Server lag is inexcusable

DarthZak

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't they supposed to have some sort of super awesome tech for more capable servers or something? I'm pretty sure they went out of their way to tell the media about it at some point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I recall they made us all change servers and many of us had to change multiple character names for this. That tech must be in high demand!

Weren't they supposed to have some sort of super awesome tech for more capable servers or something? I'm pretty sure they went out of their way to tell the media about it at some point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The servers are bigger, but something seems inable to handle them, when they are full at least.

The other day a guild PUG group I was with was trying Nightmare Pilgrim. We tried about 4 times, and kept hitting enrage (by a lot, like 15-20%). The DPS were complaining bitterly about lag and ability delay (I am heals - I was getting lag also). I was ready to give up thinking that we just did not have the DPS, but somebody noticed that there was an instance 2 so we transferred there. For some weird reason, we were the only people in the instance. We then one-shot the Nightmare Pilgrim, and the dps said they had little to no lag (my lag also disappeared).

This is server side lag. It needs to be addressed by the powers that be. I agree that it is inexcusable.

I play in prime time and have no server lag. I do crash about once an evening but that is related to the memory leak.

Before people complain about server lag they need to look at their internet connection, are you trying to connect using a dixie cup and wet string?

Yeah bro, despite everyone in Mumble being separated by a few thousand miles of land and ocean all lagging at the same time in the same WZ, it clearly has to be my internet connection. GFY

Why are people coming to the conclusion of just because they don't have lag, no one else should have lag, and if they do it's on their end. I mean where does this line of thinking come from.

The bottom line, the server lag and the unoptimized engine exist. The amount of people it is affecting or if it's not affecting you is completely irrelevant and does not add to the discussion. If you are not experiencing any lag issues, then don't post and certainly don't try to claim that it doesn't exist.

Only good can come from this, people are trying to report a problem in hopes that it will get fixed.

Why are people coming to the conclusion of just because they don't have lag, no one else should have lag, and if they do it's on their end. I mean where does this line of thinking come from.

The bottom line, the server lag and the unoptimized engine exist. The amount of people it is affecting or if it's not affecting you is completely irrelevant and does not add to the discussion. If you are not experiencing any lag issues, then don't post and certainly don't try to claim that it doesn't exist.

Only good can come from this, people are trying to report a problem in hopes that it will get fixed.

This is very simple to explain, but perhaps not so simple to understand.

If there is server lag we all should be experiencing it. Server lag is not selective, it does not pick and choose who will have lag. If the server is lagging then everyone should be experiencing it. If you are experiencing lag and I am not then there is some other factor at work other than server lag.

Yeah bro, despite everyone in Mumble being separated by a few thousand miles of land and ocean all lagging at the same time in the same WZ, it clearly has to be my internet connection. GFY

Orrrrr, it could be something in the instance you all are in suddenly overtaxing your processors or video cards simultaneously. That's still an issue with the game, but isn't actually caused by the servers, and as a result is much easier to resolve.

The other day a guild PUG group I was with was trying Nightmare Pilgrim. We tried about 4 times, and kept hitting enrage (by a lot, like 15-20%). The DPS were complaining bitterly about lag and ability delay (I am heals - I was getting lag also). I was ready to give up thinking that we just did not have the DPS, but somebody noticed that there was an instance 2 so we transferred there. For some weird reason, we were the only people in the instance. We then one-shot the Nightmare Pilgrim, and the dps said they had little to no lag (my lag also disappeared).

This is server side lag. It needs to be addressed by the powers that be. I agree that it is inexcusable.

Actually what you just described sounds exactly like its not server lag. If the lag goes away based on how many people are around you, its not server lag buddy.

Actually what you just described sounds exactly like its not server lag. If the lag goes away based on how many people are around you, its not server lag buddy.

And it's happening to every person in the group at the exactly same time by an accident :)

It's just impossible to kill dreadtooth with everyone getting double or triple gcds

Orrrrr, it could be something in the instance you all are in suddenly overtaxing your processors or video cards simultaneously. That's still an issue with the game, but isn't actually caused by the servers, and as a result is much easier to resolve.

You are so incredibly wrong here it's funny. This is not a client side problem, this is a server side problem and if you knew anything about network engineering you would know this to be so.

