[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup

Thank you so much. Have you thought of doing an ranking of the class story only companions for the people who doesn't have unlocked shae from level 1?

EMPIRE

Inquisitor

3) Khem Val (techblade)

3) 2V-R8 (pistol)

1) Andronikos Revel (dual pistols)

2) Ashara Zavros (dual lightsabers)

3) Talos Drelik (single pistol)

3) Xalek (saberstaff)

Warrior

1) Vette (dual pistols)

2) 2V-R8 (pistol)

2) Malavai Quinn (single pistol)

2) Jaesa Willsaam (saberstaff)

2) Pierce (blaster rifle)

2) Broonmark (techblade)

BH

2) Mako (single pistol)

2) 2V-R8 (pistol)

2) Gault Rennow (sniper rifle)

2) Torian Cadera (pre KOTFE) (techblade) (post KOTFE sniper rifle)

2) Blizz (pistol)

2) Skade (techblade)

Agent

2) Kaliyo Djannis (blaster rifle)

2) 2V-R8 (pistol)

2) Vector Hyllus (techblade)

2) Dr. Eckard Lokin (pistol)

1) Raina Temple (dual pistols)

2) SCORPIO (pre-KOTFE) (techblade) (post-KOTFE blaster rifle)

REPUBLIC

Trooper

2) Aric Jorgan (sniper rifle)

2) C2-N2 (pistol)

2) Elara Dorne (single pistol)

2) M1-4X (pistol)

2) Tanno Vik (techblade)

2) Yuun (techblade)

Consular

2) Qyzen Fess (techblade)

2) C2-N2 (pistol)

2) Tharan Cedrax (single pistol)

2) Zenith (sniper rifle)

2) Felix Iresso (blaster rifle)

2) Nadia Grell (saberstaff)

Knight

2) T7-01 (pistol)

2) C2-N2 (pistol)

2) Kira Carsen (saberstaff)

2) Doc (single pistol)

2) Fideltin Rusk (assault cannon)

2) Lord Scourge (single saber)

Smuggler

2) Corso Riggs (single pistol)

2) C2-N2 (pistol)

2) Bowdaar (techblade)

2) Risha Drayen (sniper rifle)

2) Akaavi Spaar (techblade)

2) Guss Tuno (pre-KOTFE) (single pistol) (post-KOTFE single saber)

I've listed the companions in the order of their acquisition, and ranked them just based on what I know from memory about their weapons. Meaning, I expect dual pistols and dual sabers to outperform other companions. I'm sure I'm incorrect about several of these techblade users, they might be tech staves instead, and I lack any pre-KOTFE versions of the relevant characters to confirm the changes for SCORPIO, Guss, and Torian, so they are based on my memory. Some of the droids like Forex might be blaster rifles instead of blaster pistols. It's possible the sniper rifle users and assault cannon users will do a little bit more damage than the other types of companions, but I'd have to parse them, and I do not anticipate they will outperform the dual pistol and dual saber users. Of course, I could be wrong.

Imperials have an advantage here. Republic classes get no dual wielders at all as far as I can tell, and have to wait until they can acquire Theron Shan and Vette through the KOTFE story, and Hemdil Tre/Veeroa Denz from heroic Star Fortresses, or purchase Q0-77 (or have access to Nico Okarr or Master Ranos).

I also tend to prioritize influencing companions during the vanilla story that I know will come back in KOTFE, especially ones that are early, meaning available right away or as an alert at the end of KOTFE Chapter 9.

1. C2-N2
  2. 2V-R8
  3. Qyzen Fess
  4. T7-01
  5. Talos Drelik

Edited by phalczen

Thanks so much!

Yes It is a really great piece of work. Have you even encountered that companion x at influence level y seems to do more damage when you have it on a char that is class z instead of class x and you tell it to attack a single mob alone. Because this was the case for me the gamorrean seemed to do more damage with my jedi shadow than on my jedi sentinel. Both had him at influence level 6.

...this was the case for me the gamorrean seemed to do more damage with my jedi shadow than on my jedi sentinel. Both had him at influence level 6.

I have not noticed. I'll try to parse Shae more often though (since most my characters have her at 50), and see if any pattern shows up.

There can be a large range though on companions. This is why I'm including some duplicate parses more often to help describe it. I'm also logging my lag at the time (usually around 80ms for me). It also feels like the time of day or other stresses on the server may also come into play. So even if this is a real issue, if it's less than 1000 dps different it'll be hard to spot.

Disclaimer: Zoom Uses all of her heals, even if she doesn't need to. With this setup, other healers didn't need to use one of their heals, which would offset the results a bit. I'm still looking for good places to test them.

Heal Parse 5mil heals in fixed uprising content1 (reduced healing):

Level 1, Z0-0M (1 Blaster Pistol) 12813 - 6.1.2d

Level 1, Raina Temple (2 Blaster Pistol) 8624 - 6.1.2d

Level 1, Banshee (No weapon) 8386 - 6.1.2d

Treek made it to 1.4 mil heals before she died.

Level 20, Treek (Blaster Rifle) 6578 - 6.1.2d

Edited by KevMeup

This list : Best Leveling Companion:

1. Shae Vizla (dps only, great for grinding story mode FPs)

2. Q0-77 (anyone can buy on cartel and unlock for all characters, also levels from droid parts/jawa junk)

3. Nico Okarr - DPS/Heals, Paxton Rall - Heals, Master Ranos - DPS/tank

2. Darth Hexid, K1-Z3N, T4-1D or TY-4N are standard blaster users with minimal bugs (bought or unlocked for collections)

Would be more readable if you rearranged it like this

1. Shae Vizla (dps only, great for grinding story mode FPs)

2. Q0-77 (anyone can buy on cartel and unlock for all characters, also levels from droid parts/jawa junk)

2. Darth Hexid, K1-Z3N, T4-1D or TY-4N are standard blaster users with minimal bugs (bought or unlocked for collections)

3. Nico Okarr - DPS/Heals, Paxton Rall - Heals, Master Ranos - DPS/tank

Once again thanks for doing all the great work for this guide.

