Organizing Forums

JackieKo

Hello everyone,

- Locking threads that have had no activity in over 6 months

I think this is a bad idea. Plenty of old threads are made about topics that never expire. For example, a thread like "I really like/dislike Smuggler story!" is just as current or obsolete in 2021 as it was 9 years back. Nothing relevant about the vanilla story is in any way different now; praise or criticism made in 2013 hasn't turned obsolete

by 2021. Stuff like this is same old conversation had by new people. One-size-fits-all auto locks seems kinda crude and unnecessary.

Edited by Stradlin

soo many potentials with this one, but for now, let's just refer to the "Official SW:ToR In-Game Events Page", and try to start with having a calendar of events that is proactively kept up to date, not re-actively updated whenever the whim suits and they remember to get around to it.

Even if it was just updated to "January" and all but the "check back later for updates" was cleared, at least we'd know someone was awake in navigation...

Edited by Kaveat

soo many potentials with this one, but for now, let's just refer to the "Official SW:ToR In-Game Events Page", and try to start with having a calendar of events that is proactively kept up to date, not re-actively updated whenever the whim suits and they remember to get around to it.

Even if it was just updated to "January" and all but the "check back later for updates" was cleared, at least we'd know someone was awake in navigation...

would be nice to have it a month ahead, has there even been anything about this month, never mind next :/

would be nice to have it a month ahead, has there even been anything about this month, never mind next :/

see, now you have gone to far, logic has no place in this rendition of the omniverse.

we shall now have to take a page from one of the D&D realms where gnomes are 'inventors', and if at any point one of their kind invents something that actually works, they are labeled 'insane" and exiled from the community.

ps: btw, just checked and it seems that some one actually read the post about updating that page.
I suddenly feel like one of the M&M's in that xmas commercial when they spot santa: "he [i]does[/i] exist!"

Edited by Kaveat

ps: btw, just checked and it seems that some one actually read the post about updating that page.
I suddenly feel like one of the M&M's in that xmas commercial when they spot santa: "he [i]does[/i] exist!"

oooh, they are watching you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

See if it works, request something else be done, it might be fixed later...lol

I am liking how Jackie is going about slowly adjusting things on the forums. With time and her increased influence, I’m hoping she might influence the devs to reply to concerns and questions the players have more regularly. (Like they do on the unofficial Discord channels).

I wish Bioware had an official Discord channel that was linked in with this website and other official swtor social media. So what is said or communicated on one is also linked to the website incase you don’t use those other social media platforms.

Maybe I’m just getting too old. IMO, the swtor website should be the main hub for the game and communication. Those other platforms are more satellite platforms.

Oh look, they updated the in-game events calendar. I wonder what we are getting this month. We are getting...wait for it...the suspense is killing you...you are never going to guess the Conquest event for this month... ... ...SWOOP RALLY! WOO! YAH! Vuvuzelas for everyone!

Seriously tired of that crap event. At least we are getting Relics of the Gree, which has only run like three or four times in the last year.

Edited by ceryxp

• 4 weeks later...
I am liking how Jackie is going about slowly adjusting things on the forums. With time and her increased influence, I’m hoping she might influence the devs to reply to concerns and questions the players have more regularly. (Like they do on the unofficial Discord channels).

I wish Bioware had an official Discord channel that was linked in with this website and other official swtor social media. So what is said or communicated on one is also linked to the website incase you don’t use those other social media platforms.

Maybe I’m just getting too old. IMO, the swtor website should be the main hub for the game and communication. Those other platforms are more satellite platforms.

Discord is a third party application and they have no official platform. If they listen to posts made on a chat platform in a unofficial channel and not going through the official channels, then thats quite sad. All suggestions should only be made and inplemented in the official ea/bioware/swtor verified platforms. The forums or the official email support.

I'd like to request not locking threads in Fan Fiction & Fan Art. Creators in both sections often keep their work in one thread, and may not update for months at a time but should still have the ability to do so once they have something new to share. Similarly, people may want to leave a comment on old works and should have that chance even if the thread's been inactive for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a mistake.

