Update on Upcoming Releases

CharlesBoyd

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks!

I hope everyone is doing well, taking care of themselves, and keeping up the social distancing :)

As Keith alluded to a few weeks back, EA, Bioware, and the SWTOR team have shifted to working entirely from home to ensure the ongoing safety of our team members. Like us, the voiceover studios where we record dialogue around the world are also eager to ensure the health and safety of their staff and actors, and have postponed all in-studio recording activities. As y'all know, our cast is pretty huge; some actors do have in-home recording capability, but unfortunately, many others understandably do not.

In order to adapt to these unexpected changes and challenges, we've made some updates to our upcoming releases. I've put together a run-down of the changes as we see them currently below. Naturally, this is very much subject to change as circumstances unfold; we will keep you all updated in the coming weeks if any additional changes become necessary.

Update 6.1.1 is moving out one week to Tuesday, April 21:

• 6.1.1 will include a number of improvements to Conquests, adjustments to class balance and end-game items, and other quality-of-life improvements.
  • We will also begin a Double XP event with this update, running from April 21st until May 19th.
  • However, we have made the difficult decision to delay Master Mode of the Dxun operation out of this update. Based on our testing on PTS, we believe that holding this portion of the content back for further iteration and improvement will lead to a higher quality experience for all of you to enjoy a bit later, in update 6.1.2 (see below).

Update 6.2, currently targeting June, has become Update 6.1.2:

• Update 6.1.2 will introduce a unique new in-game event that will join the weekly rotating schedule alongside Dantooine, Gree, etc. The event will be themed around the ultimate Swoop biker rally spread across multiple planets in the SWTOR galaxy. We'll share more info about the insane obstacle courses these daredevil riders are setting up very soon :tran_cool:
  • As mentioned above, Master Mode of the Dxun operation will also be released with this update!
  • In addition to more quality-of-life updates, we're also targeting some fun additions to Nar Shaddaa Night Life, which will return this summer!
  • So why is this update changing numbers? Because it was originally intended to include the conclusion of the Kira/Scourge/Satele storyline introduced in Onslaught's finale. Unfortunately, the dialogue has not yet been recorded for that storyline, so we will have to wait to release it until recording operations are back in full swing. Rest assured, getting that story out is our top priority, so as soon as we can get it back on the schedule we will. Based on our current information, our (very) tentative release target for that is late summer/early fall - that patch will become the "new" 6.2.

We really appreciate everyone's patience as we work through these challenging times, and look forward to sharing more concrete details as we get them.

Stay safe out there!

May i ask if the new CM stuff will be added aswell? Thanks.

Hi folks!

I hope everyone is doing well, taking care of themselves, and keeping up the social distancing :)

As Keith alluded to a few weeks back, EA, Bioware, and the SWTOR team have shifted to working entirely from home to ensure the ongoing safety of our team members. Like us, the voiceover studios where we record dialogue around the world are also eager to ensure the health and safety of their staff and actors, and have postponed all in-studio recording activities. As y'all know, our cast is pretty huge; some actors do have in-home recording capability, but unfortunately, many others understandably do not.

In order to adapt to these unexpected changes and challenges, we've made some updates to our upcoming releases. I've put together a run-down of the changes as we see them currently below. Naturally, this is very much subject to change as circumstances unfold; we will keep you all updated in the coming weeks if any additional changes become necessary.

• 6.1.1 will include a number of improvements to Conquests, adjustments to class balance and end-game items, and other quality-of-life improvements.
  • We will also begin a Double XP event with this update, running from April 21st until May 19th.
  • However, we have made the difficult decision to delay Master Mode of the Dxun operation out of this update. Based on our testing on PTS, we believe that holding this portion of the content back for further iteration and improvement will lead to a higher quality experience for all of you to enjoy a bit later, in update 6.1.2 (see below).

• Update 6.1.2 will introduce a unique new in-game event that will join the weekly rotating schedule alongside Dantooine, Gree, etc. The event will be themed around the ultimate Swoop biker rally spread across multiple planets in the SWTOR galaxy. We'll share more info about the insane obstacle courses these daredevil riders are setting up very soon :tran_cool:
  • As mentioned above, Master Mode of the Dxun operation will also be released with this update!
  • In addition to more quality-of-life updates, we're also targeting some fun additions to Nar Shaddaa Night Life, which will return this summer!
  • So why is this update changing numbers? Because it was originally intended to include the conclusion of the Kira/Scourge/Satele storyline introduced in Onslaught's finale. Unfortunately, the dialogue has not yet been recorded for that storyline, so we will have to wait to release it until recording operations are back in full swing. Rest assured, getting that story out is our top priority, so as soon as we can get it back on the schedule we will. Based on our current information, our (very) tentative release target for that is late summer/early fall - that patch will become the "new" 6.2.

