Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

Thread topic summary at this point:

A) Have to make the effort to redecorate my stronghold (deactivate them when a new one is available) and find a new outfit (I change them weekly)

Versus

B) Have the ability to play Flashpoints, Heroics, Operations, PVP, GSF, and all of the group/endgame content that make up 50% of this game.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's THAT important to you, you should have held on to it.

Tux,

Maybe they didn't think there would ever be a merger and didn't think it was worth putting in the cargo bank. I know I have a couple like that and especially when I didn't have room with all my crafting stuff.

And it will go round and round until Bioware makes a definitive statement on this about what is going to be done. There is no choice. They need to hurry up. It's not like this is a "new" issue, you know?

They have stated they don't want to force anyone to move and they are not wanting to do mergers until they can get guilds to transfer intact with all the guild assets and personal assets as well.

Except for bioware kinda have they say they don't want to force anyone to move so nothing in the near future is that not enough?

It's not what the pro-server merge crowd wants to hear, so obviously it is not enough for them.

They have stated they don't want to force anyone to move and they are not wanting to do mergers until they can get guilds to transfer intact with all the guild assets and personal assets as well.

Even if they do resolve all the issues and allow guilds to transfer with all guild assets intact and players are able to transfer without losing any assets, from Keith's interview it seems they may still choose not to merge servers, opting to leave the choice of server and server population in the individual player's (or guild's) hands.

Even if they do resolve all the issues and allow guilds to transfer with all guild assets intact and players are able to transfer without losing any assets, from Keith's interview it seems they may still choose not to merge servers, opting to leave the choice of server and server population in the individual player's (or guild's) hands.

If they ever manage to get in the position that they can transfer guilds etc then I still think the best choice is to leave all servers open and not merge, I am all for players having the ability to choose whether they want a high pop or lower pop but potentially quieter server.

But maybe offer guilds a deal to transfer if they wish.

Well then that settles it to be honest. They are still figuring out how to transfer things intact. That's a valid reason for holding off. It doesn't, however, change the fact that 90% of the game's servers are either in decline or already dead.

As for people implying that I posted my original comment because I only "want to hear what I want to hear" or some crap: I don't look on these forums regularly and only recently re-subbed. I haven't been keeping tabs on everything Bioware has said, and I figured them having a megathread implied that this debate was still actively ongoing otherwise what is the point of such a thread? And no, I haven't read every page. I jumped to the last most recent and took a summary from there mixed with my own experiences.

Stay mad. My personal opinion is that their prolonged inactivity on this issue is going to be catastrophic for the game in the near future, but if they have said they aren't going to force the issue and are still figuring out how they could even do such a move without breaking up guilds and whatnot, then so be it. It's their game.

Edited by doelow

Since I have the last 5 posters on ignore I'll just assume

“I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid?”

Nope, none of them mentioned you or your post. They more than likely have you on ignore too. /shrug

Edited by kodrac

Huh? One I have control over (my inventory), the other I don't (free will of others). Come on Bob...you're just replying with nonsense now.

I think the line right after you snipped it sort of explains that line, and then, of course, there's the rest of the post... :)

Well then that settles it to be honest. They are still figuring out how to transfer things intact. That's a valid reason for holding off. It doesn't, however, change the fact that 90% of the game's servers are either in decline or already dead.

Citation needed. What information do you have access to that none of the rest of us do? From the forums, I've seen one post about one dead server, and even then, it's vague, at best, so unless 1 server is 90% of the servers, I'd say someone is making things up.

As for people implying that I posted my original comment because I only "want to hear what I want to hear" or some crap: I don't look on these forums regularly and only recently re-subbed. I haven't been keeping tabs on everything Bioware has said, and I figured them having a megathread implied that this debate was still actively ongoing otherwise what is the point of such a thread? And no, I haven't read every page. I jumped to the last most recent and took a summary from there mixed with my own experiences.

I can't say what the motivation here is, but back when I used to moderate an MMO forum, we made threads like this to "keep all the loonies in one place".

Stay mad. My personal opinion is that their prolonged inactivity on this issue is going to be catastrophic for the game in the near future, but if they have said they aren't going to force the issue and are still figuring out how they could even do such a move without breaking up guilds and whatnot, then so be it. It's their game.

It was going to be catastrophic to the game 3 years ago, and yet, here we are, still discussing it. Seems legit.

True, but if they are dealing with separate companies that they rent server space on they probably have a 1 year lease agreement. Keith's predecessor didn't have server architecture on his list. His budget extras probably went mostly to voiceover talent.

Is it safe to assume their modus operundi before was 'we gotta get new people to play and have people return' is now 'gee, we need to keep the people we have here happy'

Thread topic summary at this point:

A) Have to make the effort to redecorate my stronghold (deactivate them when a new one is available) and find a new outfit (I change them weekly)

Versus

B) Have the ability to play Flashpoints, Heroics, Operations, PVP, GSF, and all of the group/endgame content that make up 50% of this game.

B: I don't PuG Flashpoints, Heroics, seriously, someone uses GF for heroics? Where's that tab? I don't PuG Ops, unless we're short a dps or two. PvP can take a long walk on a short pier, it's already destroying the rest of the game. Does anyone play GSF any more?

I think the line right after you snipped it sort of explains that line, and then, of course, there's the rest of the post... :)

I quoted all I read. What came after that didn't matter to me after what you opened with.

Maybe they didn't think there would ever be a merger and didn't think it was worth putting in the cargo bank. I know I have a couple like that and especially when I didn't have room with all my crafting stuff.
Then maybe they'll learn for their next MMO. I admit I'm a pack rat, but that's because I've gotten burned in the past in other MMOs. Let this be a learning moment for them. If it matters that much to you, hold on to it.

