Marauder Ability, Tactical Item, and Set Bonus Feedback

EricMusco

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a mara main blindly defending his class with misinformation. Maras are still the second best class in 4 dps games after mercs. Mara dcds are excellent. They have the ability to stealth out and heal to full every 45 seconds, which is usually possible even if people chase. They are not squishy at all.

you haven't played mara have you? i took top 1 in solo ranked previous season and top 3 sent and i can tell you - one mistake in dps fight and you get globalled. If enemies catch mara in stun chain you are finished. And even if you use camouflage-predation-run away for regen there are always oper or sin or sorc chasing to finish you off.

Compared to vanish, camouflage is given only for a few seconds and it doesn't remove combat so often i managed to run like 2 kilometres from all enemies and STILL MY COMBAT DIDN'T REMOVE LOL. i sat without any interruptions for 20 seconds and it still was on.

So indeed mara can't survive much without pocket healer. And skilled mercs can easily stealth scan maras camouflage.. mad dash + camouflage + pred trick isnt working often due to arena features and fact that stealth scan has pretty high range.

Have you seen the dps sorc tacticals and set bonuses?

they are pretty good for sorcs since they boost damage and damage reduction lol. while mara gets what? refund of rage on furious strike? it doesnt need it, aoe on force crush? you can often get stunned or pushed when used force crush while cc immune on cd so this spread can be interrupted + taking such thing for ranked pvp sucks because this aoe will break all near enemies cc's. The only useful tactical is reset on camouflage but it isnt that great since mara will be absent for a long time and would not be able to damage.

i took top 1 in solo ranked previous season and top 3 sent

lol yeah, wonder how you got those

they are pretty good for sorcs since they boost damage and damage reduction lol. while mara gets what? refund of rage on furious strike? it doesnt need it, aoe on force crush? you can often get stunned or pushed when used force crush while cc immune on cd so this spread can be interrupted + taking such thing for ranked pvp sucks because this aoe will break all near enemies cc's. The only useful tactical is reset on camouflage but it isnt that great since mara will be absent for a long time and would not be able to damage.

You are just a mara main in complete denial. Sorc dps are 5th or 6th among dps, and the sorc ability/tacticals/set bonus will all make extremely little difference in solo ranked unless volt rush does absurd damage. But the mara ability/tacticals/set bonus will make maras, already the second best dps class, even more powerful. The imbalance between what sorc and sins got compared to what mara and juggs got is staggeringly large.

lol yeah, wonder how you got those

You are just a mara main in complete denial. Sorc dps are 5th or 6th among dps, and the sorc ability/tacticals/set bonus will all make extremely little difference in solo ranked unless volt rush does absurd damage. But the mara ability/tacticals/set bonus will make maras, already the second best dps class, even more powerful. The imbalance between what sorc and sins got compared to what mara and juggs got is staggeringly large.

not reasonable claims. I see many lightning sorcs doing 4-5k dps in solo ranked and breaking third or forth cc's with bubble while other classes have only one breaker. This spec must not do more dps since it has cleanse, heals and great defenses. It can offheal team mates, pull them up on bridges saving from death, use phase walk to chase someone if the target ran to phase walk location side. + it has long 8 second cc ability. it has no problems with defense and has heals and mediocore mobility unlike merc's boost speed which only gives 30 % speed bonus.

Marauder lacks defenses, heals and additional breakers. It has no serious saving abilities like bubble or phase walk.All it has is mobility and dps. So of course marauder must be the most damaging class in the game with great mobility. IF you want to make sorc dps both great damager + tanky + supporting class then you just trying to make super fotm of it.

I find sorc's tactical items more powerful then marauders. You get dps buff on some abilities or double procs on some of damaging abilities. What about maras tacticals? Aoe dmg from force crush will break mezzes, and used situational (when mara uses force crush while you never know if enemies are stacking at that moment lol and not using force crush results in great dps loss and immunity lack). Refund on rage is a joke since fury never had problems with rage. In the end the only one useful tactical is reset on camouflage. ALL others are USELESS.

The only thing i agree is that dot sorc needs a slight buff to defenses since it is TOO squishy. One marauder can kill it pretty fast. But nothing more is needed.

Edited by omaan

not reasonable claims. I see many lightning sorcs doing 4-5k dps in solo ranked and breaking third or forth cc's with bubble while other classes have only one breaker. This spec must not do more dps since it has cleanse, heals and great defenses. It can offheal team mates, pull them up on bridges saving from death, use phase walk to chase someone if the target ran to phase walk location side. + it has long 8 second cc ability. it has no problems with defense and has heals and mediocore mobility unlike merc's boost speed which only gives 30 % speed bonus.

