I think we need equipment sets for companion

BIGssdl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I craft, so I usually get 4 to 6 companions on each of my main crafter alts to 50 to speed things up a bit. Compendiums that instantly get a comp to 50 just cost IIRC 3 mil and a dark project on fleet.

4.25 million and 3 Dark Projects, but certainly worth the price to save on an RSI.

If it was cross legacy I'd probably max out every companion or at least a large number of them for story, combat, and crafting purposes.

For example, let's say you were starting a new character/alt to (re)play the story. You could immediately grab whatever companions you have unlocked via legacy (Treek, HK, Darth Hexid, etc) allowing you to use a fully ranked comp from the start of the story before you even get your first story companion. Then once you get to fleet and get your crew skills you'd already have a few max influence comps unlocked that you could immediately start using for crafting.

Another benefit/bonus would be that as you play through the story any comps that you're forced to use would be their best selves. This would be especially helpful when replaying through stuff like KOTFE during the points where your forced to use comps like Lana.

If it was cross legacy I'd probably max out every companion or at least a large number of them for story, combat, and crafting purposes.

For example, let's say you were starting a new character/alt to (re)play the story. You could immediately grab whatever companions you have unlocked via legacy (Treek, HK, Darth Hexid, etc) allowing you to use a fully ranked comp from the start of the story before you even get your first story companion. Then once you get to fleet and get your crew skills you'd already have a few max influence comps unlocked that you could immediately start using for crafting.

Another benefit/bonus would be that as you play through the story any comps that you're forced to use would be their best selves. This would be especially helpful when replaying through stuff like KOTFE during the points where your forced to use comps like Lana.

I don't doubt that would be easier, but maybe Bioware thinks we appreciate what our comps do more if we must work to get them to 50 influence, or perhaps (some) people like running around with a level 1 influence comp (because they want to run around with a comp) but not have the companion so overpowered that all the player is doing is walking behind the comp looting corpses while the comp does all the work.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I don't doubt that would be easier, but maybe Bioware thinks we appreciate what our comps do more if we must work to get them to 50 influence, or perhaps (some) people like running around with a level 1 influence comp (because they want to run around with a comp) but not have the companion so overpowered that all the player is doing is walking behind the comp looting corpses while the comp does all the work.

I think that might be a bit optimistic. To me an influence 50 companion is the baseline these days. When I need a companion at influence 50 I have the dark projects already and 4.25M is peanuts in this economy.

And if you want a level 1 companion you might as well not bring it at all. It shouldn't really matter for the difficulty lol

I think that might be a bit optimistic. To me an influence 50 companion is the baseline these days. When I need a companion at influence 50 I have the dark projects already and 4.25M is peanuts in this economy.

And if you want a level 1 companion you might as well not bring it at all. It shouldn't really matter for the difficulty lol

Other reasons to run around with a level 1 influence companion:

Eye candy

Head canon

Just because

I don't doubt that would be easier, but maybe Bioware thinks we appreciate what our comps do more if we must work to get them to 50 influence

Bioware introduced an item to instantly reach max influence with comps. That klnd of goes against wanting people to appreciate it.

or perhaps (some) people like running around with a level 1 influence comp

What I'm suggesting doesn't eliminate that possibility unless you collect/have every companion and raise them all to max level which is a very unlikely scenario even when you factor in alts.

There are currently 97 companions in the game (not counting the 10 temporary companions you get for speicifc story purposes) so I feel like people are always going to have options if they want to run around with a level 1 comp even if Influence is shared across Legacy.

(because they want to run around with a comp) but not have the companion so overpowered that all the player is doing is walking behind the comp looting corpses while the comp does all the work.

There are people that feel that's already the case with companions, that they make things too easy, etc.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

Agreed. But I would not mind having outfit tabs for companions.

Came here to say this, didn't need to :D Glad companion stats are gone, however I would LOVE outfit tabs for my companions. My friend is always laughing at me for my character outfit madness, however I cannot take my companions to Hoth without their cold weather outfit! That's just mean!

Not sure if the OP meant this as a joke?

It was bad - real bad when you had to get companion influence up AND manage gear for them also. Not forgetting they only had one role each then.

No thanks not wanting those days back.

