No Interfactional Emails

Geeluc

God I hate games that do this. I want to send credits and items to my freaking alt and god knows I would like to have a friendly chat with any of the opposite factions as well as insults.

WE HAVE IGNORE BUTTONS FOR A REASON.

Never had to deal with this kind of crap back in galaxies.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a restriction we're working to lift soon. :)

This is damn cool. Will we be able to send attached items or just mail? I really would like to know this before I decide where to create my republic toons.

Edited by Liedros

It's a restriction we're working to lift soon. :)

is this a restriction you are lifting for characters on the same account or for everyone. me personally would like the restriction to be lifted on just characters of the same account

Oh yes, keep prohibit inter-faction mail so Gold Sellers can make their credits through Nar Shaadaa in the name of Demand and Supply.

In fact, when I started playing on the Imperial side, I suddenly realize why the Reps always lose in Warzone in our servers. There are a lot more populations in the Imperial side and a lot of players spending time crafting as well. Frequently I can hardly find any good gears in the Reps GTN, and even if I manage to find one, they are usually very expensive. On the contrary, I can find good gear on the Imperial GTN pretty easily with half the price of that on the Reps GTN. If players can get good gear easily with half price, I am sure that they can do much better in Wazone if you assume they have the same skill.

Enabling inter-faction mail would provide some sort of solution to faction balance.

As for the GTN in Nar Shaadaa, maybe they should simply be replaced with one Reps-only GTN and one Imps-Only GTN so player can access them in Nar Shaadaa while leveling, without having to travel all the way back to their fleets to access the GTN. A neutral GTN that hardly anyone is using, except for personal inter-faction trade or gold-sellers business does not make sense. Why are they trying to create something that fails badly in WoW? Don't they know that no one bother to use the neutral AH in WoW?

I know tons of people who use the Goblin AH in WoW, including myself. This is an easy way to have your friend help you move gold and goods between your different faction toons for maximum profit making (or avoiding a particularly high item cost). If you don't take advantage of it, you're foolish.

I don't mind not having cross faction mail, since it will lead to nothing but abuse and has proven that time and again in other games. I get enough gold-spammer mail now just on Imperial side. I obviously do not want more from the ones spamming on Republic as well.

What annoys the crap out of me in quite a few MMOs is that they have the separate auction houses to begin with, like it'll be the end of the universe if everyone didn't post to the same AH. It's silly, arbitrary, a waste of developer time and resources, and makes the games seem smaller than they already do.

Edited by Malkavier

They are the enemies. Are you a traitor? Are you leaking secret intelligence to the other side?

WOW doesn't let you mail stuff to alliance from Horde so you can't even claim that.

You should feel lucky Bioware allows you to talk to other factions.

Can someone explain why not?

I'm assuming it's so you can't sell things on the opposing GTN, but why can't I even send an email to one of my toons from Rebl to Emp?

Sooooo...what other MMO have you played where you could do this???????

I do it all the time in City of Heroes. But then again, that game also has customizable UI, combat logs, global chat, global chat channels, cross faction teaming, cross faction trading, global(not server specific) market, etc.

A lot of things that this game should.

It is the same reason they took out cross-faction talking. A minority of the players used it as an excuse to harass and troll people of the opposing faction.

Seriously? If that was the reason then ALL chat should be disabled. The amount of nonsense that I see directed at same faction people in "General" can't be any worse than anything cross faction.

