Update on Upcoming Releases

CharlesBoyd

• Dev Post

Hi folks!

I hope everyone is doing well, taking care of themselves, and keeping up the social distancing :)

As Keith alluded to a few weeks back, EA, Bioware, and the SWTOR team have shifted to working entirely from home to ensure the ongoing safety of our team members. Like us, the voiceover studios where we record dialogue around the world are also eager to ensure the health and safety of their staff and actors, and have postponed all in-studio recording activities. As y'all know, our cast is pretty huge; some actors do have in-home recording capability, but unfortunately, many others understandably do not.

In order to adapt to these unexpected changes and challenges, we've made some updates to our upcoming releases. I've put together a run-down of the changes as we see them currently below. Naturally, this is very much subject to change as circumstances unfold; we will keep you all updated in the coming weeks if any additional changes become necessary.

Update 6.1.1 is moving out one week to Tuesday, April 21:

• 6.1.1 will include a number of improvements to Conquests, adjustments to class balance and end-game items, and other quality-of-life improvements.
  • We will also begin a Double XP event with this update, running from April 21st until May 19th.
  • However, we have made the difficult decision to delay Master Mode of the Dxun operation out of this update. Based on our testing on PTS, we believe that holding this portion of the content back for further iteration and improvement will lead to a higher quality experience for all of you to enjoy a bit later, in update 6.1.2 (see below).

Update 6.2, currently targeting June, has become Update 6.1.2:

• Update 6.1.2 will introduce a unique new in-game event that will join the weekly rotating schedule alongside Dantooine, Gree, etc. The event will be themed around the ultimate Swoop biker rally spread across multiple planets in the SWTOR galaxy. We'll share more info about the insane obstacle courses these daredevil riders are setting up very soon :tran_cool:
  • As mentioned above, Master Mode of the Dxun operation will also be released with this update!
  • In addition to more quality-of-life updates, we're also targeting some fun additions to Nar Shaddaa Night Life, which will return this summer!
  • So why is this update changing numbers? Because it was originally intended to include the conclusion of the Kira/Scourge/Satele storyline introduced in Onslaught's finale. Unfortunately, the dialogue has not yet been recorded for that storyline, so we will have to wait to release it until recording operations are back in full swing. Rest assured, getting that story out is our top priority, so as soon as we can get it back on the schedule we will. Based on our current information, our (very) tentative release target for that is late summer/early fall - that patch will become the "new" 6.2.

We really appreciate everyone's patience as we work through these challenging times, and look forward to sharing more concrete details as we get them.

Stay safe out there!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will also begin a Double XP event with this update, running from April 21st until May 19th.

So does this mean that the Double XP event planned for April 14th is being postponed until this date? I kinda wanted the XP event next week. Granted, I'll take any double XP.

• Dev Post
So does this mean that the Double XP event planned for April 14th is being postponed until this date? I kinda wanted the XP event next week. Granted, I'll take any double XP.

That is correct! The Double XP will go into effect when Game Update 6.1.1 goes live.

first and foremost, stay safe and any delays due to being unable to work in person are completely understood.

That said, are there any responses to the feedback provided in the pts section regarding the class changes?

And, since any voice acting is delayed essentially, if understandably, indefinitely, could there be the potential for looking at some of the "quality of life" changes.

These include my many pleads in regards to gearing randomness, credit sink ridiculousness, the sheer idiocy of amplifiers, the crafting dumpster fire, class balance issue that will linger in spite of (or perhaps because of) your balance changes (and the lack of feedback acknowledgement and discussion), and the plethora of both acknowledged and unacknowledged bugs.

I am withholding judgment on new conquest until we see it, but I am already unhappy with the fact lowbies are losing the mat reward. As someone who got the DvL gear, the gear boxes are basically useless to me. Why should I bother leveling the rest of my characters or make new ones if they aren't going to get me anything useful? I already can't cap all the toons I do have.

TLDR: I appreciate the mess that the coronavirus has caused everyone, however, could we use this nightmare to provide a silver lining that would benefit everyone?

Edited by KendraP

I'm hardly a regular on the forums here, ha. But I know that things are not easy for anyone anywhere right now. You've had to work around the restrictions needed during COVID. Pushing back story content that requires multiple people to record their VA makes perfect sense.