6 month lock out for new threads makes this forum no more useful than reddit. Reddit archives every thread older than 6 months.

One feature that gives the official forums an advantage over reddit is the fact old threads/posts still become relevant with a bump.

Locking threads that have no activity in over 6 months is a mistake.

Longevity of posts is what separates the official forums from other sources of discussion. Please revise and review the removal of this longevity as a forum concept. In my opinion, defeats the forum software we prefer to use today.

I think this is a bad idea. Plenty of old threads are made about topics that never expire. For example, a thread like "I really like/dislike Smuggler story!" is just as current or obsolete in 2021 as it was 9 years back. Nothing relevant about the vanilla story is in any way different now; praise or criticism made in 2013 hasn't turned obsolete

by 2021. Stuff like this is same old conversation had by new people. One-size-fits-all auto locks seems kinda crude and unnecessary.

I agree. This supports the longevity concept as long staying power of discussion without the need to be renewed with frequency. We prefer to use the official forums because it uses old bulletin board system to communicate. You're messing with the utility of BBS systems. Like I mentioned earlier, making it no more useful than reddit which is a waste and a dump of locked archived threads that no one can add to, must constantly be updated to allow discussions after the (arbitrary) 6 month cut off.

Those satellite platforms exist to accommodate free-to-play users.

and now include answers.ea.com ( EA Answers HQ )

and steamcommunity.com/app/1286830/discussions/ (steam discussions)

the "main hub for the game and communication" requires a subscription to have the right to voice our opinions. They shouldn't be diminished by a 6 month cut off

Discord is a third party application and they have no official platform. If they listen to posts made on a chat platform in a unofficial channel and not going through the official channels, then thats quite sad. All suggestions should only be made and inplemented in the official ea/bioware/swtor verified platforms. The forums or the official email support.

Discord is arguably worse than reddit. Discord is a chat room where only the most recent minute to second messages get seen, everything else is lost in the sea of the past. Discord has the shortest "community attention span."

I'm voicing my complaint about an arbitrary 6 month cutoff being applied to the official forum software. Where using the discord platform, the arbitrary cutoff is at maximum, roughly, 50 messages. That's the red line for new messages highlighted in the app. The last 50 messages on desktop, the last 25 messages on mobile. Every message older than 25/50 is asking a discord user to go above and beyond the norm to update themselves and get caught up on discord discussion. Sure discord has a search function, but how do you call back to a previous post for new eyes to see and reply to. No longevity.

It's a waste of dev resources to run their own discord server without third party moderators or volunteers. The official SWTOR subreddit already has a functional server with third party moderators and volunteers who keep the place running and moderated. If you want official updates from the discord there is a channel that is tied to the forum's "developer tracker" using a bot that auto updates every new message and new twitter updates get posted by the bot as well. That's just as good as you can get for official news.

Reddit has a daily/weekly "community attention span" focus, it's the second longest compared to Discord. Daily threads lasting only 24 hours, and 'sort by weekly' function for catching up on the most upvoted topics that week, day, or month. (depending on filter)

Finally, we have the official forums with the staying power of a thread lasting several years as long as it gets bumped. The biggest community attention span and best post longevity available.

--------------

What can I say, I like my message boards the way they are. No arbitrary cutoffs

Edited by Falensawino

6 month lock out for new threads makes this forum no more useful than reddit. Reddit archives every thread older than 6 months.

It's not 6 months and gone, it's 6 months of inactivity, then reviewed, before gone. As in if the topic is no longer valid, it gets locked, as we've had a rash of <redacted> people necro'ing threads that no longer had any relevance.

I think that is an arbitrary standard, even more so with the stigma against necromancy. Forums have never had such obstinate rules on thread age. This is not the same as a real-time conversation. If there is something relevant to add, there should be nothing impeding someone from adding it to the record if the thread was not locked for a legitimate infraction. There are forum customs and policies that should be enforced though which are not, such as double-posting (unless it was a bump with a reasonable interval) and threads on the same subject being created.