I just realised something the ship droids and or darth hexid is probably the easiest companions to max out cheaply relativly speaking because you can use the jawa scrap bought gifts on them.

Great point, I'm working on a list of companions to consider at 75.. Something like this:

Shae Vizla - Imperial Memorabilia, Military Gear

Veeroa Denz - Imperial Memorabilia, Underworld Good

Z0-0M - Republic Memorabilia > Maintenance

Any 2 Blaster user (QO-77, Theron Shan, Vette, Nico Okarr, Hemdil Tre, Andronikos Revel)

Scorpio - Maintenance

2V-R8 - Maintenance

C2-N2 - Maintenance

Koth Vortena - Delicacies

Major Pierce - Weapon, Military Gear > PVP > Delicacies (imp)

M1-4X - Republic Memorabilia > PVP > Maintenance (pub)

Darth Hexid - Cultuural Artifact > Delicacies

HK-55 - Military Gear > Maintenance

T7-01 - Technology > Maintenance

I would take SCORPIO off the list because

any way you choose, she eventually becomes unavailable in the story, and I think most players don’t elect to bring her back through the Companion Locator Terminal. Most players probably try to remain true to the path the story takes them. Besides, she’s not really any different in a technical way from the single blaster pistol users.

You could make the same argument for Koth, Vette, or Theron, except that

in their cases it’s a choice between alive or dead, as opposed to scrap or digitized within Iokath.

not to mention Vette and Theron are dual wielders.

Edited by phalczen

Great point, I'm working on a list of companions to consider at 75.. Something like this:

Shae Vizla - Imperial Memorabilia, Military Gear

Veeroa Denz - Imperial Memorabilia, Underworld Good

Z0-0M - Republic Memorabilia > Maintenance

Any 2 Blaster user (QO-77, Theron Shan, Vette, Nico Okarr, Hemdil Tre, Andronikos Revel)

Scorpio - Maintenance

2V-R8 - Maintenance

C2-N2 - Maintenance

Koth Vortena - Delicacies

Major Pierce - Weapon, Military Gear > PVP > Delicacies (imp)

M1-4X - Republic Memorabilia > PVP > Maintenance (pub)

Darth Hexid - Cultuural Artifact > Delicacies

HK-55 - Military Gear > Maintenance

T7-01 - Technology > Maintenance

Looks good =) can you please clarify for me of darth hexid and ranos which is the higher dps?

Looks good =) can you please clarify for me of darth hexid and ranos which is the higher dps?

if only someone had made a parsing comparison between the different companions and listed it somewhere like in the first post of a thread or something and named it companion optimization, gearing and tips

if only someone had made a parsing comparison between the different companions and listed it somewhere like in the first post of a thread or something and named it companion optimization, gearing and tips

Well i keep getting confused because of the ways those two are listed in the various lists of stuff.

Sorry, I get that I need to make the TLDR a little clearer: It's something like this

Shae = 10k dps

Veroa Dens = 9.4k dps

Master Ranos or Ashara = 9.2k dps

2 Blasters = 8.9k dps

Blaster/sniper riffle/pistol user = 8k dps

Melee single weapon users = 7.8k dps (darth hexid)

Edited by KevMeup

Sorry, I get that I need to make the TLDR a little clearer: It's something like this

Shae = 10k dps

Veroa Dens = 9.4k dps

Master Ranos or Ashara = 9.2k dps

2 Blasters = 8.9k dps

Blaster/sniper riffle/pistol user = 8k dps

Melee single weapon users = 7.8k dps (darth hexid)

Thanks a lot it was pretty clear overall it was just something about the way those two were mentioned i think that got me confused on which was higher dps.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it was fixed or not. D-R3D seems to be using all of his abilities, I don’t have the ability to parse his damage. If this is an increase or I'm mistaken with the bug and it’s still there.

I have Veeroa Denz but hoping the Droid is fixed. He says nothing, no combat jibber jabber to annoy me. I still have times when I suffer ZO-Om’s shrill nails on chalkboard combat squealing time to time, but otherwise I break out the Nathema beast (which matches the Nexu mount perfectly) or some other companion. (Still collecting them all)

Not sure if it was fixed or not. D-R3D...

The issue is subtle, his AOE is supposed to be channeled (I think 1.5s) but it isn't, the other saber users hit multiple times and he only hits once. It's not a major difference in most fights, just takes overall dps down a bit.

QO-77 is perfectly functional (now) and silent, I also think it looks a little like the droid from the mando season 1.

Its important to note than rDPS companions will generally take less damage as well, because melee enemies will have to close distance. So companions like Shae benefit in multiple ways than just DPS. That said, mDPS can be very beneficial when AOE damage is being received, and you are able to kite and maintain agro, you will be able to move yourself and your companion out of the AOE damage without needing to micromanage. Its very useful for some FP boss encounters.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed in the parsing table you listed Kaliyo at around 8.7k which seems quite higher compared to the other rifle/sniper/pistol users and had her closer on par to dual pistol companions. Anything special about her that gets her so much higher or do you think this was just a fluke?