Again, you are just thinking about yourself. There are people with hundreds of outfits. That does take time. It also take credits. There are people who will lose irreplaceable armor. There are people who will lose expensive dyes. Your cavalier attitude towards other people's time and money is frankly surprising since you always say you don't want people driven away from the game.

[Note: the following comments are in no way supportive of the fact that appearance tabs get wiped currently on a character transfer and that this needs to be resolved by the studio. This artifact in the transfer process does need to be addressed along with all the guild specific issues we are all pretty well aware of.]

Since the system was known from day one... this is a poor rationalization on your part. Any armor that was unique and valued and used as part of an appearance tab... HAS ALWAYS dictated that you put said item away in storage for later in case you need it for some reason... which can include an in game bug or glitch that could bork up an appearance tab, or a player is simply careless and accidentally over-writes something in an appearance tab (even though there were pop-up warnings and confirmations... which some players in their haste blow right past. And what if you actually wanted to make a variation of said appearance tab, with some changes, on a new appearance tab? This pragmatic fact dictates that a player has a conscious responsibility to mitigate any shortcomings in a particular MMO feature (in this case the appearance tabs).

Personally, about 90% of what I use on appearance tabs are items already in my Collections. So it's only a 10% item management issue to deal with a small number of very specific non collectable items I use. I'm sure many others are in a somewhat similar setup. I'm also sure some players are not, are careless, or thoughtless, and then come and complain when they did not take reasonable measures to preserve an item they may in fact need to use again.

Currently, until they fix this issue with character transfers.... any character that I am moving routinely across servers is put into exactly the gear appearance I want for that character on the equip tab. Not because I find the expense unreasonable or lack the items to restamp the appearance, I just don't want to hassle with this on a character I move periodically back and forth across servers. If it's a one time move, then I move the character and then pull the items needed from Collections and/or inventory and restamp.

Edited by Andryah

Citation needed. What information do you have access to that none of the rest of us do? From the forums, I've seen one post about one dead server, and even then, it's vague, at best, so unless 1 server is 90% of the servers, I'd say someone is making things up.

I'm not "making things up". If there wasn't an issue, this thread wouldn't exist in the first place. There wouldn't be a debate. The debate isn't about whether or not there are dead servers. It's a given. The debate is whether or not there should be transfers. Eye on the ball.

And if you're going to police me for using my own experiences, then go ahead and blanket apply that to everyone, even anti-merger folks too. I bet you won't. Pot5 right now: 2 people on fleet counting myself. Jedi Covenant (where I actually play) is getting smaller all the time. 33 people on Imp fleet right now when I was there 15 minutes ago. If you think that is a "normal" pop, then I have to tell you this: in ANY other AAA MMO that would be considered "low" population.

People here recommend JC as a healthy server, but I never would. It is a low pop realm, and getting lower all the time from the looks of it.

From what I can tell, if you want anything resembling a normal MMO population you are going to play on either EH or Harb. Everything else is low or dead. As for the European servers I don't know. I don't play on those because my ping would be in the gutter and I live in a house of Netflix cultists.

Edit: One more thing: I take issue with drawning population from places like Tython and Dromund Kaas. Those first couple of zones are filled with alts and F2P people who drop the game after level 20. I don't think looking at Dromund Kaas is a good metric at all. It's too low level imo. I myself have tons of characters languishing around that level.

Edited by doelow

B: I don't PuG Flashpoints, Heroics, seriously, someone uses GF for heroics? Where's that tab? I don't PuG Ops, unless we're short a dps or two. PvP can take a long walk on a short pier, it's already destroying the rest of the game. Does anyone play GSF any more?

Your infallible group of pals won't last forever and when it does you'll probably either go with them to another game or become a pug yourself. I'm just looking out for your future self, wink wink.

GSF is huge on Harbinger and TRE.

I'm not "making things up". If there wasn't an issue, this thread wouldn't exist in the first place. There wouldn't be a debate. The debate isn't about whether or not there are dead servers. It's a given. The debate is whether or not there should be transfers. Eye on the ball.

And if you're going to police me for using my own experiences, then go ahead and blanket apply that to everyone, even anti-merger folks too. I bet you won't. Pot5 right now: 2 people on fleet counting myself. Jedi Covenant (where I actually play) is getting smaller all the time. 33 people on Imp fleet right now when I was there 15 minutes ago. If you think that is a "normal" pop, then I have to tell you this: in ANY other AAA MMO that would be considered "low" population.

People here recommend JC as a healthy server, but I never would. It is a low pop realm, and getting lower all the time from the looks of it.

From what I can tell, if you want anything resembling a normal MMO population you are going to play on either EH or Harb. Everything else is low or dead. As for the European servers I don't know. I don't play on those because my ping would be in the gutter and I live in a house of Netflix cultists.

Where's the citation for 90% of the servers being dead? That's specifically asked for in the post you quoted, and I'll note you didn't provide any information to collaborate your claim, just more hyperbole about what you think is wrong. JC wasn't the server in the other thread, but I've read in this thread that it's fine, however, even giving you JC, that's 2, which is no where near your fantastical claim of 90%.

But you know what, I've changed my mind. I think the best way to solve this "dilemma" is to break Harbinger up into the other West Coast servers and then close it. That would make 2 servers more active instead of just one, and do the same on the East Coast. Break the big server up into the little ones, so that it distributes the population across more servers.

If the intent is to make the game seem more alive, everyone should be on board with this, I look forward to your letters...

You might want to listen to this as Keith touches on the server merger issue http://badfeelingpodcast.com/audio/podcasts/episode_162_final.mp3