Marauder lacks defenses, heals and additional breakers. It has no serious saving abilities like bubble or phase walk.All it has is mobility and dps. So of course marauder must be the most damaging class in the game with great mobility. IF you want to make sorc dps both great damager + tanky + supporting class then you just trying to make super fotm of it.

I find sorc's tactical items more powerful then marauders. You get dps buff on some abilities or double procs on some of damaging abilities. What about maras tacticals? Aoe dmg from force crush will break mezzes, and used situational (when mara uses force crush while you never know if enemies are stacking at that moment lol and not using force crush results in great dps loss and immunity lack). Refund on rage is a joke since fury never had problems with rage. In the end the only one useful tactical is reset on camouflage. ALL others are USELESS.

The only thing i agree is that dot sorc needs a slight buff to defenses since it is TOO squishy. One marauder can kill it pretty fast. But nothing more is needed.

First off, acknowledge that you are comparing one of the top end classes to another top end class. Marauder and sorc are both extremely viable in almost every single PvP mode more than most other classes. Justifying a buff to marauder by comparing it to sorc is ridiculous, meritless, ignores the other classes in the game, and just dumb.

But to your actual argument: lightning sorc only pulls 3-4k left not CCed and into a 4 man cleave. All of that damage comes from weak chain lightning attacks. Yes, it has more offheals and more team utilities, but that is because the the damage is so insignificant. Even that 4k damage is nothing because it is weak AOE damage as opposed to real AOE damage like madness which left not CCed can pull 5-6k. AOE damage only becomes significant when it can't be outhealed; otherwise it is just fluff.

On the contrary, fury mara can easily pull 5k single target burst damage while being pressured. If you tunnel a fury mara, you don't change a fury mara's dps output at all, as opposed to a lightning sorc which can easily be stunned, interrupted, and shut down.

Lightning sorc's defenses might look stronger on paper (phase walk, bubble, DR utilities, DR passives), but none of that matters if you're getting tunneled. There is no DR in the world that will save you from multiple classes hunting you down. There is no phase walk you can place that stops a marauder from chasing you with predation. On top of that, well timed stuns and a well timed net can instantly bring down a sorc.

On the other hand, marauder's face tanking utilities helps let marauders withstand a lot of damage before they have to camo out. Fury marauder has a stun DR utility off a short CD and stun DR on saber ward if the right utilities are taken. This is why marauder is viable in literally every meta in solo ranked. Marauder becomes extremely powerful the second you pair it with a healer. Just because you play 4v4 dps solo ranked doesn't make marauder less weak. Marauders are one of the best classes to bring into any 4v4 comp: cleave, pressure, hard-swap, split, hyper-swap. It's abilities and utilities may be best optimized and most effective when paired with a healer and tank, but that doesn't make it otherwise weak. You don't balance for solo ranked, just like you don't balance for duels.

Calling for buffs to marauder is laughable and shows no real knowledge of the game.

First off, acknowledge that you are comparing one of the top end classes to another top end class. Marauder and sorc are both extremely viable in almost every single PvP mode more than most other classes. Justifying a buff to marauder by comparing it to sorc is ridiculous, meritless, ignores the other classes in the game, and just dumb.

But to your actual argument: lightning sorc only pulls 3-4k left not CCed and into a 4 man cleave. All of that damage comes from weak chain lightning attacks. Yes, it has more offheals and more team utilities, but that is because the the damage is so insignificant. Even that 4k damage is nothing because it is weak AOE damage as opposed to real AOE damage like madness which left not CCed can pull 5-6k. AOE damage only becomes significant when it can't be outhealed; otherwise it is just fluff.

On the contrary, fury mara can easily pull 5k single target burst damage while being pressured. If you tunnel a fury mara, you don't change a fury mara's dps output at all, as opposed to a lightning sorc which can easily be stunned, interrupted, and shut down.

Lightning sorc's defenses might look stronger on paper (phase walk, bubble, DR utilities, DR passives), but none of that matters if you're getting tunneled. There is no DR in the world that will save you from multiple classes hunting you down. There is no phase walk you can place that stops a marauder from chasing you with predation. On top of that, well timed stuns and a well timed net can instantly bring down a sorc.

