need to post a official sticky about this or a post

hargrave

it worked decently in lotro but the problem thier was you had biased devs and lack of development into the zone. It can work and yes thier will always be zergs just need to be able to capture bases from the inside and hold it. If they had pvp bases elsewhere on other planets it would thin out the fights

Lotro's biggest problem was the lack of TRUE PvP - I hope no games ever follow the PvM model.

What I feel lotro did well, that made 'zone' PvP work, was balance out the distances needed to travel with the amount of places players had the ability to "take over", the mix of PvE when things were dead, the outnumbered buff, the XP buff for holding keeps, the strength and number of NPCs - friendly, neutral and enemy - as a way to bring at least some balance where none ever was. Even if you were alone, there was 'something' you could do.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@OP: This is certainly good to see, I was totally of the mind that Ilum was being junked. Thanks.

The original implementation was bad true, but incentivizing something that not everyone actually wants to do is a sure way to lead to all of the crap behavior we saw throughout 1.1. I enjoy open world PvP even if it is rarely done well in RvR games (rather than RvRvR or FFA games) but I think that making it the best way to gain /anything/ is a bad idea. If people don't want to do open world PvP, there's no reason to push them to do it.

ilum isn't and never was open world pvp, it was just a really really terrible 40 vs 40 wz, that usually was 40 vs 7.

i don't care in the slightest that it's being slowly phased out

Edited by Evuke

I know I am not in the majority but I would rather spend a few hours on Ilum chasing groups and fighting in the open field over fighting in the same Huttball box all day long. Ilum with a mix of wz's tossed in was good for me. Running around picking up crates makes me ill.

Ilum sucked for many but for me the FPS was fine. There is no purpose behind it other to fill a daily and now that is gone so are most of the gear grinders.

RVR can be very fun if done well. I wish I had played DAOC so I could understand why so many liked it. The part that many have asked is why did it fail as I rarely hear people say that it was awful.

they just need other planet pvp bases. It would solve so many issues across the board. I will wait and see what happens in 1.2 to be honest i have a hard time believing in this pvp team anymore. I hope they make the bases actually captureable and the bases have a base boss. I would like to see the advertised 100vs100 but i seriously doubt that will ever hapen in ilum anyways....

We need gabe or bioware dev to make a post about ilum or open world pvp and 1.2 like they did at the guild summit event on here.

Whatever they decide to do with ilum is hampered by the one thing they cannot change: The game engine. It simply cannot handle the demands of multiple people pvping in the same instance so it will always be the crux of the problem no matter what wonderful changes they make.

Whatever they decide to do with ilum is hampered by the one thing they cannot change: The game engine. It simply cannot handle the demands of multiple people pvping in the same instance so it will always be the crux of the problem no matter what wonderful changes they make.

Well with an very good rig you could do very large ilum battles 3-4ops imp vs 2-3 ops of reps at 100fps (mates rig mine only did 40fps) still not to a 100v100 but with the populations you wouldn´t get much bigger fights anyways so engine basicly works but you´d have to update your rig which i doubt everyone has the means or the will to do for this game.

If DAoC was so good at pvp why did it "fail" then (never played the game so i don´t know)?

Because, sadly, they kept redesigning everything else. And the "everything else" also impacted the PvP.

let see here:

3 kills per warzone for your illum quest

patch notes that say you get more predictable credit for killing players in world pvp, as well as a lower cooldown on diminishing returns for valor gained in world pvp.

doesn't exactly scream world pvp is dead. Players not going to illum anymore is another thing.

The majority of people myself included up to the guild summit believe ilum and open world pvp is being thrown out the window permanently. Based on what i heard at the guild summit and seeing this http://www.theimperialnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ilum.jpg and people still thinking ilum/open world pvp is bieng phased out permanently you really need to make a sticky or at least make it known on here.

Ilum is being deprecated in Game Update 1.2. The Open World PvP area on Ilum will still be present in 1.2, but rewards previously gained in Ilum will be available in Warzones and that's where we expect the bulk of PvP to take place for now.

As we said during the Guild Summit, the PvP team is 'going back to the drawing board' with Ilum. That means they want to rework it to be fun and engaging. We accept there are issues with the current design and want to ensure that what we end up with is enjoyable for PvP fans. We have no ETA on when a redesigned Ilum might be available, but when we do have more news, we'll share it.

The PvP team definitely monitors these Forums and would love to see constructive feedback on Open World PvP and how you feel it could be improved. They have their own ideas, of course, and they've read many of the posts here but more feedback is always welcome.

