Is there any forthcoming PvP content in 3.0?

Jaiyne

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not announced, but I would hazard a guess that there will be something new for 3.0. At the very least a new gear grind.

Keep in mind that pvp has gotten stuff in the past year, this is the first new operation in over a year. They should be focusing on it.

• Dev Post
Conspicuously absent from the 3.0 announcement was a single drop of PvP content or news. Can we expect something?

Hey Jaiyne,

Good question, let me take a stab at this one. If you are asking specifically for news about new content, such as a Warzone or Arena map, then the answers is unfortunately no. There are no new maps, specific to PvP coming in the expansion.

However, if you are asking about changes coming to PvP then the answer is a resounding yes. Disciplines by itself will entirely change the landscape of Classes in PvP in 3.0 and shortly after 3.0 we will begin Season 4 of ranked play. In addition, there are a host of other global combat changes which will be coming as a part of 3.0 which will directly impact PvP. As just one example we are changing how set bonuses work! We will have more details on that, and all of the other global combat changes in a future livestream. So while there is no new specific PvP content in 3.0 there are many system updates and changes that affect every second of PvP coming!

As a reminder, we will be streaming tomorrow to showcase Disciplines. Then at some point in the coming weeks, we will do a secondary stream talking all about those global combat changes we referenced above.

Hope that answers the question!

-eric

Hey Jaiyne,

Good question, let me take a stab at this one. If you are asking specifically for news about new content, such as a Warzone or Arena map, then the answers is unfortunately no. There are no new maps, specific to PvP coming in the expansion.

However, if you are asking about changes coming to PvP then the answer is a resounding yes. Disciplines by itself will entirely change the landscape of Classes in PvP in 3.0 and shortly after 3.0 we will begin Season 4 of ranked play. In addition, there are a host of other global combat changes which will be coming as a part of 3.0 which will directly impact PvP. As just one example we are changing how set bonuses work! We will have more details on that, and all of the other global combat changes in a future livestream. So while there is no new specific PvP content in 3.0 there are many system updates and changes that affect every second of PvP coming!

As a reminder, we will be streaming tomorrow to showcase Disciplines. Then at some point in the coming weeks, we will do a secondary stream talking all about those global combat changes we referenced above.

-eric

Well, that is disappointing, but I appreciate that you told us now so that we can moderate our expectations.

Hey Jaiyne,

-eric

No Open World PvP... Incredible Disciplines "are for PvP balance" but no PvP content? :confused::confused::confused:

Hey Jaiyne,

-eric

So what your saying is No pvp work was done, and your going to try and sell your dumbed down talent tree as a pvp change. You clearly do not understand your player base.

No new "content" announced.

However, "new challenges" await PvPers when broken specs inevitably arise from the disciplines change, leading to OP FOTM classes that will not be balanced for at least 5-6 patches.

This is what is known as "Nightmare Mode PvP".

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20141006

Hey Jaiyne,

-eric

http://www.xxlmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/kanye-west-i-told-you-so.gif

Seriously, an expansion without PVP maps is quite disappointing... to stay polite.

Here is what an expansion should include:

- new PVP map(s)

- new flashpoints, not just taking existing ones and make them harm mode

- new operation(s)

- new planet(s)

- 5 to 10 more levels

Any less than that is a failure. An expansion should "Expand" every aspect of the game (PVP/PVE and solo/group content). If there was as much effort put in playable content as there is in cosmetic and CC crap, this game could really improve.

If you want to give something to the PVP community in 3.0, make it so that we can start purchasing regular endgame PVP gear 5 levels before the cap.

So for right now that would be level 50. After the expansion that will be 55.

FYI I'm only talking about purchasing the gear. Not wearing it. You still shouldn't be able to wear the gear until level cap but I think those of us that want to be able to take action before we hit level cap should be able to do so. This would help a lot for the endgame PVP gear grind and allow people to avoid having to work their way through being steamrolled constantly by players who are geared out.

I realize this doesn't help the people who are already at level cap. I have to admit that I don't have a good solution for those people. Maybe being able to trade Planetary comms for warzone comms? You can already do the reverse. And the endgame groupfinder dalies stop giving out planetary comms after a certain level?

As I said. Don't have a solution for level cap people but the ones who are leveling I belive should be able to start purchasing the Regular PVP gear a bit early.

No ranked though. Ranked should never be able to be gotten in any form until you hit level cap.

Hey Jaiyne,

-eric

So basically:

1) No new PvP content

2) 6 Months of H O R R I B L E PvP while you balance all the changes

Just keep in mind each xpac is a chance for players to re-evaluate what they play, do I level all my chars, just to end up in the same end game we had, or play a different game?

Thanks for the response. It's not terribly easy to swallow, though.

Doesn't data show how much people in the game PvP? Guessing it's a lot more than NiM ops raid (although I am happy for those too).

The one thing I was hoping to see since the answer is still "no" to x-realm queues is x-faction ranked queues. This would reduce the current pub side que-syncing that has killed solo pops on my server, which in turn killed group queue even more since many competitive PvPers had to leave the server to get actual fair queues.

Since pubs and imps now have to fight together against Revan it makes more sense now, right? Would be good to see this.

Edited by Jaiyne

If you are asking specifically for news about new content, such as a Warzone or Arena map, then the answers is unfortunately no. There are no new maps, specific to PvP coming in the expansion.

However, if you are asking about changes coming to PvP then the answer is a resounding yes.

Changes above the skill tree removal Eric? Like maybe a change to Resolve or Expertise? I know you probably can't directly answer that, but maybe you can confirm that there are some "mechanics" changing for PvP above and beyond the skill tree removal?

No new map(s) is really disappointing...

So basically:

1) No new PvP content

2) 6 Months of H O R R I B L E PvP while you balance all the changes

Just keep in mind each xpac is a chance for players to re-evaluate what they play, do I level all my chars, just to end up in the same end game we had, or play a different game?

The key is the "selection pool". IF they listen to PTS might not be awful.

Edited by Aetideus

maybe the want to balance out pvp before bringing new content? :/

LOL! Yeah, that's what it is. I'm sure they have 2-3 maps just waiting to drop...once the balance is fixed of course, because Bioware has been so great about balance in the past with this game. It took over a year from 2.0 to get "balance" addressed...

Hey Jaiyne,

-eric

Too bad and regarding PvP here's a biased take on the topic

• WZ always gets boring as doing the same thing for zillion of times isn't fun.
  • This game needs world PvP (=/= ganking).
  • People should not be required to be abused that much till they can earn the points to buy decent PvP gear.
  • PvP is now more a matter of gear than skill.
  • PvP gear ruins PvP, and makes a huge barrier for new players.
  • STUN Wars ruins the fun in PvP.
  • Ranked WZ should have the gear stats handled by the server so it's more about, you know... skill.
  • Ranked WZ should have rules for filling up the available slots, (cf hockey: you can't have two goalies in the field).
  • One should not be obliged to queue for WZ they don't like.
  • PvP abilities effects should be separated from PvE ones.
  • Players need to be able to have separate templates for PvP and PvE.