On the other hand, marauder's face tanking utilities helps let marauders withstand a lot of damage before they have to camo out. Fury marauder has a stun DR utility off a short CD and stun DR on saber ward if the right utilities are taken. This is why marauder is viable in literally every meta in solo ranked. Marauder becomes extremely powerful the second you pair it with a healer. Just because you play 4v4 dps solo ranked doesn't make marauder less weak. Marauders are one of the best classes to bring into any 4v4 comp: cleave, pressure, hard-swap, split, hyper-swap. It's abilities and utilities may be best optimized and most effective when paired with a healer and tank, but that doesn't make it otherwise weak. You don't balance for solo ranked, just like you don't balance for duels.

Calling for buffs to marauder is laughable and shows no real knowledge of the game.

Every time enemy team goes on light sorc it looses. because llightning sorc can take tonnes of damage. you can't interrupt it forever since it has some blue immune on cast thing which iam not sure from what it pops but it is. i barely see someone saying lets go lightning sorc lol. it never works unless sorc is bad. it can survive almost all encounters and let his team free cast. I never saw any win when teams go on lightning sorc who is skilled. Like never. marauder in dps game if it's targeted can't do any dps and the fact it doesnt have to cast anything doesn't change the fact it can't do much dps. It uses saber ward, stun dr (i think you mean cloak of pain) but its only 20% dr not 30 or 50% like normal stun dr is. and then guarded by the force which works only 4 seconds. then it's either dead or forced to use camouflage which doesn't save much at all since there are always chasing mara going on. and while in camouflage running marauder quits the fight at does ZERO dps while sorc can do at least something while pressure (it has instant dot, and one lightning cast can be used while running from what i saw).

LETS not forget also that if enemy team has 1-2 skilled mercs marauder can be easily stealth scanned even with mad dash + camouflage and predation trick since as i mentioned before the range of scan is pretty high.

Marauder lacks defenses

Your posts are totally nonproductive. You are simply an incredibly biased mara main. Maras have great defensive cooldowns, and force camo is a better "saving ability" than either bubble or phase walk.

I find sorc's tactical items more powerful then marauders.

I clearly lumped the new abilites, set bonuses, and tacticals together, as a whole, when comparing. You are either trolling me or actually insane. The rest of your post equally nonsensical.

Your posts are totally nonproductive. You are simply an incredibly biased mara main. Maras have great defensive cooldowns, and force camo is a better "saving ability" than either bubble or phase walk.

I clearly lumped the new abilites, set bonuses, and tacticals together, as a whole, when comparing. You are either trolling me or actually insane. The rest of your post equally nonsensical.

Force camo is better saving ability? If you fight 2 or more mercs you can easily be revealed with scan if you fight dot specs you either use camo late and die from dots while running away or use it early and run away but loose much dps because of your early leaving and absense while waiting combat removal and hoping that no one is chasing or trying to run more from someone who actually chasing you. Are you sure you played solo ranked as marauder? Surely marauder is really good in heal games but when it comes to only dps games it is far worse than sorc, merc, oper and in some situation even then sin (when sin has mercs and opers in his group and doesn't even need to go out from stealth for some time).

but when it comes to only dps games it is far worse than sorc, merc, oper and in some situation even then sin.

This is literally a laughable statement. Anyone who plays solo ranked who isn't a completely deluded mara main knows it's not true. Maras are the second best dps after merc in dps games, period. Everything you said about force camo is just babble. It's a reliable heal to full every 45 seconds 90% of the time.

marauder in dps game if it's targeted can't do any dps and the fact it doesnt have to cast anything doesn't change the fact it can't do much dps.

No Stain. The fact that it is a melee class and has no casted abilities literally means that it can not get shut down. Fury marauder is currently the epitome of a class that will not get shut down because ontop of everything else it has stun immunity. But I wouldn't expect a **** mara main that only plays 4 dps solo ranked games to understand that.

It uses saber ward, stun dr (i think you mean cloak of pain) but its only 20% dr not 30 or 50% like normal stun dr is.

Now this is just plain wrong. 1) Marauder does not have any stun DR. Cloak of pain is not stun DR either. 2) There are no classes in SWTOR that have 50% stun DR.

The fact is Stain you have no idea wut you are talking about. You don't play at an elite level. Your top 3 is a perfect example of how the rating system does not reflect skill. You don't play any other game mode other than 4v4 dps solo ranked games. You have no idea what the meta of this game is. You're posts are unproductive, misinformed, ignorant, and at times blatantly wrong.