Ilum is being deprecated in Game Update 1.2. The Open World PvP area on Ilum will still be present in 1.2, but rewards previously gained in Ilum will be available in Warzones and that's where we expect the bulk of PvP to take place for now.

As we said during the Guild Summit, the PvP team is 'going back to the drawing board' with Ilum. That means they want to rework it to be fun and engaging. We accept there are issues with the current design and want to ensure that what we end up with is enjoyable for PvP fans. We have no ETA on when a redesigned Ilum might be available, but when we do have more news, we'll share it.

The PvP team definitely monitors these Forums and would love to see constructive feedback on Open World PvP and how you feel it could be improved. They have their own ideas, of course, and they've read many of the posts here but more feedback is always welcome.

Stephen,

What is the *best* way to get those ideas to the developers? Simply through posts on this forum?

Can you just blow up the entire planet? Better than leaving it a ghost town. We could have a big party on the station while you show it on a big screen.

Edited by EternalFinality

Can you just blow up the entire planet? Better than leaving it a ghost town. We could have a big party on the station while you show it on a big screen.

Maybe leaving it as a ghost town is a good thing. Maybe some people make it their home as a roaming free-world PvP arena and some kind of culture outside warzones and the Zerg™ emerges.

I know, blaming the usual MMO playerbase of being capable to create anything vaguely related to culture is a stretch, but I'm just a hopeless dreamer like that.

Yes, I just insulted the playerbase as a whole.

Stephen it is great that the pvp team has plans for open world pvp. The question is what are those ideas. We hardly get any post from the pvp dev team. To be honest with you after dropping the ball with Ilum and open world pvp in general there should be some open discussion with the pvp team on the boards.

It's great your reworking Ilum but what about other open world pvp objectives. I think you will find most pvp players want to go to more than one place to pvp and have objectives to fight over.

Warhammer got some of this right with guild controlled objective. How about taking somethings that have worked and was fun in Warhammer and DOAC and use those ideas. GW2 is taking the DOAC model and using it.. I would love to see some pvp devs on here and talk about what may happen in the next year for SWTOR open world pvp.. It's great we are getting another warzone but what about OPEN WORLD PVP?

Edited by Galvatron

It's odd this team supposedly worked on Warhammer yet they have no clue how to set up open world PVP similar to Warhammer?

How about making Ilum similar to the zones in Warhammer, and have bases similar to keeps?

It's amazing that this game still very much appears to be in beta stages for so many issues when you have a Veteran team with experience already for these issues and problems.

Stephen it is great that the pvp team has plans for open world pvp. The question is what are those ideas. We hardly get any post from the pvp dev team. To be honest with you after dropping the ball with Ilum and open world pvp in general there should be some open discussion with the pvp team on the boards.

It's great your reworking Ilum but what about other open world pvp objectives. I think you will find most pvp players want to go to more than one place to pvp and have objectives to fight over.

Warhammer got some of this right with guild controlled objective. How about taking somethings that have worked and was fun in Warhammer and DOAC and use those ideas. GW2 is taking the DOAC model and using it.. I would love to see some pvp devs on here and talk about what may happen in the next year for SWTOR open world pvp.. It's great we are getting another warzone but what about OPEN WORLD PVP?

Apparently only guilds are worth talking to in this game. Months of posts here in this forum have been ignored. I don't think they care.

Edited by Talizzar

Im one of the biggest fans of Orvr but illum was a bad joke, whoever thought that the system was a good idea over established Orvr worlds (say Planetside or Warhammer) should be sacked.

That said, at least they have the stones to admit it was a sack of crap and do something about it, as opposed to Carrie (who ate all the pies) Gouskos at Warhammer Online who decimated the subscriber base with poorly thought out and worse implimented ideas but also became so emotionally invested in said ideas repairs were impossible.

Im one of the biggest fans of Orvr but illum was a bad joke, whoever thought that the system was a good idea over established Orvr worlds (say Planetside or Warhammer) should be sacked.

That said, at least they have the stones to admit it was a sack of crap and do something about it, as opposed to Carrie (who ate all the pies) Gouskos at Warhammer Online who decimated the subscriber base with poorly thought out and worse implimented ideas but also became so emotionally invested in said ideas repairs were impossible.

Warhammer got guild keeps right and public quest right.

Maybe leaving it as a ghost town is a good thing. Maybe some people make it their home as a roaming free-world PvP arena and some kind of culture outside warzones and the Zerg™ emerges.

I know, blaming the usual MMO playerbase of being capable to create anything vaguely related to culture is a stretch, but I'm just a hopeless dreamer like that.

Yes, I just insulted the playerbase as a whole.

Why did I just picture Thunderdome Star Wars in my head...