[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Because they disabled them so our clients wouldn't blow up in fleet with another 150 people in screen jumping around??????

Seriously, there is no way that the game is downloading these textures on the fly. The amount of data being transmitted when the servers were at their capacity would have clogged even the mightiest line. It also doesn't explain why a slow connection speed would load the game about as fast as any other computer.

Uh.. what. You think the game downloads textures on the fly..?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/protected/

Look familar to the game screenshots?

Wrong Tree, wrong technique.

The assets for the game are in the TOR files, as people have already extracted them. (Look around Xentax)

What your looking at is a renderer on a network that holds the data for gheometry and sends it to a client over a network to display.

What we have a Renderer Separate from the Main Game Process on the Same Machine that Renders the Display for the Game.

Edited by Lemon_King

Wow,

Bioware I'm ashamed of you!

To hand us that load of lies is beyond compare. I'm not even sure I want to play your game anymore.

This wasn't a bug. There is more than enough proof of that fact.

Fix it, or loose all credibility.

I think I'm going to be sick. This is the last thing I was expecting to hear from Bioware: a lie.

I really don't know what to say except I'm gone in 1 week. Forget it. There is no way in hell I'm going to play a 2012 MMO that has the texture quality of World of Warcraft when I saw high-res nice textures in Beta.

I'm not going to stand here and be straight-up lied to.

were all playing the game instead of spending 400 posts complaining about something thats not happening any time soon. Its a let down, but we wont let it bring us down.

We continue to play cuz we appreciate the game for what it is.

YEAH! THATS THE RIGHT ATTITUDE! BioWare is lieing to us and copy protects a MMORPG and we should just go on and pay the fees. I...

don't...

think ...

so.

http://uninsubria.academia.edu/MarcoTarini/Papers/777839/Protected_interactive_3D_graphics_via_remote_rendering

Here's a post that somebody had included from the massively.joystiq page talking about this issue -- someone linked this paper which discusses what is essentially copyright-protection via remote 3d rendering. Having flipped through it a little bit, the specific details involved in "remote rendering" have caught my eye, and I'm looking at it a bit more before I hop to any conclusions.

I HIGHLY recommend everyone taking a look at that paper ... as there are some pictures that certainly scare me re: the texture issue on there... (client-side vs. server-side resolution, for example)

yikes!

Quoted from massively user Deliverator:

Massively - what you missed is that the High Rez textures worked fine in the Beta. For release, they implemented REMOTE RENDERING. What's actually happening is that they can't handle the network traffic generated by remotely rendering higher rez textures.

I hope people realize that if it was being rendered on remote servers, over the internet, the moment you lost your internet connection, you wouldn't see anything new and would be stuck on the same, degraded, or blank, screen?

I also hope that people realize that this is not the case...

Typically these vicious, mouth foaming, swarm posts have at least 1 fanboy that breaks up every 3 negative posts with his rainbow gun. Oddly enough I don't see any of that here, very few. Guess that shows how many people are really confused with this. I know I am - I just don't get it. Real answers would be swell.

Wow, this is really disappointing, but not surprising. Considering that the game has performance issues already even on high-end PCs, I knew there was no way they could allow high-quality character textures without incurring major complaints about performance. SR says a lot of stuff in his post, but the bottom line is that the game's engine is not good enough to offer better quality graphics.

I'm going to say what I think a lot of people are probably thinking: the SWTOR engine sucks. I don't use the word "sucks" often. In fact, I think that's the first time I typed that word on these forums. But that's how I feel about it. In its current form, SWTOR is a technical lemon. The story, sound and voiceover is awesome, but the limitations of the engine (not only graphics, but also issues with clunky gameplay and bugs) are severely holding the game back.

The good news is it's an MMO, and they can improve it. But they really have a lot of work to do to get the game up to par.

http://uninsubria.academia.edu/MarcoTarini/Papers/777839/Protected_interactive_3D_graphics_via_remote_rendering

Here's a post that somebody had included from the massively.joystiq page talking about this issue -- someone linked this paper which discusses what is essentially copyright-protection via remote 3d rendering. Having flipped through it a little bit, the specific details involved in "remote rendering" have caught my eye, and I'm looking at it a bit more before I hop to any conclusions.

I HIGHLY recommend everyone taking a look at that paper ... as there are some pictures that certainly scare me re: the texture issue on there... (client-side vs. server-side resolution, for example)

yikes!

This is getting thrown around a lot, and it begs the question. Isn't this something that can be tested by watching the internet connection with wireshark or something? Not really my area, but it seems to be in the realm of possible...unless they are also encrypting it too

I hope people realize that if it was being rendered on remote servers, over the internet, the moment you lost your internet connection, you wouldn't see anything new and would be stuck on the same, degraded, or blank, screen?