Edited by septru

No Stain. The fact that it is a melee class and has no casted abilities literally means that it can not get shut down. Fury marauder is currently the epitome of a class that will not get shut down because ontop of everything else it has stun immunity. But I wouldn't expect a **** mara main that only plays 4 dps solo ranked games to understand that.

Now this is just plain wrong. 1) Marauder does not have any stun DR. Cloak of pain is not stun DR either. 2) There are no classes in SWTOR that have 50% stun DR.

The fact is Stain you have no idea wut you are talking about. You don't play at an elite level. Your top 3 is a perfect example of how the rating system does not reflect skill. You don't play any other game mode other than 4v4 dps solo ranked games. You have no idea what the meta of this game is. You're posts are unproductive, misinformed, ignorant, and at times blatantly wrong.

He complains about other classes but doesn't even know their abilities. The true nature of a delusional mara 1 trick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank for letting us do some feedback

New Ability

New Ability – Furious Focus

Furious Focus has 4 ability charges and recharges every 30 seconds. Activating Furious Focus consumes all charges causing your next attacks to do 25% additional damage.. Ex: If you consume 3 charges, your next 3 attacks do 25% increased damage.

At first it sound good, but after some test it leave a bad taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, the ability is good, it's a new cool toy to play with, you have to anticipate his use and it change the way some of your abilities work with Tactical items.

The problem lies in "how" it works : you are force to consume all charges available when you use it. This is where it hurts, because depending of the situation and/or your tactical item you have, you want to spend the charges only one at the time and leave the rest of them for later, but as it is working at the moment you will only loose the extra charges, which is very frustrating and break the flow of the game as you wait for the "star to align" to not waste charges on medium or low dps abilities.

Can you change the way it work to something like this ?

• Furious Focus has 4 ability charges and recharges every 30 seconds. Activating Furious Focus consumes One charge causing your next attack to do 25% additional damage.

This way, we can use them only on the ability we wish for.

Set Bonuses

Set Bonuses

These bonuses will likely have the high end of piece requirements, such as requiring 4 or 6 pieces. The smaller piece bonuses will be more passive in nature (stat benefits, etc).

• Dispatcher - (4) Activating Dual Saber Throw grants Dispatcher's Challenge making your next Vicious Throw critically hit. This effect can't occur more than once every minute.(6) Using Dual Saber Throw with Furious Focus grants Dispatcher, finishing the cooldown of Force Charge and making your next Vicious Throw usable on any target.

Can't find the 4P very useful except for carnage who have Vicious Throw in his cycle, for the other on target who have big hp pool it seem like a waste. Also, this bonus set is a good example of the frustration you have with the current way Furious Focus work, because Force Charge work as a melee power and will consume a charge, wasting it.

• From the Shadows - (4) Mad Dash's cooldown is reduced by 10 seconds. (6) Activating Mad Dash while under Force Camouflage makes it critically hit and slows any targets it damages.

This bonus set is not attractive at all, as a marauder you have plenty of slow, the damage from Mad Dash are trivial, the only part who can be interesting are the 10 second cooldown reduction if you use the Through Victory utility

Common Tactical Items

• Apex Predator - Activating Predation finishes the cooldown of Force Camouflage.

A very good Tactical Item both for PvE and PvP, Force Camouflage is very good for a defensive purpose and mobility, also it may help build who use the "hidden savagery" utility.

• Frenzied Focus - Frenzy builds a Furious Focus charge.

A strange choice for this Tactical Item, Frenzy is not very often use for every discipline, it is one of the longest offensive cooldown (2 min 30seconds), making him generating only one charge is not very interesting in comparison of all the other Tactical Items.

Also Juggernaut have the same kind of tactical but on their it generate one charge on Enrage, witch have 45 second cooldown, decrease by alacrity, it is clearly unfair for marauder who can only have 1 charge every 2 minutes 30 seconds, where Juggernaut can generate 4 charges with 4 Enrage in 2 minutes 15 seconds (without alacrity, with alacrity it is even faster)

There might be other possibilities for this one :

• Bloodthirst builds 4 charges of Furious Focus.

• Berserk [builds a Furious Focus charge] OR [reduce the active cooldown of Furious Focus by X seconds].

• Hidden Power - Force Camouflage generates 2 rage per second while active.

This one is odd, as a marauder you have a lot of option to generate rage so why add one more?

Maybe change the whole thing to something else, we no longer have any bonus concerning fury, so why not something like this :

• Hidden Power - Each time you spend fury you reduce the cooldown of Frenzy by 0.5 second by fury spend.