Agreed !! IMO this was also one of the top 5 reasons when KotFE came out and ALL regular class companions were gone ! A LOT of folks had just raised the level of those companions to the max .. then POOF !! GONE ! And no way to get them back! ....

I DO agree that in no way do I want "the old days" of gearing up our companions back .. (that would be even worse). That said I DO think that we do need to see:

** The return of companion interactions (and if anything more than what they were). IMO this was a GOOD part of the game that many liked and frankly WORKED as far as keeping the SWTOR franchise alive.

** Having companion "out fit tabs" would be VERY nice !!

Came here to say this, didn't need to :D Glad companion stats are gone, however I would LOVE outfit tabs for my companions. My friend is always laughing at me for my character outfit madness, however I cannot take my companions to Hoth without their cold weather outfit! That's just mean!

I make Quinn run around Hoth with no gear, waiting for him to die.

Here is the problem, it mattered in the old system. You had to gear your companion because they were useless without gear. In current system you can gear your companion and the people that don't want to don't have too. Old system only benefited one group. Current system benefits both groups.

I played under the old system and I didn't think it was that hard. You could use gear from quest or hand me downs. Same could apply now.

Do not want the old system back. I like the fact I can choose which companion to use and it doesn't matter whether I need a dps, tank or healer as I can change my companion to fit what I need and not stuck with specific companions that do specific abilities.

I played under the old system and I didn't think it was that hard. You could use gear from quest or hand me downs. Same could apply now.

Then you run into the issue of people not being able to have their companions look the way they want.

Reading over this thread and others the bigger issue people seem to have with comps is the lack of any kind of gameplay customization beyond switching roles.

Having something similar to Combat Proficiencies for the companions seems like it would be a better fit for what those people are asking for rather than going back to the traditional gearing system.

** The return of companion interactions (and if anything more than what they were). IMO this was a GOOD part of the game that many liked and frankly WORKED as far as keeping the SWTOR franchise alive.

** Having companion "out fit tabs" would be VERY nice !!

Yes to more companion interactions and, of course, outfit tabs.

Another thing I would also love is if BW returned some of the individuality that companions had prior to 4.0. Comps used to have individual moves and although some of that has been retained to a degree, Tharan using Holiday for example, others have been lost. Nadia lost Wild Energy and Force Eruption and Xalek used to be ranged and focused on using lightning, for example. I would love it if when an OC comp was in their native stance they would use some of their old animations and abilities. Obviously some allowances would need to be made. Guss, for example, could not use their old animations and abilities set since they completed changed in Fallen Empire. We know that unique ability animations are possible, look at Arcann and Shae, so I would love it if our OC comps got some of that restored to them.

But I definitely do not want to have to bother with their gear stats. Comp gearing should stay gone forever.

Yes to more companion interactions and, of course, outfit tabs.

Another thing I would also love is if BW returned some of the individuality that companions had prior to 4.0. Comps used to have individual moves and although some of that has been retained to a degree, Tharan using Holiday for example, others have been lost. Nadia lost Wild Energy and Force Eruption and Xalek used to be ranged and focused on using lightning, for example. I would love it if when an OC comp was in their native stance they would use some of their old animations and abilities. Obviously some allowances would need to be made. Guss, for example, could not use their old animations and abilities set since they completed changed in Fallen Empire. We know that unique ability animations are possible, look at Arcann and Shae, so I would love it if our OC comps got some of that restored to them.

But I definitely do not want to have to bother with their gear stats. Comp gearing should stay gone forever.

What I am talking about gearing them with stats I thought it was great. As far as choice of Healer/Tank or DPS I think that should be kept. It is not like it is going to change anyways. Doesn't change the fact I think they were much better during the beginning of this game. With the exception of being able to switch to H/T/Dps. That is a good thing.

That depended on the class you played. If you played a Trooper for instance you could use hand me downs for your comps because they used aim as well (all of them). If you were a different class you couldn't necessarily do that. Each companion needed different stats for the other classes.. Most classes had companions that used all of the stats. One comp was strength based, another willpower, another cunning, and another was Aim. Gearing up companions on some classes was nothing short of a a pain to deal with.

Good riddance to gearing out companions. If BW wanted an outfit designer for them I'm fine with that, but I'm never going back to having to use stat gear on comps.

Edited by Toraak

The level of nuisance of companion gearing depended a lot on whether or not you were an altaholic and crafter.

