, it could be straightforward, or it could be a freaking nightmare of a Gordian Knot.

We've been discussing this one a lot recently, and we're working on how we could fit it into the schedule for this year. Once that gets firmed up we'll let y'all know :)

GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN!!!! Now say that about companions as well. Say it. SAY IT!!!!!!

Well, that is the only way it could really work with the character specific animations, so I am not too concerned about this.

Much more likely they find technical hurdles that prevent them from doing it, for one reason or another. Why? Because this is a very large and complex code base, originally written by hundreds of staff members who have been gone for years now. Depending on how well things are coded and commented, it could be straightforward, or it could be a freaking nightmare of a Gordian Knot.

Everyone make a note of this time and date. I agree with Andryah.

Everyone make a note of this time and date. I agree with Andryah.

....where's the punchline?

You can't just leave it at that...finish the joke!!! This IS a joke right??? :confused:

Anzel....:eek:

I think most players would love this appearance feature added to the game. So great to hear.

That said.... note closely what Charles said and how he said it. It's VERY open ended. It may end up like other things promised in the past... where they say they are working on something and then come back later and tell us they could not get it to work and have tabled it.

Also note >>>> this is the first post in the forum from Charles in almost two years, even though he is Creative Director for SWTOR, and has had a key role in SWTOR for years. Positive context: If Keith achieves nothing as Producer other then more transparency and interaction with players by key people responsible for the progress of SWTOR.... that is good news. Negative context: But of course it's not enough.. words have to be followed up by actions that match the words.

I have to give this "promise" a vote of -------> embrace it if/when we actually see it, and temper expectations until then.

I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, though, what will likely happen is that within a few weeks, we will start to see threads demanding an ETA for the "promised" weapon designer.

I just want to thank all you guys for making this thread as big as it is so that this idea could get attention. I had no idea it would escalate this beautifully!! I just threw this out there as a simple suggestion, but it's really something else to have it be recognized like this. Keep 'em coming!!

• Dev Post

It's so great to see everyone's awesome ideas and enthusiasm in this thread - keep 'em coming!

So, just out of curiosity: what's been keeping it back? Technical problems?

Honestly, it comes down to priorities - we've been very focused on features that supported story chapters and gameplay, so this didn't make it to the top of the list. But this year, we've shifted some of our focus to broader features that improve the overall gameplay experience and add better customization and convenience options. So with that in mind, it makes sense to see if we can add weapons to Outfit Designer this year.

Also note >>>> this is the first post in the forum from Charles in almost two years, even though he is Creative Director for SWTOR, and has had a key role in SWTOR for years. Positive context: If Keith achieves nothing as Producer other then more transparency and interaction with players by key people responsible for the progress of SWTOR.... that is good news.

This is an entirely fair critique; I have always read the forums daily, but it's silly to have gone so long without actually posting. I promise be more talkative in the future. Keith definitely sets a good example in this regard :)

I just want to thank all you guys for making this thread as big as it is so that this idea could get attention. I had no idea it would escalate this beautifully!! I just threw this out there as a simple suggestion, but it's really something else to have it be recognized like this. Keep 'em coming!!

Charles deserves the credit...his post in here gives us hope. There's not a week that goes by where someone in Mumble doesn't ask about cosmetic weapons. It would be well worth the investment!

This is an entirely fair critique; I have always read the forums daily, but it's silly to have gone so long without actually posting. I promise be more talkative in the future. Keith definitely sets a good example in this regard :)

You're good people, Boyd. I hope you do become more talkative. A nice dialog between players and devs would probably rinse away a lot of the salt we see on these forums ; )

Edited by masterceil

It's so great to see everyone's awesome ideas and enthusiasm in this thread - keep 'em coming!

Honestly, it comes down to priorities - we've been very focused on features that supported story chapters and gameplay, so this didn't make it to the top of the list. But this year, we've shifted some of our focus to broader features that improve the overall gameplay experience and add better customization and convenience options. So with that in mind, it makes sense to see if we can add weapons to Outfit Designer this year.

As you have mentioned the story and a desire to answer more questions will you be addressing any of the many issues that arose through KOTFE and KOTET. Some just off the top of my head.

1) The Vast Number of Plot Holes created by Valkorian

2) Removing everyones companions and then returning them in a very superficial way where they are hardly used despite saying you were taking your time to return them. Look at most recently Elara and Quinn who make an appearance at the start and then not seen again till they turn up in your roster while you spend the entire time with Theron.

3) Making the player the most powerful person in the galaxy who then goes onto planets and takes one companion with them to do all the heavy lifting, while not playing out any real actions of being head of the eternal alliance.

4) Progressing the galaxy 5 years but then having 90% of the content back in time and then having alliance alerts intermingled on these planets so you are both back in time and 5 years in the future at the same time.

5) Once again moved to a betrayal story line, because while everyone on Zakuul loved and worshiped Valkorian, Arcann and Vaylin despite being homicidal losers. The player is the person that everyone actually wants to betray no matter what you do.