This is just silly and redundant. The only reason they don't allow cross-faction mail is because a few people are too lazy to ignore the scores of ignorant players who would rather spend their time messaging someone with "harassing notes". I am a staunch Republican (only in the star wars universe, I mean yuck) and I made an Imperial (specifically a Sith Marauder) because the designers (rather inappropriately) decided to give different and often better bonuses to the opposing factions companions. Vette has the only +5 Treasure Hunting in the game and Kira's +2 just isn't good enough. I was looking for a viable Artifice crafter that could supply my alts across the board only to find out that I can't cross faction mail? Not even to myself? Why, because of immersion? Let me make one point perfectly clear, anyone who has the audacity to say that they play an MMORPG for the "Role Playing" is not only a complete dumptruck (think about it) but also doesn't deserve the air they steal. Even this game, which improves upon the lacking of MMO Role Playing drastically, still puts you on a single path that you are FORCED (pun not intended but I'll still take it) to follow and you cannot, no matter how hard you try, deviate from that path. If you want immersion play an actual RPG not an MMO, here we come to escape and for some of us that means being able to cross faction mail because the Empire has one decent companion bonus that I can't get on the Republic just because the designers (like most of the emo kids in the world) where not hugged enough as children so they want red lightsabers and to be "evil".

legacy system disagrees with you..

Not really. Characters on the same legacy aren't neccessarily related or even friends. They can (and probably should) be enemies.

I definitely plan on having my imp legacy characters be enemies of my pub characters.

edit: And I'll still have absolutely no qualms about mailing stuff back and forth (or using the hutt GTN to do the same).

Roleplay takes a back seat to convenience in this case.

Edited by GnatB

They are the enemies. Are you a traitor? Are you leaking secret intelligence to the other side?

WOW doesn't let you mail stuff to alliance from Horde so you can't even claim that.

Actually, you can mail heirlooms across servers and factions in WoW.

I'd like to wear Sith outfits :p, but i dont think thats implemented yet

That's impossible even if you use the neutral GTN to acquire one. As soon as you equip it, it turns into the republic mesh map for the item. Quite a few people bought light armor pants on the republic side only to finally manage to get them onto their sith characters and watch in frustration as they turned into skirts.

Edited by Caelrie

star wars galaxies you could :D

heck rebels and imperials could share the same house

See, I liked the fact that in SWG, you joined the game as neutral. It was only as you got to level 10, that you chose if you wanted Reb or Imp.

And once you had done that, you could drop one and join the other.

the Imps had the JSF, so myself and a mate spent a couple of weeks 'undercover' as Imps, getting the ship and a few other quests, and then went back to Rebs. Brilliant!

it's such a shame you HAVE to choose sides here, even before you've named your toon!

Sith Vs Republic

Why did you create your first toon?

Because it was the first one on the list of 8.

Why did you pick the faction you did?

Because he was a Trooper and the Trooper is a Republic toon. I then went on to create a Smuggler, a Jedi Knight, a Jegi Consular, a Bounty Hounter, an Imperial Agent, a Sith Warrior and a Sith Inquisitor. They ended up in their respective factions because that is where they are created.

Once you have answered that question you would have answered why you can't send cross faction mail.

Actually, I haven't.

Wardrobes is not an answer, before you try to be clever.

Actually, it is. If I get a weapon on a Republic/Imperial toon that I know my Imperial/Republic toon can use why shouldn't I be able to send it to them?

We all play mmo's for escapism and for fun, but when you very first create that toon, you decide on how you want him/her to be.

True. When I created my Trooper I wanted him to be a stalwart defender of the Republic and so he is. When I created my Bounty Hunter I wanted him to be out for himself, looking to number 1 first and to get even with the bastard that killed his mentor and so he is.

How is my sending a Blaster Pistol my Trooper found to my Bounty Hunter any different from my sending that same pistol to my Smuggler. Story wise my Trooper doesn't know my Smuggler or my Bounty Hunter. But I do.

You seem to miss the concept that I am (or we are) playing the game. Not our toons.

If you wanted to be the opposite of what you created why didn't you create that faction first?

Explained above, but let me expand a little: I want to experience the story of all the classes that is why I created 8 toons: 1 of each class; 4 in each faction. I want to play the good-guy with the Trooper and I want to be power-hungry ex-slave on my Sith Inquisitor.