For an altaholic with crafting, companions were to a large extent sponges for hand-me-down gear. Either the character's or some alt's. If the character was well geared most of the time an alt could handle being one gear set behind. A lot of my companions are still in gear that used to belong to my characters. A fair number of them even have obsolete set bonuses.

For single character players though, agreed, it was basically double the gearing effort to have a working companion.

I get enough gear overflow so that companion gearing coming back wouldn't phase me in the least, but I can see how it would really suck for someone who's at their limit just gearing their main.

What I am talking about gearing them with stats I thought it was great. As far as choice of Healer/Tank or DPS I think that should be kept. It is not like it is going to change anyways. Doesn't change the fact I think they were much better during the beginning of this game. With the exception of being able to switch to H/T/Dps. That is a good thing.

Not having gear doesn't mean companions can't have stats tied to them.

Our characters have bonuses/stats applied to them through Datacrons, Companion Affinity, Combat Proficiencies, etc, and none of those things involve gear. They're all in menus.

If you or anyone wants stats or a greater degree of control over companions that's the better way to handle it. Bringing back gear basically offers no advantages that couldn't already be applied to them through other means.

The level of nuisance of companion gearing depended a lot on whether or not you were an altaholic and crafter.

For an altaholic with crafting, companions were to a large extent sponges for hand-me-down gear. Either the character's or some alt's. If the character was well geared most of the time an alt could handle being one gear set behind. A lot of my companions are still in gear that used to belong to my characters. A fair number of them even have obsolete set bonuses.

For single character players though, agreed, it was basically double the gearing effort to have a working companion.

I get enough gear overflow so that companion gearing coming back wouldn't phase me in the least, but I can see how it would really suck for someone who's at their limit just gearing their main.

You reminded me of something else that I don't think I've seen anyone mention yet which is inventory space. Not having to deal with gear for comps allowed people to free up inventory space.

Do not want the old system back. I like the fact I can choose which companion to use and it doesn't matter whether I need a dps, tank or healer as I can change my companion to fit what I need and not stuck with specific companions that do specific abilities.

Well said .. and agreed ! Frankly I am so use to being able to select a companion without too much concern ( I didn't even stop to put it the proper perspective) . HK / Kira / Lana / Theron (just to use some examples) .. some are ranged while others swing the light saber. Nice to be able to look at that aspect ( ranged or melee ) and not have to review how each are geared before use. Just make sure that the level of play ( 40 - 50 ) is there and I'm good to go !!

Overall this gives us a much wider selection of companions to suit our individual personalities much better ! ( I can't imagine dragging C2N2 everywhere I go !! ... NO .. just simply ... NO ) !

edit: some might see that as overly simplification .. but IMO not for a companion. Gearing our individual characters as well as possible: that's a different story and SHOULD be important.

Edited

Edited by OlBuzzard

That depended on the class you played. If you played a Trooper for instance you could use hand me downs for your comps because they used aim as well (all of them). If you were a different class you couldn't necessarily do that. Each companion needed different stats for the other classes.. Most classes had companions that used all of the stats. One comp was strength based, another willpower, another cunning, and another was Aim. Gearing up companions on some classes was nothing short of a a pain to deal with.

Good riddance to gearing out companions. If BW wanted an outfit designer for them I'm fine with that, but I'm never going back to having to use stat gear on comps.

I understand that. You could buy gear also. Like their were some nice weapons at Tat ..get ear pieces at Hoth..Belsavis and Voss had some nice gear.

Not having gear doesn't mean companions can't have stats tied to them.

Our characters have bonuses/stats applied to them through Datacrons, Companion Affinity, Combat Proficiencies, etc, and none of those things involve gear. They're all in menus.

If you or anyone wants stats or a greater degree of control over companions that's the better way to handle it. Bringing back gear basically offers no advantages that couldn't already be applied to them through other means.

You reminded me of something else that I don't think I've seen anyone mention yet which is inventory space. Not having to deal with gear for comps allowed people to free up inventory space.

The boats already sailed on it. They won't switch back no matter what some want. So no use beating a dead horse. I been at it since the Beta and I enjoyed my comps with good gear. Funny thing is D3 now has gearing for follower like back in the D2 days and GW1 had the best companions and their gear was just for show.