The fact that you've not just said "sorry folks, nothing happening until Autumn" and have new, alternative things planned is great. Very much looking forward (massively intrigued) by the Swoop Event and also what you might do to liven up Nar Shaddaa Night Life.

Keep up the work, where that's possible.

But, above all, stay safe :cool:

- FJ

That is correct! The Double XP will go into effect when Game Update 6.1.1 goes live.

Could we get an insight as to what QoL improvements are being planned? There are some things that I really would want to see added as QoL improvements so I am hoping they'll be added in :)

For example, I'd really love to see the class titles such as Darth, Master, Lord etc. to be earnable for toons that skipped story either through the ship terminal or CM token! Especially now that in Onslaught people can rejoin their old factions and be restored to their former positions, it would be a good moment to earn those titles if you have skipped story! Of course, under the condition that the player has completed the class stories at least once on different toons before.

Edited by Ylliarus

Thanks for the update, that new event sounds fun. Any chance we could see a return on some of the limited time companions? I remember a comment about Master Ranos on the live steam where you talked about the Alderaan stronghold.

Appreciate the update and the honesty of no new content until Fall. Will check back towards the end of the year.

Stay safe all.

And no...im never changing the sig. LMAO

Edited by Atrix

I’d like to know one thing....

How many double XP events have come with an update? To my knowledge not many.

Why does THIS ONE HAVE to coincide with an update.

Something fishy going on behind the scenes?

Just turn the 2xp on!

Just turn the 2xp on!

didn't they say awhile ago dxp events required updates?

Just turn the 2xp on!

I mean, I'd have to go back through the patchnotes, but I'd imagine every one has come with a Tuesday maintenance and some x.x.x update.

[*]Update 6.1.2 will introduce a unique new in-game event that will join the weekly rotating schedule alongside Dantooine, Gree, etc. The event will be themed around the ultimate Swoop biker rally spread across multiple planets in the SWTOR galaxy. We'll share more info about the insane obstacle courses these daredevil riders are setting up very soon :tran_cool:

This brings back memories of the corny-as-heck Speeder Races we used to have on Corellia and Tattooine! Ah, good times:

Thank-you guys for all your hard work and keeping the game running for us. Ignore the unsavory people who feel the need to complain about everything. It is a hard time right now and I guess some people like to use this as a place to release that pent up anguish. So just know that there are many of us who understand the hard work you guys put into making our lives a little richer and more fun, it's appreciated.

I mean, I'd have to go back through the patchnotes, but I'd imagine every one has come with a Tuesday maintenance and some x.x.x update.

Patch Notes 10-25-16

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/10252016/game-update-4.7.3

No mention of 2xp

Twitter post 10-29-16

2XP running until 11-29

===============

Patch notes 8-22-17

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/8222017/game-update-5.4-crisis-umbara

No mention of 2xp

Twitter post 8-28-17

2xP starts the next day... no patch needed!

====================

Patch Notes 5-3-2016

https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/532016/game-update-4.4-profit-and-plunder

No mention of 2xp

Twitter post 5-26-16 (3 weeks later)

========================================

SO they CAN turn it on without requiring it being patch day.

I will go and look for more tomorrow.

Edited by LJ_Gibbs

Patch Notes 10-25-16

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/10252016/game-update-4.7.3

No mention of 2xp

Twitter post 10-29-16

2XP running until 11-29

===============

Patch notes 8-22-17

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/8222017/game-update-5.4-crisis-umbara

No mention of 2xp

Twitter post 8-28-17

2xP starts the next day... no patch needed!

====================

Patch Notes 5-3-2016

https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/532016/game-update-4.4-profit-and-plunder

No mention of 2xp

Twitter post 5-26-16 (3 weeks later)

========================================

SO they CAN turn it on without requiring it being patch day.

I will go and look for more tomorrow.

Not according to this:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=949522&page=7

Doing something like changing the running time of events is built into the game itself, which would mean that we need to create a new patch to address it. To answer your question, it is a substantially larger undertaking to create a new patch than it is for us to do a "back-end" fix like the one we are doing tomorrow.

-eric

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9602872#post9602872

• Dev Post
Since there are some questions around how double XP works, I'll give a bit more detail: a patch is required to update the in-game event schedule that activates and deactivates double XP on specified dates. So if double XP isn't already scheduled, a patch is required to add it to the schedule, at which point it then activates on whatever date we specify - in this case, the same day the patch goes live, because we want it to kick on as soon as possible for y'all :)