KOTFE Story and Companions

CharlesBoyd

Signed.

We have the same discussion in the german RP Community. We even had a survey on if people would accept timejumps and for which periods. 5 years? 10? 20?

It occures that many people are thrilled and exited but about the same amount of people is deeply concerned. E.g. they are roleplaying a Padawan in the age of 14-18. If the timejump would be 10 years, they would be Jedi-Knight, most likely but the players don't want there characters to be Knights, but Padawans.

So, like stated above, it would be extremly helpful if you could tell us, if the timejump will be one year, five, ten or whatever.

Thank you :)

It fills my heart with warm fuzzies to know that there are strong RP communities for this game across the globe. I have the same concerns as you! This is a huge change for those of us who RP and I seriously hope there's some way it can work for all of us.

Thanks, CharlesBoyd, for posting about this! And while all of my concerns haven't gone away, it's reassuring to know the BW writing team knows we're biting our nails over this.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good one: all of my Vanguard's companions are in old PvP armor shells that are no longer available on the PvP vendors. If I start KotFE (and lose all of my companions), will I lose all of that gear that they're wearing? Should I unequip them all first?

Good question.

Hey folks!

Seeing all of the discussion around our Knights of the Fallen Empire announcement has been awesome! It means a lot to the writing team to see how much y’all care about the details of the story and characters of SWTOR, and all of the insightful questions and debates that flow from that. I’m here to hopefully shed a bit of light on a few of the most common questions I’ve seen.

Up front, I think the best answer I can give to any story question is that it’s always best to wait and see how the story itself will answer it. I personally just hate giving out spoilers, so I won’t be doing that here. I promise, the main storyline of KOTFE is all about the things y’all have been asking, and October is going to be here very soon. In the meantime, though, let’s see if we can’t at least clarify a couple of things now:

• The Outlander: your character’s past will be a key part of their identity as the Outlander moving forward. The choices you’ve made, romances you’ve pursued, your class, etc are all a part of who your character is, and those decisions will be honored in KOTFE; often in unexpected ways. How that works for characters who are created at level 60 is something we’ll dive into in the future, but we will not be setting a “canon” version of any class or world storyline. Your choices matter – that’s at the heart of our storytelling philosophy at BioWare.
  • Companions: there’s a ton of stuff going on with companions in this release, and we’re not ready to dive into most of it just yet. What I can say is that past companions will return in the story, sometimes as very critical parts of the overall story shared by all Outlanders. Which classes can recruit which characters, who can be romanced, who can you kill and who might betray you? You’ll have to play and see :) Finally, I’ve seen a lot of people referencing the KOTFE page’s character list as a list of companions – not everyone on that list will become a companion, and not every companion in the story is included in that list.
  • Valkorion: who is this guy? What happened to that other Emperor? Aren’t they both actually Jadus, who’s secretly Kephess, who’s actually a mutated clone of Kai Zykken created by Fez Burba for the Star Cabal’s secret war against the Shroud? OK, so I actually haven’t seen that theory, but IT’S ALL TRUE TELL EVERYONE BEFORE IT’S TOO LA----

[Charles had to take a few days off to relax, but he’ll be back in time to answer more questions at our Community Cantina event at San Diego Comic Con next month! - Musco]

I want to know will we still have the ability to take our old companions with us or are they all being turned into World-NPC's. And for those of us with Companion Romance's essentially hanging in the air still what will this expansion mean.

So much head cannon is going to be upset by these changes, damage control is probably the best we can hope for given just how many possible ways a player can interpret their play experience.

Le Sigh... the trailer was fancy but I foresee most of my hopes about swtor being dashed ahead.

Also if I get woken up by Doc on my Female Knight cause he won't accept that I don't want a romance with him... grr

Edited by Raistalion

I want to know will we still have the ability to take our old companions with us or are they all being turned into World-NPC's. And for those of us with Companion Romance's essentially hanging in the air still what will this expansion mean.

So much head cannon is going to be upset by these changes, damage control is probably the best we can hope for given just how many possible ways a player can interpret their play experience.

Le Sigh... the trailer was fancy but I foresee most of my hopes about swtor being dashed ahead.

Also if I get woken up by Doc on my Female Knight cause he won't accept that I don't want a romance with him... grr

I'm pretty sure it was said, we can recruit both our old and new companions back if we want.

Yeah on the page about the expansion, under the Build Alliance says we can reunite with our old companions. I would assume we can get them back and all that.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Reunite, is not Re-recruit.

It could mean as little as, yes they are standing about in the world somewhere as a contact/quest giver

But then you get all sorts of weirdness with things like people using alternate appearance stuff.

