Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

I would love to see some server merges, I'm unsure if a Mega Server would really be needed but maybe merging each server with one other so as to half the number of servers on each side. (NA and EU)

BUT only do so if it is beneficial and maintainable from the devs end, nobody wants glitchy crashing servers or servers that can't handle the increased traffic without massive lag.

If people really want to play with others they will find a way even if there are only 2 people on a server. increased numbers wont always mean a better situation.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all these posts make no sense they only need 1 server and I hope they do it soon without any issues.

No, not always the case, as people with different play styles Need to be Respected. Which most people do Not these days.

The Servers would be better Merged if they were Merged together by Playstyle first, then if they have to, and i would hope not. But if they have to, then merge all different servers together with the East and West Coast APAC, EU, etc.

all these posts make no sense they only need 1 server and I hope they do it soon without any issues.

Please be considerate of people who don't live in Texas. No one wants high latency. Ok. Thanks. I will unsubscribe immediately if everything merged into one server. Us APAC players already have the cards stacked against us. I see people cry over more than 90 ms. Well mine is at 185-220ms. If it increases because it needs to go to one server in central USA then I'm done.

What about the assets guilds have. Guild ships alone without the other room unlocks and their decorations are 50m. Guild strongholds cost 3 times the amount of personal strongholds and the decorations on top of that. Then you have the guild banks.

Furthermore a lot of us have at least 3-4 strongholds not to mention the outfits unlocked. I have 16 outfits unlocked and from all the information you have to redo the outfits and that includes the dyes and some people have black/black dyes and if you are lucky to get those for 2 million but most of the time they run higher than that.

So any approach that doesn't deal with the assets is idiotic.

That's the point - what Blizzard did with WoW allowed guilds to remain exactly as they were - but with the bonus of a much bigger community to recruit against. Well worth researching the facts next time before trying to be smart...

Please be considerate of people who don't live in Texas. No one wants high latency. Ok. Thanks. I will unsubscribe immediately if everything merged into one server. Us APAC players already have the cards stacked against us. I see people cry over more than 90 ms. Well mine is at 185-220ms. If it increases because it needs to go to one server in central USA then I'm done.

I'm in NZ and my eastcoast is around 220 and harb 150-180

That's the point - what Blizzard did with WoW allowed guilds to remain exactly as they were - but with the bonus of a much bigger community to recruit against. Well worth researching the facts next time before trying to be smart...

This is the way to go. It solves all the problems being brought up, but is does not create some of the problems people are listing that will happen with mega servers. Guilds stay the same, everyone keeps their name and there is 24/7 group content. I have an earlier post where I listed the pros and cons. All that needs to be done is create a cross server group queue and everyone will be happy. Two mega servers will not provide 24/7 group content. I work second shift, so when I get home from work, most of the east coast players are asleep, but the west coast is still hopping. It would be the same for west coasters on a second shift work schedule, when they get home, the east coast morning time players are getting online. So an east and west coast mega server would not provide 24/7 group content to all work schedules.

One server essentially kills the game for anyone in the APAC region who plays lag sensitive content like pvp.

I'm in Sydney and it often sits at 220-240ms.. with regular spikes to 300ms..

You're lucky you are in NZ because you probably use a different sub cable.

Also people need to consider Aussies who don't live on our east coast. If you live in Adelaide or Tasmania you will have even higher lag.

Then you also have people who live in Asia, not just ANZAC's. APAC doesn't just mean NZ and the Aussie East coast as most people in the states think

Edited by Icykill_

Yea I know. I know I have an idea for those that are screaming and stomping their feet ignoring the problems we will let them pay for everything everyone loses and see how they like that.

Yes, not only should they have to repay (both in credits and in real world money) everything players forced to merge will lose in said merger, but they should be the ones to have to give up their character names and guild names if it turns out there's a conflict as a result of the merges! How about it, pro-merge players? Are you willing to accept those terms? :p

Obviously I'm being facetious here, and don't actually expect that to happen. But really now... why should the people who don't want to move have to sacrifice over 5 years of time and effort spent, while the people trying to advocate for everyone being forcibly merged to their own server so they can get slightly faster queue pops wouldn't have to give up anything? It isn't fair, and it isn't acceptable. Until EAWare can 100% absolutely positively guarantee the intact transfer of all character and guild assets, server merges should be off the table.