I also hope that people realize that this is not the case...

It can get confusing but remote doesn't necessarily mean over the internet, it could be a locally hosted server, which some suspect is the purpose of the second swtor.exe process.

Also with caching there wouldn't necessarily be an immediate blackout or disconnect.

were all playing the game instead of spending 400 posts complaining about something thats not happening any time soon. Its a let down, but we wont let it bring us down.

We continue to play cuz we appreciate the game for what it is.

Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen.

While not game-breaking, you're looking at a game that set in comparison to other games, ten years older, look better than what this does. And performs better. I'd suggest you look a few pages back and have a look at how the game was promoted, and what was actually sold. I feel cheated, and rightfully so.

They are infact limiting the game's graphics cause "supposedly" the majority of the community run this game on low-end pc's.

The fact that we're not even given a choice is beyond ridiculous. And the fact that you're accepting this makes you look like a muppet.

They did respond. Do folks not read?

What they said is not acceptable. We do not accept to have these garbage textures in a 2012 game with a 300 million budget. Kay? They need to respond, that they are going to fix this RIGHT NOW, because soon there won't be anyone to respond to.

I hate this low-res texture issue as much as you guys and I'm most likely not resubbing for a while until a fix is made (even a self + companion option would suffice for me).

But let's stay logical guys, the idea of a remote-rendering method for a GAME with a high volume of people is just ludicrous, that Stanford model is not applicable to gaming environments.

I think I'm going to be sick. This is the last thing I was expecting to hear from Bioware: a lie.

I really don't know what to say except I'm gone in 1 week. Forget it. There is no way in hell I'm going to play a 2012 MMO that has the texture quality of World of Warcraft when I saw high-res nice textures in Beta.

OK - so it wasn't my imagination. I swear I remember a really nice robe my consular had... sometimes anyway... other times the texture would glitch.... this was back in April.

yikes!

Quoting Myself one last time:

Wrong Tree, wrong technique.

The assets for the game are in the TOR files, as people have already extracted them. (Look around Xentax)

What your looking at is a renderer on a network that holds the data for geometry and sends it to a client over a network to display.

What we have a Renderer Separate from the Main Game Process on the Same Machine that Renders the Display for the Game.

Edited by Lemon_King

Quoted from massively user Deliverator:

"THIS IS ALL CAUSED BY BIOWARE IMPLEMENTING REMOTE RENDERING AS A FORM OF COPY PROTECTION. THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING BETWEEN THE HIGH SETTINGS DURING BETA AND THE SETTINGS AVAILABLE NOW.

Massively - what you missed is that the High Rez textures worked fine in the Beta. For release, they implemented REMOTE RENDERING. What's actually happening is that they can't handle the network traffic generated by remotely rendering higher rez textures.

Let me repeat - High Rez doesn't work because of anti-piracy DRM shenanigans, not because they're concerned about players' machines. They're remote rendering so people who have purchased the game won't be able to dig through Lucas's precious artwork for their fan sites.

Again - they're remote rendering so you can't 'steal' what you bought already. Its copy protection and they're willing to go so far as to gimp the game and lie to cover it up.

Remote rendering is the cause of all of the frame drops and slow downs as well as advanced rendering features not working, We pay big money to buy the machines that have gigantic pipes between all of our components, especially to the GPUs. Internet throughput is nowhere near the bandwidth on your motherboard."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/11/swtor-senior-community-manager-responds-to-high-res-texture-conc/4#comments

Can that really be true? If so it would be a shocking development in this debacle. This kind of info needs to spread to the blogosphere!

LOL at Bioware is almost all I can say.

Man I defended them on every single thing but I can't anymore. Everyone realize that Bioware has just NOW come out and said it was intentional b/c of server limitations right?? Everyone realize they are only doing that b/c the community got into such an uproar. These fools actually thought they could simply put in a small patch note saying that it was fixed and people would just accept it and move on. THEY LIED TO US and they only came out with the truth today.

Even if you want to swallow this latest junk as truth (don't know why you would as they have lied already) that only makes them look even more incompetent. I can only imagine their meetings."Hey guys this is the most hyped MMO ever, we're spending tons of cash, it's Star Wars, HEY let's use an engine and servers that can't even handle high res textures"

In short, why would you choose to use an engine that is going to give you so many problems ahead of time?? The only answers possible is that you did know and thus you're stupid, or you didn't know it would and thus incompetent. Either way it's bad.

Proto, I share your pain. Not to rub it in, but WoW actually has better textures. No modern MMO has texture fidelity as bad as The Blurry Republic.