Still wanting to know if the Imperial romances that were broken in SoR will continue to remain broken. i have quite a few characters sitting at the end of Forged Alliances that havent started SoR for -exactly- this reason.

Bad enough they have the potential to be Jacob Taylored, (I chose Garrus but still) but to have them completely ignore the fact that they are supposed to be in a relationship at all will make me not want to continue . :mad:

Bad feeling just getting worse and worse, especially since they pretty much gave everyone in ME3 the finger romance wise at the end.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Reunite, is not Re-recruit.

It could mean as little as, yes they are standing about in the world somewhere as a contact/quest giver

But then you get all sorts of weirdness with things like people using alternate appearance stuff.

True, but it would seem kind of silly and disappointing if people couldn't get back old companions.

Sorry if I missed this question or a response in all these posts, but what about players who have several toons at end game with very little companions and almost none of the current story completed?

I have multiple raiding toons who have basically the starter companion, the droid, and the ewok. What then?

Sorry if I missed this question or a response in all these posts, but what about players who have several toons at end game with very little companions and almost none of the current story completed?

I have multiple raiding toons who have basically the starter companion, the droid, and the ewok. What then?

You're S O L?

And why rush to end game? In SWTOR, story should ALWAYS be number 1 priority....if nothing else new comes up. :p

I'm pretty sure it was said, we can recruit both our old and new companions back if we want.

Yeah on the page about the expansion, under the Build Alliance says we can reunite with our old companions. I would assume we can get them back and all that.

See, this is why I find the info so far to be painfully lacking. It does not specify that we can recruit all of our old companions, and reunite does not necessarily mean regain as a companion. And I have learned not to make such assumptions.

They could easily clarify this: "Don't worry, you won't lose any of your companions permanently. If you want them back, you will be able to re-recruit them." Or, if that is not the case, they could tell us just as easily. The longer they go without clarifying this, the more I will be inclined to worry that we will indeed be permanently losing some of our companions.

See, this is why I find the info so far to be painfully lacking. It does not specify that we can recruit all of our old companions, and reunite does not necessarily mean regain as a companion. And I have learned not to make such assumptions.

They could easily clarify this: "Don't worry, you won't lose any of your companions permanently. If you want them back, you will be able to re-recruit them." Or, if that is not the case, they could tell us just as easily. The longer they go without clarifying this, the more I will be inclined to worry that we will indeed be permanently losing some of our companions.

Perhaps, but I think it would be kinda silly and disappointing and probably people shouting at Bioware that we wouldn't have the chance to get back at least some of our old companions.

At the very least get back our 1st companions we started with.

If this means that some of them would be like DA:I Cullen, where he's just someone you visit whenever you want (I think? I don't play that game), I would be okay with that. But it sucks for people who are used to adventuring with specific companions if they can't keep them.

I too find the lack of the word "all" to be worrisome. Same with thte use of "reunite". And no mention of Theron :(

Dulfy isn't a Dev, I'm not quite sure why you're reading her post as if it's a Dev post.

I know she's not a dev and I'm not reading her post as a dev post. I'm joking. Sometimes the :D gives it away. Sometimes evidently is not obviuos enough for some.

I thought of including a :rolleyes: somewhere but with the posiblity you miss its meaning, I rather not.

Edited by wainot-keel

I know she's not a dev and I'm not reading her post as a dev post. I'm joking. Sometimes the :D gives it away. Sometimes evidently is not obviuos enough for some.

I thought of including a :rolleyes: somewhere but with the posiblity you miss its meaning, I rather not.

I prefer :p for things like that.

This news is making me wish I could go back and make changes to the choices I've made.

The x12 is up until pretty much the day before early access of KOTFE this October. Roll a new toon?

But there is the most important question that no one has yet asked:

Will speeders finally act like actual speeders?

Edited by Diviciacus

Unless devs are completely stupid and failed to notice the game is 2+ years old, it seems obvious we wil be able to get back all our current companions, their gear, ... the contrary would upset lots of people.

Kinda the same as whether or not will we be able to get back to the current content or not, many people like some or all of the current content, making it unplayable once RotFE starts would be a stupid design decision.

It's an EXPANSION, not a REBOOT.

That said, it seems also quite clear that getting all our current companions back may lead to story choices some people don't like, people will have sometimes to choose between the story arc and a companion (getting new companions will help for thoses afraid of losing a companion with a unique role, like getting rid of Quinn is not a problem from a combat gameplay POV as long as we can get another companion healer somewhere in the expansion (and not from cartel market))