That shouldn't prevent me from taking things from one of my toons and transferring it to another of my toons. No matter what faction that toon is on.

Sorry, but logic is flawed and you know it!

Actually it isn't. I am playing the game not my toons. You're logic is flawed in thinking that you are your toon. You play your toon and that toon lives in the world that was created for him. While playing that toon you have him react to that world as you want to play him.

PS you seen the films, or at least know the story line, so you know what each side is about, so yet again, why create the faction you did if you didn't want to roleplaying somewhat how they are :)

I do roleplay each toon as I want to.

Just remember: the 3rd wall exists. You are behind that 3rd wall controlling your toons. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to mail things between your toons. It's not like my Trooper is going to rebel against me for taking that random drop and sending it to my Bounty Hunter. Just like he doesn't rebel against me when I take those Scavenging mats and put them up on the GTN for some other player to buy.

Edited by ZeroPlus

I just ran into this and it totally sucks. I did go through the whole thread, and I am glad to hear it might be lifted. I created my first two chars in Empire because seemed cool to try out the Sith. But I am a PvE player and wanted to experience a new story line to char #3 is a Jedi. My two Sith are L50 with crew skills, so I wanted to help out my Jedi with some crafted low level stuff... no way.

I think is fine, but no restriction should be there between alts of the same account. I am playing them, one or the other, paying to play, so what I do to help one char or the other should be my concern. Either allow me to send email between my alts, or give me a shared storage (seems harder to implement, but whatever).

To some of the comments :

- immersion : give me a break. I consider the email system sooo far out of the storyline almost as far out as adjusting your resolution on preferences. Come on, you really see Darth whatever buying a lightsaber at the market and waiting for it to arrive as an email attachment? Really?? :-)

- Funny enough, I DO get SPAM!!

- If the other side starts sending ugly mail or whatever, you can (a) delete it or (b) make it like chat, you can subscribe to a channel, or not. So, you don't want to see a channel, you unsubscribe. You want to talk do-do to the other side, be my guest.

Really, any discussion about story line or immersion is ridiculous. email, vendors, even the market place are NOT SW lore. They are constructs of any MMO. And in most MMOs, you DO get a shared storage/vault/chest etc...

Smuggler: Depends on how well they're paying.

bounty hunter: likewise; pay me well enough and I'll even take down an imperial admiral or 2.

I can mail boa stuff from alliance to horde and vice versa.

hey, they let us talk, so they're unlike wow in this regard. So it's reasonable for them to add mail, eh? Edited by ferroz

Sorry? We can communicate with the enemy how?
Hi... this thread is asking for the ability to do this in a better way.... maybe you should read it and get up to speed :cool:

as for how we can communicate now: face to face, including working together toward a common cause (like eliminating certain pirates on hoth, or dealing with lord smashface).

We cannot send items to the enemy,
yeah, that's kind of the point of the thread...

Not your response has this has anything to do with most of the post you quoted, which is talking about why a republic would want to talk to an imperial or vice versa...

Edited by ferroz

Psychological warfare. Remember when they used to drop flyers over enemy territory with airplanes, or convey messages over a megaphone?

Diversions. Ohh the possibilities. Letter bombs. Traps. Traps? That reminds me of something ...

Being able to mail stuff to yourself on the other faction will be nice. How often did I have some nice drops but not the proper faction for my alt. (I know, could use the GTN.)

How on earth can you claim it's 'not against the background'
Because it's not.

We aren't talking about true civilians here, who could quite legitimately have relatives living on a planet controlled by the otherside. What we are talking about are fanatically devoted people who idiologically disagree with everything the otherside does.
No, none of my characters are fanatically loyal to the republic or empire.

You can feel free to roleplay that way if you want, but it's absurd to insist that's the only correct way to do it.

There is a absolutely no precedent in the books or films of a Jedi contacting a sith, or the other way around simply for a social call or to transfer their little brother some credits.
So? There's precedent in game. Edited by ferroz