And it's happening to every person in the group at the exactly same time by an accident :)

It's just impossible to kill dreadtooth with everyone getting double or triple gcds

I suppose you never played on Ilum. :rolleyes:

That was not server based lag, and what it sounds like for that person was that it was not server based any more than the notorious "Ilum slideshow" was.

You are so incredibly wrong here it's funny. This is not a client side problem, this is a server side problem and if you knew anything about network engineering you would know this to be so.

You act as though the issue I'm describing hasn't happened before. :rolleyes:

HM EC had a similar issue early on. RWZ did as well. There are more things that can cause lag than the servers.

I suppose you never played on Ilum. :rolleyes:

That was not server based lag, and what it sounds like for that person was that it was not server based any more than the notorious "Ilum slideshow" was.

Never met a single person who was getting more than 5 fps during ilum zergfest on tuesdays

Orrrrr, it could be something in the instance you all are in suddenly overtaxing your processors or video cards simultaneously. That's still an issue with the game, but isn't actually caused by the servers, and as a result is much easier to resolve.[/quote

Actually it can be a problem with the blade the instance is on running out of resources and changing instances moves you to another blade in the cluster.

Orrrrr, it could be something in the instance you all are in suddenly overtaxing your processors or video cards simultaneously. That's still an issue with the game, but isn't actually caused by the servers, and as a result is much easier to resolve.[/quote

Actually it can be a problem with the blade the instance is on running out of resources and changing instances moves you to another blade in the cluster.

The point I was trying to make was simply that there are plenty of reasons for people to have lagged simultaneously, and that it serves no purpose to ridicule these other possible problems. Just because it clearly wasn't his internet connection in that particular case, doesn't mean it was automatically server lag.

Nope, that's just epic engine

Which is a problem that won't be fixed by asking for more servers. The higher the noise to information ratio is, the less likely that the developers will know what the problems are and be able to identify how to fix them.

It is obvious as has been previously stated in this thread that when everybody in an ops group experiences the same constant lag, or occasional lag spikes that all experience at the same time doing normal activities, that this server side, not client side. Yes, there can be client side lag. But trying to blame client side lag on all observed lag is ridiculous.

What causes server side lag? You can make some reasonable assumptions about server implementation. Each 'super server' is multiple physical CPUs (each physical CPU has multiple cores) tied to a disk farm that has the database that implements the persistent assets of that server. Each 'instance' is implemented as a process (or maybe multiple processes) on a physical CPU, with multiple threads in that process(es) keeping track of the instance activities. The multiple threads of a process take advantage of the multiple cores of the physical CPU. There is some load balancing mechanism for assigning each instance process(es) to a physical CPU. In a perfect world, each physical CPU would have the same load, and that load would be such that there would be no discernible server side lag by the players. However, as instances are spawned/despawned and players join/quit, the load changes, and the load balancing mechanism is not perfect, and some instances experience lag due to heavy physical CPU load. Perhaps the lag spikes that hit occasionally are when a new instance and its assets are spawned on a CPU (who knows?). Fixing this problem requires money for extra physical CPUs for a 'super-server', more bandwidth between the physical CPUs and their database, and more bandwidth from the external world to the super-server.

TL;DR: Both server-side and client-side lag exists in the game. Blaming all lag on either one or the other is wrong. Players cannot fix server-side lag; only Bioware can do this. Players have right to expect that Bioware will take the necessary steps to reduce server-side lag. Customer service will always blame all lag on the client side as that is the only lag that can be fixed by the player.

This is very simple to explain, but perhaps not so simple to understand.

If there is server lag we all should be experiencing it. Server lag is not selective, it does not pick and choose who will have lag. If the server is lagging then everyone should be experiencing it. If you are experiencing lag and I am not then there is some other factor at work other than server lag.

I don't believe this explanation, at first glance it seems like it makes sence which is why people probably use this cop out but I just don't buy it. I've tested this, I shouldn't be able to play World of Warcraft on one of the most populated servers in the game, play for about 30 minutes (doing pvp and some heroics) and get zero lag, then switch to Star Wars and get absolutely drenched in lag. Switch back to WoW and everything is running smooth and perfect. It's not me...

Edited by Jedirep