6) Spending 2 years running a story arc that was basically keeping up with the Valkorians with no replay value and sidelined the player as a third bit character behind the Valkorians and Lana and Theron.

7) Spending a year holding up that Choices matter because one choice effected Koth, only for it to make no difference with events on Voss playing out the same and then events on the Gravestone happening the same.

These are just some of the many story related issues that spring to mind, there are plenty more. Perhaps not an issue but I would also love to know what Valkorian meant when he said 'a Mistake has been made but by who.' I can only guess that this was an inside joke by the writing team to whoever it was that crafted the Keeping up with the Valkorian Arc and thought thought the Zakuul story made any sense given what the Emperor had previously been doing didn't fit in with this at all even with the best will in the retcon world going.

There isn't much point biting yours or Keith's head off about it, but one aspect of overall gameplay that could be made better, removing the GC. That would go a long way to making the warzone on this game die out. the GC has losts it's meaning and purpose, it's become a meaningless grind that has seperated the f2p'ers from the subbers by this arbitrary barrier that limits content from those who don't pay for a sub and forced many people from the game.

Frankly Charles, Ben Irving stuck a knife into the side of SWTOR in a self-inflicted manner with that GC and ever since this game has been bleeding it's life force all over the place. The knife needs to come out and the operation to repair the game to commence and then the healing process, only then will any of us see if there are any more priorities for this game.

I desperately want to see this game rebound back stronger than ever and a weapons outfitting doesn't mean much compared to more serious things that could be done.

Edited by Celise

Sounds like some great things are in the works this year. I've popped back into the game after a couple years (read Story Mode RPG - Not MMO) and look forward to seeing some positive changes.

Glad to see Charles jumping into the mix and look forward to seeing what Keith is actually able to deliver.

I hope these communications are not short lived as our class representatives program had been and we are going to see some good changes coming down the road.

Awesome. Thanks! :D

Question...Which sound will play? The sound of the appearance slot weapon or the actual equipped weapon?

It will be bugged, and the actual sound will be that of a Kowakian monkey-lizard working a full-on Spice induced cackle-fest. :p

Edited by Andryah

CharlesBoyd - Would it be too much to ask if the outfit designer bug will be finally fixed? it's been like this for almost a year despite repeated posts on the subject which to my knowledge have all gone unanswered by BW.

As someone who likes to tinker with the outfits it's a right pain in the backside to open the designer window then have various body parts dissapear randomly, so you close it, open it again and hope it lasts long enough for you to see the results before bugging out again.

I have no wish to be a broken record on this issue but speaking as somone who has been a sub here from the very start it's annoying to see such an issue repeatedly ignored.

Anything you can do to fix this issue would be appreciated by a lot more than just me.

ps: welcome back to the forums :cool:

BTW, in addition to something that has been mentioned earlier - you can switch weapons very quickly. Simply put the weapons in your inventory and then drag the weapons to a skillbar. You can then simply click on the weapon's icon on the skillbar to equip it. (Have all the weapons - that is the original and the new one(s) - on the skillbar so you can just click between them.)

Then there's no need to open your inventory to change weapons. (And less need for BW to take time away from bug fixing to make outfit slots.)

Sure, but this implicitly assumes you only want to use modifiable weapons, and that you are willing and able to pay to mod out all the weapons you want to do this with. Right now Armor crafting for looks is a possibility, you have the entire range of statted armors to use strictly for looks, because the non-endgame stats don't matter - only the actual equipped-armor stats matter, not the stuff in the slots of Outfit Designer. OTOH, Arms crafting and Artificing is almost useless because you have to use the stats of the weapon, which is almost always sub-par.

But this year, we've shifted some of our focus to broader features that improve the overall gameplay experience and add better customization and convenience options.

A big improvement to gameplay experience would be an option to turn off DvL pop-ups! They can certainly distract from other elements that more deserve the player's attention...

A big improvement to gameplay experience would be an option to turn off DvL pop-ups! They can certainly distract from other elements that more deserve the player's attention...

Yes please. I honestly couldn't be less interested in the DvL thing, and the popup tends to get in the way when I'm in the middle of something important.

I wouldn't mind if they could manage to open more weapon types to classes they would be appropriate for. Different lightsabers for Force users, different types of blasters and vibroblades for other classes like Bounty Hunters, Smugglers, etc. From what I've heard, that would be difficult because weapon animations are bound to class rather than the weapon itself, but I feel as if it would be worth working on.

I don't buy the excuse that they must be restricted because of PvP. There are other ways to solve that issue, such as nameplate colour coding. If an Assassin would prefer a single blade, who is to say that's inappropriate? One would think a smaller, quicker blade would be a beneficial asset for someone whose primary skills are stealth and speed.

On the other hand, who's to say a Juggernaut, whose skills lie in heavy armour and brute strength should not have a larger, more powerful weapon like a dualsaber?

Operatives use a pistol in their cutscenes, why isn't that an option for them? It would only make sense, they obviously know how to use one.

I think giving people more options for their weaponry, even if only cosmetically, would have far more benefits than drawbacks, and we should try to be a little more open minded to reasonable allowances of freedom.