We really appreciate everyone's patience as we work through these challenging times, and look forward to sharing more concrete details as we get them.

Stay safe out there!

Everyone's safety is #1.

It's unlikely that much of anything we can say will offer an appropriate consolation for the loss of time / revenue / and office camaraderie due to the circumstances at hand. Hey … you're human too. And some of us often think of that.

I sometimes wish that I could talk shop with some of the staff... just to have fun !

Take care sir !

I'm sorry to hear that the patch was delayed, but hardly surprised. It takes a lot of work to get set settled into a home office. I'm also not in the least surprised that story content has been delayed.

The new event sounds very promising! There were many fun mini-games in the Chevin event that I miss. Refreshing the Nightlife Event is a great idea, especially if you'd increase the odds in our favor. It is boring as heck standing at those slot machines for such a slim chance at mount or companion that can't be unlocked account wide. Please consider refreshing the other events as well. Bounty Hunter is one of my favorites and it is long over due for some new rewards and new bounties!

I'm also looking forward to seeing what you consider quality of life improvements. Our thoughts on that matter haven't meshed in years.

As a story player who doesn't give a rat's patootie about class balance or gear bonuses, I hope that in the interim you guys will be able to focus on squashing the many bugs that interfere with my enjoyment of the old stories (i.e. Ossus flipping story flags, graphics bugs in cut-scenes, companions missing skin textures...)

May you and yours stay safe!

Since there are some questions around how double XP works, I'll give a bit more detail: a patch is required to update the in-game event schedule that activates and deactivates double XP on specified dates. So if double XP isn't already scheduled, a patch is required to add it to the schedule, at which point it then activates on whatever date we specify - in this case, the same day the patch goes live, because we want it to kick on as soon as possible for y'all :)

OK, I'll buy that. However, you're telling me the "Death of the KP Farm" patches (notice I said patcheS) couldn't have got one scheduled in there?

Hi folks!

Stay safe out there!

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the update and I’m sure most of us appreciate you letting us know and understand how difficult the situation is to continue business as usual.

I would also like to say thank you to you and the team for continuing to support the game during this period.

Stay safe too and we’ll see you guys on the other side of this pandemic

Best of wishes

TrixxieTriss.

Edit:

On a side note, while you guys are at home working (and hopefully playing the game a bit more than usual), can some of the team please invest sometime into playing reg/ranked pvp to follow up on some of the cheating and poor attitudes going on (Star Forge) in pvp.

And also get some first hand experience of how badly the quality of reg pvp has degraded because objective pvp isn’t played properly anymore.

I made a thread with one suggestion to start addressing this : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=977788

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Postpone anything needed, no one should be surprised by this or upset either.

The planet is in crisis mode and I am pretty sure anyone with a brain realizes that content on a game being delayed during times like these is completely understandable and not a big deal.

I just hope PVP class balance involves nerfing stealth classes particularly the DPS Operatives. I also think that healer output needs to be increased they can't keep up with the amount of burst that many DPS classes have now.

Thanks Charles, and be safe!

Edited by Lhancelot

Actually, there isn't a sign. Even if there is, it's been routinely ignored. And I'll take my sarcastic Hutt RP-ing hat off for once. Contrary to what some might believe, I'm not a Hutt, I'm a human being...

In the 4 plus years I've been back I have sent 3 private messages to Bioware Employees. The first is irrelevant to this topic and was three years ago. The last two have been in the last month, both of which have been ignored.

To paraphrase, here is what I sent: I think you (Bioware) should issue the following statement:

"We understand these are challenging times during COVID-19. While we understand (and encourage!) as a community to share our personal experiences in terms of coping, we ask that people refrain from promulgating medical advice or conclusions. We encourage everyone to consult with relevant authorities, medical professionals, etc., to arrive at their own decisions, but the SWTOR forums are not the F-UCKING place (last part is my insertion) on which to get such advice."