Honestly, as I've said in the past, I'd much rather they try to see if they can make cross-server queuing work again. Allegedly they tried it in the past and they had problems with players not being returned to their proper servers afterwards, so I understand why they didn't implement it back then. However, I'm hoping with the move to a new datacenter, maybe the expertise and architecture will be in place for them to try this again. It would solve the vast majority of the "Merge all servers!" advocates' complaints in one fell swoop.

Edited by AscendingSky

Melbourne here, and mine is higher. Harb is 185-220. East Coast servers are about 320 with spikes up to 600 on a good night it may be as low as 240. My lag comes from the transpacific cable. You probably do not have as far to go as I do and may use a different cable.

Honestly, I am against mega-servers as they've proven to ruin all RP communities they've ever touched (GW2, ESO, Wildstar)

If you want megaservers, at least leave Ebon Hawk and The Progenitor alone. The issue with Megaservers is that you usually can't see everyone as it's limited to how many players can be on screen at once. And the RP events in this game are freaking gigantic with 50-120 people usually participating on Ebon Hawk.

There's also the case about trolls and non-rpers which'll ruin what we have on Ebon Hawk.

What you could do is to merge the non-rp servers though. I think that would definitely be the best way.

And RP accommodations does not mean a separate instance like pvp. That will not work as people will get on that instance and harass and grief rp.

Would just prefer that a rp server like Ebon Hawk stay just the way it is and not be merged with a server, say like, Harbinger.

And if you merged servers this time be sure the assets are done better than they were or better yet transfer guilds in tact with all their assets without having to jump through hoops to get the guild restarted and all the assets back.

Yes, I agree with this. Let Ebon Hawk and The Progenitor stay the way they are so avoid trolls and non-rpers and then merge the other realms into one big one.

• Dev Post

Just wanna pop in and say, keep the feedback coming! The team has been actively discussing the thread and we appreciate everyone's viewpoints. For the most part the thread has been constructive and devoid of personal attacks, keep that coming!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

"A guy" - how many reports do you think will flood on once people cotton on to the fact something actually happens about them?

Yes, "a guy". Since there were only 118 people on Harbinger Pub Fleet last night, I don't think the task could possibly be THAT overwhelming once a few well known trolls are silenced. Even if it takes a day or two to review the logs, it's better than never like it is now.

They could also task some of the cs agents with this duty, as the reports ebb and flow.

Absolutely they should be used for this - it falls under their tasks imo as well (harassment).

I believe Guild Wars 2 did this on launch. Huge numbers of people received temporary or permanent bans after chat logs were reviewed due to inappropriate behaviour. I remember they posted on Reddit some of the chat by those claiming they were wrongly banned, absolutely hilarious.
I LOVE THIS!!! More companies need to name and shame their trolls. I can only hope EA comes to the same conclusion.

Honestly, I am against mega-servers as they've proven to ruin all RP communities they've ever touched (GW2, ESO, Wildstar)

If you want megaservers, at least leave Ebon Hawk and The Progenitor alone. The issue with Megaservers is that you usually can't see everyone as it's limited to how many players can be on screen at once. And the RP events in this game are freaking gigantic with 50-120 people usually participating on Ebon Hawk.

There's also the case about trolls and non-rpers which'll ruin what we have on Ebon Hawk.

What you could do is to merge the non-rp servers though. I think that would definitely be the best way.

I totally agree.

Yes, not only should they have to repay (both in credits and in real world money) everything players forced to merge will lose in said merger, but they should be the ones to have to give up their character names and guild names if it turns out there's a conflict as a result of the merges! How about it, pro-merge players? Are you willing to accept those terms? :p

Obviously I'm being facetious here, and don't actually expect that to happen. But really now... why should the people who don't want to move have to sacrifice over 5 years of time and effort spent, while the people trying to advocate for everyone being forcibly merged to their own server so they can get slightly faster queue pops wouldn't have to give up anything? It isn't fair, and it isn't acceptable. Until EAWare can 100% absolutely positively guarantee the intact transfer of all character and guild assets, server merges should be off the table.

Honestly, as I've said in the past, I'd much rather they try to see if they can make cross-server queuing work again. Allegedly they tried it in the past and they had problems with players not being returned to their proper servers afterwards, so I understand why they didn't implement it back then. However, I'm hoping with the move to a new datacenter, maybe the expertise and architecture will be in place for them to try this again. It would solve the vast majority of the "Merge all servers!" advocates' complaints in one fell swoop.