One feature that gives the official forums an advantage over reddit is the fact old threads/posts still become relevant with a bump.

Locking threads that have no activity in over 6 months is a mistake.

Longevity of posts is what separates the official forums from other sources of discussion. Please revise and review the removal of this longevity as a forum concept. In my opinion, defeats the forum software we prefer to use today.

I agree. This supports the longevity concept as long staying power of discussion without the need to be renewed with frequency. We prefer to use the official forums because it uses old bulletin board system to communicate. You're messing with the utility of BBS systems. Like I mentioned earlier, making it no more useful than reddit which is a waste and a dump of locked archived threads that no one can add to, must constantly be updated to allow discussions after the (arbitrary) 6 month cut off.

Those satellite platforms exist to accommodate free-to-play users.

and now include answers.ea.com ( EA Answers HQ )

and steamcommunity.com/app/1286830/discussions/ (steam discussions)

the "main hub for the game and communication" requires a subscription to have the right to voice our opinions. They shouldn't be diminished by a 6 month cut off

Discord is arguably worse than reddit. Discord is a chat room where only the most recent minute to second messages get seen, everything else is lost in the sea of the past. Discord has the shortest "community attention span."

I'm voicing my complaint about an arbitrary 6 month cutoff being applied to the official forum software. Where using the discord platform, the arbitrary cutoff is at maximum, roughly, 50 messages. That's the red line for new messages highlighted in the app. The last 50 messages on desktop, the last 25 messages on mobile. Every message older than 25/50 is asking a discord user to go above and beyond the norm to update themselves and get caught up on discord discussion. Sure discord has a search function, but how do you call back to a previous post for new eyes to see and reply to. No longevity.

It's a waste of dev resources to run their own discord server without third party moderators or volunteers. The official SWTOR subreddit already has a functional server with third party moderators and volunteers who keep the place running and moderated. If you want official updates from the discord there is a channel that is tied to the forum's "developer tracker" using a bot that auto updates every new message and new twitter updates get posted by the bot as well. That's just as good as you can get for official news.

Reddit has a daily/weekly "community attention span" focus, it's the second longest compared to Discord. Daily threads lasting only 24 hours, and 'sort by weekly' function for catching up on the most upvoted topics that week, day, or month. (depending on filter)

Finally, we have the official forums with the staying power of a thread lasting several years as long as it gets bumped. The biggest community attention span and best post longevity available.

--------------

What can I say, I like my message boards the way they are. No arbitrary cutoffs

I strongly agree with what you've said. You make a very strong, sound, and reasoned argument. However, I find that there is a strong stigma against necromancy. I have no problem with it. It keeps the forum cleaner, but as you will see, there are many people that will be against your position based on this alone. It's not common anymore anyway, with how lazy people are, concerning searching for preexisting threads before posting a thread on the very same subject. I find most of the people posting on the forum treat this like frakking Reddit, because policies are not enforced. It makes it harder to find information if one even bothers to search.

I support your argument though.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

Hello everyone,

I can't believe we're in the middle of the week already. What is time?

Wanted to let you all know that I'm going to be working on cleaning up some of the threads here. Some examples of what I and the team will be doing are:

- Moving posts to the appropriate forum such as bug report threads to the Bug Report Forum

- Locking duplicate threads

This will be a good start to organizing the forums as a whole. Don't worry, we aren't going to change everything overnight. This process will take some time and I have no intention of interrupting the flow of your conversations. I wanted to give you all a heads up of what will be happening so you aren't caught by surprise.

I also want to use this movement to keep threads organized in the future as well! If you have any other suggestions in this arena, feel free to comment or send me a PM.

i think its better to delete most off the lock threads first.

and for the bug report section delete the one's that have been fix not the one's that are not fix since its stupid more to delete bug reports will you guys are not fixing then or not have look in to in the first time to let it be fix.

• 3 weeks later...
After reading the thread on a fleet apartment, it has become obvious that a stickied thread in each server forum for chat channels would be helpful. Every server has chat channels dedicated to raiding, role playing, pvp and so forth. Make them easy for players to find!