Two things, however, are true:

1) Bioware ignored my sage advice;

2) Other social media forums have banned people for disseminating patently false advice.

Let's stipulate I'm not a medical doctor (I'm not), but it's shameful that BW allows Fortnite, Ramei, Merov, et al, to spew their nonsense, when the simple solution is to stop all of us from playing Doogie Howser.

Ban me for saying they are full of s-hit. Fine, but ban them too.

Just so we are clear, I'm not angry with Fort, Ramei, and Merov, though I think they are blithering idiots. I'm angry with Bioware and their absolutely piss poor job at forum management on something this critical -- as in life and death. Virtually every single other forum I participate in has followed my advice -- which is -- don't give conclusions or advice b/c I'm not a medical professional, and even if I said I was, you have no reason to believe me. They immediately nuke any post like that.

BW should do the same. It's not that complicated.

Dasty

P.S. Hugs all, I think I might be getting a little vacation! Remember, I call it like I see it and that will never change. :rak_03:

You hit the nail right on the head. People are dying from covid-19, I see people in my neighbourhood disappearing in ambulances and not all of them have returned. The crisis is real, the virus is real and is taking lives as we speak.

I fully support Dasty that anyone spewing misinformation about covid-19 should be banned outright and barred from posting on these forums. Even the freedom of speech has limits and spreading idiotic misinformation or crazy conspiracy theories it's a hoax is wrong and exceeds the boundaries of reason and decency. The people who spread the misinformation should be ashamed, ashamed for the damage they do. They should be ashamed of how badly they fail to be decent human beings, how they fail at feeling empathy and kinship with others. They should be ashamed at the levels of idiocy they believe in, how they fail to listen to reason and common sense. They should be ashamed at how they'd rather listen to their own delusions than to the opinions of scientists, experts and doctors or nurses.

Edited by Ylliarus

Since there are some questions around how double XP works, I'll give a bit more detail: a patch is required to update the in-game event schedule that activates and deactivates double XP on specified dates. So if double XP isn't already scheduled, a patch is required to add it to the schedule, at which point it then activates on whatever date we specify - in this case, the same day the patch goes live, because we want it to kick on as soon as possible for y'all :)

Look, I get it. With everything that's going on, I think a delay is to be expected and completely understandable. But you know how much we need the double rewards event. Why not release a small patch when we asked for it, when most people started their lockdown, just with the event, and then you can delay the updates and changes all you want?

Thnk you devs for keeping us informed I have to say recently your level of communication with us has been top notch and im sure theres alot of appreciation!

Idf love it if some bugs could be fixed!

Im glad you delayed Dxun if it cant be polished! The MMO in player in me would rather have polished group content rather than rushed ones :)

Charles,

thanks for the update. I hope the whole SWTOR team stays safe during this crisis. I know I give you guys a hard time sometimes, but I can't believe any reasonable person would have issues with a delay to the release schedule in times like these.

I am looking forward to Conquest changes, and am really looking forward to the Swoop Bike thing.

All The Best

The Working From Home Policy wasn't established due to safety concerns, blah blah blah, translate as I'm another stupid troll that feeds off the misery of others, and am a lowlife who uses a global crisis to get my kicks..

People like this need to be removed, people in this forum have been banned for a lot less. Ican't imagine the stupidity of people, or greed, or whatever that makes them think it's ok to use a crisis to troll, or feed whatever lack of needs they have,

**** off bioware and ea u just broke a prmise of it being the 14th not its 21st u owe us credits or something for beig lying *** hats that love to break promises .....

just another deadbeat troll, feeding off the misery other people are going through at the moment, should be removed from the game and account deleted, then he wouldn't have to worry about 'broken' promises :/

Health comes first, I'm really curous about this new event :cool:

me too, just wondering if it's going to be something akin to the chevin event, maybe an off shoot, as the rakghoul event was?

A game isn't worth the loss of someone you care about, keep yourself safe and sane. Most of the gamers in this community are decent people, we argue, and moan, just like a family, but also just like a family, we unite during a crisis, and support each other.

Edited by DarkTergon

Do you have any clue of what's going on in the world? The effect that COVID-19 has on everyone? Do you fundamentally lack empathy to understand that people are affected by this crisis and that schedules and plans have to be turned over to fit the new reality? Do you think they want to postpone or change dates? No, of course they don't want to. But the current crisis is demanding that plans be overturned in order for people to stay safe and healthy. If you fail to understand that, then I truly pity you.

