ban sales runs in 2022

fushnchips

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Banning credit sellers spam is Bioware's responsibility, not the players.

2. People can earn billions of credits through "legal" gaming: crafting, selling stuffs bought from CM etc.

3. I understand the need of some people to get the cosmetic items.

4. I understand that NiM contents are not for everyone, and there is NOTHING wrong about it no matter the reason.

5. If some people are skilled enough to do sell runs, and some people have enough credits to buy them, let them.

6. I won't get butt hurt over all of above except 1. because that's the REAL problem in this game.

I know that RMTs were a "thing" in WoW.

Step 1 - Either buy or seller advertises in chat

Step 1a - Buyer joins known run seller's Discord / Ventrillo / TeamSpeak

Step 2 - Seller ensures buyer is legit

Step 3 - Seller directs buyer to seller's Paypal / (possibly) Bit coin / or other digital "Wallet"

Step 4 - Buyer deposits $X.00.

Step 4a - Seller confirms deposit

Step 5 - Team is already put together, run is done, buyer has {WIDGETS}

Yeah, and these types of dungeon runs are EXPLICILTY FORBIDDEN by Blizzard. They even made several posts on their forums saying as such, and have closed multiple accounts.

Now, if people are paying for such services with in-game credits (in the case of WoW, a few gold coins), Blizzard (and I'm assuming EA/BioWare) won't care much (I actually sold runs for free or for a few gold coins in WoW Classic, and then used the money from both proceeds and loot to clean out the auction house of bags and gave those bags away FOR FREE to random strangers in the starter zones who just started a new toon). The instant 1 cent or more of real money is involved in any of the 5 steps above, it's against ToS and the seller is at risk of getting suspended/banned.

Unfortunately, the real money runs were so prevalent with the relaunch of WoW Classic/TBC Classic that Blizzard had to introduce multiple "counter-boost" mechanics in several popular low level dungeons to try and stop the practice. All it did was drive away legitimate folks like myself and others who sold boosts for in-game currency...while doing nothing to stop the people who sold boost runs for real money.

As one person eloquently noted on the WoW forums back when the problem first reared its ugly head, "You can introduce as many "anti-boost" mechanics as you can possibly think up, the RMT will just ignore the changes and keep doing what they're doing. The only thing that will deter them is permabans."

Long way of saying, if BioWare isn't willing to actually take time and actually deter RMT should the problem rear it's ugly head in 7.0/7.1...or worse, if they put in several "cheap anti-boost mechanics" to try (and fail) to stop the problem...well, the 10th anniversary of this game will not end positively for anyone.

Sorry, this post got a bit ranty, but there's a reason why some of us left WoW Classic shortly after launch of TBC Classic...and that was before Blizzard's legal troubles became common knowledge.

As one person eloquently noted on the WoW forums back when the problem first reared its ugly head, "You can introduce as many "anti-boost" mechanics as you can possibly think up, the RMT will just ignore the changes and keep doing what they're doing. The only thing that will deter them is permabans."

The big question here is, how much of this is real business, or if that is only players kind of earning some bucks on the side. For the latter, permabans do hurt. For the former, it is a risk in the business, and I wouldn't wonder if the whole thing goes way beyond just raids. Infact, I would bet that even raids can be automated to a certain degree, similar to fully automated gold farming, which existed in WoW for example before SWTOR already, not to talk about fully automated scripting in the pre-MMO days (read: this topic is rather old, 30+ years).

While players can point a finger at suspected "RMT" raid sellers, in the end it is still someone at the company running the MMO which has to spend time looking into all of that, and depending on how prevalent things are, this can amount to a lot of work, aka time aka money for that company, so they have to weigh how much impact this may have or not on their own business this whole problem just means additional costs for them (something they don't like at all).