Oh I know I wasn't serious either but wanted to get the point across to those that are not even listening to the problems a merger will create. Some only want more ques for pvp and Pugs when that is probably not going to happen. There are some of us that never do that so that is not going to help them. You can't force a person to que for pvp or Pugs. I do pvp very very rarely and Pugs nope. I group up with my boyfriend and friends to do flashpoints, uprising, etc.

Oh I know I wasn't serious either but wanted to get the point across to those that are not even listening to the problems a merger will create. Some only want more ques for pvp and Pugs when that is probably not going to happen. There are some of us that never do that so that is not going to help them. You can't force a person to que for pvp or Pugs. I do pvp very very rarely and Pugs nope. I group up with my boyfriend and friends to do flashpoints, uprising, etc.

I'm one of the minority of the RPers I know that actively runs FPs/ops on a regular basis. Most RPers I know don't even touch the Group Finder for anything, PvE or PvP. They spend at least 95% of their time in this game roleplaying. Forcing them to move to another non-RP server therefore wouldn't improve queue times. It wouldn't improve server population either, as most of them would get tired of constantly being harassed and griefed by toxic non-RPers and quit the game.

Just wanna pop in and say, keep the feedback coming! The team has been actively discussing the thread and we appreciate everyone's viewpoints. For the most part the thread has been constructive and devoid of personal attacks, keep that coming!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

This made me chuckle

HI my maintoon is soldierkatarn on harbinger.

I been here for 3 years, i started on a RP server (bergen colony) by accident because I didn't know what RP is...LOL

Well during my time on that RP server, i learned that RP can get annoying in the chat a lot. NOW NOTE I'M NOT SAYING RP IS BAD. what im saying is the people who do just PVE or just PVP don't want RPers in the main server because they would be trying to RP while someone is trying to LFM...for an op..or RPing during a pvp match. Just like they don't wanna be interrupted while they trying to RP. One post I saw was the idea of merging PVE and PVP servers into an west and east coast megaserver and leave rp servers alone.. To add to this; combine all US rp servers into 2 US rp server just for RP. SO 1 pve/pvp for west coast, 1 RP for west coast, 1 RP for east coast and 1pve/pvp for east coast, This i think would be the best solution to solve both social issues between pvp vs pve vs RP and connection issues with west and east, (this same method would apply to other countries as well like german or french etc,,,,)

4 mega servers:

US East

US West

Central Europe

Australia

All servers have 3 instances, pve, PvP, and rp.

As has been explained multiple times in this thread, an RP instance will not help protect RPers from being harassed by toxic individuals. We have to deal with enough of that on our own servers. We don't want to deal with Harbinger levels of toxicity. Leave the RP servers alone please--especially Ebon Hawk, which has the second highest population of any NA server and doesn't need mergers regardless.

Edited by AscendingSky

As has been explained multiple times in this thread, an RP instance will not help protect RPers from being harassed by toxic individuals. We have to deal with enough of that on our own servers. We don't want to deal with Harbinger levels of toxicity. Leave the RP servers alone please--especially Ebon Hawk, which has the second highest population of any NA server and doesn't need mergers regardless.

This is why I posted my idea,

HI my maintoon is soldierkatarn on harbinger.

I been here for 3 years, i started on a RP server (bergen colony) by accident because I didn't know what RP is...LOL

Well during my time on that RP server, i learned that RP can get annoying in the chat a lot. NOW NOTE I'M NOT SAYING RP IS BAD. what im saying is the people who do just PVE or just PVP don't want RPers in the main server because they would be trying to RP while someone is trying to LFM...for an op..or RPing during a pvp match. Just like they don't wanna be interrupted while they trying to RP. One post I saw was the idea of merging PVE and PVP servers into an west and east coast megaserver and leave rp servers alone.. To add to this; combine all US rp servers into 2 US rp server just for RP. SO 1 pve/pvp for west coast, 1 RP for west coast, 1 RP for east coast and 1pve/pvp for east coast, This i think would be the best solution to solve both social issues between pvp vs pve vs RP and connection issues with west and east, (this same method would apply to other countries as well like german or french etc,,,,)