Annihilation

• Exterminator - Annihilate automatically kills standard and weak enemies with less than 30% health. Killing an enemy this way resets the cooldown of Annihilate.

This is not a very good Tactical Item, standard and weak enemies are already easily killable by aoe or any ability, so having one of them specifically below 30% is rare, also Annihilate cost 4 rage and this Tactical Item does nothing about that. It may be more useful to change it to something like this:

• Exterminator - Killing an enemy with Annihilate lower his cooldown by 50% and generate 2 rage. In addition, Annihilate automatically kills standard and weak enemies.

• Rapid Rupture - Refreshing Rupture deals double damage on initial hit.

So we can keep Rupture on target 100% of time without dps drop? More test are needed to see if there is not deacrease in dps but it seems very good.

• Vicious Saber - Vicious Slash applies all of your Deadly Saber stacks to its target at once and resets the cooldown of Deadly Saber.

This one is very interesting, because it change the way you play, I'm a little worried about the extra cost of rage because of the reset of the cooldown, the 100% uptime of the dot on target and the possibility of multi dotting two target at the same time. 

Carnage

• Unstable Focus - Using Devastating Blast with Furious Focus causes Devastating Blast to explode, dealing damage to all targets in the area.

More option for Aoe as carnage, this is quite good as long as Furious Focus is change as mentioned Above.

• Hyper - Using Massacre adds Hyper stacks to you, increasing your critical chance by 10% and reducing the cost of your next Massacre by 1 rage per stack. Stacks up to 3 times. Last 10 seconds or until an ability other than Massacre is used.

Another strange one, as carnage, we don't use Massacre more than 2 times in a row. this make the cycle very... single button, it can be very interesting if the part where you lose the stack if you use an ability other than Massacre is removed.

• Hyper - Using Massacre adds Hyper stacks to you, increasing your critical chance by 10% and reducing the cost of your next Massacre by 1 rage per stack. Stacks up to 3 times.

• Bloody Focus - Using Gore with Furious Focus causes its target to bleed.

More dps on Gore, same note as the one on Unstable Focus (Furious Focus change mentioned Above).

• Always Ferocious - Ferocity is active all the time, but only grants 50% armor penetration.

It seems a good idea at first, but after testing, you lose all the "burst" part on of carnage, some have even see a decrease in their dps, the only case I can find it useful is in PvP if you want to focus tank and other heavy armor target. Maybe increase the percentage of armor penetration ? 

Fury

• Detonate - Raging Burst detonates Force Crush, dealing damage and slowing any enemies in an area around the primary target.

I'm a little concern about this one, Fury already have a strong single target dps, but with this it add even more to a single target and an area slow ?! maybe change the detonation from Raging Burst to Smash like this ?

• Detonate - Smash detonates Force Crush, dealing damage and slowing any enemies in an area of X meters around you.

• Obliterator - Using Obliterate with Furious Focus causes it to critically hit.

Auto-crit on Obliterate, this is good, as long Furious Focus is changed.

• Force Barter - Furious Strike refunds one additional rage after it hits, but refunds all its rage if you would have fallen to zero.

This one is very situational, and the Fury discipline is not really missing Rage, beside add a defensive effect I don't really see the point to take this one.

In conclusion :

Some of the Tactical item really help to change the way we play, other not really.

The bonus set are not really attractive as they are now.

Sadly none of this Tactical item or set bonus help with the lack of immunity to crowd control Carnage and Annihilation suffer in PvP.

Edited by KaellSolaris

I didnt mean any stun dr it is the guy i quoted said about stun dr and i tried to guess what he meant and my best guess was he meant using cloak of pain while stunned which msy be possible with proper utility. U are also wrong about me. I have top 3 mando from season 10 and 2 gold mercs, gold sniper and 2 gold slingers so i see it from range prospect too.

Marauder cant be shut down but it can be killed easy thats all. U can't do dps when ur dead. And about dps games - i wrote before that mara is op in heal games yes. But in pure dps games which are more frequent mara isnt that fotm

Updated the Marauder set bonuses for include the 4 and 6 pc effects. Thanks all.

-eric

Set bonuses related to mad dash are totally useless. Poor work to be honest since none skilled player wont use mad dash while in camouflage

So the mara set bonuses are still useless, rip mara 6.0. It's really sad how little thought was put into the mara and jugg set bonuses.

Agreed. But i also saw other bonuses for warrior like stun immune on force leap dr on mad dash etc. Csn we take those instead of useless marauder set bonuses?