I had a “discussion” with a guy who clearly was very young. He mocked me, taunted me, and tried to troll me by saying things like “don’t be so afraid panic is what’s causing all the problems not the virus.” On top of that, he made sure to brag in guild chat that he had “2000 rounds and was ready to unload them all.” What does rounds and bullets have to do with the pandemic? Lol. It took a lot of willpower for me to not go off on this ignorant child. He even had a guy in the guild as his back up peanut gallery informing me that I was not the “Arbiter of humor” when I said it was hardly a laughing matter what was happening to people across the world. I never heard such callous and misinformed chat on a game though, but that’s where we are as people, it seems.

Thing is he was attaching a narrative to me that didn’t even fit... firstly he kept saying I was afraid of getting it myself because I was old, which I had to correct him I am actually not in any of the at risk categories (I am fit, under 50, and I am practicing social distancing as well as not going out in public) and I am doing it for family members, not myself. That’s how narrow minded and dumb some of these guys are that are making light of the pandemic, I don’t know where these guys get their info from but it’s from a really uneducated and ignorant place that much is sure.

My point is I wish people had the empathy they had 20+ years ago, it really seems our society and members of it have forgotten to care bout their fellow man and instead are only worried about themselves and their own safety.

Anyway I didn’t want to talk about this, but I was really disappointed and still am that at this stage there are still people who make jokes about the pandemic. I don’t understand why people have to personally experience the loss of loved ones to recognize it’s a serious situation, though. And never in the history of man, have we ever found death a humorous topic in that when a sweeping plague, pandemic, etc. is running rampant across the globe!

I will never agree that all topics are subject to being considered humorous, this is simply wrong. There are social boundaries in all societies and one that is never humorous is the notion of loved ones dying. So yes, I may not be the arbiter of humor, however our past history of societies and present are, and never has this been an appropriate topic to make jest of.

Edited by Lhancelot

Thanks for continuing to work on the game. I hope that you all stay safe.

This terrible time comes with so much pain and many challenges, but I am hoping that it will end up having some positive effects amid all the bad ones, for instance if it encourages companies to provide more options for employees. When this is all over, I hope that those who previously weren't allowed to work from home, but who would benefit from doing so, would be allowed (at least some days in the week, anyway).

Hi folks!

Stay safe out there!

What about giving some love to team ranked pvp???It needs new rewards to make it popular again as it was in season 8-10

I mean, I'd have to go back through the patchnotes, but I'd imagine every one has come with a Tuesday maintenance and some x.x.x update.

If they said that, it is fiction.

I have played from launch... they have had events based on just double XP. It does not have to coincide with an event. Literally an on/off switch in the code.

Joke of a company with the joke of a game, seriously can't even release more than one nim operation for 3 years. wow

Forum moderators, this troll comment is worthy of a ban. If you don't like how the game is going, unsub/uninstal/delete your account, naff of from the forums and go do/play something else. The devs are trying their best and lockdowns for everyone's safety are making creating entertainment very difficult (if not impossible) for everyone right now.

I appreciate that due to the staff efforts the game is still running and it's good to see lots of players everywhere (and so many new players). Non guild groups for world boss weekly? Who heard of such a thing before lockdown :D

P.S. I also appreciate the update, thanks /thumbs up

I have played from launch... they have had events based on just double XP. It does not have to coincide with an event. Literally an on/off switch in the code.

Yes, but those double xp events always started on a Tuesday when they did weekly maintenance. I don't recall that one of them started on a different day ever. I do recall however one long double xp event around the dark vs light time a few years back that was bugged and they were only able to fix it with a proper update, which extended the event to a later day.

I don't assume to know the reason why this is, I imagine it has to do with the game engine, but it has become pretty apparant that turning them on and off is not just a simple switch. I mean, why wouldn't they if they could? What possible ulterior motive is there for them to not flip it on and get more people to play the game?

Edited by Phazonfreak

Just curious, are you a programmer?, do you code games? Anything as big as this?

All you kids complaining the update as been postponed by a week, grow the F up. The world has more pressing issues at the moment. Everyone knows this is a trying time and understands why there is a delay.

Can't blame it all on the younger generation, i can bet a lot of them are supposed adults, lol.

But either way, you are correct, regardless of their age, they do need to grow up.